Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Jedit posted:

The next game is Between Two Cities, and it's the first Stonemaier game that he hasn't designed himself. KS begins next month.

Everyone in my group who has tried Euphoria and/or Viticulture likes them, or at least thinks they're OK if not what they'd rush to play. Both games have the added bonus of scaling well to six players without taking geological time to play.

It's also pretty hard to get bored playing base Viticulture as the game usually runs fewer than ten turns.

Keyflower does the same thing for six and is much less boring. Naturally everyone is entitled to their opinion and I would not call Viticulture a bad game, just not one that was very interesting for our group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

FISHMANPET posted:

RE: Legacy games, ls "Legacy" a brand or just a concept? And either way what other "Legacy" games are there besides Risk? Looking at the Kickstarter, for Tuscany (Viticulture expansion) it sort of has a Legacy feel to it, because it wants you to slowly add expansions in over time. But I thought it was a Hasbro trademark and all they'd released was Risk: Legacy. But now I see Pandemic Legacy is a real thing, but will it actually be called Pandemic Legacy, or something else?

Sort of both? Rob Daviau is the creator of Risk: Legacy and the co-creator of Pandemic: Legacy (also, the hugely-hyped Seafall: A Legacy Game). So Z-Man is clearly trying to trade on a sort of name recognition here, even though neither Hasbro nor Z-Man have Legacy as an established brand or trademark.

But the "legacy" mechanic of persistence between game sessions is something other designers have been futzing around with, like Stonemeier with Tuscany.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Impermanent posted:

How are Viticulture and Euphoria as games?

I can't speak to Viticulture on my own (though from the reviews I read before backing Tuscany and recent posts in this thread it seems solid) plus the theme seems like it will sell it

Euphoria has some flaws but is a great game with some fun twists on the usual worker placement formula. Dice-as-workers, bumping workers, "unlock tracks", multi-tier resources, and unique point system (and the theme, while not super stylish, fits the mechanics well)
I don't know if it is quite as tight as Alien Frontiers with 3 or 4 (which has some similar mechanics, especially given the obvious dice-as-workers) but I prefer it over Lords of Waterdeep when you have 5 or 6 players

TurdBurgles
Sep 17, 2007

I AM WHITE AND PLAY NA FLUTE ON TRIBAL LANDS WITH NO GUILT.
I don't really know where the best place to ask this is, so I thought I'd try here. My father in law is big into dominoes and I'd like to get him a fancy set for xmas. The Ales Cramer sets seem over priced for not having spinners and the Amazon ones seem very cheap.

Are they any specialty dominoes sites that I could find something nice under $60?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Angra Mainyu posted:

I don't really know where the best place to ask this is, so I thought I'd try here. My father in law is big into dominoes and I'd like to get him a fancy set for xmas. The Ales Cramer sets seem over priced for not having spinners and the Amazon ones seem very cheap.

Are they any specialty dominoes sites that I could find something nice under $60?

You could get him a custom set with his name on it or something. The double 6 is only $40:
http://www.dominoes.com/shop/42/custom-dominoes/

TurdBurgles
Sep 17, 2007

I AM WHITE AND PLAY NA FLUTE ON TRIBAL LANDS WITH NO GUILT.

Rutibex posted:

You could get him a custom set with his name on it or something. The double 6 is only $40:
http://www.dominoes.com/shop/42/custom-dominoes/

Thanks dude!

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Back when I had a regular gaming group one of the last games we played was Risk: Legacy and I thought it was pretty loving fun. If you absolutely, 100% cannot stand anything Risk related then you'll hate it. Otherwise we enjoyed messing with the board, tearing up cards, doing things that permanently changed poo poo for short-term gain, and the victory conditions mean that you aren't stuck playing a never-ending game for three hours. By the time I moved we had played six or seven games. I don't know if it would continue to remain enjoyable for the 15 games it's supposed to take to play out a "complete campaign" but there was still stuff left to unlock at that point so maybe? It's not a casual impulse purchase but also not one I'd regret owning.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
A segment of my gaming group also played through almost an entire 15-game 'campaign' of Risk: Legacy a while back, and I can say with confidence that some of the nights we played were some of the most memorable experiences I have in table-top gaming. Our group isn't nearly as discerning of Risk as a game compared to the majority of people, so I agree with Kai Tave above that if you really just hate Risk, the extra experience content in Legacy probably won't win you over, at least not entirely. But the permanent changes to the rules/board/components, the way the world evolves in some pretty radical ways, and the sheer excitement of the unknown when we would crack into the latest sealed package was unlike anything else I've done in board gaming. There is one in particular, which people who have been through all the secret content likely know what I am talking about, which completely caught us by surprise and we could not wait to play the game again under the new conditions which were presented.

Even after having gone through all the hidden content, I would actually consider buying the game a second time if I had another group of new players I could introduce it to. Hell, even playing a new copy with people who know how things change could prove an interesting change to meta strategies and decisions people make.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I have played and enjoyed both Pandemic and Forbidden Island. I may have jumped off the deep end by putting Twilight Imperium (the political game) and Crusoe (the co-op survival game) on my Amazon wishlist for Xmas. Beyond reading the books and cheat sheets, is there anything that I can do with these to minimise angry tears on the big day?

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Southern Heel posted:

I have played and enjoyed both Pandemic and Forbidden Island. I may have jumped off the deep end by putting Twilight Imperium (the political game) and Crusoe (the co-op survival game) on my Amazon wishlist for Xmas. Beyond reading the books and cheat sheets, is there anything that I can do with these to minimise angry tears on the big day?

I think you'd be doing the world a service if you went in completely blind and filmed your first TI play session.

It looks like these might be decent introductory videos for Twilight Imperium:

http://shutupshow.tumblr.com/post/33647587925/lets-play-twilight-imperium

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qMVB5xp9qc

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Southern Heel posted:

You have to take risks in Crusoe to have enough resources to survive, so you can't just stick two actions on something to guarantee it all the time.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Find a good 'how to play' guide for Crusoe, and play it solo a couple times before teaming up with other people - the rule book is loving terrible.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

^ TY!

Somberbrero posted:

I think you'd be doing the world a service if you went in completely blind and filmed your first TI play session.

It looks like these might be decent introductory videos for Twilight Imperium:

http://shutupshow.tumblr.com/post/33647587925/lets-play-twilight-imperium

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qMVB5xp9qc

Ah, twilight STRUGGLE - the one about US/USSR cold-war politics - I have seen Twilight Imperium and oh my jesus.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Impermanent posted:

How are Viticulture and Euphoria as games?

Viticulture and Euphoria are both middle-weight worker placement games with fairly well-integrated themes.

Viticulture is a game about making wine. You'll draw vine cards, build the structures that support them, plant them in the fields, harvest the grapes, crush them into wine (building better cellars if you need them), and fill wine order cards, which you also draw. There are half as many placement spaces as players, round up, and generally the first person to hit a space gets some kind of bonus. It's got selectable round-to-round playing orders, Fresco-style, with lower orders having greater bonuses, up to and including an extra worker for the year.

It has a large random component and requires at least some reactive play, and there are several possible ways to get points.

Euphoria is a game about building influence within a dystopia to get a power base across its four factions. The three ground-bound factions all have a base commodity production area, a mining area which produces building materials or artifacts, a preconstructed artifact market where you can trade artifacts for influence in the faction, and two markets which require various mixes of materials to build. The flying Icarites have a commodity-production area, and markets which will let you trade commodities for materials or artifacts, or materials for influence directly.

Spaces are rarely blocked. Some spaces can take any number of workers; others hold one at a time, which is bumped back to your hand when someone else places there. This is a bit of a bonus for you as it means you can take one more turn without wasting one to retrieve your workers. The only thing dependent on the number of players is how many workers it takes to build a market, which is a blocking mechanism of sorts as the market finishes when they're done, lets the builders place influence, and provides some downside, such as: anyone who hasn't got influence on the Cafeteria of Nameless Meat can't train more workers unless they have only one, for reasons completely unrelated to nameless meat. It is a bit of a bear to keep track of everyone and what they can't do.

Three gauges shared by everyone are morale, knowledge, and faction influence. Morale influences how many artifacts your workers will be okay with you holding onto (your hand size). Knowledge is, of course, terrible for your workers to have - they're dice, and anytime you roll your workers when they return and the total is over 16, you lose whoever rolled the highest knowledge. You advance the faction influence track for each faction by doing various things, and it gives you bonus powers if you have a face-up recruit of that faction. (dealt 4, picked 2, start with 1 face-up)

Both games have something a little unique for worker-placement games, at least in my experience. An "it ain't over 'til it's over" endgame. The game state itself is static and doesn't evolve over a limited number of turns. Instead, the game ends at a certain score: when someone in Euphoria has placed their tenth star, they win. When someone hits 20 points in Viticulture, the game will end at the end of the year. This makes it possible to save resources for a scoring sprint, and also to run out of juice short of the ultimate goal.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
Has anyone tried the game [b]Steam Park]/b]? It's cheap as hell on Amazon now, and the design looks pretty cool to me, I'm just curious of the longevity of it all, and if it's as lightweight as some reviews make it out to be.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Played a couple of rounds of Mysterium, one as a ghost and one as the investigators! I quite enjoyed it myself: as the ghost you really have to think of ways to use the cards in conjunction with each other in order to make the investigators understand what you mean. The first game with me as the ghost went really well and the investigators cracked the case on day 6, while when my SO played the ghost we were late by one day! Overall I thought it was quite fun and unusual and has a real dixit-like vibe to it. My SO also really liked it, especially the theme and the art so she couldn't wait to try out being the ghost again. I'll have to see what kind of replayability it has, although there are a few different difficulty settings (which decide how many cards are present to choose from as well as how many times the ghost can redraw his hand).

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I haven't gotten to play it yet, but Imperial Assault is very literally Star Wars Descent 2nd. On the other hand, it looks like they've made a lot of improvements - cleaner LOS, slightly less swingy dice, shorter missions with more fluid components, more to do as you go through a campaign. I've got no idea if the balance is any good yet but a friend and I are going on break for Christmas soon so we'll probably bash out a chunk of a campaign together.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory
I'm a bit interested in Imperial Assault as well but bazillion something something packs makes me feel like not getting it. I mean look at this CoolStuff page for them.

If I buy a game, I need get all parts of it, so that "But you can play with only the core box" argument doesn't work for me. So the choice is either getting all of this, or not getting it at all.

Also not a fan of miniatures, I already have enough to do without putting time into painting them, and I have to pain them because OCD.

So far I've been able to resist purchasing this, so far...

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'll report back with a proper trip report on Mon/Tues probably. I'm curious to know how much of that poo poo's actually necessary. The friend who's bought it is mad for Star Wars so he got everything, but I'll keep an eye out on how much gets used.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
ARE YOU loving KIDDING ME?!

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/210379
http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/210378

MY KS COPY HASN'T EVEN SHIPPED YET

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Tekopo posted:

Played a couple of rounds of Mysterium, one as a ghost and one as the investigators! I quite enjoyed it myself: as the ghost you really have to think of ways to use the cards in conjunction with each other in order to make the investigators understand what you mean. The first game with me as the ghost went really well and the investigators cracked the case on day 6, while when my SO played the ghost we were late by one day! Overall I thought it was quite fun and unusual and has a real dixit-like vibe to it. My SO also really liked it, especially the theme and the art so she couldn't wait to try out being the ghost again. I'll have to see what kind of replayability it has, although there are a few different difficulty settings (which decide how many cards are present to choose from as well as how many times the ghost can redraw his hand).

Is this only available in Polish at the moment, or am I blind/missing something/caught the stupid?

It sounds like fun and right up my wife's alley.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Broken Loose posted:

Hey, that is awful.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Broken Loose posted:

Will these changes come to Avalon eventually? Other than the inquisitor which is just Merlin

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Mister Sinewave posted:

Is this only available in Polish at the moment, or am I blind/missing something/caught the stupid?

It sounds like fun and right up my wife's alley.
I got the Italian version and the game is simple + language agnostic. Don't think an english version is out yet.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
There is an unofficial English-language rulebook available on BGG. You could probably sum the rules up in a few sentences, though.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Thanks, I'll pull the trigger next time I see it available at any of my usual haunts.

I have more games than I can play lately, it's great :allears:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Somberbrero posted:

Hey, that is awful.

i'm literally about to go out the door to CSI for board game night. i could physically purchase a copy tonight and play it.

if it wasn't for the loving rogue i'd do it. i'm never supporting an IB&C KS again.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Megasabin posted:

Will these changes come to Avalon eventually? Other than the inquisitor which is just Merlin

I believe they said that Avalon is a stand alone game and wouldn't be expanded like The Resistance.

Also I am not surprised. That is annoying.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Broken Loose posted:

i'm literally about to go out the door to CSI for board game night. i could physically purchase a copy tonight and play it.

if it wasn't for the loving rogue i'd do it. i'm never supporting an IB&C KS again.
Happy Anniversary edition of Dungeon Lords was available to buy at the website I buy stuff in the UK way before I got my own copy. Then again, I did get the upgrade pack which wouldn't have been available commercially :shrug:

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory
We were just talking about Zombie Kickstarters the last page and a new one, ZNA, which only costs $125 (+$70 shipping to my country for example) has already made almost $100k in its first day. Doesn't it just warm your heart?

(Miniatures are bold in the component list, just in case)

echoMateria fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 17, 2014

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Merauder posted:

A segment of my gaming group also played through almost an entire 15-game 'campaign' of Risk: Legacy a while back, and I can say with confidence that some of the nights we played were some of the most memorable experiences I have in table-top gaming. Our group isn't nearly as discerning of Risk as a game compared to the majority of people, so I agree with Kai Tave above that if you really just hate Risk, the extra experience content in Legacy probably won't win you over, at least not entirely. But the permanent changes to the rules/board/components, the way the world evolves in some pretty radical ways, and the sheer excitement of the unknown when we would crack into the latest sealed package was unlike anything else I've done in board gaming. There is one in particular, which people who have been through all the secret content likely know what I am talking about, which completely caught us by surprise and we could not wait to play the game again under the new conditions which were presented.

Even after having gone through all the hidden content, I would actually consider buying the game a second time if I had another group of new players I could introduce it to. Hell, even playing a new copy with people who know how things change could prove an interesting change to meta strategies and decisions people make.

My group only made it through game 7 before we lost one of our players to a breakup. But even with that, I agree with all of the above. The important thing imho is having a consistent group to play with and being able to commit to getting through the games before someone dies/moves away/etc. :)

We could theoretically have continued with less players or subbing someone new in, but it just wouldn't have been the same. (Although we were talking about it recently, and everyone wants to see the rest, so we may in fact do this anyway)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Wooh, my Dungeon Lords Anniversary Edition/Dungeon Petz/Dark Alleys set arrived! Ive spent a lot of time today sticking on stickers and trying to work out what bits fit where in the box, which was fun (the only bit I couldn't figure out was the enhanced tunnel tiles which don't seem to fit anywhere).

I'm thinking about teaching my group Petz tomorrow after one or two rules readthroughs, probably with Dark Alleys because I mashed it all together in one box. Any pitfalls to watch out for?

Also, how long does teaching Lords take? Bearing in mind that we're a super-slow group...

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Megasabin posted:

Nope. Avalon is a one-shot deal and won't get any upgrades ever. If you want Trapper, Hunter, Reverser, or Defector, you gotta get HI&HA (unless you got the KS Avalon which has the Defector). If you want Rogue or Sergeant, you had to Kickstart HI&HA (unless you got the KS Avalon which has the Sergeant).

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Broken Loose posted:

Nope. Avalon is a one-shot deal and won't get any upgrades ever. If you want Trapper, Hunter, Reverser, or Defector, you gotta get HI&HA (unless you got the KS Avalon which has the Defector). If you want Rogue or Sergeant, you had to Kickstart HI&HA (unless you got the KS Avalon which has the Sergeant).

I just read on BGG that an Avalon expansion is in the works and the kickstarter will go live next year.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

thespaceinvader posted:

Wooh, my Dungeon Lords Anniversary Edition/Dungeon Petz/Dark Alleys set arrived! Ive spent a lot of time today sticking on stickers and trying to work out what bits fit where in the box, which was fun (the only bit I couldn't figure out was the enhanced tunnel tiles which don't seem to fit anywhere).

I'm thinking about teaching my group Petz tomorrow after one or two rules readthroughs, probably with Dark Alleys because I mashed it all together in one box. Any pitfalls to watch out for?

Also, how long does teaching Lords take? Bearing in mind that we're a super-slow group...

When teaching Petz, I actually try to mention the flavor as explanations for game mechanics as we go along. It's pretty helpful, not everyone necessarily remembers that you need at least two Imps on the Cage space, but more people remember that an Imp is too small to carry a cage alone. :3:

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Megasabin posted:

I just read on BGG that an Avalon expansion is in the works and the kickstarter will go live this year.

i swear to god you had best be lying.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

I wouldn't recommend using the extra board from Dark Alleys (the one with more actions) until you are familiar with the game, because it can of breaks some of the established rules in the base game (for better, but it makes things a lot more complex). I would also suggest taking out the advanced pets/cages/additions/artifacts from Dark Alleys until you know what you are doing.

Lords can take a long time to teach if it is your first time because it have a lot of moving parts and small rules (like most Vlaadas).

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Bahaha.
In the KS they actually said that Avalon is stand alone and wouldn't be expanded.

quote:

Avalon compatibility - this isn't something that I thought that people would be interested in - mixing Avalon with these new expansions. But I have received a number of questions about this -"Will this expansion work with Avalon?". Now that we've added a full set of Mission cards and a full set of Character cards, the answer is "Yes, the Kickstarter Edition of Hostile Intent & Hidden Danger can be used with Avalon." It will of course be a mix and match of themes, but it can be done. And to answer the follow up question, there is no planned Avalon expansion - Avalon is and will continue to be a stand alone game.

Plans....have changed.
...Because we give them lots of money.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

ChiTownEddie posted:

Bahaha.
In the KS they actually said that Avalon is stand alone and wouldn't be expanded.

Plans....have changed.

I just read about it a random BGG thread. No clue if it's true or not. Also I have to say all this kickstarter exclusive poo poo is really dumb. Why are you releasing the full version of the game to only a limited amount of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

ChiTownEddie posted:

Plans....have changed.

This. Company's plans evolve over time based on the performance of their products. They probably didn't have plans to add anything to Avalon, but if it's done incredibly well for them and there is demand for it...then they're completely in their rights to start a plan for it.