Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
LI Joe has a pretty comprehensive breakdown of the SFV gameplay from CapCup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVeKxgZReGo

Personally I definitely don't like the normals doing grey damage.

It seems like block string>guard break>combo would be pretty strong unless the blocked hits contributed to combo scaling.

Also if people would prefer this discussion can move to the general FG thread or some other thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Static Rook posted:

I didn't see the complete pack so I wasted my extra PSN bux on other stuff. Now I'll have to wait until Friday to buy the lovely animal costumes. The shame...

I'm kinda liking Oni right now. He's got a weird mix of poo poo from the other Shotos plus an air version of Raging Demon. 13 year old me would think he looks badass, too. Between Oni and Gouken I like the Shoto-spinoffs. Any good Oni players I should look up? I know Sanford would play him at NLBC sometimes.

Also, any good Oni costumes I should pick up? I've got the full vacation pack, and will be getting the wild pack so anything from the older versions worth getting? Anything that makes him look silly is a plus.

You should look up footage of OverMostHeads (OMH) and Wao

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Pretty sure Wao stopped playing altogether because he was super salty about delayed wakeup and he started doing considerably worse after the one Topanga League.

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis
delayed wakeup is honestly my favorite change in Ultra, got a bit tiring seeing the same jump-in setups all the time

khorma
Jun 23, 2011
I don't like it at all because I liked getting strong pressure from a knockdown. Even with delayed wakeup though Ibuki still gets ridiculous poo poo off neckbreaker and characters can still go ham off soft knockdowns

I don't miss getting unblockable looped to death though so I think it would have been best if they just fixed those, instead of killing my beloved Ryu safejump.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW
Bought the shadaloo pack. The balrog costume is pretty sick, sadly its not like a full on bull which I thought it was at first. He still looks good in the bull outfit though.

The vega outfit is really something else he has a stinger butt ontop of the mask and wings so its a little more elaborate than I originally thought. I like it though.

Looked at sagat which really is nightmare fuel, bison looks pretty sweet. Havent tried seth yet I like his robot mode too much.

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
I wonder if Omega is the way they're thinking of going for SFV. Lots of auto-comboing and some pretty insane input shortcuts (you can tack Ibuki's super onto a medium kick Kazegiri by doing another forward half-circle and hitting.... medium kick).

I don't mind honestly, I think more of my friends would try to play it if they were able to combo more consistently. Also, I'm bad.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Chocobo posted:

I wonder if Omega is the way they're thinking of going for SFV. Lots of auto-comboing and some pretty insane input shortcuts (you can tack Ibuki's super onto a medium kick Kazegiri by doing another forward half-circle and hitting.... medium kick).

I don't mind honestly, I think more of my friends would try to play it if they were able to combo more consistently. Also, I'm bad.

They've removed the 323 dp shortcut, but that might be for the best.

Faster walk and forward dash speeds, stronger throws and buffering normal input for easier links (I'm bad) are all neat changes that I'd like to see in SF5.

Foodahn
Oct 5, 2006

Pillbug
They also removed the 636 DP shortcut for some characters in omega mode, I can't see any rhyme or reason why some characters have it and some don't.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhQAR8rm9eI

Fairly useful video breaking down an easy way to practice your frame traps for various knockdowns. I still really suck at properly frame trapping so this is something I'll be trying out myself pretty soon.

He doesn't mention it in the video but it's implied obviously that you should record a delayed tech attempt and practice frame trapping that too, since that's gonna require different timing.

Waynebo
May 18, 2004

Look at that subtle off-white coloring.
The tasteful thickness of it.
Oh my god. It even has a watermark.

Trykt posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhQAR8rm9eI

Fairly useful video breaking down an easy way to practice your frame traps for various knockdowns. I still really suck at properly frame trapping so this is something I'll be trying out myself pretty soon.

He doesn't mention it in the video but it's implied obviously that you should record a delayed tech attempt and practice frame trapping that too, since that's gonna require different timing.

Why do Yun, Yang, Cody, Guy, Bison, and Chun-li have 3 frame crouch-techs? Is that because of c.lk startup?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Waynebo posted:

Why do Yun, Yang, Cody, Guy, Bison, and Chun-li have 3 frame crouch-techs? Is that because of c.lk startup?

Yes.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

:eyepop:

cams
Mar 28, 2003

That Yun bot is still running around on Steam, under the name "Avatar" now. Managed to win a round by tricking it into dive kicking when I can upspike as Decapre, but couldn't keep it going the whole time. Ugh.

Mister Blueberry
Feb 17, 2010

Mike, Steve, what the hell
I've been playing Deejay this couple of days and I must say that ex upkicks hitting crouchers is loving awesome. I've been winning a lot more because I can play footsies with lk. sobat as well, instead of just staying in sweep range and getting destroyed by every normal there is. Being able to stay in that range makes his gameplan better, since he can kneehop fireballs, sr. mk sweep the opponent and apply some kind of pressure.
Bad matchups stay bad (Blanka, Vega, Rose, Dhalsim, Guile stay on 3-7 ugh), but the shoto matchups that shifted from 5-5s to 4-6s or worse in Ultra are back to where they were before. He needs more stuff to get better or even viable at high level, but at my lovely level, I can at least hope to win now instead of not knowing what the gently caress to do in footsie range or on wakeup.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
if i lose to a wakeup ultra it doesnt count right

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

you've only owned yourself again by telling us all about it :cmon:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

it counts double for not knowing it was coming

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

SFV preorder is up on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...campaign=buffer

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
never preorder games

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I just noticed.

Ryu's gi looks incredibly filthy. Is this the Power of PlayStation™?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The dude's homeless and if this game takes place after 3 then he's hanging out with that old dude who doesn't wear underwear so I'm sure he doesn't bathe.

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky

Policenaut posted:

The dude's homeless and if this game takes place after 3 then he's hanging out with that old dude who doesn't wear underwear so I'm sure he doesn't bathe.

The Marn Ultimatum

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The answer lies in the fart of battle.

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis
this is further reason why beard-Ryu should be a thing, like really do you think he's gonna take the time to shave

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
No see he's a homeless wanderer, not a filthy hobo. Washing in rivers can only do so much. Also, he hadokens his beard off.

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky
he should have a beart and dread locks and a tattoo of a goat devil

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aUkzNBZbMc

ignoring both of them being high as gently caress in this video, what's the app that gootecks pulls out

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.

flatluigi posted:

ignoring both of them being high as gently caress in this video, what's the app that gootecks pulls out

It's FA Tool and it's pretty neat. Android iOS I just wish there was a way to import notes because I hate typing on my phone.

While I'm in here I guess, I'd appreciate any help with these two matchups:
Anyone have some general tips for playing against Poison as Balrog? I've been trying to stay patient and walk her to the corner and use the usual fireball evasion stuff when they want to play keepaway but she's just giving me a ton of grief with her normals to keep me out even if I do start to close the gap.

Also just started picking up Makoto and vs Rose, is this matchup as bad as it feels? It feels pretty bad :v: It doesn't help that I don't have IA Tsurugi quite down and I'm still learning to use all her buttons right but I'm not sure how to get through Rose's wall of normals or deal with her spiral pressure. And should I use W Ultra for this one or is it better to just go straight U2? Already working through the Rindoukan Bible but any non-Rose specific general Makoto protips not covered there would be welcome as well.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

flatluigi posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aUkzNBZbMc

they are incredibly high in the videos. I think Mike Ross put some Visine after the first video because god drat his eyes were bloodshot

a!n
Apr 26, 2013

jebeebus posted:

this is further reason why beard-Ryu should be a thing, like really do you think he's gonna take the time to shave

Asian people only grow beards once they become kung fu masters.

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005

WuChou posted:

It's FA Tool and it's pretty neat. Android iOS I just wish there was a way to import notes because I hate typing on my phone.

While I'm in here I guess, I'd appreciate any help with these two matchups:
Anyone have some general tips for playing against Poison as Balrog? I've been trying to stay patient and walk her to the corner and use the usual fireball evasion stuff when they want to play keepaway but she's just giving me a ton of grief with her normals to keep me out even if I do start to close the gap.

Also just started picking up Makoto and vs Rose, is this matchup as bad as it feels? It feels pretty bad :v: It doesn't help that I don't have IA Tsurugi quite down and I'm still learning to use all her buttons right but I'm not sure how to get through Rose's wall of normals or deal with her spiral pressure. And should I use W Ultra for this one or is it better to just go straight U2? Already working through the Rindoukan Bible but any non-Rose specific general Makoto protips not covered there would be welcome as well.

At certain spaces, Rose's Soul Spiral is not a true block string and you can mash Ultra 1 to get out of it. Grabbing Rose on her wake up is a good idea since she can only tech, back dash, neutral jump, to beat it. Chasing down back dash with EX Hayate is good too. Makoto's standing roundhouse can beat Rose's crouching mp at far ish spaces. Makoto's crouch light kick and beat her slide (I think) if you tap Rose's toes with it.

The matchup feels pretty rough, just gotta be patient and try not to press buttons after blocking Rose's slide.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Looks like there's some more improvements happening to the PC netcode: http://steamcommunity.com/app/45760/discussions/0/620700960207424207/

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

flatluigi posted:

Looks like there's some more improvements happening to the PC netcode: http://steamcommunity.com/app/45760/discussions/0/620700960207424207/

I want to believe.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Stupid question: this worth the 18 bucks it currently is on Steam? I'm old so I don't know how much I'd be playing online, but I used to play Alpha/the Versus series when arcades were actually a thing. Odds are I'd be doing offline stuff the most.

Mio Bison
Dec 14, 2005

violence is who I am, loser
Rather than "improvements to the PC netcode" Capcom's pointing the finger at Valve saying all the problems are because Steamworks is woefully unoptimized for P2P and shits the bed when the client opens up a lot of P2P connections through the API. Notionally Valve has some fixes for this in the latest Steam beta and throttling your incoming pings per minute helps but you're still dependent on whoever you're matched up with opting into the beta/throttling pings as well (unless you play in private lobbies which work fine as always).

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Sarchasm posted:

I want to believe.

Looks like the improvements that they called "recent" were in a beta from October and are probably already rolled into the main client by now so it's another post hoping to get some placebo effect going.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

C. Everett Koop posted:

Stupid question: this worth the 18 bucks it currently is on Steam? I'm old so I don't know how much I'd be playing online, but I used to play Alpha/the Versus series when arcades were actually a thing. Odds are I'd be doing offline stuff the most.

If you have friends to play with locally, then yes. If you're going to be trying to play it solo, no.

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.

magicalmako posted:

At certain spaces, Rose's Soul Spiral is not a true block string and you can mash Ultra 1 to get out of it. Grabbing Rose on her wake up is a good idea since she can only tech, back dash, neutral jump, to beat it. Chasing down back dash with EX Hayate is good too. Makoto's standing roundhouse can beat Rose's crouching mp at far ish spaces. Makoto's crouch light kick and beat her slide (I think) if you tap Rose's toes with it.

The matchup feels pretty rough, just gotta be patient and try not to press buttons after blocking Rose's slide.

Cool, thanks. I'll try to put these into practice and see how it goes. Will have to poke around in training and find the spacing for interrupting spiral strings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I recieved USF4 for Christmas on Steam

I'm terrible at fighting games but I'm ready to proceed on the quest to "get good" as they say on the streets.

Other than the tutorials in the OP, what should I know about playing Cody cause I'm petty sure I want to main him

• Locked thread