Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

ded posted:

Cuba would have a huge economic boom if we re-established ties and opened up trade & travel there.
In the long run, but in the short-term I don't think much will change on the trade front. Cuba's main exports are sugar, tobacco, nickel, hard liquor and oil. Problem for Havana is that the U.S. govt heavily subsidizes the sugar industry and is moving away from dependence on foreign oil. That leaves nickel, tobacco and liquor.

Thing a lot of people don't know: The U.S. is one of Cuba's largest trading partners. But it's all U.S. food going in to keep the island from starving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

Sony pussed out on releasing The Interview.

Someone inside Sony Pictures should leak it and see how many seeders they can get going.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
There's plenty of "free speech died today" comments on the internet regarding Sony pulling the movie from release. I don't think those people understand what free speech applies to, but OK.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

This poo poo is why the terrorists win.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I guess Sony pussed out because major theater chains turned into babies about the hacker threats. Maybe we'll still get digital distribution down the road? The movie's gotta see the light of day somehow, and with the ridiculous amount of exposure it's getting they'll make a killing no matter how it gets released or many sleazy e-mails get exposed.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

holocaust bloopers posted:

There's plenty of "free speech died today" comments on the internet regarding Sony pulling the movie from release. I don't think those people understand what free speech applies to, but OK.

Well considering it definitely was the Norks, so say the FBI (an announcement could come as early as tomorrow apparently) it's slightly different then a private corporation making a call. I think its more the generally concept about being able to make a movie and not have a pudgy little bastard use something that is a borderline act of war (depends how you view a cyber attack from one nation state on a non nation state) to prevent its release.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-has-concluded-north-korea-is-behind-sony-hack-1418861023

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 18, 2014

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yea the FBI might have something credible to back this up. I didn't think this was Sony's decision.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

The fact that the embargo against Cuba has lasted 50+ years is ridiculous.

Furiously masturbating over the purported superiority of the Cuban government is also ridiculous. Where did these people post before D&D?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Furiously masturbating over the purported superiority of the Cuban government is also ridiculous. Where did these people post before D&D?

Hahaha, wait, is this happening right now in D&D?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

holocaust bloopers posted:

Yea the FBI might have something credible to back this up. I didn't think this was Sony's decision.

That said I do think Sony wants the movie to go away at this point. Interestingly I think their current stance might actually get more people wanting to see it, some of if only to piss off Big uns.

If anything it cements him as an unstable whack job who exposed the core of his countries (only) elite special forces that doesn't fight with pointy sticks to the world to study in detail and counter balance. It also makes his dad of all people seem less petty as at least his idea of terrorism was trying to murder the entire ROK leadership at a funereal one time. I mean it's not like they stole money or goods. This is literally just "gently caress you don't make fun of me."

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

ManMythLegend posted:

Hahaha, wait, is this happening right now in D&D?

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Fidel Castro visited one of the UMAP camps incognito to experience the treatment for himself. He was followed by 100 boys from the Young Communist League whose identity was also kept secret. In 1968, shortly after these visits, the camps closed. Castro said, "They weren't units of internment or punishment.... However, after a visit I discovered the distortion in some places, of the original idea, because you can't deny that there were prejudices against homosexuals. I personally started a review of this matter. Those units only lasted three years."

V. Illych L. posted:

Hahaha Fidel is the worst boogeyman

"Draconian labour camps! Yes!"

*three years pass*
"Ah, hell, my heart just isn't in it, abolish that poo poo"

as authoritarian rulers go, he's one of the best

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Homosexual sex was illegal in parts of the US until 2003. Cuba legalized it in 1979.

I think at least one of them is just whitenoise trolling, though.

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Well, there were about 50 political prisoners but apparently Cuba released them all today. Certainly there is still censorship and it's an authoritarian state, but that's never stopped the US being buds with China or Vietnam or Saudi Arabia or etc

Plastic_Gargoyle fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 18, 2014

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Jesus loving Christ.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

:stare:

Arc light everything.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

gfanikf posted:

If anything it cements him as an unstable whack job who exposed the core of his countries (only) elite special forces that doesn't fight with pointy sticks to the world to study in detail and counter balance. It also makes his dad of all people seem less petty as at least his idea of terrorism was trying to murder the entire ROK leadership at a funereal one time. I mean it's not like they stole money or goods. This is literally just "gently caress you don't make fun of me."

I dunno man, I think Kim Young'un would have enjoyed The Interview. Sometimes it just seems like he doesn't give a gently caress about anything as long as there's cake.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kazinsal posted:

I dunno man, I think Kim Young'un would have enjoyed The Interview. Sometimes it just seems like he doesn't give a gently caress about anything as long as there's cake.

Nah, his dad was more the movie buff. Actually you can find his dads "thesis" he wrote on amazon of all places. :lol:

Dudes Godzilla knockoff film he made with a kidnapped crew loving sucked though.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I miss KJI. He was the wackiest brutal dictator. His son is just a plus-sized, colossal piece of poo poo.

re: North Korean hackers. So one of the problems with current US and NATO policy is that there's a very vague and not very well-defined definition of whether or not a cyber attack constitutes an act of war. When used in the form of espionage (military or industrial), it is not. If, however, a nation-state actor were to, say, use one to disable or destroy critical infrastructure, it could be considered one. Something similar to the Stuxnet attack, for example, could have been classified as a hostile act. Of course, the big problem here is attribution, which can be incredibly difficult, if not impossible.

psydude fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 18, 2014

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

Sudan has calmed down quite a bit theres some serious deals to be had touring Darfur

lol as long as you avoid that new country to the south.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

iyaayas01 posted:

lol as long as you avoid that new country to the south.

But the President always wears such sweet hats.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Also Marxgoons upset at normalization as it means Cuba will start liberalizing its economy. Meaning people will be allowed to buy and sell things without permission from the government. Shock horror.

gfanikf posted:

:stare:

Arc light everything.
They like to debate what Cuba did in the 1960s because it's up for debate and post-hoc rationalization. It distracts from the fact that Cuba is a rotten, totalitarian hole in the ground right now. There's an enclosed tourist-resort Cuba and there's the Cuba-for-Cubans everything else that looks as if a capricious and destructive 11-year-old played Tropico for a few hours after a bad day at school.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Omi-Polari posted:

Also Marxgoons upset at normalization as it means Cuba will start liberalizing its economy. Meaning people will be allowed to buy and sell things without permission from the government. Shock horror.

I know a lot of Internet Internationale types who are genuinely upset at this precisely because it might mean Cuba is sullied by capitalism.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Soylent Pudding posted:

I know a lot of Internet Internationale types who are genuinely upset at this precisely because it might mean Cuba is sullied by capitalism.

I'm fully looking forward to it, if anything this marks the first step on the road to new highly dependent and pro American client state.

Just wish Hugo was still alive...so this would have killed him instead.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Mittens the Kitten Tweeted posted:

@SonyPictures don’t cave, fight: release @TheInterview free online globally. Ask viewers for voluntary $5 contribution to fight #Ebola.

https://twitter.com/MittRomney/status/545379913772302336

Is this real life?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Hahaha

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yeah, I saw that...and well I don't recall what happened, but next thing I noticed 5 minutes were missing.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

You act like Marco Rubio is going to do anything that isn't going to score him points with Republican primary voters.

He has to know that this is going to be a positive for Cuba and yet he toes the party line anyway. Marco "Superstar of the Republicans" Rubio can go gently caress himself and take Ted Cruz with him. Chuck Schumer can tag along even though he's from the other party because gently caress him, too.

Casimir Radon posted:

At one theater in Texas in the original Interview premiere time slot, Team America will be shown instead. America gently caress Yeah instead of Seth Rogen is a net win if I've ever seen one at the movies.

quote:

"We’re just trying to make the best of an unfortunate situation," James Wallace, creative manager and programmer at the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema’s Dallas/Fort Worth location, tells The Hollywood Reporter.

e- https://www.yahoo.com/movies/texas-theater-to-show-team-america-in-place-of-105491244997.html

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Dec 18, 2014

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
That's the Alamo, which is a great theatre.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I would like to thank Best Korea for saving us from another Seth Rogan movie.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Soylent Pudding posted:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

CBJSprague24 posted:

At one theater in Texas in the original Interview premiere time slot, Team America will be shown instead. America gently caress Yeah instead of Seth Rogen is a net win if I've ever seen one at the movies.

e- https://www.yahoo.com/movies/texas-theater-to-show-team-america-in-place-of-105491244997.html
gently caress yeah, let's chalk this one up as a win.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
Kim Jong Un threatened to bomb Austin, Texas at one point. As an Air Force trained intel analyst, here is my theory: Kim Jong Il was a huge film buff. He even went so far as to kidnap a Japanese filmmaker to make a movie for him. Austin Texas is home of South by Southwest, a major indie film fest. Kim Jong Il submitted one of his movies to SXSW for consideration before he died, but it was rejected. Kim Jong Un (aka Baby Huey) swears revenge on Austin Texas.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

that movie was transformers: age of extinction

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria!

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

ManMythLegend posted:

Yeah, I know the ALABAMA's AOR, but the only thing Djibouti has going for it over other ports in the area is the high prevelance of HIV if you're a bug chaser.

It depends on the run. If your next port is say Pakistan, followed by shithole India and Jeddah Djibouti looks like Eden.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
How about we just let the dot heads and pakis nuke each other, then let the chinks pick up the pieces to help pay off our debt?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Soylent Pudding posted:

I call Jason Segel "Other Seth Rogen" because I can't remember (nor do I care to because he also sucks) his name.

I'd really be confused if I didn't learn Jonah Hill's name thanks to Allen Gregory a few years ago. Jesus Christ, that show was awful.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

lightpole posted:

It depends on the run. If your next port is say Pakistan, followed by shithole India and Jeddah Djibouti looks like Eden.

That is a good point.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
I thought Seth Rogan and Jonah Hill were the same person.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALYw9eJ_jf0

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
Best Korea has best death scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I have to admit, a movie with "assassinate a named, sitting head of state" as a plot point seems pretty out there.

• Locked thread