Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

THE PENETRATOR posted:

the hots community flips out at people glitching and exploiting in an alpha/beta and putting videos of it on blizzard's forum so that they know the issues in the game they are developing

Look man, pre open beta is when you make a name for yourself as a top player and community celebrity and authority, and you need to use every trick you can to get there. Can't go having people reporting those tricks for fixing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Ekster posted:

How is the HotS community? I really enjoyed Dota 2 on a strictly gameplay level but I've never seen a community that toxic in a multiplayer videogame before, and I have fairly thick skin. None of my friends play MOBAs otherwise I would just play with them. I played it for quite a while until I started noticing I got increasingly irritated over a dumb videogame I play for my supposed enjoyment.

It's pretty tame by MOBA standards, although there are increasing numbers of assholes as the game allows more people in. There's no chat with the enemy team so that cuts down on a decent amount of rage. I'd say maybe 1/4 or so games someone makes some bitchy comments, and 1/10 or so games there'll be someone who throws a real fit. The main source of rage is that there's a lot more back and forth in HOTS, since there are objectives and merc camps to capture rather than just standing in lane for 20 minutes trying to get kills, and some people get super ragey when their team loses a single objective.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
what is heart of the swarm called now that hots is a thing

or have people given up talking about sc2 for good now

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
There are like 3 hots since blizzard is run by shitlers

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Third World Reggin posted:

There are like 3 hots since blizzard is run by shitlers

ironic because hot is the opposite of how i would describe people who play blizzard games :xd:

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
We need a new Dune game.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

make it pc so we can have the qwerty haderach

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

James Woods Fan posted:

We need a new Dune game.

dune souls

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

It'd have to be a character action game because of the speed of your moves. Have a bitchin' melee system with time slowing to a crawl.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

James Woods Fan posted:

It'd have to be a character action game because of the speed of your moves. Have a bitchin' melee system with time slowing to a crawl.

Bonus points for being arrhythmic.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'd only play a Dune game if it was made by David Lynch

Mainly because of the nerd rage.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.
1v1 sandworm jousting arena [THUMPERS ONLY]

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ekster posted:

How is the HotS community? I really enjoyed Dota 2 on a strictly gameplay level but I've never seen a community that toxic in a multiplayer videogame before, and I have fairly thick skin. None of my friends play MOBAs otherwise I would just play with them. I played it for quite a while until I started noticing I got increasingly irritated over a dumb videogame I play for my supposed enjoyment.

It's a MOBA, which means by default it's going to attract the absolute dregs of the internet. Retards are inevitable.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
If spergs are stressing you out, just mute them and keep playing. There's no rule against playing bad or buying bad items so go for it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Buck Turgidson posted:

If spergs are stressing you out, just mute them and keep playing. There's no rule against playing bad or buying bad items so go for it.

Muting the enemy team by default was a godsend for League, no doubt about that. My problem with MOBAs (and one that HotS probably doesn't do anything to resolve, now I think on it) is the knowledge that my fuckups very likely ruined the next 20+ minutes for four other people, even if those four people are likely to be Chucklefuck Supremes

Irritating as gently caress that my anxiety issues love to manifest themselves when I'm trying to have fun being bad at playing video games, but there you loving go I suppose :saddowns:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Dec 17, 2014

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Was there a game development thread at some point, other than the industry thread? Can't find it.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Thanks for the replies on HotS goons, guess I'll just try it out once I have the time.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Was there a game development thread at some point, other than the industry thread? Can't find it.
Making Games Megathread in Games

Game Development Megathread in Cavern of Cobol

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Ekster posted:

Thanks for the replies on HotS goons, guess I'll just try it out once I have the time.

Once you get invited eventually, anyway, unless they're handing out keys somewhere :(

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Sweet, thank you

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Something you have to acknowledge once you play any MOBA is that they are all universally terrible games for terrible people who couldn't handle the challenge of controlling more than one unit at a time or planning for their future (also the reason why most Dota players are unemployed). You might think you have the fortitude to stand above the fray, but the corruption is absolute. You will gradually become an idiot yourself, at a rate too subtle to notice outright, but the day will come where you are indistinguishable from the rest. The only winning move, is not to play.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
mobas are a genre ive never touched, but like i said i try to give all games a fair try

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

VideoGames posted:

mobas are a genre ive never touched, but like i said i try to give all games a fair try

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f-jR3Vo3Rw

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

HotS is all right I suppose, it at least acknowledges that the only fun part about MOBAs is PvP and the games are over quick. Not really something I could ever get into.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Tak Fujii stopped working at Konami. His legacy will live on forever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6OCnvvkSLM

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
thesis: if lotus juice had done the music for smt nocturne it would be the perfect game

evidence: smt nocturne is pretty close to perfect

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I have a bias against MOBAs because instead of a new Legacy of Kain, we got a MOBA.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Red Suit posted:

I have a bias against MOBAs because instead of a new Legacy of Kain, we got a MOBA.
Would you play a Legacy of Kain game without Tony Jay?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Red Suit posted:

the new lok game is good and also not a moba so uhhhh

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

hubris.height posted:

thesis: if lotus juice had done the music for smt nocturne it would be the perfect game

Only if you removed Dante or at least made him fit the world in any way.

Ciaphas posted:

My problem with MOBAs (and one that HotS probably doesn't do anything to resolve, now I think on it) is the knowledge that my fuckups very likely ruined the next 20+ minutes for four other people, even if those four people are likely to be Chucklefuck Supremes

This reminds me that I would really like L4D3 at some point. I'm assuming trying to play versus in 2 is just a waste of time at this point.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 17, 2014

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Stelas posted:

Only if you removed Dante or at least made him fit the world in any way.

well

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

welp the world's ended and everything is miserable as demons eke out their existence, guess it would be in tone to run down this building vertically and swagger and strut in front of this kid and immediately kill myself because his team can easily bounce every source of damage I do

I'm so cool

watch me pull the most bullshit minigame gimmick you've ever seen

I'd be okay with Shin Megami Tensei 4 Arena if it had Demifiend and Raidou and Serph

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
AtluSmash would be the best thing

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

hubris.height posted:

AtluSmash would be the best thing
No items, Steven only, stairwell between dungeon floors.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
stephen is for try hards and has no ups thats why they always want to play him on levels with no platforms

jack frost or bust

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

I've been going back to Cloudbuilt and drat is it hard, but beating a stage just feels so good. If you haven't seen it yet, it's this really fast 3D platformer, pretty much made for mouse and keyboard (yes, it's weird as hell but it works out real good). You have a jetpack that lets you airdash and run up walls, the challenge comes from maintaining your momentum while not using too much fuel, which recovers whenever you're on firm ground, as well as from pickups that are typically on walls you're running along. It kind of works like a 3D version of Dustforce.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO0Pk1fy3Xo

Did I mention it's incredibly pretty? :allears:

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Someone convince me not to be excited for GTA V coming out for the PC please.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
edit: ^^^^ Well it has some of the worst/most boring missions in any GTA to date so there's that. Also has some of the best though and can't deny how awesome just flying around looking at poo poo is tho

Is the Xbox One still bad and selling like poo poo because to me that is still pretty funny that Microsoft could fail so hard when all they had to do was say "IT'S A NEW XBOX JUST BUY IT ASSHOLES" and it would have probably worked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Eye of Widesauron posted:

Someone convince me not to be excited for GTA V coming out for the PC please.

Saint's Row exists.

• Locked thread