Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

What's amusing is that Shrapnel's idea of a sale is knocking $10 off their $40 games 2 - 3 times a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Man, I got "multiple sales" of a lovely little game that I was totally going to use to go professional indie. I had no clue what the gently caress I was doing and the sales were to two of my friends, but dammit there was more than one of them!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
He means multiple sales per person complaining.

alarumklok
Jun 30, 2012

Sounds like a load of horse poo poo to me. 40 dollars is too much period, but then you're talking roguelikes, which is built on a bunch of open source monstrosities that cost no one anything and never will. You're competing with free. Who is going to pay 40 bucks?

Edit: Also that site looks like my geocities page I made in 4th grade.

alarumklok fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 17, 2014

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah and the drm has limited activations so you have to call them if you run out. I'm guessing $40 is not at all near the profit maximization point so it sounds like he screwed the pooch picking a publisher.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah and the drm has limited activations so you have to call them if you run out. I'm guessing $40 is not at all near the profit maximization point so it sounds like he screwed the pooch picking a publisher.

It's because of Shapnel's insane print-on-demand, physical-only-unless-someone-drags-them-kicking-and-screaming-into-the-early-2000s business model. Dominions 3 came out in 2006, didn't get a digital release until 2010 and never dropped below $45 (released at $60, the sequel released at $35 last year) until Illwinter finally kicked Crapnel to the curb and started using Steam and Desura in 2013. Shrapnel literally just sends a few hundred orders at a time to the printers as they come in.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Dec 17, 2014

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

That is an absolutely baffling decision on all levels :psyduck:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I just looked at Illwinter's website. I think it couldn't get much more barebones than that without looking like a text file.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

lordfrikk posted:

I just looked at Illwinter's website. I think it couldn't get much more barebones than that without looking like a text file.

Illwinter is just a history professor and his programmer buddy occasionally making games, building on an engine made in the 90s.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 17, 2014

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Happy Hedonist posted:

This bums me out because the demo is really neat. I really don't see myself spending $40 on it though. poo poo, I just paid $40 for CK2 and almost every piece of its DLC. They did the same thing with Bronze which is a neat tile based board game that no one played (because it's $40).

Jeez, I thought I could wait a couple years and the price on Bronze would go down. It looks fun. I'm not spending $40 on it. Shrapnel's a weird house.

Even more tangentially related, I can't think of a single dang reason why Oasis isn't on GOG or Steam or, apparently, anywhere*, for a nice low price.

edit: anywhere that isn't an iPad, that is.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Dec 17, 2014

ImpulseDrive
Jul 25, 2008
Approaching Infinity looks like it does have a download option on the purchase page. If the game is eligible, Shrapnel is doing a 10% off christmas sale until December 25 with a coupon code (ELF), but that's still $36, along with the DRM.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The entire concept of drm on a roguelike is completely hilarious to me

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The original Rogue was closed-source and proprietary.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The original Rogue was closed-source and proprietary.

That has nothing to do with DRM.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Something occurred to me: y'know how some old games would try to detect if you were breaking their DRM, and make the game ridiculously hard if you were? SimCity's constant disasters, or Bucky O'hare turning on one-hit kills, that kind of thing. A roguelike that detects that you're breaking the DRM should just make everything piss-easy instead.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Unormal posted:

Whatever is fine; though our existing backlog for CoQ is basically already infinite. Can't hurt, though!

Well, I just lost my most promising character so far -- level 7 and had visited both the Rust Wells and Red Rock without dying -- to the invalid save issue, so now seems like a good time to round up my notes. That problem is by far the worst bug of this version so far, btw; others are annoying or even potentially lethal but this just straight up ends a character and there doesn't seem to be any consistent way to trigger or avoid it, it just happens sometimes.

Outright bugs, apart from those I've reported earlier:
  • When wielding a ranged weapon and having both hands full, reloading produces the messages "You take the <ammo>. You drop the <ammo xN>. You reload your <weapon> with <ammo>" rather than just "you reload your weapon". At a guess this is some mechanic where having your hands full makes it slower to reload weapons, but the messages are confusing and spammy, especially since the ammo is not actually dropped.
  • Choosing 'Quit' from the main menu hangs the game; presumably this is another manifestation of the threading approach, causing the Qud thread to exit while the UI thread keeps running.

UI refinements:
  • Speaking of spammy messages, the message log is very nearly useless as it stands. It can display so little text that on any given turn most of the messages will get lost. Suggestions: make the messages more concise (I don't, for example, generally need to be told what I or my enemy is wielding on every attack, nor exactly what every attack roll was), and when using sidebar configurations that have a lot of dead space (like the one that just displays your HP and target info at the top), expand the log into the empty space. Yes, you can always view the full log, but doing that every turn gets tiresome very quickly.
  • There's a bunch of sidebar configurations and no reason at all not to display your skill cooldown icons on all of them rather than just one.
  • A "super-compact" sidebar that just displays cooldown icons and one-character HP indicators for me and my target (and maybe a ! if I'm under some adverse effect or something) in a single vertical column would be nice to have, while we're at it.
  • Carry load and carrying capacity should be displayed when using the detailed stats sidebar.
  • Derived stats (AV, DV, carry capacity, etc) should be visible from the character sheet, which has a lot of dead space. Even better: display how they would change if you spent a stat point, too.
  • On the equip screen, it would be nice to be able to directly replace items (i.e. select an item, see what you have in your inventory that can occupy that slot, and swap one item with the one you have equipped), rather than needing to remove an item, then pick a new one from the inventory as a separate step.
  • Modifiers on a weapon, like "counterweighted" or "sturdy", should stand out somehow; as it is it seems colour is used mostly for cosmetic purposes, so being made of crocodile skin gets something a flashy mottled green name but things with actual gameplay effects like being indestructable blend into the rest of the item name.
  • It would be nice to be able to annotate the world map with, e.g., the locations of wandering traders. I found one selling a floating lightglobe near the Rust Wells, albeit at a completely usurious price.
  • Picking things up and looting/storing chests could use a more streamlined UI. Picking things up requires you to select each item and then "get" (although at least you can just double-press enter/space for that). Putting things in a chest is the worst, requiring you to press + for "add item to chest" and then select one item for each item you want to store. Compare to nethack (and when nethack has a better UI that is possibly a sign that something is wrong) where you can select a whole swathe of items at once to drop, pick up, store, or loot.
  • On the Load Game screen, Space and Enter should be synonyms as they are throughout the rest of the game.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 18, 2014

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
I just wonder at the thought process on the AI situation more than anything. This is Shrapnel, a group that has not touched Roguelikes at all in a great many years since Scallywag: In The Lair of the Medusa---whose development house mysteriously and suddenly imploded with an uncanny force pretty much right after release, despite the game being functional if rather difficult, while Shrapnel just kept on chugging. Why this game, why now, how in the world did it even enter into their thought process/mind's eye...? I can't imagine the dev seeking them out personally as they are not exactly "known" beyond scrapes of the fringes and nor was their any indication on the crowdfunding front of a courtship...

If it was tied to having a physical edition with ample pomp to it, I'd have much rather/still rather see him try to throw in with Indiebox or some such.

He's planning to make all subsequent updates free with no paid Expansions or DLC and does appear to be manning the helm as it were on the little official subforum to cover bugs and feature requests but man alive he's got a slog ahead.

Maybe in time he can better square this like Illwinter has, and apparently the game was/is on Greenlight but just couldn't get traction during the KS despite that succeeding, but for the time being he seems pretty stuck with his only salvation being banging out absolutely amazing/detailed/potent updates to try and close the gap on game value for premium price. IIRC, AGK, which I think is his dev environ, is on the cusp of Linux support with their latest or forthcoming beta---so maybe some traction can happen on that front even if the game supposedly plays nice with Wine incidentally.

Naar
Aug 19, 2003

The Time of the Eye is now
Fun Shoe
I backed Approaching Infinity on Kickstarter, because I wanted the dude to make his game. I wouldn't pay $40, for it, though. I did get a code to get the boxed version for $25 too, but even that's a bit much.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

ExiledTinkerer posted:

If it was tied to having a physical edition with ample pomp to it, I'd have much rather/still rather see him try to throw in with Indiebox or some such.

Legerdemain (http://roguelikefiction.com/) did this right: the game's free, but if you want to support the developer, it was something like $25 for a physical copy and a novel-length manual in a plastic bag.

Not that AI should be free, just not a prohibitively high amount.

Indiebox? That's pretty neat. I miss physical copies of games. They should team up with GOG.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Yeah, I have the Canticle for Legerdemain on top of my clothes drawer, a Lifetime License for UnReal World from years ago prior to him shifting to the new funding model, etc.

Also...my God it appears it may have largely been that simple:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3qA23ZBGck

Dude is so genuinely stoked to have a boxed game that he made after all these years of making games---I don't know if he'd somehow never heard of Indiebox or tried but they just couldn't come to terms or were not interested, but man, that's a cringer juxtaposed with all the defense he's having to go on with all the rest that comes with the Shrapnel way of doing things.

poo poo, this COULD have been a perfect moment in time for Shrapnel to experiment with doing things differently/better and really publicly throw their weight behind helping an indie dev's dream come true---instead they've all but put a damned Sword of Damocles over his head with business as usual for them.

Agreed on Indiebox needing to make friends with GoG---they may only have a few titles under their belts thus far in varying quality of physical goodies, but drat it all this kind of outfit/service is long overdue!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

That video makes me sad for some reason :(

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

victrix posted:

It does a pretty good job of condensing the howling wind of existential ennui into a 5 minute clip.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Approaching Infinity kind of intrigues me but there's no way in hell I'm paying upwards of 30 bucks for it, ever.

e: I just checked and it's actually 39 bucks :lol:

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

Unormal posted:

It does a pretty good job of condensing the howling wind of existential ennui into a 5 minute clip.

I feel like the man got rooked by the publisher, who the hell cares if you have a DVD and case when you're going to make all your money on Steam :(

I would really like to sell a Dungeonmans Actual Treasure Chest edition, but surprise they're really Mimics. Roguelikes!

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

madjackmcmad posted:

I feel like the man got rooked by the publisher, who the hell cares if you have a DVD and case when you're going to make all your money on Steam :(

I would really like to sell a Dungeonmans Actual Treasure Chest edition, but surprise they're really Mimics. Roguelikes!

If you do add Mimics to the game they should definitely be called Chestmans. Oh, also, is the fix for all the upgrade hammers costing Tinsteel in? Because I am totally out of tinsteel and it's a pain.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

madjackmcmad posted:

Your game is really good. Not really related to what you were saying at all but you should be pretty proud.

E: Except the mage on top of the tower literally one shotted my tanky dude. So it's actually a poo poo game you shouldn't be proud of at all.

E2: I can't stay mad at you, it's a good game.

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.

palecur posted:

If you do add Mimics to the game they should definitely be called Chestmans. Oh, also, is the fix for all the upgrade hammers costing Tinsteel in? Because I am totally out of tinsteel and it's a pain.
I am trying to find a way to cleverly do that without shitcanning someone's entire Academy. It's one of the few things that is difficult to transfer from early Early Access to now.

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Your game is really good. Not really related to what you were saying at all but you should be pretty proud.

E: Except the mage on top of the tower literally one shotted my tanky dude. So it's actually a poo poo game you shouldn't be proud of at all.

E2: I can't stay mad at you, it's a good game.
Thanks!

Oh :(

Hooray!

What one-shotted you, was it the heat ray?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

victrix posted:

It has a super cute baby in it though :3:

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

madjackmcmad posted:

I am trying to find a way to cleverly do that without shitcanning someone's entire Academy. It's one of the few things that is difficult to transfer from early Early Access to now.

Thanks!

Oh :(

Hooray!

What one-shotted you, was it the heat ray?

Yeah! How'd you know?

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Yeah! How'd you know?

It was a guess, you said Tanky which meant lots of armor and probably no real elemental resists. One shotting might be a bit much, buuuut he was a Warlord and all. Do you remember the hero's name?

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

madjackmcmad posted:

It was a guess, you said Tanky which meant lots of armor and probably no real elemental resists. One shotting might be a bit much, buuuut he was a Warlord and all. Do you remember the hero's name?

No sorry. All of his stats were equal though, so he would have had 30 foom(ish). He had some resist. I'm honestly not sure what happened. It's ok, I've had a lot of characters now and that's the only 1-shot I've had, even with more squishy ones.

And it was a warlord and all.

ImpulseDrive
Jul 25, 2008

Man...Most games these days, I don't even care about having a boxed copy. I prefer not to, usually. After watching the official video linked on the game's page, it doesn't look nearly as good in play as Dungeonmans did last summer, which is what convinced me to pick that up back then. If the game really is as massive as its store page says it is, the video does absolutely nothing to show that, and he took down any gameplay videos he apparently had on his personal site. I was also expecting some kind of large sandboxy galaxy map like Galactic Civilizations or hopefully Distant Worlds where everything was in one massive overworld, but it's actually these small two-thirds sized chunks of screen connected by transition points. The sector transition screen also doesn't seem to indicate that there aren't that many explorable sectors to access in any given run. There seem to be only a few planets per sector, and they're all one screen zones with exploration limited by how much oxygen your away team has even on terran style planets. For a game that references things like Star Trek, and I can probably count on one hand the number of times an away team has to worry about that. On top of that, the sprite art was so tiny, it was hard to care about what anything was. and could have probably been just kept as ASCII just to go for the old ascii trek nostalgia.

With the ship and crew management along with space battles and planet exploration, I really want to like his game, but the price is too much for what that video shows. The whole thing is just so terrible at showing what's good about it.

EDIT: For the video I'm talking about...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4B2iqWD2kw

ImpulseDrive fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Dec 19, 2014

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ok, I think I'm done with Caves of Qud until the corrupt save bug is fixed, I can pretty reliably make it through Red Rock now but that just means my character's save file gets the axe at some later date.

Unormal, I have a few more broken saves I can upload if the two I already sent you aren't enough to track down the issue.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

ToxicFrog posted:

Ok, I think I'm done with Caves of Qud until the corrupt save bug is fixed, I can pretty reliably make it through Red Rock now but that just means my character's save file gets the axe at some later date.

Unormal, I have a few more broken saves I can upload if the two I already sent you aren't enough to track down the issue.

Yeah, I'll take any saves you got! I super appreciate the testing.

I'll be fixing the save issue and the rest of the gross-anatomy stuff this weekend. I was puking my guts out for the last couple days, but getting back on track today!

Controller support + holiday content is just about done:

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I figured this is the best place to ask, i'm playing Hero Siege and none of my purchased talents/skills show up on my hotbar, just lock icons.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Does anyone have some good starting tips for Qud? I usually have a quick read of early game spoilers each time I start a new roguelike, but I cannot find a good source for this, and don't want to read the entire wiki.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Depending on your class (and what the merchant in the bottom-right corner of Joppa has in stock), you can usually get a level-up or two before you leave the starting town by bringing artifacts to Argyve in the bottom-left corner. If you start with a grenade equipped, you'll have to unequip it before you can turn it in for the quest. Also, three of the houses have chests in them. All you have to do is close the doors and nobody will see you looting all their stuff. After that, you probably want to do Argyve's second quest to get copper wire. You can usually find all of the wire you need without actually going underground if you check all three of the rustwells on the map. Bring that back and you'll hit level 3 or 4. One of the watervine farmers in Joppa will give you a quest to head to Red Rock, and that's just what you should do next. There's even a secret passageway somewhere in town that connects to Red Rock, but I don't think it's faster than walking over the normal way.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
Man, Crypt of the Necrodancer is a lot of fun. Never would have expected that a rhythm roguelike would work well, but it's neat to play a game that's all about timing and careful decision making that forces you to think quickly on your feet.

Also enjoying Dungeonmans quite a bit.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Fat Samurai posted:

Does anyone have some good starting tips for Qud? I usually have a quick read of early game spoilers each time I start a new roguelike, but I cannot find a good source for this, and don't want to read the entire wiki.

In addition to what's been said, I recommend turning on the "autoget primitive ammo" option and getting your hands on a short bow. You can use it to safely plink at qudzu and jilted lover vines until they die for an easy bit of XP and an easier trip through the map. Also remember to carry a few bandages as Young Ivory plants are nasty in the early game, and remember you can ctrl+direction to chop them down once you find them for more free experience. Makes it a bit easier to gain those critical first few levels.

e: Your character build is a humongous deciding factor in how most of the game plays, honestly. If you just want to get a feel for some stuff, especially the early game, make a mutated human with 24 strength, 14 agility, and 24 toughness and then pick Marauder as your class, taking whatever physical mutations sound fun (I strongly recommend regeneration, night vision, and ideally multiple legs; that leaves you enough for fur or the chimera morphotype, or you can take a drawback to buy another neat mutation). The Angry Axe Ogre is really really good at steamrolling the early game, but not quite so good that it's never challenging, so it's a great way to familiarize yourself with some of the enemies and common hazards.

If you want to try something completely different, make an esper morphotype with 24 ego, 18 willpower/toughness/intelligence, Light Manipulation, and whatever other mental mutations seem interesting (I REALLY recommend Temporal Fugue because turning scary fights into a clusterfuck of laser-emitting time clones is hilarious and ridiculously strong), and then choose Water Merchant. Light Manipulation, if used carefully, will let you take out most threats, and your insane Ego means you can just buy new mental mutations with all your MP and still have all of your mutations at a grotesquely high level of power. Plus, you can basically just pout at merchants and they'll sigh and agree to trade you ludicrously expensive poo poo for a bunch of iron daggers. You can do some pretty funny poo poo with the mutations you accumulate over time, but never take both Temporal Fugue and ANY POWER THAT HITS AN AREA, including Time Dilation, unless you feel like dying (or, in the case of Time Dilation, turning your almost brokenly good time clones power into a useless everybody-on-the-map-take-a-pointless-rest-break power).

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Dec 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

No AOEs is kind of a deal breaker for temporal fugue as far as I'm concerned. Disintegrate and cryokinesis are so drat good.