Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea Pat missing things can be a little annoying but I'd much rather go 'dude the statue's RIGHT THERE' than be bored shitless as he obsessively backtracks and covers every nook and cranny to get a 100% run because gently caress that poo poo, I don't wanna watch that.

Plus I agree it can be pretty funny when it happens exactly as he's saying 'so yea we're not gonna get all the collectibles' and poo poo.

I'm not expecting anyone to obsessively scour a level looking for secrets and treasure. I was just talking about in the process of playing normally, encountering items right in his path so big and shiny that I can't imagine anyone missing them and he just goes right by them. Or when he picks up a note, completely skips over plot information and then gets really upset when it's mentioned later because "How were we supposed to know that?"

I think it's actually part of why him and Matt make a good LP team - Matt is the spotter and Pat is the navigator. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesothelioma
Jan 6, 2009

Your favorite mineral related cancer!
Nominee for next UBI pls
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ign=socialoomph

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kimmalah posted:

I think it's actually part of why him and Matt make a good LP team - Matt is the spotter and Pat is the navigator. :v:

My favorite recurring joke is whenever something unbelievably obviously important shows up on the screen and Matt just goes LOOK AT THAT BIG DUMB X! :allears:

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

The Boss. The CEO. The J-Cup Lover.
I think for Evil Within, a big part of it is that neither of us like the game too much...and the last 4 parts we just wanted to get it over with. So our minds have gotten increasingly more lazy, and we're just not noticing stuff as the game has dragged on.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I dunno, you guys have been sounding surprisingly chipper about the whole thing for a couple videos now.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

HGH posted:

I dunno, you guys have been sounding surprisingly chipper about the whole thing for a couple videos now.

Probably because they know they're getting close to endgame and the end of their suffering. :haw: Plus they got a brawl in a cool looking open arena with their favorite enemy and powered up weapons!

I did a little reading around and saw what the final boss was, so I'm not sure how long they're going to maintain that upbeat attitude however.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

HGH posted:

Well, Pat at least seems to be having some fun. Matt is having NONE of it however. I've enjoyed Evil Within (both the game and the LP) so seeing them be kinda miserable for parts of it is a shame.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Are they planning on doing the DLC when it comes out as well?

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
The playthrough has been a perfect mix of yooooo look at this stupid bullshit and yooooo look at this cool bullshit

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Well, Pat at least seems to be having some fun. Matt is having NONE of it however. I've enjoyed Evil Within (both the game and the LP) so seeing them be kinda miserable for parts of it is a shame.

Pat screaming, "That's not fair" every 5 mins is "fun" to you? Believe me, in the next part, NONE of us is having fun. In fact, in the last 4 parts we did, Pat seemed really, really frustrated at almost everything that happened. The water monsters and dropping the bodies, the traps, the last couple of bosses. I mean, jeez.

Evil Within is easily the most disappointing game of the year to me, considering it's subject matter and pedigree. Again, not the worst or most broken game, but just everything about it is so mediocre and forgettable.

TheRealestMatt fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Dec 17, 2014

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I guess I was more referring to the last video, where Pat was getting into the final level and story speculation.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Gonna be real awkward when half the crew puts Evil Within on their poo poo list and liam puts it in his top 5

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

There's only two parts in the entire game where I felt legit excited/hyped. The room we entered around the random bloodman enemy that seemed to have no relation to anything. That giant room with all the faces, that seemed straight out of Berserk. That room was so loving cool. But nope, you get to see that for 30 seconds, then it's back to generic dank hallways. Then in the part we just uploaded, all the eyeballs in the sky, and I freak out, cuz it's something INTERESTING and new.

Aside from those two moments, my mind struggles to give Evil Within any sort of memorable visual identity. The characters, the story, the weapons, the enemies; everything feels so middling and average.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

TheRealestMatt posted:

Aside from those two moments, my mind struggles to give Evil Within any sort of memorable visual identity. The characters, the story, the weapons, the enemies; everything feels so middling and average.

I definitely agree, especially with the characters. There's nothing distinguishing about any of them (except maybe Joseph who at least has nerd glasses). Seabass suffers from the same problem as the Soul Suspect protagonist. They're just gruff, tough as nails, white guy detectives with dead wives and they gotta solve the mystery and beyond that, there's not much else. Like you could switch the two around and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

What about Ruvik, he's baller as hell

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Tae posted:

Gonna be real awkward when half the crew puts Evil Within on their poo poo list and liam puts it in his top 5

Nah, Liam's top five will be obscure, creepy Vita games that "have great gameplay I swear"

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

What about Ruvik, he's baller as hell

He could have been. He could have been an actual intimidating villain. But he shows up, like what? Twice in the game? And all you have to do is run from him? You listen to a few voice recordings, you get to see those random ghostly memories of his past. And that's it. Of course he's the final boss, but he's been built up so poorly up to that point, there's no real tension leading to the showdown with him at all. Also, Ruvik has no real beef with Sebastian, and Sebastian doesn't really have anything to do with Ruvik. Sebas is just some random guy that showed up.

Like, think about Alma in the first two FEAR games. She's constantly in there, loving poo poo up and being a scary threat. That's how you make a villain in your game. Or Flemming in Shadows of the Damned, he steals/kills your gf, and you have to go and save her. Ruvik is just...there. Just kinda independent of your hero's intentions. What are Sebastian's intentions again? Save Leslie? No, save Joseph? I don't honestly remember. The only things I remember Sebastian ever saying was, "This is horrible." and "This can't be happening." also, don't forget the classic, "What's going on?"

I could forgive Evil Within's gameplay flaws, poor pacing and that stuff, if the story/characters were even remotely interesting. But they're not.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

That's true. Say what you will about Saddler, and you can argue Ruvik might be a better character, but at least Leon and Saddler had more interactions and they had reasons not to like each other. Sebastian's only real reason to want to kill Ruvik is because he's stuck in Ruvik's mind-world or something and confronting Ruvik is the only way to escape maybe? Which I guess is fair enough, but it's not very compelling.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

TheRealestMatt posted:

Evil Within is easily the most disappointing game of the year to me, considering it's subject matter and pedigree. Again, not the worst or most broken game, but just everything about it is so mediocre and forgettable.

No offense but I don't understand why you expecting big things out of TEW? It's a game the creator didn't want to make in a genre the creator wanted to move away from that was kind of rushed to get out. The whole thing just kind of screams "HACK JOB" to me, regardless of his previous works.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

No offense but I don't understand why you expecting big things out of TEW? It's a game the creator didn't want to make in a genre the creator wanted to move away from that was kind of rushed to get out. The whole thing just kind of screams "HACK JOB" to me, regardless of his previous works.

It looked REALLY good pre-release.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Improbable Lobster posted:

It looked REALLY good pre-release.

No it did not. Those trailers with Safe man look REALLY generic.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think Evil Within has looked pretty drat cool and maybe it's a different experience when you're playing it yourself, but the whole thing really seems like one big love letter to RE4 in both mechanics and gameplay. Of course, I'm still not caught up on the series all the way, so I'm still holding out for something to happen to make me not like it anymore.

But I agree with Matt in that Seb kinda seems incidental in the whole business, like Ruvik has demonstrated his ability to instantly kill anything that exists and yet Sebastian has plot armor so he just gets teleported to some other place.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 17, 2014

king of no pants
Mar 10, 2007

i'm watchin'
you post
Podcast was fun to listen to, including the part where Pat got really mad about bitcoins.

Also idk how it's like in Canada, but Uber is notoriously creepy/lovely stateside.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

king of no pants posted:

Podcast was fun to listen to, including the part where Pat got really mad about bitcoins.

Also idk how it's like in Canada, but Uber is notoriously creepy/lovely stateside.

IIRC the cops in Vancouver have been doing stings on Uber vehicles because they don't follow any local regulations. Just order a vehicle with the app, wait for them to show up and impound their car.

Next-Jin Engine
Dec 7, 2013

TheRealestMatt posted:

Also, Ruvik has no real beef with Sebastian, and Sebastian doesn't really have anything to do with Ruvik. Sebas is just some random guy that showed up.

So here's the thing I kind of love about the conflict between Sebastian and Ruvik: on paper they have no reason to be fighting each other. By Ch. 15 you know that Ruvik's research was taken against his will by some shadowy military organization that wanted his brain research. Sebastian, as you learn through the final Seb's Notes, is looking for the conspiracy who abducted his wife, who was looking into leads on a case when someone burned down their home, which may/may not have been the shadowy organization covering for Ruvik's work.

All signs point to each wanting to take down the same enemy. So why don't they fight on the same side? Because Ruvik is an evil sociopathic prick by nature, and it's Seb's duty as an officer to bring him to justice.

It's worth noting you get all this mostly from the two game collectibles that are impossible to miss: Ruvik's Tapes and Sebastian's Notes, both being chronicles of all the character development Seb and Ruvik have already gone through before the game's events. For a game that has the most blunt and obvious game/enemy design, it finds alot of time to hide game/lore details here and there. Such as, why doesn't Seb use his revolver when he gets grabbed by the invisible monster in front of the handcrank?

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
drat. You guys know about the Gen infinite combo? The article states it's "restricted to Endless Lobbies", but still.

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/dec/15/gen-infinite-combo-discovered-omega-edition-ultra-street-fighter-4/

goldblums eyes
Jan 11, 2011

Matt

What's the longest session you've had playing a game for an LP?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
At least Mikami tried with TEW's story, which is more than you can say for RE4

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Hey Mat, this seems as good a place to bring this to your attention as any, There's something a bit weird going on with the ads on your site. I've whitelisted it (and your youtube channel) to allow adverts, but under Firefox 34 and the NoScript 2.6.9.6 extension all the adverts on your website that aren't from your t-shirt store are looking like this:

quote:

!doctype html> html> head> style> !-- a:link { color: #ffffff }a:visited { color: #ffffff }a:hover { color: #ffffff }a:active { color: #ffffff } --> /style> script> !-- function ){window.ss function ){};}) ); function ){var c function a,e,h){var b document;b.addEventListener?b.addEventListener a,e,h||!1):b.attachEvent&&b.attachEvent "on"+a,e)};var d,f !1,g !1;c "mousedown",function ){f !0});c "keydown",function ){g
etc.

I've had confirmation from other people that it can be replicated. Probably some weird benign bug, but the suggestion I read on the NoScript forums was that it appears to be something trying to run an HTML page through window.name.
Possibly to do with this.

Anyway, cheers for the work you do. Your videos and podcast bring me a lot of pleasure.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 18, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Improbable Lobster posted:

Nah, Liam's top five will be obscure, creepy Vita games that "have great gameplay I swear"

His Best game was VLR, a visual novel. I don't think Liam seriously cares about the gameplay of his bad vita games. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Danganronpa was on the top of his list.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Next-Jin Engine posted:

So here's the thing I kind of love about the conflict between Sebastian and Ruvik: on paper they have no reason to be fighting each other. By Ch. 15 you know that Ruvik's research was taken against his will by some shadowy military organization that wanted his brain research. Sebastian, as you learn through the final Seb's Notes, is looking for the conspiracy who abducted his wife, who was looking into leads on a case when someone burned down their home, which may/may not have been the shadowy organization covering for Ruvik's work.

All signs point to each wanting to take down the same enemy. So why don't they fight on the same side? Because Ruvik is an evil sociopathic prick by nature, and it's Seb's duty as an officer to bring him to justice.

It's worth noting you get all this mostly from the two game collectibles that are impossible to miss: Ruvik's Tapes and Sebastian's Notes, both being chronicles of all the character development Seb and Ruvik have already gone through before the game's events. For a game that has the most blunt and obvious game/enemy design, it finds alot of time to hide game/lore details here and there. Such as, why doesn't Seb use his revolver when he gets grabbed by the invisible monster in front of the handcrank?

I think it's absolutely 100% unacceptable for a game in 2014 to give such major details only through collectibles, especially lovely ones that are more nothing than legitimate worldbuilding.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Blockhouse posted:

If anything that makes RE4's story better. The worldbuilding with the Plagas and the three separate locations you go to all have an interesting building for the people of those villages and how they lived. The monsters had genuinely interesting designs due to having more focus and the game could be built better as a game and its characters reflect better from it. Like RE4's story is not amazing, but there's enough little tidbits in both collectibles and the actual game for you to have fun about Leon's dumb action hero zaniness with Midget Napoleon and Spaniard Rasputin while there also being an interesting backstory as far as RE goes. Hell, the ending credits showing the village's turn from regular people into the Ganados is actually super cool. You know what the great thing about all of this is? The game doesn't throw it in your loving face every five minutes, this is basic Resident Evil crap that you can happen upon and be like "oh neat" and if you never notice it you don't really lose anything because Saddler's a very simple and common villain archetype.

The Evil Within takes itself super seriously, there's not enough in the way of breathing room and if you don't collect all of the poo poo the story doesn't make sense. There's something to be acknowledged in a story that doesn't try actually turning out better because other things help to enhance it more that you'd never consider. RE4 is not fine art, but it's actually a really fun video game story, where TEW is really boring horror-inspired crap that has a lot of chances to make its characters interesting and just fails at it.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 18, 2014

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

Blockhouse posted:

"Try" is the operative word here.

Yet RE4's story was still far more entertaining to me.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also I listened to the podcast today and I don't mean to be a smarmy rear end in a top hat about this, but Matt did you know that Gouken is actually possibly a ghost in SF4? Something was lost in translation and he's actually personified as a ghost in the Japanese script for SSFIV. Also, Charlie's been alive since SF4 as well since he's the one who saved Abel. SF4 did a lot of silly stuff with SF's canon.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
As long as C.Viper shows up in 5 and she's still being a supermom as well as Hakan being a superdad, who cares about SF lore? :colbert:

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Rhonne posted:

Are they planning on doing the DLC when it comes out as well?

I think Pat mentioned that he'd already bought the DLC (or a season pass or something), but it was for the PC version that they're not playing anymore.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Pat mentioned he bought it for the PS4 as well, I thought?

TheRealestMatt
Jun 27, 2014

Yeah, we'll be doing the DLC. I guess we have to, since the main game's ending was so....yeah, I won't say anything for those that have not had the misfortune of seeing it.

I'm really sorry it seems I'm being so harsh on the game, but I really enjoyed the mansion section at PAX that I had played, but after experiencing the full game, it's just so, so disappointing when compared to Mikami's previous titles.

Thanks for that note about the website snafu, I'll pass it along to the appropriate parties.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Matt, I just want to say thank you.
There have been Let's Plays that have got me to buy the game, but never before has one filled me with such a blazin' desire to play it than the Def Jam playthrough. Please you and Woolie continue to be the best Best Friends

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
For what it's worth I have thoroughly enjoyed the EW playthrough, more so than the RE4 one. But then I have no experience of or attachment to the RE games, or for that matter survival horror as a genre other than SH2. The honest reactions to the peaks and (many) troughs of the game are, to me, far more compelling than seeing someone play something they mastered and memories years ago.