Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Are there any services or apps that will notify you when a song or album you're interested in finally appears on Play Music All Access?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Anyone have an idea why the updated gmail app has used over 100mb of data on my phone this month when I don't have it downloading attachments? I have a small data plan and I don't want to stop using it but I may have to.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
I installed AirDroid after not having it for a while. It's ok. What I really wanted it for was getting notifications on my laptop, but it constantly disconnects and needed to be manually reconnected.

Recently installed PushBullet, and it seems to work better in every way.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

nocal posted:

I installed AirDroid after not having it for a while. It's ok. What I really wanted it for was getting notifications on my laptop, but it constantly disconnects and needed to be manually reconnected.

Recently installed PushBullet, and it seems to work better in every way.
PushBullet is a million times more useful than AirDroid. I'm convince AirDroid is solely for people who can't figure out how to use network shares.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

PushBullet is a million times more useful than AirDroid. I'm convince AirDroid is solely for people who can't figure out how to use network shares.

Don't you need root for this? I mean I've wanted to try it but I'm not going to go and root just so I can save a few seconds of plugging a cable in.

Thermopyle posted:

Are there any services or apps that will notify you when a song or album you're interested in finally appears on Play Music All Access?

The only thing I've found is Google Now will let you know when something is on Google Play Music (not All Access) if you Google the artist or album.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Dec 17, 2014

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

Don't you need root for this? I mean I've wanted to try it but I'm not going to go and root just so I can save a few seconds of plugging a cable in.
Of course not, it's just browsing to a SMB share with your phone.

Ponuh
Nov 8, 2006

No tricks, Mr. President. In a few moments I will release a wave of psychic energy designed to dominate the whole planet. There will be no more 'free will'.
So I just switched to Android from an iPhone 5s. One of the things I liked to do while driving was to tell Siri "listen to NPR News" to play NPR in iTunes radio. The same command in Google Now seems to just bring up the NPR app. Is there a way to automate that so it'll start playing a station?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Of course not, it's just browsing to a SMB share with your phone.

All of the instructions I'm finding are saying you need root to do it, even with ES File Explorer.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

All of the instructions I'm finding are saying you need root to do it, even with ES File Explorer.
From the description for Explorer, the non-root version of Root Explorer (bolding mine):

Explorer description posted:

Explorer is perfect for organizing your internal storage and SD card contents. Simple, with a smooth intuitive interface. You can also easily access your cloud and network files.
Features include:
• Multiple tabs - Easily navigate between different locations by swiping or clicking on a tab
• Google Drive, Box, Dropbox and Network (SMB) support
• Multiple themes (Light, dark and home wallpaper)
• Built in Text Editor
• Create and extract zip or tar files
• Extract rar archives
• Perform long running operations (e.g. copy, move) in the background
• Stream video and audio files from network and cloud to media player applications
• Create home screen shortcuts to files and folders
• Customisable icon sets
• Send files (via email, bluetooth etc)
• Built in SQLite database viewer
• Bookmark frequently used files and folders
• Search function
• "Open With" facility allowing files to be opened as a generic type or by using specific apps
• View file and folder properties including size, date, MD5 checksum
For fast, friendly support simply email us: support@speedsoftware.co.uk
Explorer supports 11 languages including: English, French, Spanish, Italian, German, Japanese, Korean, Hebrew, Danish, Russian and Portuguese.
Permissions:
• Full network access - Required for network and cloud access. No information is passed to us over the internet.
• Add or remove accounts - Used by the Google Drive SDK to add a new account if desired. No changes are made to existing accounts and no details accessed apart from the account name.
• Find accounts on the device - Used to list available accounts for logging into Google Drive.
• Prevent from sleeping - Used to stop the device sleeping during long operations so they are not interrupted.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

From the description for Explorer, the non-root version of Root Explorer (bolding mine):

Ok. How would I go about doing it?

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

ThermoPhysical posted:

Tap the + then pick Network (SMB) Tab. In the new SMB tab, hit + again, pick Server and fill it out.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

It depends on your network but in general terms you'd share a folder on your computer, then browse to the location on your phone.

I use Root Explorer and my wife uses ES, but in general the network pane has a way to enter a server address, username, and password. I use static DHCP assignments on the ol' Airport Extreme, so I just enter the IP of the device with the folder I'm sharing, like my profile's Public folder, and use a sharing-only profile I created in OS X just for that purpose.

Given that I haven't played around with Windows shares since the XP days I doubt I'm going to be a lot of help in describing configuring them from memory. I know there are a bunch of stupid things you have to do to get it working right but I couldn't do it without internet research now.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

TwistedNails posted:

Anyone have an idea why the updated gmail app has used over 100mb of data on my phone this month when I don't have it downloading attachments? I have a small data plan and I don't want to stop using it but I may have to.

Do you have images set to "always show" or "ask before showing"?

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

LastInLine posted:

It depends on your network but in general terms you'd share a folder on your computer, then browse to the location on your phone.

I use Root Explorer and my wife uses ES, but in general the network pane has a way to enter a server address, username, and password. I use static DHCP assignments on the ol' Airport Extreme, so I just enter the IP of the device with the folder I'm sharing, like my profile's Public folder, and use a sharing-only profile I created in OS X just for that purpose.

Given that I haven't played around with Windows shares since the XP days I doubt I'm going to be a lot of help in describing configuring them from memory. I know there are a bunch of stupid things you have to do to get it working right but I couldn't do it without internet research now.

I haven't had to do anything special to get my Windows shares (or my parent's) to be accessible through both ES and (not-Root) Explorer... All you should need is the IP address, username and password depending on your setup.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

pairofdimes posted:

Do you have images set to "always show" or "ask before showing"?

Ask before showing.

Edit: To clarify I've changed nothing and after the update the data shot up like crazy. From Aug 28- Sep 27 it used 5.45mb of data, Sep 28-Oct 27 Gmail used 5.82mb, Oct 28-Nov 27 after the update it jumped to 122mb, Nov 28-Today it used 105mb.

Tha avg before the update in late Nov was around 5-6mb a month.

TwistedNails fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Dec 17, 2014

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

VodeAndreas posted:

I haven't had to do anything special to get my Windows shares (or my parent's) to be accessible through both ES and (not-Root) Explorer... All you should need is the IP address, username and password depending on your setup.
I seem to remember something with Simple File Sharing versus Advanced (?) or something like that. Either way it's certainly not hard.

TwistedNails posted:

Ask before showing.

Edit: To clarify I've changed nothing and after the update the data shot up like crazy. From Aug 28- Sep 27 it used 5.45mb of data, Sep 28-Oct 27 Gmail used 5.82mb, Oct 28-Nov 27 after the update it jumped to 122mb, Nov 28-Today it used 105mb.

Tha avg before the update in late Nov was around 5-6mb a month.
Settings > Accounts > Google > [Account name] > GMail reports no error?

If not (or hell, even if it does) just clear the data for the app and start over.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Dec 17, 2014

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

LastInLine posted:

Settings > Accounts > Google > [Account name] > GMail reports no error?

If not (or hell, even if it does) just clear the data for the app and start over.

No errors, I will take your advice and clear data and start over, I'm out of ideas.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

LastInLine posted:

I seem to remember something with Simple File Sharing versus Advanced (?) or something like that. Either way it's certainly not hard.

Ah, yeah if you're just using windows Homeshare thing then you may have issues as that uses some special pass code system, you'll have to do proper sharing instead.

e: vvv Maybe not then? Just give it a go!

VodeAndreas fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Dec 17, 2014

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Rusty! posted:

Tap the + then pick Network (SMB) Tab. In the new SMB tab, hit + again, pick Server and fill it out.

LastInLine posted:

I'm not too good with networking, but somehow all I had to do was put in my IP address for my machine and the user/pass and bam..it worked without setting up anything.

I think it's because it's due to my machine being set up to share via Windows' HomeGroup thing...I will look into this later.

However, I also figured out how to make it work on ES without root as well. But it looks like only ES can send files to folders too? It seems to work on Explorer, but not as reliably as then I'd end up with the "Move failed" error. Is there a reason why this is happening? I'd prefer to use Explorer since it's not as bloated but this is kind of annoying...

All in all, I am happy I was wrong that you don't need root. :v:

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Dec 17, 2014

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

However, I also figured out how to make it work on ES without root as well. But it looks like only ES can send files to folders too? It seems to work on Explorer, but not as reliably as then I'd end up with the "Move failed" error. Is there a reason why this is happening? I'd prefer to use Explorer since it's not as bloated but this is kind of annoying...
The only time I've had an error is when there's a permissions conflict dealing with files in the /system folder.

I very seldom find my self needing a file browser--about the only time I use it is when I'm moving backups off the device or when I'm at my computer and too lazy to pick up my phone to install updates I see on Android Police so I just drop the APK in my public folder and get it the next time I get up.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Ponuh posted:

So I just switched to Android from an iPhone 5s. One of the things I liked to do while driving was to tell Siri "listen to NPR News" to play NPR in iTunes radio. The same command in Google Now seems to just bring up the NPR app. Is there a way to automate that so it'll start playing a station?
Not that I know of. When I had a 5s I used Siri all the time, with my LG G3, I never use Google Now, even for the things it can do it's flaky and unreliable. This will not be the first thing you miss from iOS.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Earlier someone posted a list of things they'd want in an alarm app. I've become annoyed enough with the stock Samsung one that I think I'm going to just dev my own. If someone would post that list again, I'll try to get as many of the things as I can into the app.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
What is the best video player to use with a Nexus 9 playing files on a USB drive through an OTG cable? Something that can playback MKV files.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

The only time I've had an error is when there's a permissions conflict dealing with files in the /system folder.

I very seldom find my self needing a file browser--about the only time I use it is when I'm moving backups off the device or when I'm at my computer and too lazy to pick up my phone to install updates I see on Android Police so I just drop the APK in my public folder and get it the next time I get up.

I'm currently trying to move backups off and my tablet (Nexus 7 2013) is a lot faster at using explorer's networking than my phone (Nexus 4). It's almost unusable on my phone actually.

Would this be a device issue?

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

gariig posted:

What is the best video player to use with a Nexus 9 playing files on a USB drive through an OTG cable? Something that can playback MKV files.

MXplayer

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Hangouts dialer updated and FINALLY has the proper system intents to work as your phone's actual dialer.

Hotzenplotz
Sep 16, 2008
Is there an easy way to download a region locked app somehow?

Or does anyone here live in the Netherlands and could exract the NPO app for me? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=nl.uitzendinggemist

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I cant believe android still doesn't have a native way to do hands free texting over Bluetooth. About the only thing I miss about windows phone. Can someone recommend an app that will read out my texts and allow me to reply by voice, without having to interact with the phone?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

codo27 posted:

I cant believe android still doesn't have a native way to do hands free texting over Bluetooth. About the only thing I miss about windows phone. Can someone recommend an app that will read out my texts and allow me to reply by voice, without having to interact with the phone?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.RSen.Commandr&hl=en

Make sure your google now settings are configured to enable it to pickup your voice over your headset, and fool around with that app.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

codo27 posted:

This is why you buy motorola phones.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

bull3964 posted:

This is why you buy motorola phones.

Explain. Will the Moto devices have this sort of functionality? Regardless, Android should have it stock by now. This should be deemed a very important feature, a lot of phone users have cars. And drive. And text.

It was seamless on WP. I shouldn't have to miss any features from that awful thing

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Or while you're driving you could ...drive?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Its 2014. If my stupid windows phone could easily handle hands free texting, android should be able to as well.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

codo27 posted:

Explain. Will the Moto devices have this sort of functionality? Regardless, Android should have it stock by now. This should be deemed a very important feature, a lot of phone users have cars. And drive. And text.

It was seamless on WP. I shouldn't have to miss any features from that awful thing

Motorola devices have always-on listening. You say "send text to Frank. you're a douchebag" and your phone just sends the text.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Thermopyle posted:

Motorola devices have always-on listening. You say "send text to Frank. you're a douchebag" and your phone just sends the text.

Yup, and it will also say "You have a text from Frank, say listen to hear it." Then you get to hear Frank tell you that you are a douchbag right back at you in lovely robot voice.

You can also just ask your phone "What's up?" and it will read out all current notifications.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Thermopyle posted:

Do Moto phones have the option to configure voice commands to send the text via my Google Voice account?

It annoys me to no end that Google Now will ONLY send it via my "regular" phone number, which I never use.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

DrBouvenstein posted:

Do Moto phones have the option to configure voice commands to send the text via my Google Voice account?

It annoys me to no end that Google Now will ONLY send it via my "regular" phone number, which I never use.
There is a plugin for tasked called auto voice that let's you create custom voice commands. You might be able to do it with that.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

codo27 posted:

Its 2014. If my stupid windows phone could easily handle hands free texting, android should be able to as well.

This is clearly important to you. You should probably get a Windows phone.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This is clearly important to you. You should probably get a Windows phone.

Uhhh, not really, it's definitely a feature that Android should have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

bryn987 posted:

Sweet this works perfectly. I tried this last night but it was glitching out when it asked me change my permissions in lollipop settings

I had a Lollipop issue with Lux running not allowing me to change the setting that Ultimate Rotation Control needed. Turn off any of those screen overlay apps like that first before toggling that setting.

• Locked thread