Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Is this the thread to come to so I can bellyache over American stop signs being octagons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Welcome.

Also, American licence plates are nice and don't bother anyone as long as they are legible.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Sheng-Ji Yang fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Dec 16, 2014

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Phlegmish posted:

I bet they are using pre-2011metrics for Libya.

The time frame being '2009-2013' makes it a somewhat dubious map, especially since 2009 was when a major recession had just started.

In this year's estimates Libya still beats Russia in HDI, despite her continued fall through the ladder. It remains on par with Bulgaria and Romania. In GDP PC. PPP, it is behind Russia but ahead of Bulgaria and Romania. So by most metrics they are doing surprisingly well.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

I misspoke in my last post, I meant as long they are illegible :v:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Fun fact: you can choose a personalized text on your plate here in Germany too, but the DMV refuses to give out plates with known nazi symbols. I'm not sure why it's necessary though, Mr. "SSwlRSagn88" will probably learn his lesson all by himselft after getting his tires slashed and his door keyed for the tenth time.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
How many actual sons of confederate veterans are even alive nowadays?

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 16, 2014

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Star Man posted:

Is this the thread to come to so I can bellyache over American stop signs being octagons?

what savage country doesn't have octagonal stop signs?

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
I just miss the days when license plates were in the shapes of the states

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

BBJoey posted:

Too many. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_sign#Stop_signs_around_the_world

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

BBJoey posted:

Japan

Zimbabwe

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Did somebody say octagons

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
It's kind of surprising that the NWO don't want to control Toronto with their octagons. I mean Nova Scotia and Newfoundland fair enough but Toronto is a major global city.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Star Man posted:

Now you've reminded me of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czv7MR4tNsU

kalstrams posted:

Japan

Zimbabwe

Japan's looks like a yield sign, probably not the best replacement considering how much we acknowledge those.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

cheerfullydrab posted:

But again, cars are almost entirely a personal expression. Why does the government-mandated area of cars have to have smiley suns? It's awful.

cheerfullydrab posted:

If governments have decided that a teeny tiny area of a car has to display a number, why does that area have to have aesthetics involved? Why does there have to be political wrangling about it? Why do people have to pay extra money to have that identifying area prettied up in their own way? There's so much of a car, including the car itself, that can be used for personal expression.

cheerfullydrab posted:

I still don't see the need for colorful license plates. You can cover literally 99% of the car in decals, artwork, signs, paint it fancy colors, put stuff in the windows, anything you want in the whole world to show where you're from, or your interests, or the things you think are pretty. What's wrong with the one little license plate area being just informational? What's so wrong about that? It's a total waste.

WE GET IT.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Individuality is inefficiency. Conformity is strength.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Don't worry, most of our states make up for it with really boring flags.

Eh, to be fair, they aren't all terrible. There are a few interesting designs, Alaska, Arizona, and New Mexico in particular. Its just that the ~40 other states seem to just really like "Boring Emblem on Blue Background" and "Variation of US flag" for whatever reason.

Bonus: Hawaii is using the Union Jack, and Mississippi is still flying the Confederate battle flag :stare:

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 16, 2014

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Overlapping Arctic claims.

In light of: "Denmark challenges Russia and Canada over North Pole"

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Any values in these chunks of ice?

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Kurtofan posted:

Any values in these chunks of ice?

I can't think of anything there that could possibly attract the desire of so many nearby states.

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Dec 16, 2014

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

VerdantSquire posted:

Its just that the ~40 other states seem to just really like "Boring Emblem on Blue Background"
If I recall correctly, the apparent popularity of this flag design is because the old regimental flags (or some other sort of military flag, I forget exactly) were basically all "state seal on blue field" and a lot of these were subsequently designated as official state flags.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
I love whoever found a justification for claiming all that. It's hilarious to me how massive our claim is.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

steinrokkan posted:

UFC marketing is getting really weird.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I love whoever found a justification for claiming all that. It's hilarious to me how massive our claim is.

Why? Greenland is a significant landmass bordering the Arctic Ocean, and claiming more than you expect is standard negotiation tactic.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

All the more reason for Greenland to declare independence from Denmark and become rich by auctioning off drilling and exploration rights on their claim! :20bux:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

TheImmigrant posted:

Why? Greenland is a significant landmass bordering the Arctic Ocean, and claiming more than you expect is standard negotiation tactic.
It's not that the claim is so huge, it's more that we're in a position to actually claim it. Also that we're competing against Russia, and to a lesser extend, Canada.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

cheerfullydrab posted:

If governments have decided that a teeny tiny area of a car has to display a number, why does that area have to have aesthetics involved?

Because it's something that's required to be present you dumbo. And because it's a massive revenue source - some states charge upwards of hundreds of dollars extra per year to people for certain styles.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

The correct answer is, it doesn't have to have aesthetics involved. It can have aesthetics involved, just like any other part of the car. Or, another way to put it, everything has aesthetics involved, and there's no way to remove the aesthetic aspect from anything.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I didn't have to pay anything extra for my "Lincoln Boyhood Home" Indiana license plate.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

VerdantSquire posted:

Mississippi is still flying the Confederate battle flag :stare:

Allow me to blow your mind:

First Confederate flag

Georgia's current flag

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Peanut President posted:

Allow me to blow your mind:

First Confederate flag

Georgia's current flag

Just a reminder that they went to this AFTER this abomination:

Which they only switched to only after enough people complained about THIS:

Funny that the former still incorporated the latter flag so it's not really better!

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

"I can't name any real harm but on the other hand I wouldn't personally do it so it shouldn't be allowed" is the most primal sort of conservatism, but since it doesn't explicitly mention states' rights or Jesus it's still okay with a lot of people who would never identify as such.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Alright I went overboard, I apologize. We've all got those strange things that just piss us off quite a lot for no good reason and colorful license plates is one of mine.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Just a reminder that they went to this AFTER this abomination:

Which they only switched to only after enough people complained about THIS:

Literally worse than flying a nazi flag.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

steinrokkan posted:

You know, I used to live in Octagon 5 and I really don't remember it being that big.

At least this map gets the most important thing in the Arctic right...

DrSunshine posted:

Overlapping Arctic claims.

Ugh, that Beaufort sea triangle is the worst. The border goes straight up 141W between Yukon and Alaska and then the US has it going off all crazy. DON'T THEY KNOW ABOUT PRETTY BORDERS :argh:

But seriously, this would be a lot simpler if we all just agreed on the sector principle.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

I like how clearly you can identify the confederacy on this map.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Nintendo Kid posted:

Literally worse than flying a nazi flag.

Well, it could be argued that the southern states do it out of recognition and pride in their heritage, rather than a direct glorification of Slavery. On the otherhand, that is literally the equivalent of a German hanging Nazi flags around because they were proud of their nation's military history.

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 17, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

VerdantSquire posted:

Well, it could be argued that the southern states do it out of recognition and pride in their heritage, rather than a direct glorification of Slavery. On the otherhand, that is literally the equivalent of a German hanging Nazi flags around because they were proud of their military history.

No what I mean is that that early 2000s Georgia flag design is so awful that it's aesthetically less appealing to see flying than a Nazi flag.Everything about it is done wrong, it's the antithesis of flag design.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

Nintendo Kid posted:

No what I mean is that that early 2000s Georgia flag design is so awful that it's aesthetically less appealing to see flying than a Nazi flag.Everything about it is done wrong, it's the antithesis of flag design.

From a vexillogist and flag enthusiast point of view the nazi flag would actually be considered as an example of a pretty great flag, although the circle with the swastika wasn't centred for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCarrot
Jun 9, 2010
I'm not seeing any resemblance at all to the Confederate flag in those of Louisiana, Virginia, or South Carolina, and only the faintest link in North Carolina.