Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Heft posted:

Season 4

Season 4 is definitely the best Tennant year, and possibly the best RTD one too (an argument could be made for season 1) - I feel like he basically had everything running like a well-oiled machine by that point, which is part of what made the year of specials so disappointing, I'd hoped all that extra time would let him build on what he did right in season 4 and improve on things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Disagree. Midnight was very good, but everything else peaked at "ok" or, more frequently, was dreadful.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'd rank The Fires of Pompeii and the Library 2-parter as both being excellent, though the former is more due to the excellent interaction between the Doctor and Donna, and the way Donna forces the Doctor to question his own sense of what is right, proves willing to share the burden he carries, and then doesn't let it poison her soul and forces him to take action as well.

The Sontaran 2-parter is a guilty pleasure of mine, and Stolen Earth/Journey's End is complete madness, but in a way I found tremendously enjoyable (other than that nonsense with Rose and Dildo-Doctor). Midnight, as noted, is also great. Turn Left is okay in parts and nonsense in others, and Partners in Crime is utterly stupid but saved by the immediate chemistry between Tennant and Tate.

The Doctor's Daughter and The Unicorn and the Wasp though are two of the worst episodes of RTD's entire run, and two of the worst of the revival as a whole. :(

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

and Partners in Crime is utterly stupid but saved by the immediate chemistry between Tennant and Tate.

Fires is ok, but the whole nonsense about the fixed points in time really doesn't make any sense in the episode as presented, and the comedy Cambridge Latin Course family was, like most comedy in modern Doctor Who, not very funny.
I'm not a fan of the Library two parter, as has been talked about previously, and Journey's End is absolutely dire apart from when Davros is talking.

Agreed on the rest.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I hope they have Julian Bleach back whenever Davros inevitably returns. He was great in the role.

While one can debate the merits of "The Stolen Earth" / "Journey's End", they were a much better finale for the RTD era as a whole than "The End of Time".

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Welp, I hope there aren't any problems with my gift getting to my Santee, because I realized about ten minutes after mailing it this morning that I didn't include a return address. :doh:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I think I got my gift from my Santa. I've received a small envelope addressed to 'The_Doctor'. So we'll see.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

The_Doctor posted:

I think I got my gift from my Santa. I've received a small envelope addressed to 'The_Doctor'. So we'll see.

Five bucks when you open it, it says "Run, you clever boy."

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

CobiWann posted:

Five bucks when you open it, it says "Run, you clever boy."

I would be slightly mad.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Night Thoughts

I think my problem, more than the Doctor's moral conundrum, is that each plot point gets telegraphed by foreshadowing about ten minutes ahead of when the revelation comes. It makes the story feel a bit padded at times. Lizzie Hopley does an okay job, but there's only so many times they can do the creepy rabbit voice doing its sort of call and answer before it stops being creepy and starts to grate.

It does have a great atmosphere throughout most of it and uses its genre well. It makes a choice and sticks with it, which is something I wish the revival would do a bit more often.

My commute this morning brought me to the fourth part of Circular Time, and I'd just like to note that it is really, really rude of the eight hour workday to interrupt me in the middle of a very good audio drama.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Bicyclops posted:

My commute this morning brought me to the fourth part of Circular Time, and I'd just like to note that it is really, really rude of the eight hour workday to interrupt me in the middle of a very good audio drama.

Winter is very good and very special. I can't wait for you to hear it.

Heft
Mar 31, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

The Doctor's Daughter and The Unicorn and the Wasp though are two of the worst episodes of RTD's entire run, and two of the worst of the revival as a whole. :(

Those are definitely the weak points of the season, though I still don't think they're actually terrible. I did find myself comparing The Unicorn and the Wasp to In the Forest of the Night, two middling-at-best episodes with stupid plots within two otherwise very good seasons. The main difference is that The Unicorn and the Wasp never wants us to take it seriously and is constantly, deliberately undercutting itself with comedy (or "comedy", if you prefer). It knows it's ridiculous and it just runs with it, while In the Forest of the Night actually tries to be serious about its stupid plot. So while there are elements of the latter that I prefer, I still find The Unicorn and the Wasp more palatable. "Oh, we're just being ridiculous and a bit dumb now? Okay. As long as we're all in on it."

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

edit: Oops, I just realized the talk of archives was in the other other Who thread. Oh well, makes more sense to post this in this thread, so I'll keep it here.

People were talking old Doctor Who talk before the revival, but all that really did was make me wonder how the show was received as soon as it came back here, so I went looking. In case anyone has archives and wants to check out the very first thread of the revival, it's here.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1484492

Some highlights from glancing over it.

quote:

Davies's dialogue is a triumph. Rose is packed to the gills with great one liners...

I'm not sure if he means the episode Rose or the character Rose. Either way...

quote:

I hope they start to acknowledge the old shows at some point. I was expecting to see pictures of the past Doctors when Clive was showing Rose the pics. I think that seeing a shot of Tom, Jon or Patrick would've been so much better than what they used.

They're going to have to wait a while there.

Meglar posted:

Oh jesus. I think I liked the FOX TV movie's control room better.

quote:

I just watched it, and I'm in shock.
I'm simultaneously shivering with delight that my favorite television show *ever* is finally going to be back on television, and wanting to punch Russell T Davies in the cock for even thinking that this qualifies as watchable television.

quote:

Rose was quite good. And Eccleston will be 10x better if he just tones it down a bit and goes back to playing The Doctor almost like he did in Second Coming.
Hoping for a toned down performance for the Doctor. Oh dear.

quote:

I just read in The Sun (lol factual) that in the new series, The Daleks will be able to fly. Yes, FLYING DALEKS. [snip] This is a very lovely idea.

quote:

I sincerely hope the force behind the genocide of the Time Lords isn't the daleks.

Having archives is pretty fun, y'all.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 16, 2014

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Jsor posted:

Since the season is over, how's that not terrible Doctor Who wiki coming, guys?

We got as far as the first designs for the site and then people stopped replying, so I guess it's not anymore.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I've had other things on my mind, sadly.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The best part about the old thread is the person who wants them to go back to the rubber suits.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

Something blue?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

BSam posted:

Something blue?

Close!

Seasonal depression, actually.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

BSam posted:

Something blue?

Perfume on a pig. :smuggo:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

Close!

Seasonal depression, actually.

Just wrap up warm and sit in front of a really nice full spectrum bulb, firing at full bloom. You could call yourself... Brightcoat! :haw:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

Just wrap up warm and sit in front of a really nice full spectrum bulb, firing at full bloom. You could call yourself... Brightcoat! :haw:

Full-spectrum bulbs are actually a realy good idea that I hadn't thought of. I may make it through the Great Grey Beast February with a bit more spring in my step...

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"
My santee can expect his gift on the 22nd. I had other things I wanted to include, but they're arriving too late to do so.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

DoctorWhat posted:

Good though, weren't they?

I'm sorry you''re having a bad season pal.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
My Santee should be getting an Amazon package in two days, as well as a smaller package I'll be sending out tonight.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

My pay was hosed up this month and I only got just under half of what I was owed, so my Santee is getting their presents late. To be fair so is everyone else I know.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I already sent out the stuff for my santees both in this thread and in the Transformers thread.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I sent my Santee's stuff out today via free work couriering. Hurrah for working for a big global firm who don't care! :)

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

thrawn527 posted:

edit: Oops, I just realized the talk of archives was in the other other Who thread. Oh well, makes more sense to post this in this thread, so I'll keep it here.

People were talking old Doctor Who talk before the revival, but all that really did was make me wonder how the show was received as soon as it came back here, so I went looking. In case anyone has archives and wants to check out the very first thread of the revival, it's here.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1484492

Some highlights from glancing over it.

I'm not sure if he means the episode Rose or the character Rose. Either way...

They're going to have to wait a while there.

Hoping for a toned down performance for the Doctor. Oh dear.

Having archives is pretty fun, y'all.

I don't have archives, but is there anything prophetic (or stupid) that I said? Nothing will top my ranting against Matt Smith's picture, but you never know. :allears:

I finished up another Peter Purves first Doctor Companion Chronicle today, The Perpetual Bond. You wouldn't think a first Doctor audio about 60s London merchantile traders would be interesting, but it was drat good. Stephen audios are rapidly becoming one of my favorite listens.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Astroman posted:

I don't have archives, but is there anything prophetic (or stupid) that I said? Nothing will top my ranting against Matt Smith's picture, but you never know. :allears:

I finished up another Peter Purves first Doctor Companion Chronicle today, The Perpetual Bond. You wouldn't think a first Doctor audio about 60s London merchantile traders would be interesting, but it was drat good. Stephen audios are rapidly becoming one of my favorite listens.

"Billie Piper is fairly 3 dimensional, not a Scream Queen, and has realistic reactions. "

For Shame Astroman! For Shame!

Also Surprising number of people really liked the 2nd episode: "The End of the World". I thought that was panned as pretty awful by our collective hivemind.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

adhuin posted:

Also Surprising number of people really liked the 2nd episode: "The End of the World". I thought that was panned as pretty awful by our collective hivemind.

Well, it was the second episode, so we still weren't sure what to expect. It's bad given ten years of experience with the revival, but by itself it's still got some pretty nice designs and ideas.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

BSam posted:

Apologies to the poor person who got me, I haven't had a shipping email yet so if there's nothing by the end of the week I'll be emailing someone sternly.

Just got the shipping notification, for part of it at least. Hope you enjoy.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Astroman posted:

Baby Astroman posted:

I would assume that "The Gallifrey Chronicles" will dovetail into this season and fit the two universes together, as did the last few Virgin books, which attempted to reconcile thier continuity with the TV movie.

but on the other hand

"Baby Astroman posted:

Actually Colin is my favorite Doctor.

drat straight.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

adhuin posted:

I thought it was regarded as "generally pretty great"? Maybe that's just because Nefud liked it so much.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

quote:

I was expecting to see pictures of the past Doctors when Clive was showing Rose the pics. I think that seeing a shot of Tom, Jon or Patrick would've been so much better than what they used.

Some bad opinions from the distant past. A bunch of different guys would have made no sense to Rose, what made her pay attention was that it was obviously Nine in all of them.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I thought it was regarded as "generally pretty great"? Maybe that's just because Nefud liked it so much.

I wasn't posting in the Doctor Who threads then, but I recall really enjoying it then and I still like it to this day - though admittedly mostly because I just love the scene where Rose suddenly realizes she's alone in the future in a room full of literal aliens and gets completely overwhelmed and has a bit of a panic attack.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I wasn't posting in the Doctor Who threads then, but I recall really enjoying it then and I still like it to this day - though admittedly mostly because I just love the scene where Rose suddenly realizes she's alone in the future in a room full of literal aliens and gets completely overwhelmed and has a bit of a panic attack.

I really like the bit at the end where Rose mourns over the remains of Earth.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

MikeJF posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXdRts6kJC0

drat good scene.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MikeJF posted:

I think it really fits well with the mindset of the Doctor that he considers showing Rose the destruction of the world as an inspirational thing. I don't mean that in a sarcastic way - I love that he rather than thinking,"This is the end and everything is ultimately futile!" he thinks,"This is the end of this planet, that means you guys survive all this time after all!".

The reveal that Cassandra's status as "last human" is an example of prejudice and that the human race actually long outlives/survives the planet of their birth is really quite sweet too. That Rose reacts to the mindbending implications of time travel with the Doctor when he takes her back to the present and she has to consider where everybody is now and where they're eventually going by saying,"Oh let's just get some chips!" is kinda perfect too :)

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I like pretty much everything the first time I see it unless it's one of the very few things unlucky enough to trigger a gut hatred. I really only can do "this episode was bad" in retrospect. If I was posting in Who threads at the time, I probably would have been like "Wow, Love and Monsters was pretty okay, huh guys? I really liked the focus on how peoples friendships can grow beyond the reasons they originally got together. :v:"

End of the World I think in retrospect is just pretty mediocre though. I remember when I saw it at first just thinking it was kind of boring, and that Cassandra was sort of weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
That’s what I liked about how Rose was portrayed early in the show. She saw all of time and space not as some big mind-bending, philosophy altering concept, but one big caravan holiday with a new friend, as opposed to someone like Adam Mitchell, who saw all of time and space and thought “what can it do to benefit me?”

If anything, I still remain amazed as just how good Billie Piper was. All I knew of her was “British pop tart,” but she really impressed me during Season 1, especially in Dalek.

Edit – It’s Adam Mitchell, not David Mitchell.

Edit 2 – I’m with you, Jsor. Unless something is horrendously bad (aka Kill the Moon), I like everything for at least 24-48 hours until it’s had time to sink in. A lot of episodes have been enjoyable on the surface, but flawed underneath once some thought has been put into it. Even then, I’ll still say “eh, I had fun WHILE I was watching it, so it was worth an hour of my time.” For example, I still enjoy 42, even though it’s not one of the better episodes with the phone call to Martha’s mom subplot, because of the pub quiz aspect and watching my good friend’s near glee at a sweaty and overheated David Tennant...

It’s why I will never understand “hate watching.” Good television is worth discussing after the fact. Bad television deserves to be forgotten after the episode ends. Except, of course, for Timelash.

CobiWann fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Dec 17, 2014

• Locked thread