Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
What about this star citizen game I've been hearing so much about :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Equine Don posted:

What about this star citizen game I've been hearing so much about :D

Go to a craps table and drop your life savings on black. Then walk away before the ball stops moving.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Elite is a pretty good game if you want to fly around and shoot poo poo/haul potatoes in space. That said, its a mile wide and about an inch deep where the only goals that exist are the ones that you make for yourself. If you're interested in space games give it a go as it is literally the best on the market.

honestly i was pretty blown away by the docking procedures, sure it's not REALLY that much more complicated than 'go here click the beacon' but it was a really nice touch

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
The launching/docking stuff is extremely easy. The developers done a great job of making everything accessible. With that being said, I finished the tutorials, started a game, and have no idea what to do next.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

get money gently caress bitches

what game mode should i be on anyway? open or solo?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I play solo because hell is other people.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Haha this game owns. I got a quest to go to Eravate and deliver a note or something for like 15000 credits and went sweet that sounds easy enough. I'm doing over 1000 C and it's still gonna take over a day to get there. Owns.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Is it in another system because you can just jump there

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

wait what

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Lock your destination in via the left window, point at blue dot on hud, hit J and away you go

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
What do I do after leaving the very first station? Are there quests around?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I found a quest there. Though I think it starts you all off in random systems. Jump on the system map, take a look at imports/exports, start your first trade route, get money.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

If you're interested in space games give it a go as it is literally the best on the market.

not sure how you can put this out there with a straight face when tie fighter exists

bitch

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Two Finger posted:

Haha this game owns. I got a quest to go to Eravate and deliver a note or something for like 15000 credits and went sweet that sounds easy enough. I'm doing over 1000 C and it's still gonna take over a day to get there. Owns.

lmao

e: also Elite is a p great space game. But it's just that. It's not some interactive space opera bullshit and it's never been advertised as such. Just a game where you do whatever you want in the framework provided, including ruining other people's days or whatever it is you want to do. The universe is yours, future is now, etc.

krispykremessuck fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Dec 18, 2014

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

not sure how you can put this out there with a straight face when tie fighter exists
bitch

Freespace 2

bitch

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer

Bolow posted:

Freespace 2

bitch

better check yourself bitch, this is tie fighter territory

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Bitches, calm yourselves.

We all know that X3 represents the pinnacle of space sperg. Recognize.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I've played the other two but not X3, is it on steam

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

The best openworld sandbox space game is Independence War 2.

Two Finger posted:

I've played the other two but not X3, is it on steam

Yes, you want at least X3: Terran Conflict, Albion Prelude as well if you like it. It goes on sale all the time and it's like $4 for all of the X games

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Ya Elite is like Skryim in Space but with zero plot. It's definitely a make your own fun game.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

This is going way back to my childhood, but did anyone play a dos game called High Seas Trader? It was similar to Pirates in a lot of ways, but fleshed out the economic side of things and stripped out the raiding ports.
Elite feels very very similar to that, which is a good thing.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
In space, no one can hear you suck my dick from the back

seriously q: How does E:D play with a mouse and key board?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

elite_garbage_man posted:

In space, no one can hear you suck my dick from the back

seriously q: How does E:D play with a mouse and key board?

It's fine. I'm using an Xbox One controller, and that works well too.

Where the gently caress is tea? I need to buy tea for space nobles.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
Judging from the Elite tutorials, AI wingmen are absolutely worthless.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

The AI is worthless in general.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
So would anybody be down for being GIP in spaceships? Basically being welfare queens with anger issues ganking poo poo from other people? Is that even possible?

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

Godholio posted:

So would anybody be down for being GIP in spaceships? Basically being welfare queens with anger issues ganking poo poo from other people? Is that even possible?

It's possible. Limited returns though, the best people to gank are carebears and they're [rightfully] playing solo. So the people playing in open are going to be people trying to do the same thing, and people that like the thrill of trying to stay half-aligned off a rock they're shooting so they can boost up and jump to SC instantly. Or they'll auger so far into the depths of space that you'll never find them.

At least with gamma the grouping aspect was still kind of hosed up. No idea if they've made it easier to coordinate poo poo in release.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Finals are done, installing overnight... totally gonna bust out the X52 tomorrow. :hellyeah:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yea sticking together would make for a major pain in the rear end.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I'm working on system permits now. Preorder got me Sol and Shinrarta Dezhra, and I picked up permits for Sirius and Van Manaan's star through status gains. Looking for Vega missions now to boot reputation for a permit. I'd like to go to Polaris, but it's outside of inhabited space so no dice on permits. Might be one of the Thargoid systems like all the locked ones I keep finding in Nebulae.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
What are and where does one get permits?

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

I'm just doing some exploration out by Aldebaran still. I'm not in a hurry to get anywhere. Just enjoying the system scanner sound and occasionally blowing away some idiot that tried to interdict me.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Do missions for system owning factions to get your reputation up to Allied, and they offer it in the bulletin board. Like for a Sirius permit, do missions for the Sirius Corporation in Procyon.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

gently caress yes, fiber internet is the bomb diggity, already done installing!

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
I'm down for GiPSquad just being general space trucker assholes.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Is it good with a joystick?

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Equine Don posted:

Is it good with a joystick?

Yeah it's probably best played with a stick

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I bought this space trucker game because GIP was playing it. Now I just need to figure out what it is.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR
It's a space trucking game where you blow up other space truckers and sell the poo poo they were trucking for money and buy a better ship so you can blow up more space truckers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Lazy Reservist posted:

It's a space trucking game where you blow up other space truckers and sell the poo poo they were trucking for money and buy a better ship so you can blow up more space truckers.

Ok sounds good enough. Hopefully the stars look less terrible than they did in X3. I am downloading this now so we will see how things go.

edit- Do we get radio stations with lovely euro techno music like Euro Truck Simulator 2?

• Locked thread