Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012

Ross posted:

I'm about to finish up Red Country. Can anyone recommend me a series in a similar vein to read next while I wait for Winds of Winter :laugh: ?

I liked First Law, loved BSC, wasn't to keen on The Heroes though I'm not sure why since I love war movies, and really liked Red Country as well.

I honestly really can't. I've tried some Abercrombie-ish dark and edgy fantasy afterwards but all of them didn't have the stuff that actually made TFL fun like the dark comedy, pacing, and likable if hosed up characters. You can always read the classics like the first Black Company trilogy or Dying Earth I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Ross posted:

I'm about to finish up Red Country. Can anyone recommend me a series in a similar vein to read next while I wait for Winds of Winter :laugh: ?

I liked First Law, loved BSC, wasn't to keen on The Heroes though I'm not sure why since I love war movies, and really liked Red Country as well.

I'd say try the broken empire trilogy. There's also Half a King, Abercrombie's YA book. Not as good as the adult series, but it's not bad.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch has a similar vibe although I've only read the first book of those. I really liked it, but I've heard the quality drops off after that - thankfully it stands alone pretty well.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Richard Morgan's Land Fit For Heroes series is very close to First Law in tone, theme and characterization imo. It would definitely be my first recommendation for anyone trying to scratch that Abercrombie itch with a non-Abercrombie book.

There was Luke Scull's debut novel last year that reminded me a lot of Abercrombie. Dude was definitely influenced heavily by him, and did a good job using those influences.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Will check these out, thanks all.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I'd recommend Land Fit for Heroes and The Broken Empire before the others, although I haven't read Scott Lynch. Two words of caution:

(1) The last book of Land is kind of mediocre. It wraps things up in a way that some people, including me, found unsatisfactory and trite.

(2) The first book of the Broken Empire has some problems. It really overdoes the GRIMDARK, and the protagonist does some awful things. To its credit I think it deals with those things later on in a satisfactory way.

That being said, they are both good reads and have a fair deal in common with Abercrombie.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Read Bloodsong by Anthony Ryan. The sequel, Tower Lord, is even better than the first.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Neurosis posted:

I'd recommend Land Fit for Heroes and The Broken Empire before the others, although I haven't read Scott Lynch. Two words of caution:

(1) The last book of Land is kind of mediocre. It wraps things up in a way that some people, including me, found unsatisfactory and trite.

The biggest problem with the last book of Land Fit for Heroes is more that it doesn't actually wrap anything up; it ends like it's book 3 of 4 instead of 3 of 3.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Khizan posted:

The biggest problem with the last book of Land Fit for Heroes is more that it doesn't actually wrap anything up; it ends like it's book 3 of 4 instead of 3 of 3.

I totally agree.

ergot
Jan 25, 2002
Heresiarch

BananaNutkins posted:

Read Bloodsong by Anthony Ryan. The sequel, Tower Lord, is even better than the first.

Just started the second book and second this endorsement.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012

Neurosis posted:

(2) The first book of the Broken Empire has some problems. It really overdoes the GRIMDARK, and the protagonist does some awful things. To its credit I think it deals with those things later on in a satisfactory way.

Yeah the first book was some of the worst grimdark I've ever read honestly (the main character burns some woman alive in the first chapter, like gently caress) but I liked the second a lot, it approached the characterization in a completely different way that I found a lot better. I haven't gotten around to reading the third one yet.

EDIT: A Land Fit For Heroes is decent but I only read a few hundred pages of it and didn't get it renewed so obviously I didn't find it that compelling. Some people might though.

Sex Beef 2.0 fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 16, 2014

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011

Sex Beef 2.0 posted:

Yeah the first book was some of the worst grimdark I've ever read honestly (the main character burns some woman alive in the first chapter, like gently caress) but I liked the second a lot, it approached the characterization in a completely different way that I found a lot better. I haven't gotten around to reading the third one yet.

EDIT: A Land Fit For Heroes is decent but I only read a few hundred pages of it and didn't get it renewed so obviously I didn't find it that compelling. Some people might though.

Third Broken Empire book is a bit of a drop, but wraps things up nicely if a little obviously. I'd agree on likening them in theme to First Law, too.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I've posted this before, and I'll post it again. I want a book filled with nothing but Whirrun of Bligh being gloriously mad, wandering the land and inventing cheese traps. Why did he have to die :smith:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Rhymenoserous posted:

I've posted this before, and I'll post it again. I want a book filled with nothing but Whirrun of Bligh being gloriously mad, wandering the land and inventing cheese traps. Why did he have to die :smith:

Shoglig was talking poo poo.

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011

Rhymenoserous posted:

Isn't there a short story of that Dozen with him being nuts or something? Also, the audiobook for the Heroes gives Whirrun this great like, faux-Ringo accent and it's incredible.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

The British audiobook or the American one? I've got some long drives ahead of me.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Grand Prize Winner posted:

The British audiobook or the American one? I've got some long drives ahead of me.

The one with Steven Pacey narrating is the much better one. I assume that is the British one.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 17, 2014

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

Khizan posted:

These are the most disappointing goddamn posts. I thought the first and second books, while flawed, were fascinating and had serious potential to go places and do super-cool-stuff with the wrap-up. Ugh.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Evfedu posted:

These are the most disappointing goddamn posts. I thought the first and second books, while flawed, were fascinating and had serious potential to go places and do super-cool-stuff with the wrap-up. Ugh.

The Dark Defiles does exactly that. Morgan ends the story he started in The Steel Remains, which is to say that the Aldrain are dealt with. However, in doing so he opens up a number of side plots that are not resolved. Now whether that's clumsy writing or the plot hooks for a followup book or series is up in the air at this point.

The other thing to consider is that Morgan set out to upend the traditional fantasy tropes, which would (I assume) include having everything wrapped up nice and neat by the last page.

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011

Andrast posted:

The one with Steven Pacey narrating is the much better one. I assume that is the British one.

They weren't using atrocious American-desperately-trying-to-be-British accents so yeah, probably the British one.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

i remember reading this book called the sad tale of the brothers grossbart and it was the literary equivalent of picking at a scab

was good, can recommend

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

John Charity Spring posted:

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch has a similar vibe although I've only read the first book of those. I really liked it, but I've heard the quality drops off after that - thankfully it stands alone pretty well.

I can definitely second the Locke Lamore books recommendation. The later books dont drop off in quality, they just have a slightly different theme every time. The first book is essentially a heist/revenge film, the second is swashbuckling navy action, and the third is about electioneering. This leads some people to like certain books more than others depending on their taste. The main characters are always great throughout though.

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Dec 18, 2014

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Locke Lamorra books are someone's D&D campaign world on paper. They're no better and no worse than the Malazan stuff, but that is what they're most similar to. I enjoyed them, but they're nothing like Abercrombie.

Braking Gnus
Oct 13, 2012

Mr.48 posted:

I can definitely second the Locke Lamore books recommendation. The later books dont drop off in quality, they just have a slightly different theme every time. The first book is essentially a heist/revenge film, the second is swashbuckling navy action, and the third is about electioneering. This leads some people to like certain books more than others depending on their taste. The main characters are always great throughout though.

The third one actually came out? Last I had heard the author went nuts and it was never happening. Have to add that to my list now.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
Stephen Pacey has been really fantastic for the First Law audiobooks. His range and characterisation is top notch, it's really brought the story alive for me.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Peztopiary posted:

Locke Lamorra books are someone's D&D campaign world on paper. They're no better and no worse than the Malazan stuff, but that is what they're most similar to. I enjoyed them, but they're nothing like Abercrombie.

Are the other books really that different, then, because this description doesn't ring true to me at all for the first book. If it did I'd have run a mile; I bounced right off Malazan, couldn't stand it.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I enjoyed the hell out of the Locke Lamora series, but couldn't get more than halfway through the first Malazan book before putting it down.

Mr.48
May 1, 2007
I actually really liked the first couple of Malazan books, but had to stop around book 5 or 6 as the series turned into a Saturday-morning cartoon.

Braking Gnus posted:

The third one actually came out? Last I had heard the author went nuts and it was never happening. Have to add that to my list now.

Came out last year, and the manuscript for the next one is apparently also just about finished. Lynch had a serious bout of clinical depression resulting in the long delay of book 3, but it seems he is being treated and is doing much better now.

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 19, 2014

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Finally done with the Trilogy, more than a week later than I'd hoped after a nasty bout of Bronchitis and forgetting the book at work.

drat, is all I can say. The wrapup of the war with Bayaz leaving everything, Glokta settling in, and Jezel being the dumbstruck idiot he always was. Again, no black-and-white to behold, but Bayaz being practically Dr Manhattan in the end was pretty amazing and I really loving hated him when he finally left. Logen's cliffhanger at the very very end was amazing as well.

I think I'm gonna have a hard time reading another series of books that kept me so engaged the entire time (not counting the upcoming next 3 Abercrombie books that I have on deck). My best friend is listening to the Pacey-narrated book on tape version and it's awesome to have someone talk to about the story.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
I struggled my way through the first Malazan book with no idea what the gently caress was going on 90% of the time. I continued because I was told to expect this, got through the first few chapters of Book 2 and stopped forcing myself to read something I wasn't enjoying.

In general I find I'm not a fan of series of any sort (books, television) that don't really get me into "can't put this down" mode quickly. Ice & Fire does this really well, and First Law too.

Sex Beef 2.0
Jan 14, 2012
Malazan was okay but it annoyed me how every character had the same renfaire dialogue except the soldiers say "ain't" sometimes. Also t'oo ma'ny d'umb grat'uit'ous apos'trophes. Honestly just got overwhelmed by the third book.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Ross posted:

I struggled my way through the first Malazan book with no idea what the gently caress was going on 90% of the time. I continued because I was told to expect this, got through the first few chapters of Book 2 and stopped forcing myself to read something I wasn't enjoying.

In general I find I'm not a fan of series of any sort (books, television) that don't really get me into "can't put this down" mode quickly. Ice & Fire does this really well, and First Law too.

If you still have book 2 around, give it another try. I bought the first few books based on SA recommendation and thought the first story was a weird confusing let-down. Book 2 really hooked me though and I thought it was a really solid fantasy read.

I wouldn't say it is anything like Abercrimbie's work though and wouldn't recommend one to someone based on them liking the other.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

First three chapters of Half the World

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

You know the thing that weirds me out about Abercrombie's YA stuff? They're like action movies. Not much sex or swearing, plenty of violence.

I mean, a book for teens that starts with a kid getting shanked in the neck? Whoah.

Giodo!
Oct 29, 2003

Ross posted:

I hated the first book, ended up starting a re-read because I had a long flight and finished my other book. This time around it clicked a lot more, enough to get me to keep going. I'm on book 4 now and really enjoying it. But that first book is brutal on first read. And it took a certain set of circumstances for me to waste my time re-reading a massive tome I didn't really enjoy the first go-around.

The Malazan books are so far from the Ambercrombie books that I wouldn't recommend them at all based on liking First Law.

Giodo! fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Dec 22, 2014

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

The first Locke Lamora book is heaps of fun and worth reading but each book after the first has a massive nosedive in quality.

The Malazan books are good but they're an acquired taste and there's nothing wrong with hating them. I think if you're not enjoying the first one, there's no point struggling through 2 or 3.

I have no idea why anybody would call those series similar, though. Locke Lamora is a straightforward fantasy adventure, Abercrombie, Martin and Erikson are subversions of straightforward fantasy adventures. Abercrombie subverts it by trying really hard to make it seem straightforward and then throwing in curveballs, Martin tries to subvert it by telling all sides of the story and having realistic consequences for things, and Erikson tries to subvert it by just having a massive clusterfuck of characters and a complicated series of overlapping timelines.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

If you enjoy the dark fantast aspect of Abercrombie then you might like Bakker's Second Apocalypse trilogies. They don't have the lightness or the fun dialogue of Abercrombie, nor is the action as entertainingly written but they do a pretty good job of taking some aspects of traditional fantasy and going, 'now what would this really be like?' Things like immortal magic users dealing with the fallout of several millenia worth of memories or the actual existence of absolute morality/divinity with rules that don't totally conform to our human moral intuitions.

Bakker also pulls in quite a bit of his own ideas regarding neuroscience and philosophy of mind but overall does a good job of 'show don't tell' with his philosophy. From what I've read in that regard it's the complete opposite of Neuromancer from him. He has an interesting vision of magic and the main character in the first trilogy makes Bayaz seem like a down to earth and approachable human being.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Grand Prize Winner posted:

You know the thing that weirds me out about Abercrombie's YA stuff? They're like action movies. Not much sex or swearing, plenty of violence.

I mean, a book for teens that starts with a kid getting shanked in the neck? Whoah.

Counterpoint: Roald Dahl was goddamn morbid and is basically the best children's author - not YA, but actual tykes - ever to walk the Earth.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I'm halfway through the Broken Empire trilogy and I have mixed feelings about it. The writing and world-building is excellent. The setting had me a little surprised once I figured out what era it was set in. But the narrator is an absolute unlikeable oval office. And this is coming from someone who enjoyed all the Flashman novels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Ketch
Jul 5, 2005

:getin:
Lipstick Apathy

The Rat posted:

I'm halfway through the Broken Empire trilogy and I have mixed feelings about it. The writing and world-building is excellent. The setting had me a little surprised once I figured out what era it was set in. But the narrator is an absolute unlikeable oval office. And this is coming from someone who enjoyed all the Flashman novels.

I just started Mark Lawrence's new book, Prince of Fools, it seems much in the same vein as Flashman according to what he's said about his influences. Though I'm having a hard time getting into it, mostly since I loved characters like Gorst, Shivers, Ninefingers and Jorg so maybe I'm kinda hosed but hopefully it grabs me soon, kinda mechanically reading it at work while there's downtime. I really wish it grabbed me like the first chapter of Prince of Thorns or Abercrombie's stuff.