Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

I'm looking to get the parents a new carving knife for christmas and don't understand how to tell the quality. I looked at wusthofs as recommended in the OP but the prices range from 50-100 bucks.
http://www.cutleryandmore.com/wusthof-grand-prix-ii/hollow-edge-wunder-knife-p126507

Is this a good pick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Kylaer posted:

What should I put in my pressure cooker (7-quart Kuhn Rikon for size reference) if I want to make one or more small servings of something? Like, say I want to make rice and lentils separately. I was thinking two or three of those stainless-steel camping cups that are designed for cooking over an open fire like this would serve but I'm sure there must be something purpose-built. What would you all recommend?

At the dollar store they have cheap stainless steel single-serving bowls, what's what I've been using, stacked on top of each other

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

How do cook rice and lentils if you're doing both in a pressure cooker at the same time? Like, do you put in a few inches of water, then a bowl filled with rice & water to cook the rice, then on top of that bowl (or to the side, depending on the size of the bowls) you put another bowl with lentils & rice, then pressure cook for X time, then call it done?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3381440&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=29#post399579229

quote:

When I'm making my daal and beans, I like to also put a stainless steel bowl with rice (and enough water to cook it in), and float it on the beans. That way, I knock out two things at the same time, and have dinner done sooner. If my pressure cooker were a bit bigger, I'd be able to fit a second bowl atop the rice, and steam some veg of my choosing too.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3381440&pagenumber=30&perpage=40#post399585779

quote:

It's the method that my mother would use while cooking in India. Most kitchens in South India have two gas burners that are fairly small, meaning that you want to maximise your efficiency. So you'd put daal in the bottom, rice on top of that, a vegetable stewlike dish atop that, and then put the lid on the whole works. There are way too many soups to count that just involve dumping a bunch of veg into a pot, and letting them boil with a few seasoning items (herbs, ginger, bit of garlic, etc) and a bit of fresh grated coconut or coconut milk for creaminess.

I bet you could make stock in a trice. I know I use it to quickly break down tomatoes when I have to make rasam. Traditionally, rasam is made with whole tomatoes that are cooked in boiling water for ages. You cook them whole, because you want a specific flavour that comes from cooking them whole. In my pressure cooker, I add the split peas, the tarka, the whole tomatoes, the tamarind paste, salt, lots of black pepper, and some ginger and garlic, and let that sucker go for about 20 minutes. Perfect rasam every time.

Once, I was doing the beans and rice trick, and knocked out the steel cut oats in the second bowl, so that I could have it ready for the morning. Gorgeously done, and in a fraction of the time they'd ordinarily take. The next morning, I was able to have steel cut oats in a couple of minutes. That was awesome. I've done barley in the pressure cooker, to excellent results. I've done my daal, with the tarka, and some pretty boss root veggies, like parsnips, or taro, or yucca, and made very filling and hearty stews in that manner. If I want daal and aloo subzi, I'll make the daal, the rice, and then put that trivet thingie that came with the cooker atop the (covered with a plate) bowl of rice. I set the potatoes atop that, and let the whole mess go. I then have perfectly steamed potatoes for my subzi, which now takes minutes to cook rather than an hour.

Bear in mind that I only use brown rice at home, and even that only takes the 20 minutes that it takes to cook my beans.

The best part of this? I can make a different meal every night with NO leftovers, so that we don't get bored of the same thing, because by compartmentalising my pressure cooker, I can do tiny quantities without feeling guilty about using a large pot of that size.

That's why I'm saying you should get the largest one you can afford that's not army sized. 8 quart is quite a generous amount of space to stack your stainless steel bowls.

Don't buy the stainless steel bowls online. They're massively overpriced. Go to a dollar store, and snag them there. Even if they're slightly more than a dollar, they're much cheaper than buying them online. Also, don't go for the fancy, heavy ones. Go for the lightest, cheapest ones you can find, and get them in stainless steel. While you're there, snag a couple of stainless steel plates too. The crappier the better. This will allow you to cover your bottom bowl, and stack another atop it without spending a fortune on rigging up the whole shebang.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 9, 2014

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Sub Harrison posted:

I'm looking to get the parents a new carving knife for christmas and don't understand how to tell the quality. I looked at wusthofs as recommended in the OP but the prices range from 50-100 bucks.
http://www.cutleryandmore.com/wusthof-grand-prix-ii/hollow-edge-wunder-knife-p126507

Is this a good pick?

You should ask in The Kitchen Knife Thread.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Those were exactly the posts I was thinking of when I asked the question, haha. So I guess any basic stainless steel bowl will work, I'll pick up some and see which fit best.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I have an Aeropress which owns for single cup coffee but I'm curious if there is a good similar method for more than one or two cups at a time, preferably one that has minimal grounds/sediment in the final brew.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Gyshall posted:

I have an Aeropress which owns for single cup coffee but I'm curious if there is a good similar method for more than one or two cups at a time, preferably one that has minimal grounds/sediment in the final brew.

Like a French Press? They make those in small and large sizes, and I've had good experiences with those made by Bodum. Or is the vacuum /pressure part of what you are looking for?

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Looks like I may be getting this rice cooker for Christmas:

http://www.zojirushi.com/products/npgbc

Gonna eat so much brown rice next year.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Stainless steel tiffin boxes.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Asking for a friend, I have a mix of wooden and plastic boards I'm happy with, but for plastic cutting boards it doesn't really matter what you get, right?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

1redflag posted:

Like a French Press? They make those in small and large sizes, and I've had good experiences with those made by Bodum. Or is the vacuum /pressure part of what you are looking for?

Something that makes good rear end coffee with little to no grinds in the final product. Probably a french press.

Any recommendations for good Bread storage?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

guppy posted:

Asking for a friend, I have a mix of wooden and plastic boards I'm happy with, but for plastic cutting boards it doesn't really matter what you get, right?

I really like these. They won't warp in a commercial dishwasher, the rubber grips actually work, and my employees really like the ruler on the board for some reason.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Gyshall posted:

Something that makes good rear end coffee with little to no grinds in the final product. Probably a french press.

Any recommendations for good Bread storage?

Step up to pour-over brewing and get a Kalita Wave 185. Should be able to produce 2.3-5 cups each brew with it and have a tasty rear end cup of coffee with 0 sediment.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I really like these. They won't warp in a commercial dishwasher, the rubber grips actually work, and my employees really like the ruler on the board for some reason.

I have one of these, they work really well and are very tough.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Thank you, I will pass on the recommendation.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

guppy posted:

I like the ones restaurant supply stores sell. They're about 4 times as thick as the crap you buy in retail stores and are much less likely to warp in the dishwasher. You can also get them in any size and color, so you can do a red one for meat, green for vegetables, etc.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Hello goons, I'm looking for a counter top toaster oven with convection cooking and rotisserie. Any recommendations? thanks

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

r0ck0 posted:

Hello goons, I'm looking for a counter top toaster oven with convection cooking and rotisserie. Any recommendations? thanks

Breville Smart Oven priced around 249USD, sized for 6 slices of toast/13" pizza. Panasonic Flash Express at $149 sized for 4 slices, below that I've never researched. Neither of these have a specific rotisserie function I've seen advertised.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Any juicer suggestions for around $100-$150 range?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Any Breville juicer in that range should be good.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
I keep melting grooves into spatulas because it's hard adjusting from an electric stove to a really powerful gas stove, and I keep forgetting I shouldn't leave them resting on the side of pans.

Any recommendations on new plastic spatulas/spoons that aren't super floppy and might hold up to some heat when I forget again?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
You can't go wrong with Matfer Exoglass. Safe up to 400F, and they'll last forever.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Alternatively, I like using cheapo wooden spats and spoons

ionicism
Jun 18, 2005

Oh! You should kill her!

Comic posted:

I keep melting grooves into spatulas because it's hard adjusting from an electric stove to a really powerful gas stove, and I keep forgetting I shouldn't leave them resting on the side of pans.

Any recommendations on new plastic spatulas/spoons that aren't super floppy and might hold up to some heat when I forget again?

If you're looking for something a little more flexible (than Exoglass or wood) and still extremely heat-resistant, Get It Right makes great silicone spatulas: http://www.amazon.com/Get-It-Right-Ultimate-Spatula/dp/B00BJT61FE

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
So uhhh is this a pricing error?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RRKQKA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2MDRJWD4NCR2R&coliid=I35ZP9URI414QT&psc=1

edit: It disappeared as I went to checkout :(

Gorman Thomas fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 17, 2014

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Annnd it's gone.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Today's Amazon Gold Box deal is a whole bunch of KitchenAid stuff, including 6 quart Professional bowl-lift stand mixers, refurbished, for $179. If I hadn't just jumped on that Thanksgiving Newegg deal for $220, I'd be on this like a fly on poo poo.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

The Midniter posted:

Today's Amazon Gold Box deal is a whole bunch of KitchenAid stuff, including 6 quart Professional bowl-lift stand mixers, refurbished, for $179. If I hadn't just jumped on that Thanksgiving Newegg deal for $220, I'd be on this like a fly on poo poo.

Nice... now how do I send this over to my family to get this for me for Christmas...

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

anyone have any recommendations for kitchen shears? I keep breaking the ones I get on chicken backbones.

thinking about getting these
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rikish.html

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

GrAviTy84 posted:

anyone have any recommendations for kitchen shears? I keep breaking the ones I get on chicken backbones.

:argh:

I would love a recommendation too, since I keep doing the same loving thing with my shears. Stupid cheapass plastic.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Which ones have you guys been using

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Midniter posted:

:argh:

I would love a recommendation too, since I keep doing the same loving thing with my shears. Stupid cheapass plastic.

I've taken to spatchcocking with my boner. Whole lot easier than with shears.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

GrAviTy84 posted:

I have a pair and they are wonderfully sharp and well built, the rubber dome is a great touch.

Caveat for this recommendation: I haven't used them for poultry but they replaced a ~30 year old tres claveles that are of exactly the same form factor and have had zero issues with poultry.

The geometry is solid and they're much "tighter" than your normal shears: think cutting rawhide with shears, normally they'll split open and not actually cut, these don't do that easily.

For the record, these are the Tres Claveles that I replaced: http://www.aceros-de-hispania.com/3claveles-scissors/3claveles-scissors-400.asp?product=tres-claveles-400 Except 30 years older.

deimos fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 17, 2014

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I'd been using the normal lovely shears that come with any random knife set or whatever. Went through a couple of those, got sick of replacing them, then got these which shattered when I tried to spatchcock a turkey for the first time. Luckily I had a backup pair of lovely shears which somehow managed to get the job done. Haven't replaced them yet since I wasn't sure of the diminishing returns from spending more money on shears after those heavy duty ones snapped like a twig in a tornado, so I'd love some recommendations.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

The Midniter posted:

I'd been using the normal lovely shears that come with any random knife set or whatever. Went through a couple of those, got sick of replacing them, then got these which shattered when I tried to spatchcock a turkey for the first time. Luckily I had a backup pair of lovely shears which somehow managed to get the job done. Haven't replaced them yet since I wasn't sure of the diminishing returns from spending more money on shears after those heavy duty ones snapped like a twig in a tornado, so I'd love some recommendations.

yeah I used some shears that came with a Sabatier set, and some kitchen aid shears.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I've taken to spatchcocking with my boner. Whole lot easier than with shears.

I dunno, my boner slips too easily. At least with scissoring you get leverage from both sides.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

GrAviTy84 posted:

yeah I used some shears that came with a Sabatier set, and some kitchen aid shears.

The Midniter posted:

I'd been using the normal lovely shears that come with any random knife set or whatever.

I've been using these Henckels shears, broke down a dozen chickens with no problems, feels pretty solid
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...6KNR03QEZJ2AS96

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

GrAviTy84 posted:

They are touted as being nearly indestructible by some of the posters on CKTG including someone who has been working in pro kitchens for 28 years. Normally a good pair runs you $15-$20 without a case and such, $30 is pretty drat cheap if they end up being as good as some say they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

If they need to know anything about the code, it's from the "Thinking Moms' Revolution" Facebook page, which I haven't linked because it's a bunch of nutjob anti-vaccers. Cheap Vitamix though, so whatever.

• Locked thread