Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011
To get good arcs on a tablet, simply draw the same line 50 times.

But seriously a good tip for better arcs with a tablet (in Photoshop, at least) is to get used to rotating the canvas by holding 'R'. Every time I have to draw a curved horizontal line I just rotate the canvas 90 degrees and draw a vertical one instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

raging bullwinkle posted:

To get good arcs on a tablet, simply draw the same line 50 times.

But seriously a good tip for better arcs with a tablet (in Photoshop, at least) is to get used to rotating the canvas by holding 'R'. Every time I have to draw a curved horizontal line I just rotate the canvas 90 degrees and draw a vertical one instead.

This is great advice and applies to traditional stuff too. If you struggle making good lines with a particular motion, just move the paper/canvas/whatever until it lines up with whatever motion you are comfortable with. No reason to learn 100 ways to draw a straight line when you only need one.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
They make different tips for your wacom stylus, like, flex ones that better mimic a brush or what have you so you can use the side of it.

Try un-screwing the stylus holder that came with your tablet.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Ferrule posted:

They make different tips for your wacom stylus, like, flex ones that better mimic a brush or what have you so you can use the side of it.

Try un-screwing the stylus holder that came with your tablet.

The flex nibs are great but they don't let you use the side of the nib really. The only one that ever did anything close was the 6D Artpen, which was only compatible with the Intuos 3 and the second generation of Cintiq 12/21. It bums me out a lot because I wish I could use that on my 3rd gen. :-( It's like a real felt marker and everything.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Speaking of nibs, I really like the hard felt ones except for the fact that using them on the weathered polished surface areas of my tablet darkens their tips and ruins why they're special. :(

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I need to print some business cards for my home-based business. I'm willing to pay more to get a nicely-designed and printed set of cards. Any recommended companies that you guys normally use?

melon cat fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Dec 19, 2014

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

melon cat posted:

I need to print some business cards for my home-based business. I'm willing to pay more to get a nicely-designed and printed set of cards. Any recommended companies that you guys normally use?

Last time, I used Moo, and the experience was good. Nice online editor, cards came out looking great and in a nice little box that you can use to organize other cards. Totally recommend.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

melon cat posted:

Mama's Sauce. But you will definitely pay more.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I don't know if I'm just not seeing it, but is there a jewelry-making thread in CC? I've been making resin pendants lately and would love to see some new design ideas, techniques, and other people's etsy shops.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Anyone know what the "paper collage technique" is when painting murals? It's from this article:

http://www.streetartnews.net/2014/12/jaz-creates-new-mural-in-rio-san-juan.html

I've been painting murals for the last couple of months, and aquiring some new techniques would be pretty neat (maybe someone knows a good book that features an overview).

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

My question might be too small-time even for this thread, but I wasn't sure where else to go. I was just working on a gif for a new avatar, and I was wondering - is there any way for me to have it play forwards, then in reverse in its loop that won;t increase the file size? I mean, I know that of course I could just use a reverse-gif program to make a reverse copy and stitch them together, but even just the normal version is barely under 98KB, and I was hoping that there would be some way to just command the thing to play in reverse every second time, since it's not like there's any actual new frames. I'd appreciate the help.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
What would be a good modeling substance that will stick well to a plastic armature?

I used to sculpt action figures and would like to get back into the hobby, but I used to use Hasbro Wax which I only had a source for because I had personal connections with someone in that business that I no longer have contact with. I assume there's an analog out there somewhere that might work as well, if anyone knows of one. The issue I have is that I used to use pre-molded plastic joints, which didn't work very well and often couldn't hold anything other than the wax. When I used the hard grey scupley (I forget the actual name for it) it wouldn't hold to the plastic at all after baking, so arms would slip off the joints from gravity alone. It just had no grip.

I'm also considering just throwing out the joints all-together and going straight to a pre-built body as an armature (such as the Hot Toys True Type bodies) and building straight off of one of those to save me a bit of work. So I'd need something that will stick to those well and won't need baking.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

BreakAtmo posted:

My question might be too small-time even for this thread, but I wasn't sure where else to go. I was just working on a gif for a new avatar, and I was wondering - is there any way for me to have it play forwards, then in reverse in its loop that won;t increase the file size? I mean, I know that of course I could just use a reverse-gif program to make a reverse copy and stitch them together, but even just the normal version is barely under 98KB, and I was hoping that there would be some way to just command the thing to play in reverse every second time, since it's not like there's any actual new frames. I'd appreciate the help.

Nope, AFAIK, the only two settings for GIF are to play once and loop forever. You have to have twice the frames for a "Ping-Pong" loop.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

neonnoodle posted:

Nope, AFAIK, the only two settings for GIF are to play once and loop forever. You have to have twice the frames for a "Ping-Pong" loop.

Oh, balls. Well, thank you very much for the help.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Adobe Premiere CS6 (Running on Windows 7) question.

I have a Project that I want to Export to these formats:

ProRes422, 1920x1080
ProRes422(HQ) 1920x1080
Anamorphic widescreen, or HD (1920x1080,1280x720)

But I can't find any of these in my Export options. Am I looking in the wrong place, or is my hardware incapable of exporting to these video formats?

Also, what are the best alternatives to Vimeo for hosting and playing corporate-branded video content?

Thanks for the business card suggestions, by the way! :)

melon cat fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 23, 2014

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Is there an SA thread or Internet hiding place concerning Wordpress themes for writers (text-heavy, image-light)?

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

midnightclimax posted:

Anyone know what the "paper collage technique" is when painting murals?

I don't think there's one specific technique. Nita Leland's written a bunch of books on paper art collage.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

Brawnfire posted:

I don't know if I'm just not seeing it, but is there a jewelry-making thread in CC? I've been making resin pendants lately and would love to see some new design ideas, techniques, and other people's etsy shops.

I don't see one. I wouldn't mind participating in one; I make stone jewelry and gave up on resin because it never cured correctly.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Would it be weird to post my eulogy for my best friend here?

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

queserasera posted:

I don't think there's one specific technique. Nita Leland's written a bunch of books on paper art collage.

Ty, added to the list of books I'm going to order next.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Hollismason posted:

Would it be weird to post my eulogy for my best friend here?

:catstare: very?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
I was thinking of doing a small, multi-panel piece with the canvasses in an L shape. Anyone have any suggestions on how to keep the canvasses together so I can keep everything lined up while I paint?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Zip ties connecting the stretchers perhaps?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

queserasera posted:

I don't see one. I wouldn't mind participating in one; I make stone jewelry and gave up on resin because it never cured correctly.

Have had similar troubles, but I think I have tamed the beast.

Perhaps I shall cobble together some pics and make an OP for a craft jewelry thread!

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I'm trying to design a logo for my portfolio. Does anybody have any resources or advice on creating an effective logo?

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Why is pasting into an alpha channel so hard to automate in Photoshop? When recording the automation I carefully click to select the alpha channel, paste, and it's fine. But when running the automation is creates a new layer instead.

edit: option-clicking the alpha channel works, but selecting it in the Channels tab does not for recording an action. Problem solved.

lord funk fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 27, 2014

Billy Shears
Jul 9, 2009

I cut Paul's hair.
I'm not sure if this exists, but if it does I am having a hell of a time finding it.

I'm setting up a room in my apartment as my personal drawing / studio space. I'm looking for some type of flat surface, at least a foot squared, that has a tripod mount attached to it. What I would like to do with this is attach it to my tripod and setup objects on top of the surface to draw from. I thought of just buying a tripod mount and attaching it to a board, but I'd rather just buy such a device than make it. I'd really appreciate it if someone could tell me if something like that exists and point me in the right direction.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I have a little bad habit. I used to write short stories like televised productions in high school, and now it's starting to bite me. How should I go about making sure my brain stops translating prose into script formats?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I just got a Dremel. What are some good wood to use if I'm interested in doing detailed low-relief carvings?

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

Annointed posted:

I have a little bad habit. I used to write short stories like televised productions in high school, and now it's starting to bite me. How should I go about making sure my brain stops translating prose into script formats?

Practice. If you feel the need to do a character or setting dump, write it in another tab just to get it out of your system and then go back and delete it later. Having one big lump of description will make it easier to make more subtle descriptions of things--just the right amount when you take out the lump.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010

FaradayCage posted:

I want to make a Christmas gift for an important friend. For inside reasons, I've decided it should center around a quote from TDKR:

"A hero can be anyone. Even a man doing something as simple and reassuring as putting a coat around a young boy's shoulders to let him know that the world hadn't ended."

(You can stop cringing now).

I would like to present that quote in a nice medium so that it could be hung on a wall or whatever. The problem is that I have very limited artistic skill. I'm not completely hopeless, but I have painted very little in my life (if painting is the way to go for this).

If anyone has any suggestions for how I could do this and not royally gently caress it up, I'd appreciate it.

I am open to the idea of just presenting "A hero can be anyone..." and then continuing the quote as a personal note on the back or whatever.

Thank you all who gave advice, even if I didn't follow it. Indecision led to procrastination and flying by the seat of my pants. I offer the results for anyone seeking closure.

I decided on using the TDK logo (because it's cleaner/simpler/better than TDKR) as the centerpiece with the opening of the quote on the front. A piece of wood came to me by chance, so that was the base. I used acrylic paint in about 5 shades to do the flare effects around the logo. (I considered doing blending, but thought that would be too advanced and risky). I felt that no matter what, Helvetica would be very hard to do properly - so I opted for stickers. I used thread and measuring to line up their placing - turns out its a bear even if you do that. If I had to do it all over again, I would do it as a man with less shaky hands.

I had it casually placed when she showed up and the reaction fortunately was "Holy gently caress, where did you get that?"

After numerous hints, she turned it over.

I added a period to the end of the quote after I took the picture. Not sure why I felt it wasn't needed initially or why I felt it was needed later...

Either way, the back is meant to be more like a permanent Christmas Card than a part of the art.

Overall not great, not terrible, but pleased with the results. Inspired to try more things in the future. Which is good because I have another birthday coming up in 12 days...

Ztarlit_Sky
Mar 4, 2014
Nap Ghost
Would someone be able to point me to some introductory books on cinematography? Specifically, the more theoretical side I suppose.
To wit, I got interested when I randomly watched a small segment on Youtube on the subject of gaze, and which perspective a scene in one movie it put the viewer into, including its framing as well.

I've looked into the resources thread but didn't really find something that matched. I have not yet read through the cinematography threads, should I expect to find results there, just point me to it.

I have no background in this whatsoever and have no real means of telling which books are worthwhile, so I'd be grateful for some help.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

Ztarlit_Sky posted:

Would someone be able to point me to some introductory books on cinematography? Specifically, the more theoretical side I suppose.

Some Amazon results: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=cinematography

If you live near a large college or university, it might be worth going to the campus bookstore and checking their film dept class books. When I wanted a good intro books on computer languages, that's the first place I went.

Ztarlit_Sky
Mar 4, 2014
Nap Ghost

queserasera posted:

Some Amazon results: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=cinematography

If you live near a large college or university, it might be worth going to the campus bookstore and checking their film dept class books. When I wanted a good intro books on computer languages, that's the first place I went.

I've taken a look at Amazon, but the question is more which of these books are good, accessible for a beginner and on the topics I mentioned, that's the part I don't know and can't evaluate. I'll keep the second paragraph in mind, it sounds like a good idea.
Thanks.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

Ztarlit_Sky posted:

I've taken a look at Amazon, but the question is more which of these books are good, accessible for a beginner and on the topics I mentioned, that's the part I don't know and can't evaluate.

Oy. I'm a bad librarian for not mentioning libraries! The ultimate try-before-you-buy place.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

What's a really good paper/board for multimedia? Something I can get pretty wet without it warping but is still good for pencil and ink. The less grain the better.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

NESguerilla posted:

What's a really good paper/board for multimedia? Something I can get pretty wet without it warping but is still good for pencil and ink. The less grain the better.
Smooth/plate-finish Bristol board. If you get the Strathmore, get the kind with the brown cover, not the yellow.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I haven't used bristol board in years but doesn't it kind of tend to get puffy and really fragile when it's wet? I could be wrong about that. I basically am using pencil and felt tip pens but I want to slop india ink (sometimes very watered down) on parts of it.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
That is a function of the sizing which is largely predictable by price. Some does get gross so don't buy a ton until you've tested it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
You can get bristol in heavier weights; I think low-weight illustration board is essentially heavy bristol. But there are tricks to counter warping: the one I learned is to paint or score an X from corner-to-corner on the opposite side. But I've once long ago used ink washes and bristol and don't recall much issue.