Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Jonny 290 posted:

its me i'm the one out of 12,000 Subaru owners that is annoyed that there's only one bank of AM presets

mine just is either 850 KOA or 89.3 KUVO.

if its not one of those two its my iphone plugged in lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

Jonny 290 posted:

Yes sir it is.

You are correct, SSTV is a big and respected slice of the pie, but there's also full fast-scan NTSC. And repeaters that will rebroadcast your goony neckbearded rear end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS0cL7aPkEk&t=43s

You could probably drop like 3, 5 grand on surplus analog studio poo poo and have a pretty fun home TV station.

that's cool as hell

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sagebrush posted:

i think it would have been cool if when the analog tv spectrum went up for sale, the fcc turned it over to experimenters and we got things like micro-level community tv stations that only broadcast in one neighborhood or apartment building. ultra-local progamming, build community, etc.

i mostly think about this because i remember being a little kid and going to my grandparents' house in middle of nowhere ohio and the local radio station was super super local. like "alright, that was jimmy with his fiddle, thanks a lot jimmy. now mrs. bronson wants to let everyone know that someone left her fence gate open and her chickens got out, so if you happen to see one walking around, pick it up and see that it gets back to her, wouldya? and now here's officer mike walsh to tell you about the policeman's ball this saturday. mike --"

neat stuff

we have this in TO. i'm not entirely clear on the legality but the one i know of has existed for something like 20 years, they're run out of a co-op apartment complex and their transmission range is basically just the block or so around the complex.
here it is: Star Ray TV - UHF 15

looks like the CRTC is giving them some poo poo, but they're not shut down yet.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 17, 2014

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Sagebrush posted:

this man

wearing flame-print hammer pants (?) and those toe shoes, going out dressed as a science mime (?) to tell a bunch of viscerally disgusting fans of awful music all about magnets because one of their songs was mocked by nerds on the internet

is married

and yet you still cant get laid

makes u think

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
that's some lovely facepaint

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Sniep posted:

is that the new HID prox card stuff that i vaguely recall someone posting itt?

nope, it's a physical key to a physical glass door. Someone was locked behind a glass door, trapped in noisebridge.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

nope, it's a physical key to a physical glass door. Someone was locked behind a glass door, trapped in noisebridge.

dont worry, im sure theres a path out through the elevator and stairwell

might take a minute, so its good that guy brought all his personal belongings and stomach contents along

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

get me out of this wack rear end crystal meth prison

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

an outrageously expensive oddity

i got a mamiya r6-67 and three lenses for $300, idunno how much i'd have to pay to get a digital camera with that kind of resolution, clarity and depth of field but its a lot

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Mido posted:

I'm thinking of getting a Pentax 67 some time in the next year or two :allears:

i would recommend the rb-67 instead if you want a 6x7. its way cheaper and the shutter slap on the pentax is so absurd you cant get a clean shot out of it without a flash.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

i got a mamiya r6-67 and three lenses for $300, idunno how much i'd have to pay to get a digital camera with that kind of resolution, clarity and depth of field but its a lot

your mamiya

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
you can get good shots out of a pentax 6x7 without shutter slap, just don't do slower than 1/60, and if you want to then use the mirror lockup.

don't bother with flash on a 6x7 either, max sync speed is 1/30.

- a pentax 6x7 haver, it is truly a great camera.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
take it to the dork room you nerds

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

infernal machines posted:

take it to the dork room you nerds

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

the dork room is currently full of meth users :shrug:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

"[Noisebridge-discuss posted:

Proposal: Discounted full-year dues"]
It's just like my teacher used to say during the Iraq War debate: lots of bickering about what should be done actually means there are a lot of people who care. I think rather than fingerpointing and ensuring each member pays their dues, we should band together, help each other out where we can, and figure out a solution that works for the entire group in the long term.

[Scientist Waluigi guy]

PS: I am not a communist.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome
I'll bet he's a communist

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Mido posted:

the dork room is currently full of meth users :shrug:

just because they merged TCC with the dork room doesn't mean you can't discuss photography there. just don't leave your development chemicals out

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I'm going to go to a Hackerspace meeting tomorrow

it will probably be kind of boring and I'll work on my bike while I'm there.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQrXaoezch4
disclaimer: I got bored halfway through this video

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

minivanmegafun posted:

i think disc format was my favorite wacky film

cool i used to have one of those

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

pram posted:

noisebridge is an award winning methspace for sleepers and tweakers

Cocoa Crispies posted:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Mido posted:

i want to noise bridge twice

it was dumb and i felt like i was in a homeless shelter

:) thats my story

please expand on this story

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
what's the over/under on being asked to leave within ten minutes if I go into noisebridge with a gopro attached to a hat

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
that's not how over/under betting works :spergin:

but i'm gonna say if it's not running, 60% chance they ask you to leave within 10 minutes. if it is, 100%

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
ok now how about odds if I bring my enormous intensified video camera on some sort of horrible shoulder rig or steadicam

and what happens if someone asks you to leave and you don't? can you just go around asking people to leave and they'll leave if they're a ~true hacker~

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
just tell them the shoulder mount is b/c you're doodycratically shoulderhacking urself to be transhuman

also that information wants to be free

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
do that but instead make it a cool prosthetic at the end of your elbow that detonates several fake blood bags as they rip the gopro from your (fake) flesh

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
then make a big stink about it on the mailing list

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

A Yolo Wizard posted:

then make a big stink about it on the table saw

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

pram posted:

hes dead

omg :smith:

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Mido posted:

i want to noise bridge twice

it was dumb and i felt like i was in a homeless shelter

:) thats my story

please expand on this story

okay im trying to remember much about it

we got there late like 9pm or something, my weird friend at the time was like "ayy lets check out this hacker space thing called noise bridges ITS REAL COOL". we come in and it's in an "eh" part of town for SF, we hop in the freight elevator and up we go. lots of peeling paint and project-esque low grade building antiquities. you walk into the space and at a glance it's pretty cool, there's couches and bins of random poo poo you can pull from to work on your dumb arduino fart detector, there's a doorway to an area with some work benchy tool things, a modest kitchen, hard wood floors and lots of peoples goofy little projects dangling all around the space, a crappy desk with some pcb-working stuff (poo poo rear end old logic analyzer, cutting mats, solder, irons, etc).

a man types furiously on the couch, sighing and pulling in harsh breaths on occasion, fake chortling to himself as he scans over some condescending battle he is fighting on the internet. an old man covers his eyes with a sleep mask which he has put some RGB leds into so that they slowly phase between colors, the man is adamant that this greatly changes how your brain waves work when you sleep (here's a hint: it doesn't). despite his banal invention he had a small cabal of interested, furrow browed groupies, trying it on and nodding enthusiastically when the man explained his notions.

we pulled apart a 12x80 led sign that we brought along with us as part of our mission to make it do something besides turn on and sit quietly. no model numbers on any pcbs lead us anywhere on the internet. it has a zilog z80 on it and two rj11 ports. the logic analyzer is busted and there's not a lot you can do at this point without a proper scope, a salae analyzer, some tools to dump the rom of the z80 and skim through the relatively simple assembly, we had no modem with us and the space had none either. our effort to be elite hackers was a wash.

everyone i talked to was stressed the gently caress out about something going on RIGHT NOW, or pestered me a little about my presence. "do you have a sponsor? who did you come here with?"

it was dumb

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Mido posted:

an old man covers his eyes with a sleep mask which he has put some RGB leds into so that they slowly phase between colors, the man is adamant that this greatly changes how your brain waves work when you sleep (here's a hint: it doesn't). despite his banal invention he had a small cabal of interested, furrow browed groupies, trying it on and nodding enthusiastically when the man explained his notions.

lmfao did you accidentally meet mitch altman

:pcgaming:

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

As a Millennial I posted:

lmfao did you accidentally meet mitch altman

:pcgaming:

doesn't look too unlike the guy that i saw :v: infact after googling it i'm pretty fuckin sure it's the same guy yep

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

when i was a kid i was really into lucid dreaming and i wanted one of those REM-detecting blinky sleep masks so badly, but they cost like 300 bucks. years later i see mitch altman's kickstarter for purportedly the same thing and i bite, because i have yet to learn that kickstarters are universally bullshit

long story short it was a year late for such laffable reasons as "I didn't realize I'd need FCC testing for this consumer electronics product" and "chinese new year" and it was super uncomfortable and lacked any of the fancy REM detection that these devices had 20 years prior and also i apparently rip it off in my sleep anyway. it's under the bed being chewed on by my cat now.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

tbf the tv-b-gone is an actual good idea

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

As a Millennial I posted:

tbf the tv-b-gone is an actual good idea

well yeah but they've been around for no poo poo 20 years

had a defcon badge with one until we turned it into a apple ir receiver-b-gone badge lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Altman was one of the pioneers of Virtual Reality, working with Jaron Lanier at VPL Research, and it was during his research in this field that he started to believe in the hypnotic power of television programs.

welp that explains a lot

• Locked thread