Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Like that crossover wouldn't have owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

This guy is Showa all over. He has a scarf! That's the first one since W!

I hate to be That Guy, and this is nothing against this suit, but there's nothing Showa about that.

He doesn't have a scarf, in any sense- even V3's double scarf design was situated at the back of his neck, this is a shoulder banner. And nothing about the rest of the suit has any resemblance to the Showa era suits except maybe the atenna, but even then the loving Zect Troopers had those. Really, Mach takes more from the Troopers, both types, than he does anything from the Showa Era.

Kamen Rider 3 is Showa all over, from what we've seen of his concept art- he's got an actual scarf that goes around his neck, or is situated anywhere near his neck really, he's got the track suit-like body suit, the chest armor, the more pronounced gloves and boots, bug-like helmet, all that.

Or hell, take Kamen Rider Skull- THAT'S pretty drat Showa, and he has a hell of a scarf too.

Nothing about Mach is at all Showa, and hearing people praise him for that is getting kind of silly. He's firmly rooted in the modern style of suit design and the furthest back he goes is 2005.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I think the color scheme and design is very old-school in general, at least. Maybe not Showa specifically, though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Geez, sorry.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Poison Mushroom posted:

I think the color scheme and design is very old-school in general, at least. Maybe not Showa specifically, though.

With the Showa suits, they tended to be very big on primary colors, or nature-y colors. Greens, teals, blues, red. The original Rider was meant to be a Nature hero, powered by the wind, VS the more mechanical Shocker and such. So on, so forth.

White was never a primary component of any of the Rider designs, beyond being used for scarves or stripes- Black was more important to most of them.

Mach's color scheme is more 80s to me, though they likely wouldn't have gone with it then due to the fact that it'd get super dirty really quick, but that's well after the Showa Era Riders people think about first were done.

Solid white as a suit design wasn't really possible on suits like this back in the day- more on Sentai style ones, as those were infinitely easier to keep clean.

Waffleman_ posted:

Geez, sorry.

It's not anything big, I just keep hearing this, and it keeps not being true.

Not freaking out or anything or upset- I actually love talking about suit design. Just Showa Riders had a very particular design for the first ten.

Black and RX broke the mold, with Black going for a more techno organic style, and RX being a metal hero with a bug head

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.
With that color scheme and little cape, he's very Evel Knievel, which I like.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Burkion posted:

Solid white as a suit design wasn't really possible on suits like this back in the day- more on Sentai style ones, as those were infinitely easier to keep clean.
That's what it is! Mach looks like a Showa Sentai character! A sixth ranger, especially, just with a few more paint apps touches of color.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President
He looks like Evel Kinevel hosed his motorcycle.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I finally got caught up with ToQger and all I can say is I am very impatient for episode 40 because it looks like some crazy poo poo is going down.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I finally got caught up with ToQger and all I can say is I am very impatient for episode 40 because it looks like some crazy poo poo is going down.

ToQger is fantastic and the filler episode of 38 really hurt it but I feel like everything is about to crash down gloriously and be amazing.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Oh yeah episode 38 was awful even if it had the best finisher of the series in my opinion. It was just blatant filler with absolutely nothing happening, which is a shame because ToQger is at its best when the villains are heavily involved and things are actually moving forward plot-wise.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Drive was pretty good this week!! This show keeps defying my expectations of it being god-awful

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Rei_ posted:

Drive was pretty good this week!! This show keeps defying my expectations of it being god-awful

I remind you the writer behind it is Riku Sanjou, who was also behind Double and Kyoryuger (and was second on Fourze). I simply cannot understand how you'd expect Drive to be god-awful when Sanjou's a really good writer.

I might be enjoying it even more than I enjoyed Double at the beginning though. Shinnosuke is a really enjoyable lead with his constant snark during battle and his true drive (sorry) to help people both as a cop and as a Kamen Rider, and Kiriko is basically Rinko done right. I wish she got to be Mach, but I guess asking for an important female Rider is asking for too much.

Also I still find it hard to believe how the previously mediocre TQG has gotten so drat good. Akira and Zed saved the series and now it's something I truly enjoy watching every week. Kobayashi's villains keep being the pull of her series and absolutely enjoyable (though I dunno if any here really compares to Enter...but then again, who does?). I still don't like the mecha design, but I'm enjoying the hell out of the plot and characters (mostly the villains and Akira, but the ToQgers themselves aren't that bad, with Tokatti being the most enjoyable of the lot)

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
Which episodes after 35 are the good plot ones?

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Solaris Knight posted:

Which episodes after 35 are the good plot ones?

basically everything that isn't 38 til now is good story stuff, I think.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
37 is by the same lovely fill-in writer as 38, but wasn't as bad.

36 is by Sho Aikawa, but you should watch it despite that just to bask in how not Sho Aikawa an episode it turned out to be. I was stunned when I looked up the writing credit and saw his name.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
40 is out and we're getting quite close to endgame (iirc, ToQgers is 49 eps).

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Yeah I just finished episode 40 and man is it incredible. I actually find it hard to see how they're going to get 8 or 9 more episodes in because this really does seem like it's pretty much the final battle at this point. I did see one of my suspicions was confirmed, namely that the enemy's base is their hometown which was cool.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

There's still Shadowtowns they haven't cleaned, considering there are still some Chess Shadows that haven't shown up. Not sure how it's going to play into but I bet they can't finish this up until they get rid of all of the shadow towns.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

That's a good point, I forgot they've only fought Rook, Bishop, and Knight, there could possibly be Pawn, King, and Queen.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Things called King and Queen Shadow definitely sound like the kind of last minute super reinforcements the badguys usually get in the last 7 or so episodes.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Twelve by Pies posted:

That's a good point, I forgot they've only fought Rook, Bishop, and Knight, there could possibly be Pawn, King, and Queen.

Kamen Rider Kiva crossover confirmed.

I've never watched ToQger so that's what monsters named after chess pieces sent my mind.

Gotenks0053
Sep 2, 2011
So, new Drive Forms revealed teased in toy scan: http://d-amazing.tumblr.com/post/105475989545

Gotenks0053 fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 18, 2014

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Gotenks0053 posted:

So, new Drive Forms revealed teased in toy scan: http://d-amazing.tumblr.com/post/105475989545
Looks like it comes from the mid season mandatory belt attachment doodad.

Nyarlathotep
May 29, 2003
I'm way behind, but has toqger done the obligatory Christmas episode(s) yet?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Nyarlathotep posted:

I'm way behind, but has toqger done the obligatory Christmas episode(s) yet?

That's the plot line going on right now; the joy and happiness of Christmas suppresses the darkness in the world, and so Schwarz is making a big move.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I just watched episode 0 and since I doubt it's a coincidence that Toei would give them both the same actor it looks like Chase being Proto-Drive is basically confirmed. I'm also betting that Proto-Drive is going to be making a return later on either by Chase reclaiming the powers or Tomari getting a new form that makes him look like Proto-Drive.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Larryb posted:

I just watched episode 0 and since I doubt it's a coincidence that Toei would give them both the same actor it looks like Chase being Proto-Drive is basically confirmed. I'm also betting that Proto-Drive is going to be making a return later on either by Chase reclaiming the powers or Tomari getting a new form that makes him look like Proto-Drive.

I fully expect that we'll have a trio of Riders with Chase turning sides and becoming Proto-Drive once again (perhaps with a powered up form since Chaser is getting one, plus Mach and, of course, Drive himself.

Talking about that, after the Chase revelation in this episode, we're getting Go/Mach next one. Let's henshin. Definitely pumped for it, Drive keeps not disappointing.

NotALizardman
Jun 5, 2011

Larryb posted:

I think it's more likely that Proto-Drive is dead as hell and Chase copied him, the same way Volt copied that author. Volt demonstrated that the Roidmudes inherit a little bit of the person they copy, with the whole "wanting to finish the story" thing. Plus, Chase is either a prototype or defective, so he might have copied more of Proto's personality than Volt did with his host.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

NotALizardman posted:

I think it's more likely that Proto-Drive is dead as hell and Chase copied him, the same way Volt copied that author. Volt demonstrated that the Roidmudes inherit a little bit of the person they copy, with the whole "wanting to finish the story" thing. Plus, Chase is either a prototype or defective, so he might have copied more of Proto's personality than Volt did with his host.

That'd make sense actually, still doesn't mean he couldn't gain the means to transform into Proto-Drive later down the line though.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Larryb posted:

That'd make sense actually, still doesn't mean he couldn't gain the means to transform into Proto-Drive later down the line though.

I assume it's more likely Chase sacrifices himself at some point to save Shinnosuke and co. Possibly giving Drive a new power-up in the process.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

NotALizardman posted:

I seriously don't think this is possible. Mr. Belt does not recognise Chase's human form at all, he only recognises the Mashin Chaser form as being based on Proto-Drive's system. The first time Mr. Belt gives an actual reaction to Chase himself is when he sees Chase become Roidmude 000. While you could say that this is because 000 was one of the Roidmudes that attacked and killed him as Steinbelt, this is not the case - those were Roidmudes 001 to 003 (Heart, Brain and one unknown, possibly Medic).

There's nothing saying that Proto-Drive was a human, and Steinbelt would have the chance to get a Roidmude to work under him, considering he was friends with the person who made them in the first place and was the one to give them their source of energy. I'd say it's far more likely that Proto-Drive was Roidmude 000. Mr. Belt thought 000/Proto-Drive was killed, but instead Heart and Brain took him and erased his memories, making him copy a human form and giving him the identity of Chase, alongside copying his Proto-Drive powers as Mashin Chaser. However, his memories remain buried in him, hence why he couldn't shoot Kiriko and froze entirely once Shinnosuke made him see how many people would die because of Volt's actions. Not to mention, he mentioned far before this that he didn't hurt humans, going as far as not attacking Shinnosuke before he transformed.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

I think Chase got a 'THAT MAN....' from Belt though

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
So, I've never watched a Kamen Rider series extensively, what's a good start? I hear W is a really good series.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
W is an excellent starting point.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Raserys posted:

So, I've never watched a Kamen Rider series extensively, what's a good start? I hear W is a really good series.
W is really good, yes, and has a very solid plot. It's a great place to start if you want something with a solid story and interesting main characters that doesn't take itself too seriously. Grade: A
OOO is very... prototypical, in that it's a decent series that has most of the attributes that you're going to run into in all of them, just emphasized. Good music, nice suit design (mostly), entertaining secondary characters, a really boring main character, decent fight coreography, a filler-ish middle and a somewhat rushed ending. Basically, it's the series you watch when you want the experience of watching everything Kamen Rider in the last fifteen or so years all condensed into one series. Grade: B
Fourze is infectiously optimistic, and has, in my opinion, the best secondary cast of any Kamen Rider series. Its plot, however, isn't very deep, and it suffers very badly from 'monster of the week' syndrome. Great if you want something light-hearted, and not too self-important. It's also my favorite series, though I recognize that W is probably the better-written series. Grade: A-
Wizard is awful. Decent special effects, a cool concept, and a great secondary rider... that they proceed to do absolutely gently caress-all with for forty episodes. It's not the worse Kamen Rider series ever, but it's definitely one of the most forgettable. Grade: D
Gaim is rather unlike any other Kamen Riders, because it's written by the guy who did Madoka Magicka. Personally, I feel like it's a bad choice for a first series, because it works partially on twisting your expectations about how a Kamen Rider series will go. But nothing's really stopping you from watching it, I guess. Still, when you do finally watch it, very good, just with some problems sticking the landing at the end. Grade: A-
Drive is the current, ongoing series. It's still only 1/4 of the way in, so it's hard to judge whether it will be a good series or not. For now, the thread seems fairly fond of it.

I'll also say this. No matter what you watch, do not watch the TV-Nihon dub unless you have no other choice. They read like their QC team is "whatever dumbasses volunteered on the forums that week" because that's literally what it is. For W to Fourze and Drive, your best bet is probably Over-Ti.me.

TL;DR: Watch W, or Fourze if you want something goofy, and either way, watch the Over-ti.me sub.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

That's a good rundown, except you missed that Fourze has the most insufferable secondary Rider and his presence nearly kills the middle portion of the series.

That's right, I said it. Meteor is more insufferable than Accel. Deal with it. :colbert:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I dunno. Between his over-the-top Bruce Lee yells, his actually-pretty-decent mini-redemption-arc, and his upgrade being a goddamn Beyblade, it's kinda hard to stay mad at the guy.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Poison Mushroom posted:

I dunno. Between his over-the-top Bruce Lee yells, his actually-pretty-decent mini-redemption-arc, and his upgrade being a goddamn Beyblade, it's kinda hard to stay mad at the guy.

Also the first Kyoto Episode. That entire thing he was doing was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Stallion Cabana posted:

Also the first Kyoto Episode. That entire thing he was doing was amazing.

He got infinitely better after Gentaro got his final form, I will grant you that.

However, from 16 to the latter half of 32, the plot revolved around him and with the exception of Cancer (who was loving GREAT), the series really suffered.

• Locked thread