Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm gonna save Build Fighters Try, by stuffing Yuuma into a locker for the rest of the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

That's what's so frustrating about it! There's absolutely no reason why somebody being traumatized by losing in a gunpla battle and being made fun of it after the fact should not be a ridiculous running joke, but they've played it 100% super seriously and it's dumb as hell!

poo poo, Sazaki's entire schtick in the first series was getting blown up and mocked about it after the fact, and he was total comic relief and was one of the most popular side characters in the show.

I feel like the show is almost kind of afraid to make the main characters look too ridiculous which like... why? Anime Ja Nai this episode was rad because it was endearing and silly. Sei and Reiji were goofy as hell. Sei got hypnotized into repeating Gundam lines and dorked out over random Gundam things. Reiji was a lazy slovenly dumbass. It just made them more endearing that they were kind of giant goofuses in their own way.

On a related note, like... can we actually see Fumina and Yuuma be friends? At all? They have this deep important promise and are childhood friends but they don't talk or interact and Fumina seems to get along with Sekai infinitely better than Yuuma who is like a weird third wheel hanger-on. A man who refuses to join along in Anime Ja Nai singalongs is no friend to anyone.

Srice posted:

I'm gonna save Build Fighters Try, by stuffing Yuuma into a locker for the rest of the show.

Yuuma is like the most locker-stuffable guy to ever exist.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Caros posted:

Haven't seen it mentioned, but I suspect the white mobile suit was supposed to be a Dozel Zabi style custom in Shin Matsunaga colors. This fits in pretty well with the fact that they are Team White Wolf.

His name was Matsunaga, couldn't have been more blatant unless he just appeared Ral/Sleggar style

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dj Meow Mix posted:

His name was Matsunaga, couldn't have been more blatant unless he just appeared Ral/Sleggar style

I wish one of his co-pilots had been Johnny Ridden.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kanos posted:

That's what's so frustrating about it! There's absolutely no reason why somebody being traumatized by losing in a gunpla battle and being made fun of it after the fact should not be a ridiculous running joke, but they've played it 100% super seriously and it's dumb as hell!

poo poo, Sazaki's entire schtick in the first series was getting blown up and mocked about it after the fact, and he was total comic relief and was one of the most popular side characters in the show.

Not to mention, every time it happend he just came back with a better Custom Gyan. Even with the whole thing of Aila's arc and the Flana Institute rightly lost all seriousness when she just said "gently caress it, it's just a bunch of toys :shrug:".

ImpAtom posted:

On a related note, like... can we actually see Fumina and Yuuma be friends? At all? They have this deep important promise and are childhood friends but they don't talk or interact and Fumina seems to get along with Sekai infinitely better than Yuuma who is like a weird third wheel hanger-on. A man who refuses to join along in Anime Ja Nai singalongs is no friend to anyone.

I loved that scene, but it really felt like Sekai and Yuuma should've been swapped, considering Sekai's supposedly never seen anything of Gundam prior to the series. Give him a chance to do something fun while Sekai's asking about the Institute because he'd really have no clue about the place.

John Carstairs
Nov 18, 2007
Space Detective
Maybe Fumina's forcing him to watch between episodes. :v:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

John Carstairs posted:

Maybe Fumina's forcing him to watch between episodes. :v:

Oh I know, something like three or four months have passed since the series started so there's plenty of time for that to happen, just saying it'd be a better fit for two characters that have supposedly grown up on Gundam than one who we've seen do pretty much nothing on-screen Gundam/Gunpla-wise aside from the one SD kit.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh I know, something like three or four months have passed since the series started so there's plenty of time for that to happen, just saying it'd be a better fit for two characters that have supposedly grown up on Gundam than one who we've seen do pretty much nothing on-screen Gundam/Gunpla-wise aside from the one SD kit.

You guys are talking all that mean poo poo, just wait until the end of episode 22: a recreation of the pottery scene from Ghost but with gunpla the night before the grand finals

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be fair you don't need to see much Gundam to get Anime Ja Nai stuck in your head.

It's stuck in my head right now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair you don't need to see much Gundam to get Anime Ja Nai stuck in your head.

It's stuck in my head right now.

Hell, I've never seen ZZ and that loving song's stuck in my head now. I made the mistake of looking it up.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Saga's gunpla is incredible and I'm glad to see him chump the team and show that Sekai's dumb jigen haoh stuff isn't cutting it any more. Hopefully he actually becomes interesting rather than jigen haoh-ing harder. I'm also hoping that this whole Yuuma thing will end up being a season long buildup to one punchline, but I know it won't be.

Episode was pretty rad apart from Sekai, though. Nils taking Caroline's name is amusing, Ral is still super serious and goofy at the same time, and I lost it at the meijin descending from the heavens and restoring the land. That's the kind of cheesy poo poo this show needs more of. Also it looks like we're going to have Renato triplets, so maybe that will be a good episode. But Try, you have to work harder to make me want to see your characters rather than just the original BF cast that actually have personalities.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

chumbler posted:

Episode was pretty rad apart from Sekai, though. Nils taking Caroline's name is amusing, Ral is still super serious and goofy at the same time, and I lost it at the meijin descending from the heavens and restoring the land. That's the kind of cheesy poo poo this show needs more of. Also it looks like we're going to have Renato triplets, so maybe that will be a good episode. But Try, you have to work harder to make me want to see your characters rather than just the original BF cast that actually have personalities.

That's why the structure of this show's tournament is dumb/badly thought out, too. We had just hit the point where some of the regionals opponents were becoming endearing but due to the tournament format they're all eliminated and we'll never see them again besides maybe them showing up in the audience to cheer for Try Fighters, which means now we have to redo the entire process of trying to infuse an ounce of personality into a lineup of rivals from scratch.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Kanos posted:

That's why the structure of this show's tournament is dumb/badly thought out, too. We had just hit the point where some of the regionals opponents were becoming endearing but due to the tournament format they're all eliminated and we'll never see them again besides maybe them showing up in the audience to cheer for Try Fighters, which means now we have to redo the entire process of trying to infuse an ounce of personality into a lineup of rivals from scratch.

And while we saw some of their new rivals looming in the background this episode who knows if they're going to get any personality or if some of them will just be Science Team Mk II since that's basically the same introduction the latter had.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Red Warrior's face is giving me serious Optimus Prime vibes, just because of that modified faceplate.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Episode was okay.

Personally, I find goons whining about Yuuma's back story more annoying than Yuuma whining about his back story. Everyone saying "it's just a dumb game, get over it already," has apparently forgotten how easy it is for a kid that age to get really wrapped up in something they love and then utterly crushed when some rear end in a top hat stomps all over them and belittles their efforts for no reason other than to be a dick about it. "Getting over it," isn't just some switch you can flip in your head and be done with it; he's not going to get over it until he's grown a bit more and realized that he's taking it way too seriously.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

W.T. Fits posted:

Episode was okay.

Personally, I find goons whining about Yuuma's back story more annoying than Yuuma whining about his back story. Everyone saying "it's just a dumb game, get over it already," has apparently forgotten how easy it is for a kid that age to get really wrapped up in something they love and then utterly crushed when some rear end in a top hat stomps all over them and belittles their efforts for no reason other than to be a dick about it. "Getting over it," isn't just some switch you can flip in your head and be done with it; he's not going to get over it until he's grown a bit more and realized that he's taking it way too seriously.

The problem is is that we literally had a comic relief character last season whose entire gimmick was getting obliterated repeatedly and made fun of for it, so suddenly having a main character have a big angsty backstory about it happening to him once a couple years ago is a real weird tonal shift. It makes him come off as a huge unlikeable wet blanket as a character because all he ever does outside of his interactions with Mirai are brood about his tragic past of losing a single gunpla battle and rain on everyone else's parade whenever they're having fun(NO SINGING IN MY CAR RIDE).

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I dislike it because it's a silly sports anime cliche handled in a lame way. Sure, someone could have a complex over something like that in real life, but I've found the way they're handling it to be pretty uninteresting.

It doesn't help that Yuuma's a pretty lame character overall. He's a genius gunpla builder who is a close childhood friend towards Hoshino, but if it wasn't for the first few episodes saying that could you even tell? Dude's just a wet blanket for no good reason in a show about having fun.

e: The fact that Sekai and Hoshino were having a good time in the car while Yuuma stares out the window and looks sad is just the best example of why I feel he brings the show down.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

W.T. Fits posted:

Episode was okay.

We live in an era of online gaming. Play any FPS or MOBA and you'll get people you have never met before in your life insulting, belittling and demeaning you, deciding you must come from [insert stereotyped country/region for that particular game] and that's why you suck so much, insulting your ancestry, and then concluding that you should go kill yourself.

And those are just the people on your team.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I didn't like the Yuuma fight mostly because of the framing. It was a very dramatic chance at revenge and I feel like at no point did it feel like people having fun playing a game they like, it was kinda tortuous instead.

I think that's the folly of this show a lot of the time, ostensibly it's still a game, a very competitive one maybe, but I'd prefer if they'd focus on that aspect of it more than the tragic, like Yuuma's line about 2 years of all his hopes vanishing, paraphrased.

I'm not good at describing what I mean but hopefully somebody understood what I'm getting at.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Kanos posted:

The problem is is that we literally had a comic relief character last season whose entire gimmick was getting obliterated repeatedly and made fun of for it

I don't recall anyone ever making fun of Sazaki for losing repeatedly. Closest thing I can remember to that was Reiji and Sei commenting on Sazaki's fight against Fellini in episode 23, and even then it was more they were commenting on how childish Fellini was being than how much Sazaki sucked. Now that I think about it, he only even ever really lost to Fellini that once and Sei and Reiji twice (once in the first episode, once during the tournament qualifiers). Sazaki's gimmick was less "loses all the time and gets made fun of for it" than "loses to the main characters and hilariously overreacts when it happens."

Srice posted:

It doesn't help that Yuuma's a pretty lame character overall. He's a genius gunpla builder who is a close childhood friend towards Hoshino, but if it wasn't for the first few episodes saying that could you even tell? Dude's just a wet blanket for no good reason in a show about having fun.

Yeah, I won't argue that it wouldn't hurt for him to hurry up and get the stick out of his rear end so that he can actually start having fun with his friends.

Pureauthor posted:

We live in an era of online gaming. Play any FPS or MOBA and you'll get people you have never met before in your life insulting, belittling and demeaning you, deciding you must come from [insert stereotyped country/region for that particular game] and that's why you suck so much, insulting your ancestry, and then concluding that you should go kill yourself.

And those are just the people on your team.

Big difference here, though, is that Gunpla battle's not played online over the internet with a bunch of faceless voices you've never met before. There's actually another person standing there, talking poo poo to your face after he just wrecked the model you put weeks of hard work into and telling you to loving give up because you're a worthless scrub.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

W.T. Fits posted:

I don't recall anyone ever making fun of Sazaki for losing repeatedly. Closest thing I can remember to that was Reiji and Sei commenting on Sazaki's fight against Fellini in episode 23, and even then it was more they were commenting on how childish Fellini was being than how much Sazaki sucked. Now that I think about it, he only even ever really lost to Fellini that once and Sei and Reiji twice (once in the first episode, once during the tournament qualifiers). Sazaki's gimmick was less "loses all the time and gets made fun of for it" than "loses to the main characters and hilariously overreacts when it happens."

There's definitely an air of "no one takes Sazaki seriously". Before Fellini shows up to beat up on him he says something like "Don't misunderstand me, Iori, I'm only here to study you for next year's finals!" and Sei and Reiji kind of roll their eyes and go "Next year, really? Aren't you being a little bit too patient?" I mean he's a comic relief character so everyone's kind of supposed to take the piss out of him but that's what made him a fun character.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

Big difference here, though, is that Gunpla battle's not played online over the internet with a bunch of faceless voices you've never met before. There's actually another person standing there, talking poo poo to your face after he just wrecked the model you put weeks of hard work into and telling you to loving give up because you're a worthless scrub.

I will point out we've seen other characters doing this bother before and after. Like, The G-Master girl was being a shithead to Gyanko (and got slapped for it) but Gyanko didn't treat it like it was a soul-crushing defeat that destroyed her. Hell, she had to fake crying to try to get Sekai's sympathy and within an episode was already back in the game and helping him train.

And prior to the advent of the internet children played games together and got trash-talked by other kids (and Saga couldn't have been much older than Yuuma at that point based off their current ages.) I got my poo poo wrecked in Street Fighter by a guy in the arcade but did not form a long-lasting grudge over it.

Yuuma takes the thing way, way, way too seriously for something not played as a joke, especially compared to everyone around him. (and especially when his opponent pilots Cowboy Master 00 Gundam which is so exaggeratedly ridiculous I can't believe the staff isn't in on the joke.)

Like, that is the thing that needs to be stressed here. Yuuma is competing in a futuristic version of Skylanders where nothing of meaning or value is on the line. He isn't even fighting for his sick sibling like Shimon. Everyone else who loses is briefly frustrated and then gets right back on the horse. Yuuma is holding a 2-year grudge which gives him terror flashbacks and sends him into angry screaming rages. That is absurd in a way that would be utterly hilarious if the show didn't treat it seriously.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 17, 2014

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Kanos posted:

There's definitely an air of "no one takes Sazaki seriously". Before Fellini shows up to beat up on him he says something like "Don't misunderstand me, Iori, I'm only here to study you for next year's finals!" and Sei and Reiji kind of roll their eyes and go "Next year, really? Aren't you being a little bit too patient?" I mean he's a comic relief character so everyone's kind of supposed to take the piss out of him but that's what made him a fun character.

Didn't they say he made it to the quarter-finals of the nationals? It sounds like he got better offscreen, and Gyanko's unbreakable shields were made by him.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Didn't they say he made it to the quarter-finals of the nationals? It sounds like he got better offscreen, and Gyanko's unbreakable shields were made by him.

Yeah, people treated post-series Sazaki like he'd gotten significantly better. (Although he still got those unbreakable shields cut in two by proxy.)

I think you can assume the same of everyone else, except maybe Nils since he retired due to having too much of a hand in the background. Mao is probably Sakai's mentor or something. (Although we know he learned from the same guy as Mao so maybe not.)

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.
The bit with Sekai and Fumina singing 'Anime ja Nai!' was so adorable. :allears:

Hahaha Red Warrior Amazing descending from the heavens to the tune of the flamenco was just cheesy enough to make it acceptable.

Overall decent. Yuuma's grumpiness and "serious business" attitude, as mentioned, is kinda what brings it down, but oh well.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, people treated post-series Sazaki like he'd gotten significantly better. (Although he still got those unbreakable shields cut in two by proxy.)

I think you can assume the same of everyone else, except maybe Nils since he retired due to having too much of a hand in the background. Mao is probably Sakai's mentor or something. (Although we know he learned from the same guy as Mao so maybe not.)

You can tell that Mao isn't Skai's teacher because if Sakai's master was Mao Sakai wouldn't have won anything ever except a little tiny ribbon that reads "Always a bridesmaid".

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You can tell that Mao isn't Skai's teacher because if Sakai's master was Mao Sakai wouldn't have won anything ever except a little tiny ribbon that reads "Always a bridesmaid".

Hey, Mao is still a top builder. Just... crappier. Which fits with him being Yuuma's rival.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
I think I just had a religious experience. Tell me, do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Meijin, Yuuki Tatsuya?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

StrifeHira posted:

The bit with Sekai and Fumina singing 'Anime ja Nai!' was so adorable. :allears:

Hahaha Red Warrior Amazing descending from the heavens to the tune of the flamenco was just cheesy enough to make it acceptable.

These two bits made the episode. I can excuse a hell of a lot for a flamenco angel descending to bring the Word of the Meijin to the people taking the game so seriously

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

ActionZero posted:

I think I just had a religious experience. Tell me, do you have a moment to talk about our Lord and Meijin, Yuuki Tatsuya?

The Church of Tatsuya Yuuki of Latter Day Meijin.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

So...who do I have to shank in a dark alley to get a flamenco remix of "The Touch"?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Really he should have been in an Amazing Savior.

And I await photoshops of Jesus, the first meijin, wearing the glasses and giving gunpla to the poor and sick.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Holy poo poo, might be the first HGBF kit from Try I really want just to replicate that paint job

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
we're gonna get double the jigen haoh ryu when try fighters faces that dudes team since he recognized the style and i assume talks about his teammate

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
imagine the shot of two lines bumping into one another constantly shouting jigen haoh ryu

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lessail posted:

we're gonna get double the jigen haoh ryu when try fighters faces that dudes team since he recognized the style and i assume talks about his teammate

That was pretty much inevitable. I was expecting it with Sleggar since he also recognized the style.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I love whenever people are surprised someone has joined the battle. They're 6 feet from you. You can see them standing there. Everyone spectating can see this person walk up to the arena and place their Gunpla.

I'm hoping for a Destiny style turnaround where Yuuma and Sekai are bumped to the background and Tatsuya / Fumina take over.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

chumbler posted:

Really he should have been in an Amazing Savior.

And I await photoshops of Jesus, the first meijin, wearing the glasses and giving gunpla to the poor and sick.

An Amazing... G-Saviour? :getin:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

nuru posted:

I love whenever people are surprised someone has joined the battle. They're 6 feet from you. You can see them standing there. Everyone spectating can see this person walk up to the arena and place their Gunpla.

I'm hoping for a Destiny style turnaround where Yuuma and Sekai are bumped to the background and Tatsuya / Fumina take over.

It kinda-sorta made sense with Reiji since everyone was focused on the battle but I'm not sure how they missed Yuuma running up and throwing his Gunpla in, he was standing right next to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
I'm actually pretty sure you can't see or hear anything that happens outside of your cockpit, which explains how communications blackouts can work.

• Locked thread