Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
There is no part of that story which isn't extremely loving stupid other than the part where you get medical attention and then don't cook for yourself. Well done I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Canned chicken
Holy poo poo, gently caress america

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Preserved foods packaged securely? gently caress America!

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Kaz, are you aware that you can have food delivered to your house over the internet? At the very worst, over the phone? Pizzas are tasty and filling and have absolutely no sharp edges.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

He was too sleep deprived to consider that. The answer is clearly that he needs to be strapped to his bed at night so he doesn't wander off and hurt himself.

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

Remora posted:

Kaz, are you aware that you can have food delivered to your house over the internet? At the very worst, over the phone? Pizzas are tasty and filling and have absolutely no sharp edges.

Yeah that's how I've been spending the last few mostly-bedridden days. I think it's time to hang up the chef's hat for good.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Squeegy posted:

Preserved foods packaged securely? gently caress America!

Don't you dare call it food.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Also if you believe there's a reason to make preserved chicken bits then you're hosed in the head

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Kazerad posted:

with some canned chicken
Your first mistake

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Thank Christ you're here to inform us that increasing the shelf life on poultry is the work of Satan.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Kazerad posted:

Yeah that's how I've been spending the last few mostly-bedridden days. I think it's time to hang up the chef's hat for good.

I think you need a youtube channel of you trying to prepare even the simplest of meals. The profits can go to repairs and medical expenses.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

When you think about it, Kazerad has a history of not understanding that the tools used by one field (e.g. gardeners) are not considered appropriate in the domain of another. (e.g. chefs)

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Kazerad posted:

SOMETHING AWFUL FORUMS, I am going to tell you the harrowing tale of my chicken nuggets.

The first thing I would like to establish is that, during these events I am about to describe, I had not slept in a long time and also had a very high fever. This is not meant to excuse choices I made, but rather I feel it is necessary knowledge to understand the logic I employ therein.

Anyway, this story begins with me, having not slept in a very long time, wanting to go to bed. However, I had a problem: I was hungry, and I feared this would be inhibitory to sleep. I didn't have much food around my house since, like Tollymain said, I have long since realized that I should under no circumstances be allowed to prepare my own food. I was feeling too sick to walk to a restaurant, though, so I decided it was time to get creative. I carefully examined the meager ingredients I had, and I came up with a plan.

I was going to make chicken nuggets.

I didn't actually know anything about making chicken nuggets, of course, but in my feverish delirium I planned the creation of what I viewed to be a passable facsimile. First, I would crush up a box of Chex. Then, I would pour the remains into a ziplock with some canned chicken and a bunch of buffalo sauce, shaking them up and in theory utilizing the sauce's adhesive properties to "bread" the chicken with the crumbs. Then, I would somehow fish the chicken bits out and microwave or bake them or something. I wasn't sure. I was going to cross that bridge when I got to it. Absolutely nothing about this struck me as a bad idea.

Crushing up the Chex was relatively uneventful. If nothing else, I proved pretty good at breaking things. Next, I opened up the can of chicken, drained it, and dumped the remaining chicken-slugs into the bag with my Chex apocalypse. However, this is where I ran into my problem: I couldn't get all of the semisolid chickenbits out of the can.

I shook it as hard as I could, but the can's still-connected lid got in the way and limited my motions. I couldn't use a knife or something to scoop the chicken out, since then I wouldn't have a hand to hold the bag open and disgusting quasichicken would go all over the place. If I wanted get that chicken into my meaty chex-slurry, I clearly had shake it harder, which meant removing the lid, but that in itself posed a problem: the lid's underside was coated with gross canned chicken slime. Not so gross that I wouldn't eat it, but gross enough that I didn't want to touch it with my hands.

Putting down my bag of meaty buffalo oatmeal surprise, I carefully assessed the situation and came to a conclusion. Clearly, the best way to remove the semi-connected lid from this can would be to grip the lid by its sharp metal sides as tightly as I could and give it a firm yank upwards. At the time I could see absolutely nothing wrong with this plan, though shortly after executing it I discovered my critical miscalculation: the entire plan was stupid.

But yeah, once I stopped the bleeding enough that I wouldn't ruin my car's upholstery, I went in and got stitches. On the way home I picked up Chik-fil-A. I guess the moral of the story was basically "don't give a handjob to a razor blade", though it's difficult for me to imagine any other context in which this moral would ever be applicable. But, just in case, I think we can all say we've learned a very valuable lesson here.

The bloodstained bag of nonvegetarian cornflake sludge is still in my fridge. I apparently put it in there with the intent of finishing my project sometime. Looking back four days and most-a-course-of-Tamiflu later, I'm not sure I really want to touch it.

I don't think people listen to my advice because I have good ideas so much as because I have a lot of first-hand experience with bad ideas.

Oh dear god shut up.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
That's a one-way trip to Stomachpumpopolis, and there ain't no coming back from that.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Afraid of Audio posted:

Oh dear god shut up.

How dare Kazerad tell the story people have been talking about for two pages! The nerve of some people!

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

cheetah7071 posted:

How dare Kazerad tell the story people have been talking about for two pages! The nerve of some people!

I know maybe people who right literal rape fiction shouldn't be allowed to write on Something Awful.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Kazerad posted:

SOMETHING AWFUL FORUMS, I am going to tell you the harrowing tale of my chicken nuggets.

"Your Alchemy skill increased."

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Learn to loving cook for Christ's sake

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Slicing your hand open might have been the better alternative to eating the bag of chicken mush you were going to microwave.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Afraid of Audio posted:

I know maybe people who right literal rape fiction shouldn't be allowed to write on Something Awful.

I disagree; they should be made mods

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Kaz, you should probably stock your home with relatively healthy snacks that require no preparation in the event that you are hungry and it is late. I'd suggest protein bars to start. Atkins ones are actually pretty tasty. Depends on your budget, they can be kinda expensive.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

jetz0r posted:

Slicing your hand open might have been the better alternative to eating the bag of chicken mush you were going to microwave.

This is exactly what I was thinking as I read, that poo poo sounded absolutely nauseating and I'd have taken stitches over eating canned chicken buffalo chex slurry any day. Kaz, you have no idea how lucky you were. Canned chicken is only to be used as a treat for cats and maybe for extremely low effort and tasteless chicken salad, if you're desperate.

Though in hindsight considering your culinary disability I suppose it's also lucky you were only experimenting with that...concoction instead attempting to cook actual breaded chicken in an actual frying pan filled with hot oil.

So, uh, seconding JT Jag's suggestion a thousand times over. If nothing else maybe buy some frozen dinners? (And keep us updated on any new and exciting ways you may find to seriously injure yourself using only a microwave.)

Oh yes and for the goon freaking out about the very concept of canned chicken being a thing that exists: I have done this IRL.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Dec 18, 2014

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Canned chicken

You've never eaten fast food I take it.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Its a lot more convenient to use canned deboned chicken breast for salads and sandwhiches than to chop up a chicken breast, boil it, and then strain it. Are you also opposed to canned tuna fish?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Tuna doesn't come marinaded in slime. :barf:

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
I gotta say, Kaz, that was a more magical journey than I could have imagined. How you've survived this long in a world full of kitchens is frankly a miracle.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Somebody find that gif of a canned chicken coming out of Shakira's butt.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
There's also canned chopped deboned chicken breast, just imagine how it is with tuna only it looks white.

I have cans of both, about 5 ounces each. The ingredients on a chicken can are chicken breast, water, less than 2% food starch, salt, sodium phosphate. The tuna is tuna, water, veggie broth, soy, and salt. Pretty comperable.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Anything that can be preserved should come in a can. No one's making you buy it. Canned food is a scientific blessing.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Kazerad posted:

A beautiful experience

This is amazing. You're amazing :allears:

Please make food more often.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

ThaumPenguin posted:

This is amazing. You're amazing :allears:

Please make food more often.

Why do you wish him to cut his head off with a pizza?

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Squeegy posted:

Anything that can be preserved should come in a can. No one's making you buy it. Canned food is a scientific blessing.

for the botulin producing bacteria
to produce botulin in

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I admit I'm kind of morbidly curious to try canned chicken chicken nuggets now. Just drain, rinse and dry it really well, add some salt, pepper, garlic powder and cayenne. Use an egg for binding instead of as a wash and just roll it in flour and fry...they might still disintegrate in the pan but I guess instead of coating the outside you could mix in some cracker crumbs and make passable chicken meatballs instead.

for the botulin producing bacteria
to produce botulin in

Man you're right, the human race would be so much better off if we'd never learned to preserve food, it's just unsafe.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
When I tried to open a can of those pre-made Bisquick biscuits for the first time I didn't know that they came with instructions on the back and all attempts to use a can opener on them bewildered me. I eventually resorted to stabbing the can with a spoon until it exploded.

This was a while ago, mind, but cookery makes savages of us all.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i need to buy a can opener that works because right now i have to resort to basically perforating around the lid of the can with it and then tearing the lid off by levering a butterknife through the larger holes :shepface:

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?
Oh! I remember this place! This is the thread with the Elder Scrolls MS paint catgirl who everything goes wrong for. I could catch up from where I left off but first I'll skip to the end and see what's going on right....

:stonklol:
:allears:

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
^^^excuse me what is this 'comic' you speak of, you must be confused this is the cooking injuries and canned chicken thread

Tollymain posted:

i need to buy a can opener that works because right now i have to resort to basically perforating around the lid of the can with it and then tearing the lid off by levering a butterknife through the larger holes :shepface:

And yet you've never wound up in a hospital, amazing!

I have a fancy one that slices the lid right off from the side of the can, it's nice because there's no sharp edges at all so afterwards you can safely use your can for storage or crafts if you're some kind of hoarder.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

KayTee posted:

Oh! I remember this place! This is the thread with the Elder Scrolls MS paint catgirl who everything goes wrong for.
Turns out Kazerad has been writing what he knows all along! :v:

Canned chicken
This may shock you but there were other methods of food preservation before refrigerators and freezers were invented.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
Oh that wacky Kazerad, what will that scamp do next. I sure hope he doesn't get into any crazy hijinks that will stop him from writing his hosed up comic no siree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Afraid of Audio posted:

Oh that wacky Kazerad, what will that scamp do next. I sure hope he doesn't get into any crazy hijinks that will stop him from writing his hosed up comic no siree.

Look we get it, Kazerad has ridiculously dumb opinions but your obsession with them is bordering on creepy and we don't need your regular updates on how dumb you think they are. Also this poo poo post adds nothing to the thread.

• Locked thread