Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Aesis posted:

This is precisely why I don't trust those voice commands :v:

Just use it for non-critical stuff and give it a proper, distinctive command string.

Mine all begin with the computer's name, followed by an at least two word command, and I make sure they're all quite different from each other.

I do wish I could record what it *should* sound like and match against that instead of trying to match text, though. Let my pitch control the result and stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
VoiceAttack parses me clapping as "yes yes", so I bound that to my ship lights. :v:

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
So; Combat Zones. Where abouts are they, just in the old starting area or are they spread across the galaxy? Mining in a Sidewinder hurts my brain and trading in my neck of the woods isn't panning out. Shooting folks is next!

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
There's definitely something wrong with Scooping right now. I was having no issues for dozens last night, and now I can't pick up something that's in the center of the reticle at 10m/s.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

NuckmasterJ posted:

So; Combat Zones. Where abouts are they, just in the old starting area or are they spread across the galaxy? Mining in a Sidewinder hurts my brain and trading in my neck of the woods isn't panning out. Shooting folks is next!

Combat zones show up in systems that are in a state of... civil unrest. Sorbago is a good example right now.

They suck rear end for money though, prowl for bounties at nav beacons/resource extraction sites instead. Conflict zones pay 3k per kill, every kill regardless of ship type. Sounds alright until you realize that basically everything other than Sidewinders almost always have bounties higher than that (potentially MUCH higher in the case of Pythons and Anacondas).

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
There's a button I find very useful, pressing it changes all Roll mouse control to Yaw mouse control.

I have my mouse set to "Yaw then Roll", and Q and E set to Yaw, pressing that Yaw/Roll swap button changes the mouse to full Yaw and Q and E automatically becomes Roll.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Anyone know of somewhere near Jotunheim that actually sells regular, non-imperial slaves? Battani dock next door lists them in the trade info but there aren't actually any in the commodities panel.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Do rare resources respawn at a rate that makes running between two stations that sells them work, or was what I was doing last night where I was just going between every system that had some and selling from the last station to pick up another load at least as good?

Trading is good money but I think I'd rather go back to bounty hunting and will probably do so soon since I have enough to sell my Eagle and kit out a Viper now.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aesis posted:

This is precisely why I don't trust those voice commands :v:

Don't make a voice command for boost lol

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Frank Horrigan posted:

Combat zones show up in systems that are in a state of... civil unrest. Sorbago is a good example right now.

They suck rear end for money though, prowl for bounties at nav beacons/resource extraction sites instead. Conflict zones pay 3k per kill, every kill regardless of ship type. Sounds alright until you realize that basically everything other than Sidewinders almost always have bounties higher than that (potentially MUCH higher in the case of Pythons and Anacondas).

Ah, 3k does sound kind of meager. Then again my mining and trading runs have been bringing in the same or less. Guess I'll reset my save and get my eagle back while I'm at it.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

So I haven't been paying close attention to this for a while: Did either the gamma or release versions include any support for grouping with friends and travelling together and doing stuff together?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

No. Group Mechanics are, however, their priority for post-release

Bloody Wanker
Dec 31, 2008
Just a heads up, Nvidia has released a new driver to their cards that includes optimisation for E:D

http://www.incgamers.com/2014/12/elite-dangerous-optimisations-added-in-new-geforce-game-ready-driver-347-09

Dipes
Oct 24, 2003

Sheep posted:

Anyone know of somewhere near Jotunheim that actually sells regular, non-imperial slaves? Battani dock next door lists them in the trade info but there aren't actually any in the commodities panel.

I've been running slaves from the Ngalbi system to wherever they are needed. Pancaked into the side of a Coriolis starport with 4 in my hold. 44k lost there plus 35k insurance costs. Sigh.

But basically running slaves can net you 2x profit if you get the right missions.

Anyway, I think prison systems tend to have slaves for sale.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

Frank Horrigan posted:

VoiceAttack parses me clapping as "yes yes", so I bound that to my ship lights. :v:

You doing a lot of clapping while you're playing, Frank? :raise:

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
All the people getting annoyed that there are no goals don't seem to know that the three other ones were exactly the same way (more or less). I think lots of the unhappiness about this is because the game is drawing in the MMO crowd because of all the online shenanigans and they seem to expect something entirely else.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Got a chance to play last night after getting locked in hand-to-hand combat with my suddenly nonfunctional Trackir4. Loving it so far, for me just having an entire galaxy of systems to fly around makes it a game. Being able to shoot stuff is just gravy. Incidentally, if anyone is having trouble with their Trackir I can probably help.

In the old thread, someone posted a website that has button mapping diagrams for several of the more common stick/hotas setups. It was fantastic, but I lost the link. Anyone?

Dipes
Oct 24, 2003
Also I've been slowly upgrading my Cobra - it's looking pretty hot now. Rocking 2 huge miniguns on gimbals on the medium hardpoints, and I've got 2 gimballed Flak Cannons underneath. Works out pretty well. I can make a strafing run and then pull up to show them my belly as we pass, and give them 6 loads of buckshot right to the dome.

I also like using the multi-cannons because I generally don't have to worry about overheating. I want to keep pips to engines and shields.

Finally, get a Chaff launcher. They are cheap and can really save your rear end by making gimbals and turrets lose their lock on you for a bit. I got owned by a player who was properly equipped with chaff and it made me reevaluate everything. Still sticking with gimballed weapons for now but I have my own chaff in response at least.

Ultraviper
Jul 26, 2007

I won the 100th Concurrent WOL Jabber Award and All I Got Was This Lousy Title!

slidebite posted:

So did I miss making your username/acct?

Seems to me when I first started it I was BACKER# 123456 or something. How do I check/change that?

To be clear, I haven't really played it other than a couple training missions at this point so I have yet to get into it.

If you start playing the actual game it asks you to put a name in. Also if you wipe your save and start over.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I'm thinking if you've played Ultima Online, you might good a good idea as to the sandbox aspect of it, as in, you're dropped into a world with no hand-holding and left to make your own way and decide what you will do.

I'm not expecting this game to be hugely MMO but I am definitely banking on the anticipation that I get to play with other Goons, kill pubbies with other Goons, pirate with other Goons, and whatever else with other Goons.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Remote User posted:

You doing a lot of clapping while you're playing, Frank? :raise:

I sarcastically applaud myself whenever I make a stupid mistake and die. So yeah, pretty much.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Your hands must really hurt by now.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
It seems like I'm late to the party and everyone is already up and running, but does/did anyone have any trouble with the launcher? It seems like a piece of poo poo, graphical glitches all over and the download gets stuck. Theres a few topics on the official forums complaining about this, but no response from Frontier that I can see.

So am I just hosed or what?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

KiddieGrinder posted:

It seems like I'm late to the party and everyone is already up and running, but does/did anyone have any trouble with the launcher? It seems like a piece of poo poo, graphical glitches all over and the download gets stuck. Theres a few topics on the official forums complaining about this, but no response from Frontier that I can see.

So am I just hosed or what?

I had no problems with the launcher or installing the game, but if other people are making topics on the official forums, you're not an isolated case.

Ultraviper
Jul 26, 2007

I won the 100th Concurrent WOL Jabber Award and All I Got Was This Lousy Title!
I was doing some exploring and ran out of gas so I had an excuse to actually use the fuel scoop I bought. I found that I could sit at a certain distance from the star that let me sit idle while my tank filled up and my heat wouldn't increase. So I sat there at 90% heat filling up when I got the popup that someone was interdicting me. It also said that since I was at zero throttle that I was surrendering to it automatically. It dropped me out of hypercruise and my heat instantly shot up to 200%. I wasn't equipped to fight back so I ran and started charging my frame shift drive. I got back into hypercruise, relieved that I escaped being shot to death. Then I saw my heat was now over 400% and I cooked to death in a few seconds. Moral of the story is don't try to idle while fuel scooping! :v:

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Ultraviper posted:

I was doing some exploring and ran out of gas so I had an excuse to actually use the fuel scoop I bought. I found that I could sit at a certain distance from the star that let me sit idle while my tank filled up and my heat wouldn't increase. So I sat there at 90% heat filling up when I got the popup that someone was interdicting me. It also said that since I was at zero throttle that I was surrendering to it automatically. It dropped me out of hypercruise and my heat instantly shot up to 200%. I wasn't equipped to fight back so I ran and started charging my frame shift drive. I got back into hypercruise, relieved that I escaped being shot to death. Then I saw my heat was now over 400% and I cooked to death in a few seconds. Moral of the story is don't try to idle while fuel scooping! :v:

Alternatively, carry a heatsink launcher. This is the wiser of two lessons.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Ultraviper posted:

Moral of the story is don't try to idle while fuel scooping! :v:

Honestly this has happened to me twice and I just Alt-F4. I don't feel bad about it because I know the NPCs don't have to worry about heat which is pretty bullshit.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
This game is pretty fun and I have no loving clue what I'm doing, I only hope it gets more entertaining as i figure it out.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

What's the easiest way to plot a route? I'm so far away from Jotunheim, stuck in Kremainn. When I do a search for Jotunheim, I can select that as my system but it won't let me warp to it because of the distance (it won't even let me turn on supercruise, the bastards). If I try to scope out a route by opening the galaxy map and actually going system by system until I've gotten close to Jotunheim, I notice that I lose the destination as soon as I need to lock a station to refuel.

I get the feeling I'm doing something incorrectly.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
the biggest thing for me is figuring out the controls, the default settings with a HOTAS X leave landing gear unbound. I feel like voice command is actually necessary, not just voluntary, considering the complexity of your ship's systems.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

I dropped out of hyperspace directly in front of a white dwarf to the sounds of "WARNING: HEAT LEVELS CRITICAL" and getting dropped out of supercruise. Is there anything that can be done about that, or did I get unlucky with how close it decided to drop me out of hyperspace?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

oversteps posted:

What's the easiest way to plot a route? I'm so far away from Jotunheim, stuck in Kremainn. When I do a search for Jotunheim, I can select that as my system but it won't let me warp to it because of the distance (it won't even let me turn on supercruise, the bastards). If I try to scope out a route by opening the galaxy map and actually going system by system until I've gotten close to Jotunheim, I notice that I lose the destination as soon as I need to lock a station to refuel.

The starmap can only plot courses out to about 85-100LY. If you want to go longer fly in the general direction Or just use this

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I dropped out of hyperspace directly in front of a white dwarf to the sounds of "WARNING: HEAT LEVELS CRITICAL" and getting dropped out of supercruise. Is there anything that can be done about that, or did I get unlucky with how close it decided to drop me out of hyperspace?

You always drop out really close to a star and you've only got a handful of seconds to veer away before you get too close and emergency stops you. You probably got the heat warning because you were overheated when you jump (are you jumping through multiple systems? I'm guessing you were near a star when charging your drive).

Ghost of Eazy E
Feb 4, 2013

WANTED: BREAD OR ALIVE

oversteps posted:

https://cmdr.club/ From the Op you didn't read.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Always throttle down as soon as the countdown begins. White dwarves and neutron stars in particular will cook you almost immediately if you come out of hyperspace and keep flying towards them. They're mildly annoying to deal with.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Just curious, is this game fun without a trackir?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

oversteps posted:

Scarily enough you are doing it right, you have to eyeball your way to within a certain distance to where you are going and all of a sudden you can plot a route straight to it, not sure on the distance and honestly this is me speaking so there's probably an easier way :D

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Yes.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

ethanol posted:

I don't have headtracking (I should fix this) and I'm enjoying the game plenty. I use a hat switch on my joystick for looking around (which I mostly do out of combat, though I'll often pan the camera up while in a tight turn trying to get a bead on my target.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

ethanol posted:

No you need a head tracking system that almost nobody has for this game to be fun. :downs:

Also what are you doing with a trackIR you poor, buy an Oculus Rift. :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Scooping up all the little bits of asteroid after mining gets tedious real fast. There isn't a tractor beam or something I can fit right?

• Locked thread