Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsuru
May 12, 2008
TIFS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Hey Nebakanezzer, you posted this thing a couple weeks ago. What is it?

He-111's photo being taken by another He-111 (you can see the reflection of the plane taking the photo in the upper bubble canopy).

brains
May 12, 2004

the fact that this is open canopy is the icing on the cake

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Generation Internet posted:

German He-111 or some post-war Spanish licence built copy.

Gracias/Danke

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The pictures on the ground are one thing, but the one of it flying? It's too much! It's like a cartoony sidescroller gradius clone, starring a Dumbo octopus. I'd say it shouldn't fly, but it resembles one of my favourite paper airplanes to build

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It looks like a Gronckle from How to Train your Dragon.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I have a worrying urge to build one

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

simplefish posted:

I can see why people would like the constellation but I don't

You are just plain wrong about V bombers. They aren't necessarily pretty but Ugly is a word that doesn't apply.

Regardless of your opinion of the constellation's looks, it is orders of magnitude more interesting than a 777. I mean, he might as well have made a 1:4 scale Camry or a washing machine.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Someone say cool misshapen planes?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

FAT CURES MUSCLES posted:

You might mistake that thing up front for a pitot tube, but my guess is the Marines wanted to one-up the notion of CAS by actually *spearing* people with it when they ran out of ammo.

Also, the chaingun turret under that thing is bad rear end.

Speaking of lightweight prop attack planes, here, have a militarized Russian Long-EZ:

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Dec 17, 2014

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

The Bronco was the good looking one in that competition, the Convair Charger was a freak. No really, those are all the wings there are. There were some mockups with a sweet inverted V tail, but I think the flat tail is the only one that flew.

Willard, Martin Collection _000098
by San Diego Air & Space Museum Archives, on Flickr

This is part of a set of really cool behind-the-scenes shots, the San Diego Air and Space Museum has a really good digital library up. Bunch of stuff from Ryan, and Convair.

Another cool one from their collection. The Jeep Carrier USS Barnes with a bunch of captured Japanese aircraft being transported back home for eval.

Captured Japanese ac 013

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 17, 2014

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

A couple of these have had an interesting second career as fire scouts.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Linedance posted:

The pictures on the ground are one thing, but the one of it flying? It's too much! It's like a cartoony sidescroller gradius clone, starring a Dumbo octopus. I'd say it shouldn't fly, but it resembles one of my favourite paper airplanes to build

I can do you one better than just a picture of the Stipa-Caproni flying:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYqr2h_xQRk

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

MrChips posted:

I can do you one better than just a picture of the Stipa-Caproni flying:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYqr2h_xQRk

Ho-lee-poo poo

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
♫ Jingle Bells, Jet-A Smells, BUFF went and dropped an egg looks like a wang... ♫

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Dec 17, 2014

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Duke Chin posted:

♫ Jingle Bells, Jet-A Smells, BUFF went and dropped an egg... ♫

Big
Ugly
Fuschia
Foreskin

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Came across some emergency landing videos that I hadn't seen before, might be new to you as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94IURXCoY5A

quote:

This unfortuante event happened to a friend of mine. He allowed me to upload the footage and here is what he had to say, "Three high definition cameras were mounted to my Beechcraft Bonanza when the engine quit on takeoff from Fairbanks Alaska on July 26th 2012, One was pointed forward, one to the right side, and one to the rear. All three cameras caught the crash as it happened in HD. Both people on board survived with only minor injuries, but the airplane didn't.

The airplane was beautiful and well maintained with a brand new engine that suddenly quit about 200 feet above the ground. There was 22 seconds from the time of engine failure to impact. NTSB has not yet determined the cause of the crash and the engine has been successfully ran on a test stand. The engine quit without warning, no power surge, no hesitation, no advance sign of trouble at all. I had not previously had any signs of any issues with my airframe or engine.

If you watch closely you'll notice that after the engine failure I initially began a slight left turn thinking the road would be a good place to land because of obstructions elsewhere. Within a second or so I saw power lines beside the road and turned right to avoid a pistol range and a derelict DC-6 that was straight ahead.

From the last annual I knew the landing gear extension time was 12 seconds so I decided to leave it retracted since I didn't want to touch down with the gear in transition. I touched down as slowly as possible, just above a stall with the nose just slightly high. Any higher and the fuselage could have slapped down hard causing greater injuries to the spine and any lower the speed would have been higher and cause more frontal damage which could have shoved the yoke back into my chest more than it did."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myILKfQG364

quote:

This video was shot on Dec 14th,2010 after a hydraulic line failure in our 404 Titan forced us to make an emergency landing with the gear up. The emergency blow down bottle had a valve malfunction as well so there was no option available from that point on other than to find a place to sit it down. At the end of the slide down the runway there was a small fire on-board which I extinguished before exiting the aircraft with my crew member closely on my six . I'd like to send my thanks out to my crew member, the engineers in Wichita and to the ground crew mechanics at Mountain Home Airport in Arkansas for their assistance in relaying the communications with the engineers at Cessna, and for their mechanical knowledge that they shared with us during this unusual situation we found ourselves in. Here's the link to the KY3 TV news station for an outside view of what was going on.
Since posting this video it's been pirated by everyone imaginable so this is the real footage that I shot inside while this incident was taking place real time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk33A-yXa34

quote:

This is Cessna 208 Caravan that was upgraded from the stock PT-6 to the PT-6A, which adds an additional 75hp. Upon factory analysis of the engine, it was concluded that the problem started in the accessory drive gearbox. Metal from the gearbox passed through the compressor and free turbines, destroying several of the blades and ultimately causing catastrophic engine failure. So much metal shot through this engine that even the exhaust was beat all to hell and had to be replaced. I landed the plane with over 450 lbs of fuel and the oil level was within normal operating range. This wasn't the only PT-6A engine failure this year. There were at least five others. As pilots, we were always taught that the Pratt & Whitney turbines are bullet-proof. This video is evidence that they are not. But, in the defense of the reliability of the these engines, they probably take more abuse in skydiving aircraft than any other application imaginable. Maximum performance take-offs, climbs, and descents every 20 minutes, along with numerous daily starts, can't be conducive to a long life for any engine. I am going to keep flying, though, because that's what I love. Every emergency we have in the air just gets us further prepared for the next one, because the next one is eventually coming. Flying is definitely worth any risk attached to it.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Platystemon posted:

The Bartini Beriev VVA‒14 is the ugliest plane. This is not negotiable. :colbert:

These are its better angles:

do you wanna go mate

dont you dare shittalk my vva-14.

e:

dubzee posted:

Nope, Bartini kinda rules, you're close tho. The ugliest plane is russian and wore the aeroflot logo:

PZL M-15 Belphegor, a jet-powered crop dusting biplane.

edit: google street view

MrYenko posted:

Probably part of the reason it was an abject failure.

No discussion about ugly airplanes is complete without mentioning the Transavia PL-12 Airtruk:

Which was derived from the Bennett Airtruk:

Which itself was derived from the mother-derp, the Kingsford Smith PL.7:

DEEERRRRPPPP

Yalls triggering me hard. Jesus gently caress those are some ugly planes.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You might mistake that thing up front for a pitot tube, but my guess is the Marines wanted to one-up the notion of CAS by actually *spearing* people with it when they ran out of ammo.

Speaking of lightweight prop attack planes, here, have a militarized Russian Long-EZ:

This, on the other hand, is literally the best plane.

marumaru fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Dec 17, 2014

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Linedance posted:

Ho-lee-poo poo

big

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I mean, it looks ungainly, but when you think about it it's really just a very early concept of a ducted fan. It was ahead of its time, really. :downs:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Fucknag posted:

I mean, it looks ungainly, but when you think about it it's really just a very early concept of a ducted fan. It was ahead of its time, really. :downs:

Your right. Needs to be made into a giant ramjet.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

A bit of turbulence: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V21eV22fYxI

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Inacio posted:

This, on the other hand, is literally the best plane.

It kinda reminds me of the little jet inside the Cobra Terror Drome.

Man, I had some cool as GI Joe jets when I was a kid. 38 year old me kinda wishes I still had em. :(

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Duke Chin posted:

It kinda reminds me of the little jet inside the Cobra Terror Drome.

Man, I had some cool as GI Joe jets when I was a kid. 38 year old me kinda wishes I still had em. :(

The only GI Joe jet(s?) that mattered:

:colbert:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

MrYenko posted:

:hfive:
Had that one, the gray tailed Skystriker, The Rattler, and the (firebat?) posted above. :sigh:

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I dunno, I kind of liked that one with the wings that flipped to make it a VTOL.

E: Also that weird A-10 mutant.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So what are the advantages of a ducted fan design? Aside from making observers doubt their own sanity.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nebakenezzer posted:

So what are the advantages of a ducted fan design? Aside from making observers doubt their own sanity.

They're generally quieter, slightly more efficient at high RPM/high-load/low relative wind velocity, and can run at a much higher RPM than an equivalent-diameter un-ducted propeller, but they also require very specific aerodynamic design, and the additional structure can make them gently caress-off heavy, compared to a conventional propeller, depending on the details of their installation/use. Turbofan engines are the most common use for ducted fans, but you also see them anywhere you need a small diameter propulsion unit, since for the same static thrust, they can be of dramatically smaller diameter than a prop, like fenestron tail rotors, blimp/airship propulsion, etc.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

MrYenko posted:

Probably part of the reason it was an abject failure.

No discussion about ugly airplanes is complete without mentioning the Transavia PL-12 Airtruk:

Forever in my mind as the Mad Max aeroplane

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I wanna touch it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

MrYenko posted:

What?

Swing wings, man. Swing wings.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/12/17/us-britain-airplane-unitedairlines-idUSKBN0JV1E120141217

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

MrYenko posted:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

http://www.iflscience.com/technology/plane-will-take-you-anywhere-world-4-hours

loving sensationalist headlines

e:

This was the loving thumbnail, I was wondering why I had never heard of it

Medicinal Penguin
May 19, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Holy poo poo, it's like someone weaponized a Beechcraft Starship

Boomerjinks
Jan 31, 2007

DINO DAMAGE
Sweet! That will help for the longer trips that my flying car that Popular Mechanics has promised every 16 months for the last 40 years can't handle.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
[/GIJoe chat]
Air & Space 2014 pics contest: http://www.airspacemag.com/multimedia/2014-photo-contest-finalists-180953581/ There's some good snaps in here - these were probably my faves:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
http://m.scmp.com/news/china/article/1663201/chinese-man-opens-planes-emergency-door-fresh-air-take

:laugh: is this real

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I was always partial to this, and it's too bad we never got the X-29 with a shark mouth in real life:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Slo-Tek posted:

The Bronco was the good looking one in that competition, the Convair Charger was a freak. No really, those are all the wings there are. There were some mockups with a sweet inverted V tail, but I think the flat tail is the only one that flew.

Willard, Martin Collection _000098

The Charger held to the original L2VMA concept to be able to operate off of a literal road (hence the 30' wide span). NA said gently caress it and went with 40' , which turned out not to matter since DoD kept to the 40' requirement in the LARA competition.