Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I've heard Harbaugh come up a couple times to fill in the opening that Miami will probably have this offseason, and of course Miami's owner is a Michigan alum. It'll be interesting if it comes down to those two spots, though naturally Harbaugh turned down Miami before and we don't even know if there will be a vacancy there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

C-Euro posted:

I've heard Harbaugh come up a couple times to fill in the opening that Miami will probably have this offseason, and of course Miami's owner is a Michigan alum. It'll be interesting if it comes down to those two spots, though naturally Harbaugh turned down Miami before and we don't even know if there will be a vacancy there.

Miami's owner is Michigan's biggest donor. He has already made it clear that he wants Harbaugh at Michigan, not Miami.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

AsInHowe posted:

The only flaw in the mechanics is that he doesn't necessarily need to be traded to coach. He can come to Michigan immediately, or, if reports are accurate, San Francisco will cut their losses and get rid of him without a trade because they need a coach in 2015.

They have absolutely zero reason to do that. Why give up leverage (and money) to help a guy you don't like?

AsInHowe posted:

In the larger picture, I think Harbaugh knows what he wants to do. I think he's known for a while, and it's all a matter of clocks expiring. I don't think the NFL people are credible sources, in all honesty. I think most of the mainstream media stuff has been hyped up, and I think Harbaugh wants to come to Michigan, put things back in order, then hand the program off once a quality NFL job opens up. Harbaugh wants to win, and he wants to win now. It will be easier in Ann Arbor than in New York, Oakland, or Chicago. And if you're gonna take time off from the NFL to wait for a better option down the line, why not go somewhere where that gap year would make you beloved for life?

And there's the homer goggles.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 16, 2014

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

And there's the homer goggles.

Look at it like the Bo Pelini situation in another thread. It's the same thing, only an NFL team and a college team, instead of a major college team and a minor college team.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

AsInHowe posted:

Look at it like the Bo Pelini situation in another thread. It's the same thing, only an NFL team and a college team, instead of a major college team and a minor college team.

Those aren't even close to being the same situations.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Those aren't even close to being the same situations.

At this point, every NFL job that is rumored for Harbaugh is a terrible situation. Unless he's given absolute complete control, why would you go somewhere that will just devalue your coaching stock and reputation?

The last major 49ers coach was Steve Mariucci, he left the 49ers for a terrible team and now he's on NFL Network.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

AsInHowe posted:

At Michigan, Harbaugh's already been promised full control of everything, more money than anywhere else, and pretty much anything else he'd want.

Offer me money.

Yes!

Power, too. Promise me that.

All that I have and more. Please!

Offer me anything I ask for.

Anything you want!

I want to win a Super Bowl, you son of a bitch!

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

AsInHowe posted:

At this point, every NFL job that is rumored for Harbaugh is a terrible situation. Unless he's given absolute complete control, why would you go somewhere that will just devalue your coaching stock and reputation?

The last major 49ers coach was Steve Mariucci, he left the 49ers for a terrible team and now he's on NFL Network.

Get this: Michigan is a bad situation.

The Jets aren't as bad as their record and really just need someone who can throw a football to be decent; Miami was competing for most of the season and has a good base to work with -- and yes yes I know you think Miami isn't going to hire him but that's really just kind of silly to think; Chicago has a ton of talent; the Raiders are a dumpster fire, yes.

But all of those programs are going to offer him a silly amount of money and don't require him to pay money to take the job.

Again, I don't think Michigan is completely out of the realm of things that could happen, but I don't think it's his Option A by any means and if you're Michigan you're playing an awfully risky game there.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The Jets are really really bad outside of the defensive line and that's not factoring in that Ryan likely has the defense playing well above it's actual talent level.

punched my v-card at camp
Sep 4, 2008

Broken and smokin' where the infrared deer plunge in the digital snake

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Again, I don't think Michigan is completely out of the realm of things that could happen, but I don't think it's his Option A by any means and if you're Michigan you're playing an awfully risky game there.

Michigan also very well could be being played here by Harbaugh and his folks. If he wants to stay in the NFL, he won't want his new team to cripple themselves in order to get him via a trade. Threatening to go to Michigan is a great way to compel SF to lower their price in a potential trade.

Also it makes no sense for SF to fire him. He'll either void his contract by accepting a job at UM, or they can trade him. It's pure delusion to think that they'll give up all their leverage just to enable Michigan, or whatever other reason y'all think they'll just willingly pay him not to coach there AND get nothing in return.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

The Jets are really really bad outside of the defensive line and that's not factoring in that Ryan likely has the defense playing well above it's actual talent level.

They've ran the ball extremely well (they're 2nd in the NFL) and their defense has largely been good -- though some of that could be Rex. I honestly think if they had a remotely decent QB they wouldn't have been so bad. But like we've said, I don't think anyone really knows what he wants to do and I think it would be silly to think that he'd make a decision before the other NFL teams can even make an offer.

I additionally think that almost has to mean that option 2 is Greg Schiano.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 16, 2014

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

You also have the possibility that the 49ers fire their general manager and extend Harbaugh.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Jim Harbaugh is negotiating a buyout with San Francisco, per a desk editor at the Detroit News.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

They've ran the ball extremely well (they're 2nd in the NFL) and their defense has largely been good -- though some of that could be Rex. I honestly think if they had a remotely decent QB they wouldn't have been so bad. But like we've said, I don't think anyone really knows what he wants to do and I think it would be silly to think that he'd make a decision before the other NFL teams can even make an offer.

I additionally think that almost has to mean that option 2 is Greg Schiano.

Second option for Michigan, or for the Jets? Although my personal read on this saga more closely aligns with yours over Howe's, I really don't think Michigan will be hiring Greg Schiano over other candidates. I think that's your desire to see Michigan gently caress this up shining through.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

DinosaurEggSalad posted:

Michigan also very well could be being played here by Harbaugh and his folks. If he wants to stay in the NFL, he won't want his new team to cripple themselves in order to get him via a trade. Threatening to go to Michigan is a great way to compel SF to lower their price in a potential trade.

Also it makes no sense for SF to fire him. He'll either void his contract by accepting a job at UM, or they can trade him. It's pure delusion to think that they'll give up all their leverage just to enable Michigan, or whatever other reason y'all think they'll just willingly pay him not to coach there AND get nothing in return.

Fully co-sign on second paragraph. That'd be insane. The Niners will either get buyout money or draft picks from this.

But the first? I dunno. I do think Harbaugh likes his alma mater and wouldn't gently caress them over. He might be undecided or even leaning to another NFL job but I don't think he's straight up using Michigan.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

AsInHowe posted:

Jim Harbaugh is negotiating a buyout with San Francisco, per a desk editor at the Detroit News.

Link?

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

No link yet, but the paper is getting a story ready to go up once the deal goes through. The story is written, just need the numbers to fill in.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

AsInHowe posted:

I love this post and I love you even if you went to the inferior Michigan small liberal arts college.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
I'm just surprised Detroit manages to support two newspapers

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Adun posted:

They technically are the same company now, the two newspapers stopped directly competing and entered into a joint operating agreement in 1987.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Adun posted:

Lots of dead bodies to report.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

AsInHowe posted:

No link yet, but the paper is getting a story ready to go up once the deal goes through. The story is written, just need the numbers to fill in.

Add in newspaper inside sources to the list.

I really want you to be right, because Michigan has sucked since I graduated, but I will believe it when I see it. It sucks to work on the Minnesota campus knowing that the jug is here.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
Oh they've pre-written a story. So tomorrow Jim Harbaugh will be hired and also a ton of famous people will die.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Groucho Marxist posted:

Oh they've pre-written a story. So tomorrow Jim Harbaugh will be hired and also a ton of famous people will die.

Harbaugh will be announced as Michigan's coach the same day as Morgan Freeman's funeral.

Funkutron5000
Jan 21, 2010

HMS Beagle posted:

Harbaugh will be announced as Michigan's coach the same day as Morgan Freeman's funeral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2ZKpq5QfDE

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

DONE DEAL 9AM TUESDAY

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.
dewey defeats truman

kim il sung still eternal leader

michigan in a good conference

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
Watching the Jim Harbaugh theorycraft getting popular in this city is the same as watching the loose change poo poo get popular. Its insane how it has gotten to the point of validity.

AsInHowe posted:

I got mad drunk watching a Lions game with a Detroit News desk editor before, I wouldn't trust them.

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
This poo poo won't happen we are going to hire Narduzzi at best but probably Addazio or Schiano or something stupid.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Uncle Jam posted:

Watching the Jim Harbaugh theorycraft getting popular in this city is the same as watching the loose change poo poo get popular. Its insane how it has gotten to the point of validity.

I got mad drunk watching a Lions game with a Detroit News desk editor before, I wouldn't trust them.

Was it during the Millen era because EVERYBODY was hosed up then

Trot_to_Trotsky
Dec 9, 2000
Must... Destroy... Capitalism...
Grimey Drawer

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Again I think this is really important. If they really are going to let Harbaugh pick his own boss, they're making a massive mistake. For one, you're basically telling him he can't be fired and for two, you're basically telling the rest of the Michigan coaches they're not nearly important enough to mater -- which may or may not be a big deal for you, but I am sure someone like John Beilein is watching closely.

I think this makes intuitive sense, but you're talking about Michigan. If M football turned around, started winning some conference championships, and became a national force, Michigan fans would just stare blankly at Crisler Arena and shrug, no matter who the team was losing to. Yeah there are Michigan basketball fans, but that is not where the bread is buttered, and a world class hire at coach combined with a football turnaround would basically render all other sports to a 3rd fiddle capacity.

For Christ's sake, the basketball team lost back-to-back games to NJIT and Eastern Michigan and the only reactions on Twitter were in the vein of "Dang. What about Harbaugh?" It's nuts.

Plus Beilein is old and will retire at Michigan, and the tailor made replacement is already on his staff (Bacari). Hockey is the same deal. Mel Pearson has turned Michigan Tech into a great team, and is probably going to take the reins after Red calls it quits. Michigan can give Harbaugh the keys to everything between State and Main, and nobody will care.

Also please note that I don't feel this way (I do want them to hire Harbaugh, obvs), but it's the reality of the situation in Ann Arbor.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Mahasamatman posted:

This poo poo won't happen we are going to hire Narduzzi at best but probably Addazio or Schiano or something stupid.

michigan doesn't deserve addazio's dudes

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

AsInHowe posted:

Miami's owner is Michigan's biggest donor. He has already made it clear that he wants Harbaugh at Michigan, not Miami.

has he now

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

If he hires Harbaugh away they're gonna need a new name for the Ross business school.

Feces Starship
Nov 11, 2008

in the great green room
goodnight moon

Deteriorata posted:

If he hires Harbaugh away they're gonna need a new name for the Ross business school.

I know you're kidding, but no way. Ross can't be thanked enough for what he's done. Football is a game (and a business) at the end of the day. His charity was way too awesome to be undone by something as simple as this.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

He actually has legitimately said he wanted Harbaugh in Ann Arbor over Miami. That isn't assumption or conjecture.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Neodoomium posted:

He actually has legitimately said he wanted Harbaugh in Ann Arbor over Miami. That isn't assumption or conjecture.

Kinda tough to say otherwise in the middle of the season when he hasn't fired Philbin yet. I assume this was said a few weeks earlier when everyone knew that Hoke was gone and the Dolphins still had a shot at the playoffs?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I'm sure he'd balk at Harbaugh if he wanted to coach his pro team instead of his college one.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Groucho Marxist posted:

I'm sure he'd balk at Harbaugh if he wanted to coach his pro team instead of his college one.

Philbin also wasn't going to get fired until he lost to the Patriots last week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

This should come as a shock to no one:

quote:

Hunter Lochmann resigns as CMO of Athletic Department

Hunter Lochmann, the chief marketing officer of the Athletic Department and senior associate athletic director, resigned from his position Monday morning, according to an mLive report.

Athletic Department spokesman Dave Ablauf did not immediately respond to a call asking for comment.

Lochmann was hired by former Athletic Director Dave Brandon as the first CMO in the department’s history on Dec. 2, 2010. Before that, he was the vice president of marketing for the New York Knicks. In his position at Michigan, Lochmann was paid $250,000 in 2013-2014 — one of the highest administrative salaries in the Athletic Department.

Lochmann came under fire Friday for comments he made at the IMG Intercollegiate Athletics Forum.

“The athletes are there for four years,” Lochmann said, according to Sports Business Journal. “At Michigan, it’s the Block M that has the infinity and power, not Denard Robinson. Those are fleeting, four-year relationships, but it’s the block M that's been there for over 150 years.”

http://www.michigandaily.com/sports/hunter-lochmann-resigns-cmo-athletic-department

• Locked thread