Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Praseodymi posted:

So he was literally wedged in, Christ. Can't think of anything worse.
The passage was so narrow (also, he was like 6 feet tall and 200 pounds), the caver had to hold his breath as he tried to crawl through it. The rescue team couldn't manually pull him out because the sharp rock was digging into the bottom of his ribs.

Celery Face has a new favorite as of 01:56 on Dec 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

MightyJoe36 posted:

Nightmare fuel indeed. I had an anxiety attack when I had to have an MRI. After reading the last few posts I need a drink.

A few months back I had to get an MRI of my neck, and they had me lie down on a plastic brace, which was then screwed into place around my neck to hold me perfectly still. I'm not claustrophobic in an MRI and it only took like 15 minutes, so it didn't bother me.

Now, people who have cancer and need radiation therapy of their head/neck get REALLY strapped down. I'm not sure how well I'd deal with that.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

HonorableTB posted:

I was living in Valdosta while this was happening, and most people still think there is more to this story than what the authorities claim. All of the CCTV footage was intact...except for the one camera that was covering where Johnson was, and it was missing footage and seemed to jump around. There was a known relationship between Johnson and another student, who had animosity towards each other, and the student didn't have an alibi for that time period. Even better: that student was related to the Lowndes County sheriff. When they pulled Johnson out of the mat, his face looked beaten to the point where he was almost unrecognizable; far more damage than you would expect, even from a corpse that had been upside down for that period of time. The coroner wasn't called until almost 12 hours after the body was discovered (Georgia state law says the coroner must be called immediately, and the coroner later gave a statement saying that his investigation was impeded and that he was repeatedly told to hurry up by the police. The autopsy showed he had blunt force trauma to his head, but the official cause of death was labeled as asphyxiation. Oh, and someone forgot to put his organs back in the body after the autopsy was done and instead, upon the second autopsy, his body was found to be stuffed with newspaper :v:

Common theory is that the sheriff's relative killed Johnson after a dispute over a girl (the story is that Johnson banged the guy's girlfriend and that this was revenge), the sheriff's office covered it up, and to this day Johnson's family and supporters protest in the downtown Valdosta square. I don't think they're grasping at straws here, I legitimately think there's more to it than what we were told. The Georgia Bureau of Investigation has taken over the case and has barred the Lowndes County authorities from "assisting". Last October, the U.S. Attorney's Office in Middle Georgia also opened an investigation into the case.

Thanks for this update. I've been wondering what was happening in the case. I hope they find out what *really* happened, because I agree, poo poo was sketch as hell.

tviolet
May 20, 2004

quote:

Now, people who have cancer and need radiation therapy of their head/neck get REALLY strapped down. I'm not sure how well I'd deal with that.
A radiotherapy mask. Until I worked at a cancer-related foundation, I never heard about it at all, even if about one third of the north american population will have cancer in their lifetime.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

A few months back I had to get an MRI of my neck, and they had me lie down on a plastic brace, which was then screwed into place around my neck to hold me perfectly still. I'm not claustrophobic in an MRI and it only took like 15 minutes, so it didn't bother me.

I had an MRI and discovered it does give you claustrophobia. Second time around they give you a sedative. I felt in no way different than before, but the claustrophobia never occurred. I only needed the min dose, and they said it works on 95% of the population. Would suck for the last 5% though.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Thanks for this update. I've been wondering what was happening in the case. I hope they find out what *really* happened, because I agree, poo poo was sketch as hell.

My completely uneducated guess is that it's probably simpler, that someone rolled him up in the mat as a prank, possibly conscious or unconscious depending on the maliciousness of the offender, and left him there, not expecting the asphyxiation part of it. And obviously not coming forward afterwards because hey murder charges.

hungry for crepes n shit
Aug 17, 2005

MightyJoe36 posted:

In this group, yeah. I'm old enough to remember stuff like rotary phones, black & white TV, and stores being closed on Sunday. I'm also young enough to appreciate being able to call my son in another country and not have to wait until Sunday night to do it so it only cost $2. a minute, being able to watch any TV program or movie I want, when I want, and to have every record, tape, and CD I ever owned fit on something smaller than a pack of cigarettes.
I was born in 1966. I remember eight-tracks, Jerrold remotes and WKRP in Cincinatti.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Abugadu posted:

My completely uneducated guess is that it's probably simpler, that someone rolled him up in the mat as a prank, possibly conscious or unconscious depending on the maliciousness of the offender, and left him there, not expecting the asphyxiation part of it. And obviously not coming forward afterwards because hey murder charges.

He fell in facefirst trying to get some shoes stored inside and became unconscious. It has always been the same narrative, but he "looked beat up" so there were a bunch of weird conspiracy theories.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

theflyingorc posted:

He fell in facefirst trying to get some shoes stored inside and became unconscious. It has always been the same narrative, but he "looked beat up" so there were a bunch of weird conspiracy theories.

honestly falling into a rolled up gym mat that for some reason had his shoes in it and getting "lodged" is such a bizarre and unlikely series of events that I would've been questioning the hell out of it regardless of the rest of the story

Tibor
Apr 29, 2009

Aesop Poprock posted:

honestly falling into a rolled up gym mat that for some reason had his shoes in it and getting "lodged" is such a bizarre and unlikely series of events that I would've been questioning the hell out of it regardless of the rest of the story

A bunch of kids who regularly spent time in the gym with him said he always threw his shoes up onto the gym mats and would climb on top of them to collect them when he was done. I do appreciate that the circumstances are very weird but there are also suggestions that the family's lawyers (I think...) lied about some of the stuff that went on and it was ruled that stuffing the body with newspaper, while insensitive, was perfectly legal and acceptable. It's one of those situations where there seems to be a balance between which scenario is more realistic: a bunch of weird circumstances surrounding a mundane death or a bunch of explainable circumstances covering up a mysterious death.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
Another possible source for weird and strange stories is the podcast "Generation Why". The presentation is frankly not great - too many pauses and slow rambling thoughts - but it does feature some interesting cases. For example, the disappearance of Brian Carrick.

See:

* http://abcnews.go.com/US/happened-brian-carrick-inside-unsolved-case-illinois-teen/story?id=25842096#all

* http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...b-brian-carrick

Potted summary:

* Illinois, 2002: 17-year old Brian Carrick crosses the road from his house and into the grocery store where he works as a stockboy. That is the last time he is seen.

* "Watery blood" is found pooled in the stores produce locker but inexplicably is is largely mopped up before anyone thinks of it.

* No progress is made on the case for 8 years. Then, Shane Lamb, who had been another stockboy at the same time as Carrick, is on the hook for drug charges. He cuts a deal with authorities and says that he was recruited by Mario Casciaro, another stockboy and son of the store owner, to beat Carrick up over a drug debt.

* Lamb says he knocked Carrick out and then left the unconscious body with Casciaro.

* Mario Casciaro is eventually convicted of Carricks murder and sentenced for 26 years.

* Earlier this year, Lamb recants his entire statement during a TV interview, saying the state attorney "set it up".

* Meanwhile, blood from another employee was found inside the produce locker. Robert Render explained it away by saying he had a really bad hangnail that was bleeding. But witnesses state that Render disappeared for about two hours that night, reappeared with blood on his trousers and and was seen by the locker with a mop.

* Render cannot be interviewed however, as he subsequently died of a drug overdose.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Not a Wikipedia article, but...

It Happened to Me: My Co-Worker Killed Her Baby At Work

quote:

It was a slow day in the office, and a few of us gathered around Jane’s cube. Jeff tinkered a bit and the drawer rolled open, revealing a bundle of gray blankets. The stench was horrible, driving the more sensitive of us into the bathroom, conveniently right by Jane’s cube. But suddenly, all of the comedy went out of Jeff’s face. He stole up the bundle and ran to the door of the lunch patio and yelled that no one should follow him.

Maybe some of us sensed what was coming next, but I didn’t. We crowded around the window, looking at Jeff outside. He unwrapped the bundle gingerly, like he was carefully, contemplatively removing wrapping paper from a gift. Then everything exploded.

I don’t know if I heard Jeff scream out and jump back first, or if I saw the tiny arms, shoulder and head. Unquestionably a baby. Just as quickly, Jeff covered the bundle and Burt, a department supervisor, physically came up and dragged us away from the window. But it was too late: the seven of us who were there already knew, and two of the older women cried. I was bewildered and numb

It's real: http://articles.latimes.com/1996-08-08/local/me-32443_1_arrest-warrant

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Sharpe posted:

I was born in 1966. I remember eight-tracks, Jerrold remotes and WKRP in Cincinatti.

I was born in 1982 and remember WKRP In Cincinnati. That and Quincy MD were my favorite shows when I was four. I was a weird kid.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Jesus I wish I hadn't read that. gently caress people. :smithicide:

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006

Thank you, I couldn't remember where I had read that story before. The baby in the filing cabinet is briefly mentioned in this good recent article about the psychology of neonaticide.

quote:

Neglect played a part in another story I encountered. Christine Bernard (not her real name) was 27 and already a mother when she was charged with the murder of her newborn in France. She agreed to speak to me only by email. She told me that she had experienced what is often termed unconscious denial for the full duration of her pregnancy. “I had no symptoms,” she writes. “To give an idea of my ‘form,’ I biked with my son on the luggage rack a few hours before giving birth.”

This narrative of conscious denial is not uncommon. The amplified version of this, in women who never even become consciously aware of their pregnancy, is often known as unconscious denial. A surprising number of pregnant women—about 1 in 2,500—maintain this until birth.

Bernard only became conscious of her pregnancy when she recognized the feeling of the contractions. She rushed to a nearby toilet and gave birth alone in the late afternoon. “The baby died,” she writes. “I was in full physical and mental distress, drained of blood, and I could not call for help and did not want to.” She left the baby in the bathroom, where it was found when help later arrived.

Bernard was arrested and spent a month in a psychiatric hospital before being transferred to prison for six months to await trial. It was only at this point that medical reports suggested that her baby had probably not been healthy enough to live outside the womb without aid. She was acquitted, but her enormous guilt over her denial remains. She worries every day that she might be pregnant, and concealing it from herself again.

This whole phenomenon is totally nighmarish and bizarre. I have to admit that I have a weird preoccupation with how so many of these women can give birth unassisted and undetected. I wonder if whatever is going on psychologically with the denial helps them keep things quiet.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

In the XO Jane article, the author talks about how she and the co-worker shared a first name, and that other employees would call her and leave accusatory voice mails. I'll just quote it:

Anonymous posted:

I, on the other hand, was slowly climbing out of a gothy phase, wearing nothing but weird black clothing to work every day. Despite the fact I hid them with long sleeves and turtlenecks, everyone knew that I was covered in tattoos and my arms bore thick scars from my years as a cutter. Around our little satellite office, my colleagues knew that I was quiet, smart, shy and considerate, but around the bigger workplace, people only thought they knew who I was. And a lot of them thought that I was the Jane who might have been the baby killer.

For about two weeks, my phone rang at least once an hour, mostly with people calling and just hanging up. If I stepped away for a break, I would come back to hear messages of BITCH, DIE, YOU loving oval office. And people from the big corporate building next door would randomly walk over, then hover at my cube. My department was all told not to talk about it, so I couldn’t say, “Hey, you’re ogling the wrong woman; the baby killer is sitting over there by the bathroom.”

What I'd like to know is if there is a name for the other co-worker's reactions? What drives someone unaffected by the incident to feel the need to lash out at the (perceived) perpetrator? I know there are analogues for lots of high-profile cases, but why do outsiders feel the need to chastise before a verdict is rendered and in situations where what's done is done and no amount of berating will reverse the deed. I'm sure it can be boiled down to "human nature," but I bet people who study human nature have a term for this behavior.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Tibor posted:

A bunch of kids who regularly spent time in the gym with him said he always threw his shoes up onto the gym mats and would climb on top of them to collect them when he was done. I do appreciate that the circumstances are very weird but there are also suggestions that the family's lawyers (I think...) lied about some of the stuff that went on and it was ruled that stuffing the body with newspaper, while insensitive, was perfectly legal and acceptable. It's one of those situations where there seems to be a balance between which scenario is more realistic: a bunch of weird circumstances surrounding a mundane death or a bunch of explainable circumstances covering up a mysterious death.

Strangely, there is an update just today on the case.. And the more detailed local version.

The family is currently clinging to a "travel log" of a wrestling team bus, which lists a 4 o'clock departure time for the state wrestling tournament weigh-ins. They believed that this proved that one of the kids claimed to have issues with Johnson was still on campus at the time of his death. As it turns out, he wasn't as the bus left at or before 12:30 because the weigh-ins were at 4 and all the information in the article in regards to travel times lines up.

Like Honorable TB who posted on the previous page, I know the area, too, and I'm much more willing to pin pure incompetence on the local investigation rather than malice. It's a terrible situation for the family and they should be pissed at how the investigation was initially handled.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

LawfulWaffle posted:

What I'd like to know is if there is a name for the other co-worker's reactions? What drives someone unaffected by the incident to feel the need to lash out at the (perceived) perpetrator? I know there are analogues for lots of high-profile cases, but why do outsiders feel the need to chastise before a verdict is rendered and in situations where what's done is done and no amount of berating will reverse the deed. I'm sure it can be boiled down to "human nature," but I bet people who study human nature have a term for this behavior.
I'd be interested in this, too. Similarly, there's two British celebrities named "Ian Watkins". One of them molested children and was a super evil person, the other one is just some guy in a band. The one who isn't a child molester constantly gets E-mails and messages calling him a pedophile because people think there's some benefit to saying "I HATE YOU" to a celebrity, but don't think it's worth checking to make sure they've got the right person.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

theflyingorc posted:

I'd be interested in this, too. Similarly, there's two British celebrities named "Ian Watkins". One of them molested children and was a super evil person, the other one is just some guy in a band. The one who isn't a child molester constantly gets E-mails and messages calling him a pedophile because people think there's some benefit to saying "I HATE YOU" to a celebrity, but don't think it's worth checking to make sure they've got the right person.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

theflyingorc posted:

I was going to come in here and "correct" you, because technically Ian Watkins the child molester was ALSO "just some guy in a band" but apparently there are two musicians named Ian Watkins. Carry on.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

YeahTubaMike posted:

I was going to come in here and "correct" you, because technically Ian Watkins the child molester was ALSO "just some guy in a band" but apparently there are two musicians named Ian Watkins. Carry on.
I don't know that you'd get away with calling H from Steps a musician though. :v: Cue someone coming in and telling me that actually he has an O-Level in clarinet or something.

On topic, is the term for lashing out at perpetrators not just "mob justice"?

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

theflyingorc posted:

This also happened with a Baltimore sportswriter named Gerry Sandusky who gets people yelling at him on Twitter for molesting kids because they confuse him with Penn State's Jerry Sandusky.

BurroughsBane
May 21, 2007

I mean to know before I go how come the devil smiles.

Anyone know how the the blood splatter on the wall and nearby shoe(s) has been explained? Or, how his shoes were found nearer to his feet, if he did, in fact, accidentally fall headfirst into the mat while looking for his shoes?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

BurroughsBane posted:

Anyone know how the the blood splatter on the wall and nearby shoe(s) has been explained? Or, how his shoes were found nearer to his feet, if he did, in fact, accidentally fall headfirst into the mat while looking for his shoes?

lol source both your claims here, I was following it back in the day and this is literally the first time I heard anything about blood splatter.

BurroughsBane
May 21, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

lol source both your claims here, I was following it back in the day and this is literally the first time I heard anything about blood splatter.

I can't speak to their credibility, but these are the links that I was looking at:

http://www.hlntv.com/slideshow/2013/10/10/kendrick-johnson-georgia-gym-mat-death-evidence
http://globalgrind.com/2013/11/07/mysterious-details-about-kendrick-johnsons-death-list-photos-video/
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1310/30/acd.01.html (Anderson Cooper 360 transcript where he mentions the blood splatter)

Crime scene photos show a large amount of blood next to Kendrick’s sneaker as well as blood splatter on the toe of one sneaker and on a wall of the gym.

BurroughsBane has a new favorite as of 21:42 on Dec 17, 2014

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc
C'mon.

There's just so much ridiculous stuff. "His shoulders were too wide to fit into the mat". Which makes it all the more impressive that they managed to roll him up in the mat after they killed him. Every single point of contention is hearsay on top of hearsay. "There's no footage of him climbing into the mat" so the only possible explanation is that he was murdered and then rolled into the mat, which was then placed at the scene without THAT being caught on video? There's "blood splatter" on the wall - uh, are we trying to suggest they beat him to death immediately next to the mat? Yes, there's stuff that looks weird, but it's not pointing to anything!

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

C'mon.

There's just so much ridiculous stuff. "His shoulders were too wide to fit into the mat". Which makes it all the more impressive that they managed to roll him up in the mat after they killed him. Every single point of contention is hearsay on top of hearsay. "There's no footage of him climbing into the mat" so the only possible explanation is that he was murdered and then rolled into the mat, which was then placed at the scene without THAT being caught on video? There's "blood splatter" on the wall - uh, are we trying to suggest they beat him to death immediately next to the mat? Yes, there's stuff that looks weird, but it's not pointing to anything!

The cool thing about his shoulders being too wide to fit in the mat is that, being a mat, it can be unrolled and then re-rolled around his body, making him now able to fit. And the CCTV thing has already been explained. The footage was tampered with in that camera, whereas none of the other cameras were messed with at all.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

theflyingorc posted:

C'mon.

Surely you realise there is a difference between crawling into a mat using the force of your arms, and being placed in the middle of a mat and being rolled up.

Maybe it's worth considering if your brilliant takedown of those uppity parents can be refuted with even the slightest bit of thought.

Quite frankly I have no idea what happened, and I'll let the feds get a handle on it because they don't seem to have a stake in protecting their ol' boys. If they say it was an accident, then I'd be satisfied.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

theflyingorc posted:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/isis-rock-band-mistaken-reviled-terrorist-group/story?id=25088363

Pilchenstein posted:

On topic, is the term for lashing out at perpetrators not just "mob justice"?

I'm not sure if this is right. "Mob justice" is more political and involves a gaggle of people swarming authority to change policy, like the Storming of the Bastille during the French Revolution. A modern example would be the Egyptian coup d'etat of last year. I guess the Occupy movement and the recent solidarity marches in the US would be applicable too if they resulted in a change of policy/government.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

HonorableTB posted:

The cool thing about his shoulders being too wide to fit in the mat is that, being a mat, it can be unrolled and then re-rolled around his body, making him now able to fit.
...unrolling and rolling a mat makes the space non-euclidian? If the size of the gap in the mat is 14 inches, and his shoulders are 19 inches across, he literally cannot fit. The more likely scenario is poor reporting of some of those numbers.

edit: In case you're confused, a rolled up wrestling mat is approximately an even tube across the entire length of the thing. If you put a basketball in the middle, you're going to have a difficult time making either end significantly narrower than a basketball.

theflyingorc has a new favorite as of 23:15 on Dec 17, 2014

BurroughsBane
May 21, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

If he accidentally fell in while trying to get his shoes, why were his shoes found around his calf area? If it was tight enough to suffocate him, then it was too tight for him to maneuver his shoes from below his head to his feet.
I seriously want to know how this could be explained.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

In case you're confused, a rolled up wrestling mat is approximately an even tube across the entire length of the thing. If you put a basketball in the middle, you're going to have a difficult time making either end significantly narrower than a basketball.

You don't know how flexible things work. It is quite easy to think of a way to wrap something more tightly at the ends than the middle of something is in there. As a slightly off example, a piece of bubble gum in a wrapper.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

nucleicmaxid posted:

You don't know how flexible things work. It is quite easy to think of a way to wrap something more tightly at the ends than the middle of something is in there. As a slightly off example, a piece of bubble gum in a wrapper.
And you apparently don't know what a wrestling mat is.

BurroughsBane posted:

If he accidentally fell in while trying to get his shoes, why were his shoes found around his calf area? If it was tight enough to suffocate him, then it was too tight for him to maneuver his shoes from below his head to his feet.
I seriously want to know how this could be explained.

Pretty sure those were the pair he was wearing when he fell in and he kicked them off while struggling. Not sure why he had multiple pairs of shoes, but are we pretending that gym class involves sliding around in socks?

BurroughsBane
May 21, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

Pretty sure those were the pair he was wearing when he fell in and he kicked them off while struggling. Not sure why he had multiple pairs of shoes, but are we pretending that gym class involves sliding around in socks?

Then why weren't the shoes that he was supposedly looking for found at the bottom of the mat or in the surrounding area?

theflyingorc posted:

C'mon.

There's "blood splatter" on the wall - uh, are we trying to suggest they beat him to death immediately next to the mat? Yes, there's stuff that looks weird, but it's not pointing to anything!

Why is it weird that a struggle could have occurred right next to the mat?? If he didn't fall, he didn't willingly go into a mat, upside-down.... Are you playing some weird, devil's advocate here with the "stuff looks weird, but c'mon" thing? Why are you so casually dismissing blood splatter and blood drips right next to a dead body?? I get that forensics can be like statistics (lies, damned lies, and statistics), but there are some seriously weird forensics going on in this case. Or at least, far too many weird details to just dismiss and walk away. His parents would be callous as gently caress to see all this evidence and just rule it an accident.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

And you apparently don't know what a wrestling mat is.

A flexible foam pad that could easily be rolled with a bulge in the middle.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
Not saying this happened, but there is also the possibility that it could have been rolled up more conical than cylindrical, which would permit one part to be narrower than the other side.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

For some reason there is a picture of the guys body inside the mat on the wikipedia page. Just looking at it, it's hard to imagine how you would either accidentally fall headfirst into a wrestling mat and end up like that, or wriggle yourself into the mat in the same way.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

nucleicmaxid posted:

A flexible foam pad that could easily be rolled with a bulge in the middle.

If you've ever seen a giant high school wrestling mat you'd know that no, they're massive heavy things, and you couldn't possible end up with one end significantly narrower than the other side and then stand it upright.

BurroughsBane posted:

Then why weren't the shoes that he was supposedly looking for found at the bottom of the mat or in the surrounding area?
Source, basically everything about this case then and now was entirely based on hearsay.

quote:

Why is it weird that a struggle could have occurred right next to the mat?? If he didn't fall, he didn't willingly go into a mat, upside-down.... Are you playing some weird, devil's advocate here with the "stuff looks weird, but c'mon" thing? Why are you so casually dismissing blood splatter and blood drips right next to a dead body?? I get that forensics can be like statistics (lies, damned lies, and statistics), but there are some seriously weird forensics going on in this case. Or at least, far too many weird details to just dismiss and walk away. His parents would be callous as gently caress to see all this evidence and just rule it an accident.
Because it's a gym where people run into stuff, and the picture of the "splatter" doesn't look like anything. The GBS thread had a person who was an actual expert on forensics dismissing every single point the second autopsy brought up as "the person who did the autopsy is stupid and finding exactly what he wanted to find". And, mostly, because the real reason that anyone ever heard anything about the case is because the mom decided she knew what a person who got trapped upside down and asphyxiated is supposed to look like.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

If you've ever seen a giant high school wrestling mat you'd know that no, they're massive heavy things, and you couldn't possible end up with one end significantly narrower than the other side and then stand it upright.

I have and you're wrong. I'm not sure what this is contributing to the discussion though, since we're both just sort of saying nu-uh, uh-huh back and forth. But I've never had the privilege to argue with someone who so patently ignores reality in an attempt to one up every other poster in the thread and be right constantly. It's like we have our very own home grown Andy Schlafly. So please, go on. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

nucleicmaxid posted:

I have and you're wrong. I'm not sure what this is contributing to the discussion though, since we're both just sort of saying nu-uh, uh-huh back and forth. But I've never had the privilege to argue with someone who so patently ignores reality in an attempt to one up every other poster in the thread and be right constantly. It's like we have our very own home grown Andy Schlafly. So please, go on. :allears:

Try it with objects at your desk, pieces of paper and whatever else you've got. Your two "exits" are going to be approximately the same size as your middle unless you do some really, really weird twisting in an attempt to do it on purpose.

It's possible for your innermost "ring" to be narrower, yes, but pressure from the inside can expand it to match. I'm seriously confused how you think that the opening of a non-stretchy, semi-rigid material can be significantly smaller than an object stored inside when rolled from one end.