Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest the thing that always confused me the most was "how the gently caress are the Weasleys so poor?"

I mean the answer honestly appears to be that they're insanely lovely with money. "We won the Wizard lottery? Time to blow all that money on a vacation!"

You can hardly blame them, the currency is insane. Making change sounds nightmarish when it's 29 Knuts to a Sickle and 17 Sickles to a Galleon. I am neither a mathematician nor an economist, but I'm pretty sure neither of those values should be prime numbers. Heaven forbid you want to split a Galleon with someone. Maybe this is what all those Arithmancy classes were for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Don't even try thinking about wizard economics, the prices would be completely hosed. Anything that can be transfigured would be ludicrously cheap, because someone could just sit around turning bricks into pewter cauldrons all day. The only valuable goods would be food and magical items.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Chamale posted:

Don't even try thinking about wizard economics, the prices would be completely hosed. Anything that can be transfigured would be ludicrously cheap, because someone could just sit around turning bricks into pewter cauldrons all day. The only valuable goods would be food and magical items.

Is it impossible to transfigure things into gold? This is never discussed, and yet apparently one of the great things about the Philosophers' Stone is it turns things into gold. Are valuable things harder to transfigure other things into, perhaps?

Do you have to know every quality of an item in order to create it through transfiguration? If it were, it's obvious why something like a bookstore would exist, since you would have to know the entire contents of a book to create it, or why broomsticks are valuable (presumably it's the enchantment part, not the broom part, that makes a broomstick worthwhile).

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

PT6A posted:

Is it impossible to transfigure things into gold? This is never discussed, and yet apparently one of the great things about the Philosophers' Stone is it turns things into gold. Are valuable things harder to transfigure other things into, perhaps?

Do you have to know every quality of an item in order to create it through transfiguration? If it were, it's obvious why something like a bookstore would exist, since you would have to know the entire contents of a book to create it, or why broomsticks are valuable (presumably it's the enchantment part, not the broom part, that makes a broomstick worthwhile).

Food is one of the five exceptions to Gamp's Law of Elemental Transfiguration, according to Hermione. You can't turn something into food - although she says you can increase the quantity of food, so maybe a wizard family could avoid going hungry by magically duplicating their pantry. Presumably some of the other laws say that you can't transfigure other things into money, and maybe there's some kind of physical or legal law that prevents transfiguration for profit. I looked it up, and the other exceptions to Gamp's Law are never actually stated in the books.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chamale posted:

Food is one of the five exceptions to Gamp's Law of Elemental Transfiguration, according to Hermione. You can't turn something into food - although she says you can increase the quantity of food, so maybe a wizard family could avoid going hungry by magically duplicating their pantry. Presumably some of the other laws say that you can't transfigure other things into money, and maybe there's some kind of physical or legal law that prevents transfiguration for profit. I looked it up, and the other exceptions to Gamp's Law are never actually stated in the books.

That is probably one of the biggest rear end-covering retcons in the series to be honest. Harry uses a "refilling charm" in an earlier book to refill a cup full of alcohol without problem and you can transfigure inanimate things into living things so it seems kinda hard to argue that you can transfigure a teacup into a rabbit but not into rabbit stew.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

JKR said in an interview before book 4 that there is legislation making it illegal to transfigure certain things. Presumably anything you can buy in a shop is illegal to transfigure, since otherwise it would be too widely available to sell. The Ministry of Magic is absurdly repressive.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Stop trying to (trans)figure out the world of Harry Potter. Stop it.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

ImpAtom posted:

That is probably one of the biggest rear end-covering retcons in the series to be honest. Harry uses a "refilling charm" in an earlier book to refill a cup full of alcohol without problem

Easy! The refilling charm probably simply transports liquid, it doesn't create any. The cup itself is probably charmed to make it easy for kids in the lower years to get the liquid from a nearby receptacle.

quote:

and you can transfigure inanimate things into living things so it seems kinda hard to argue that you can transfigure a teacup into a rabbit but not into rabbit stew.

... yeah, I got nothing. Honestly, a college friend already pointed out that problem to me.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

Goblins defintily have some magical charms on their own coins to prevent counterfitting. I think the real money would be had manipulating the exchange rate between various muggle and wizard money. Rich pure bloods would be too good to deal with muggle money and Goblins probably aren't able to keep abreast of Muggle financial institutions very well. Some enterprising muggle-born could make a killing.

As far as food is concerned. Hermione does make some 'food like' stuff for the trio on their camping trip in book 7. Maybe transfigured food can look like food pretty easily, but managing it to taste, look, and digest like food is extremely difficult.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

ashez2ashes posted:

As far as food is concerned. Hermione does make some 'food like' stuff for the trio on their camping trip in book 7. Maybe transfigured food can look like food pretty easily, but managing it to taste, look, and digest like food is extremely difficult.

I am pretty sure they mention having to steal food during the camping trip.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Pththya-lyi posted:

Easy! The refilling charm probably simply transports liquid, it doesn't create any. The cup itself is probably charmed to make it easy for kids in the lower years to get the liquid from a nearby receptacle.

It isn't. It's a bottle of alcohol that Slugworth specifically brought and was said to be good rare stuff, and Harry refills it to keep him happy while he's drinking with Hagrid.

bobkatt013 posted:

I am pretty sure they mention having to steal food during the camping trip.

Yeah, that is where the Law of whatever is first mentioned. Ron bitches that they don't just create food and Hermione tells him they can't, his Mom is just bringing out food she already had prepared and stored.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

It isn't. It's a bottle of alcohol that Slugworth specifically brought and was said to be good rare stuff, and Harry refills it to keep him happy while he's drinking with Hagrid.

Yeah, that is where the Law of whatever is first mentioned. Ron bitches that they don't just create food and Hermione tells him they can't, his Mom is just bringing out food she already had prepared and stored.

You can increase the quantity of food with magic, you just can't create it from thin air. Presumably the refilling charm doesn't work on an entirely empty bottle.

Chamale posted:

Most wizards are ludicrously terrible at magic so I can believe that they would pay for a perfect pewter cauldron made by a transfiguration master instead of trying to make one themselves.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Chamale posted:

JKR said in an interview before book 4 that there is legislation making it illegal to transfigure certain things. Presumably anything you can buy in a shop is illegal to transfigure, since otherwise it would be too widely available to sell. The Ministry of Magic is absurdly repressive.

so basically Magic England is a totalitarian state?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

There is a magical sensor on every underage mage in England that was put into place and is maintained just to keep anyone from having to "deal with the bother of solving Muggles problems for them".

Does that sound legitimate to you or is that explanation way to hand wavy for any truly free society to accept?

NOITAMROFNI EROM ROF RELBBIUQ TSETAL EHT DAER

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~
I figure the easiest way to explain that stuff about food and currency away is that food and water created entirely by magic is non-nutritious and that money must be created and handled by goblins and counterfeiters are somehow hosed over if they try and create a Galleon or whatever. So you can make rabbit stew from a rabbit transfigured from a stool/hydrogen atoms, but it won't do you any good from a nutritional view. You still starve to death at some point.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

Not totalitarian so much as very pre-modern. Bizarre bans and ham-handed economic manipulation weren't uncommon in the time period when the Statute of Secrecy was signed and the Ministry has never reorganized along Enlightenment philosopical lines, much less modern ones.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Has anyone been reading any of the 12 new JKR stories that have been posted to Pottermore.com? The new stories started on December 12.

https://www.pottermore.com/en-us/jkr-writing

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Inveigle posted:

Has anyone been reading any of the 12 new JKR stories that have been posted to Pottermore.com? The new stories started on December 12.

https://www.pottermore.com/en-us/jkr-writing

I figured they'd all be published in a proper short story book at some point, so I didn't bother registering on the site to read them.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

They're not new stories, they're just new pottermore information. The media keeps posting this wrong story over and over and over...

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Well geez you would think she would want to do something special with the 4 year anniversary coming up.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

It's been almost 4 seconds since the end of JK Rowling's obsession with Ron Weasley

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile
And 5 books since the end of our obsession with the rest.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
Is this ancillary Pottermore stuff available anywhere else? I'm interested in a lot of the tidbits that have come out of it like the commentary on the books and the additional stories, but from what I've heard of Pottermore it just doesn't seem fun.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
The Harry Potter wikia, though I don't think there's a way to just display all the Pottermore stuff.

Mr. Moon
Oct 22, 2007
The sky is deep and dark and eternally high...
The Harry Potter wiki is incredible just due to the fact that they try and tortuously work the books, films and video games into one coherent canon so you get individual articles on students harry did fetch quests for as if they were important.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Mr. Moon posted:

The Harry Potter wiki is incredible just due to the fact that they try and tortuously work the books, films and video games into one coherent canon so you get individual articles on students harry did fetch quests for as if they were important.

Excuse me but Harry trading wiggenwald bark for quidditch armor from George is one of the pivotal moments in their interaction and the entire trajectory of their character development :colbert:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Guy A. Person posted:

Well geez you would think she would want to do something special with the 4 year anniversary coming up.

Will some mod please change the loving thread title

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Make me some suggestions

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's been almost 8 years since the end of Harry Potter.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Harry Potter and a Bunch of Nerds Analyzing Plot Holes

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It's finally been 4 years since the end of Harry Potter

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

It's been almost 4 years since people didn't complain about the thread title

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Harry Potter And The Impending Four Year Anniversary

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
It's been almost 4 years since It's been almost 4 years since the end of Harry Potter.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It's been four years since we went to war with Eurasia.

Third
Sep 9, 2004
The most noble title any child can have.
It's been almost four years since the thread title changed.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix Four Year Anniversary

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Dat thread title :allears:

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

icantfindaname posted:

Someone joked in an earlier discussion that the reason no one outside of magical Britain reacts to Voldemort's rise to power is because Britain is the magical equivalent of an underdeveloped country. Magical Britain has always been an oppressive, dysfunctional state with horrible problems that no one else in the magical international community wants to deal with. Voldemort is just the latest in a long line of despots.

EDIT: And then there's the whole episode where Fudge is rounding up his political opponents and sentencing them on kangaroo courts while living in constant fear that Dumbledore is going to overthrow the government.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

I'd like to think that it's because British wizards rely on magic too much, and thus are lazy as a result. I mean, look at the Ministry of Magic -they're run by paranoid, slobbering idiots that pass down corrupt judgement on anything that breathes in their presence. And the people who are well and sane aren't in a position to act.

Magical Britain is probably the country that everyone else laughs at (behind their backs of course).

• Locked thread