Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Slandible posted:

I finished Wentworth and enjoyed the poo poo out of it. Soap opera-ish or not, it was entertaining as hell and I really hope there is another season.

Yeah, I have to assume there's a third season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

K. Waste posted:

That actually is a pretty apt description of what 20,000 Days on Earth makes his recording process seem like. That movie was like watching sausage being made.

Final performance of "Push the Sky Away" was still phenomenal though. Maybe it's kinda like that Wilde quote about good artists being the least interesting to actually talk to. Which reminds me that I still need to see Anvil.

I thought 20,000 Days on Earth was pretty interesting actually. It's pretty funny hearing him talk about The Birthday Party too. Reminds me of how when the Bad Seeds were playing in DC back in July, half the concertgoers were either old, crusty punks, or young nicer-dressed couples. Though some of those may have been there for the opening act too. :v:

It's not on Netflix but it's on Amazon and if you care about the guy or the band at all I think it's worth a watch.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

K. Waste posted:

That actually is a pretty apt description of what 20,000 Days on Earth makes his recording process seem like. That movie was like watching sausage being made.

Final performance of "Push the Sky Away" was still phenomenal though. Maybe it's kinda like that Wilde quote about good artists being the least interesting to actually talk to.

Jubilee Street, not Push the Sky Away. :pseudo:

Anyway, the thing with 20,000 Days on Earth that you need to keep in mind is that much of it is heavily scripted (the in-car segments with Kylie and Blixa are not, however) and it's very much a fictionalized version of Cave's life -- that bit at Warren Ellis's house where Warren tells him the Nina Simone story, for example, that's a story Ellis had told Cave probably a hundred times before, and Ellis in particular found it very difficult to act as though that were the first time he had ever related the anecdote.

Cave himself is a quite interesting person to talk to, especially now that he doesn't try to actively gently caress with interviewers anymore -- I've had phone interviews with him ... five times, each lasting an hour or more, and he's incredibly quick-witted and really quite gracious. He's hesitant to share a lot of that unless he's performing, though, which is why the book project I was a part of was ultimately scuttled, as he wanted something a little more structured, a more controlled environment (which he got with 20,000 Days on Earth).

quote:

I thought 20,000 Days on Earth was pretty interesting actually. It's pretty funny hearing him talk about The Birthday Party too. Reminds me of how when the Bad Seeds were playing in DC back in July, half the concertgoers were either old, crusty punks, or young nicer-dressed couples.

Yeah, it's a really interesting piece and it stands up to multiple re-watches. I'm really disappointed that they weren't able to get Mick Harvey involved in any way -- I know Forsyth and Pollard tried, and they had a few face-to-face meetings with him because they've been producing supplemental material for the album remasters he's been working on, but he just wanted no part of what he felt was a Cave vanity project. I appreciate that they got a Birthday Party photo of him in there, but his absence in a movie that shows the first time Nick and Blixa had met face-to-face since Blixa quit the Bad Seeds via email makes the whole thing feel a little ... incomplete. In the times I've interviewed Mick (twice in 2013, once very early this year), he's got so much venom for Cave that it's really quite sad. :(

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Finished up American Horror Story: Coven (season 3) last night. It was...OK. So many ideas and potentially interesting characters thrown out there and none of them went anywhere. It's still worth a watch it if you're a fan of the series, but it is notably weaker than the first two seasons. I'm not keeping up with the season 4 but hopefully they get back on track because I love the concept of the series.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

LogisticEarth posted:

Finished up American Horror Story: Coven (season 3) last night. It was...OK. So many ideas and potentially interesting characters thrown out there and none of them went anywhere. It's still worth a watch it if you're a fan of the series, but it is notably weaker than the first two seasons. I'm not keeping up with the season 4 but hopefully they get back on track because I love the concept of the series.

4 is by leaps and bounds worse than 3.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Timby posted:

Jubilee Street, not Push the Sky Away. :pseudo:

Eh, nuts.

quote:

Anyway, the thing with 20,000 Days on Earth that you need to keep in mind is that much of it is heavily scripted (the in-car segments with Kylie and Blixa are not, however) and it's very much a fictionalized version of Cave's life -- that bit at Warren Ellis's house where Warren tells him the Nina Simone story, for example, that's a story Ellis had told Cave probably a hundred times before, and Ellis in particular found it very difficult to act as though that were the first time he had ever related the anecdote.

Its being heavily scripted wasn't lost on me, and that anecdote with Cave having trouble 'acting' for Ellis really seems like more of the problem. Those in-car segments also nearly put me to sleep.

quote:

He's hesitant to share a lot of that unless he's performing, though, which is why the book project I was a part of was ultimately scuttled, as he wanted something a little more structured, a more controlled environment (which he got with 20,000 Days on Earth).

I totally believe this, and, again, I'm grateful for someone who liked the movie helping me to elucidate aspects of the film I didn't like, even if I still don't think it's a good movie or have any desire to re-watch it.

Basically, my ideal scenario where filmmakers go up against difficult musician/artist subjects is Jim Jarmusch's Year of the Horse. On the other hand, my ideal scenario of a musician wanting a more controlled environment to a film they're featured in - which is to say, a truly collaborative piece, whatever that means - is A Spell to Ward Off the Darkness.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

LogisticEarth posted:

It feels like the series just went with: Lets try a bit harder to appeal to the female audience. Then in the end it just feels awkward. I mean I like it, the female lead's actress is pretty good.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Dec 17, 2014

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

a worthy uhh posted:

4 is by leaps and bounds worse than 3.

Season 4 is the first time since the first couple of season 1 episodes where Murphy and Falchuk's stories don't come off as if they were manic and perma-drunk while conceiving them. Regardless of my feelings on that (I sort of like seeing what weird, seemingly poorly thought out, directions they veer off in), I think season four is much better constructed and more entertaining overall than three. Definitely more reserved and mannered than what's come before (which isn't saying much for this series), but it's AHS, so it's still dopey trash.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Timby posted:

Yeah, it's a really interesting piece and it stands up to multiple re-watches. I'm really disappointed that they weren't able to get Mick Harvey involved in any way -- I know Forsyth and Pollard tried, and they had a few face-to-face meetings with him because they've been producing supplemental material for the album remasters he's been working on, but he just wanted no part of what he felt was a Cave vanity project. I appreciate that they got a Birthday Party photo of him in there, but his absence in a movie that shows the first time Nick and Blixa had met face-to-face since Blixa quit the Bad Seeds via email makes the whole thing feel a little ... incomplete. In the times I've interviewed Mick (twice in 2013, once very early this year), he's got so much venom for Cave that it's really quite sad. :(

Yeah, that's really too bad. I knew about the stuff around Blixa before hand (but not that it was the first time they'd seen each other in years), but I had no idea that Mick Harvey hated Cave so much now. Actually, at one point I expected PJ Harvey to show up in the car too. Who was the first person he spoke to while driving? I didn't recognize him.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

EvilTobaccoExec posted:

I really, really liked Killing them Softly, and loved the juxtaposition between perception as reality in the underworld and investor confidence in the economy. Its a film I had to restart because I only half-assed watching until like halfway though the movie when I started getting genuinely curious about what it was getting at so I just restarted entirely, I really got into it then with different expectations now knowing how dialog driven everything was, certain character relationships, and themes.

I hated Killing Them Softly specifically because of the hamfisted Presidential speech excerpts sprinkled throughout the movie. It just felt like it was supposed to be babby's first "deep" film, and someone didn't have even the tiniest bit of trust in their audience.

Honestly, a scene in which two characters discuss how they need to kill a guy to restore confidence in the security of underground poker games was directly preceded by an excerpt from a speech saying we need to restore investor confidence in the economy. I mean come the gently caress on.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 17, 2014

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

NeoSeeker posted:

It feels like the series just went with: Lets try a bit harder to appeal to the female audience. Then in the end it just feels awkward. I mean I like it, the female lead's actress is pretty good.

Yeah, it wasn't so much the acting as it was just the script. Like the witch hunters are played up to be this big badass nemesis, but at every step of the way they're woefully incompetent. The coven's big play against them is to cast a spell that puts the SEC onto their company? :what: Then the hunters blindly walk into a slaughter and die without a fight. The End. And resurrection is sold as this big deal, but half the characters can do it, and it's used with next to no consequences. Same with the daughter's sight. She's blinded, then can see again, then blinded again, then can see again. Kathy Bate's character (woefully underdeveloped) is chopped up...then reassembled and essentially back to 100%. And it's not like that's novel since they did it to Mr. Not-Sure-Why-I'm-An-Important-Character undead frat boy boyfriend. Like, they waffled on everything and nothing seemed to have any consequences. It just didn't make for a good story even though the setting and characters were interesting.

Oh, and the last few episodes had several random Stevie Nicks music videos in them. For some reason.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Cognac McCarthy posted:

The director also made The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, which is one of the best movies ever made. He's Australian but his movies about American culture/society do a better job than pretty much anyone else, apparently. Assassination deals with American celebrity worship, and Killing Them Softly is a great metaphor for class in modern America.

I didn't know that he directed Chopper which I liked a bunch as well. Maybe I'll give Killing Them Softly a go despite the overall opinion in this thread.

Timby posted:

Cave himself is a quite interesting person to talk to, especially now that he doesn't try to actively gently caress with interviewers anymore -- I've had phone interviews with him ... five times, each lasting an hour or more, and he's incredibly quick-witted and really quite gracious. He's hesitant to share a lot of that unless he's performing, though, which is why the book project I was a part of was ultimately scuttled, as he wanted something a little more structured, a more controlled environment (which he got with 20,000 Days on Earth).

Why have you got to interview him so much?

I'm not a journalist or whatever, but I have this issue where I really like an artist, and (on rare occasions) when I get to meet them I can never say anything to them. But I think it would be a really fun thing to able to just have conversations with them and not seem like a fan.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:

LogisticEarth posted:

Yeah, it wasn't so much the acting as it was just the script. Like the witch hunters are played up to be this big badass nemesis, but at every step of the way they're woefully incompetent. The coven's big play against them is to cast a spell that puts the SEC onto their company? :what: Then the hunters blindly walk into a slaughter and die without a fight. The End. And resurrection is sold as this big deal, but half the characters can do it, and it's used with next to no consequences. Same with the daughter's sight. She's blinded, then can see again, then blinded again, then can see again. Kathy Bate's character (woefully underdeveloped) is chopped up...then reassembled and essentially back to 100%. And it's not like that's novel since they did it to Mr. Not-Sure-Why-I'm-An-Important-Character undead frat boy boyfriend. Like, they waffled on everything and nothing seemed to have any consequences. It just didn't make for a good story even though the setting and characters were interesting.

Oh, and the last few episodes had several random Stevie Nicks music videos in them. For some reason.

I hate myself for looking at spoilers. It's sad to hear that about bates, I absolutely love her character. Not to mention she's just a great actress. She pounds out that "disturbed matron" character to the T.

when she refers to Lange's character as "madame"... Especially considering how overtly narcissistic, "don't take no poo poo" her character is, yet still has some kind of sensibility to her. Oh god I just love her character.

Somehow it kinda felt like Asylum was the creative team "burning out" from drug use. So they decided to do an appropriate setting then went to rehab inbetween seasons.

I mean there were aliens for absolutely no reason at all. If anything sometimes when I look at this show I see one of the creators of nip/tuck going into complete loving crazy mode. Which says a lot considering how weird nip/tuck got at the end. Which also says a lot because the show is hosed to begin with.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Dec 17, 2014

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

RBA Starblade posted:

Yeah, that's really too bad. I knew about the stuff around Blixa before hand (but not that it was the first time they'd seen each other in years), but I had no idea that Mick Harvey hated Cave so much now. Actually, at one point I expected PJ Harvey to show up in the car too. Who was the first person he spoke to while driving? I didn't recognize him.

That was Ray Winstone -- that segment was just bizarre.

Anyway, going back to Mick Harvey, to hear him tell his side of the story his bitterness comes from wanting to re-arrange and re-do some of the classic songs when the band was touring (rather than the same old Red Right Hand or whatever every other night), and Cave was just vitriolic in shutting him down. He also says that he got really tired of the lack of collaboration in the studio, because it had gotten to the point that he'd just show up and bang out the albums as Cave and Ellis had arranged them and that was that. He's still very proud of his work with the band (which is why he supervised the remasters of all the Bad Seeds albums he was a part of) but he just wants nothing to do with Cave himself at all, and probably never will again.

quote:

Why have you got to interview him so much?

Through some oddities at my last job a few years ago, I had gotten involved in a project that was going to put together an actual official biography of Cave, intended to be released some time around Push the Sky Away. I wasn't going to write the book itself, but I was asked if I would be able to perform some interviews with Cave and others to establish some background for when the writer was actually selected (I just recorded them so there were no issues with transcription or tone). So we had a number of long phone conversations, and it was through that that I was able to have talks with Harvey, Blixa, and several other members of the band both current and former. Cave was already reluctant about the project but not opposed, but he wound up deciding he wanted to do 20,000 Days on Earth after Forsyth and Pollard pitched him on a semi-fictional biopic that he would write as opposed to a straight documentary. Lovely man, was very gracious about the whole thing and when we met in person last year he was very nice and apologetic, and I told him that I was simply grateful for the opportunity to have him tell me his stories. (Ellis is a bit of a cock, though.)

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

I'm wondering how he felt about his work on The Proposition. As in, I wish I could get the chance to talk to him personally :(.

Great movie by the way, if it ever comes to netflix.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

NeoSeeker posted:

I'm wondering how he felt about his work on The Proposition. As in, I wish I could get the chance to talk to him personally :(.

It was on there a while ago, unless that was just dvd only.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

JohnSherman posted:

I hated Killing Them Softly specifically because of the hamfisted Presidential speech excerpts sprinkled throughout the movie. It just felt like it was supposed to be babby's first "deep" film, and someone didn't have even the tiniest bit of trust in their audience.

Honestly, a scene in which two characters discuss how they need to kill a guy to restore confidence in the security of underground poker games was directly preceded by an excerpt from a speech saying we need to restore investor confidence in the economy. I mean come the gently caress on.

The explicit juxtaposition of imagery and scenes where didactic information is repeated doesn't really connote 'depth,' which is why I didn't find it particularly pretentious. The point is that the rhetorical relationship between the political system and organized crime is supposed to be so obvious that there's no possibility of miscommunication.

Don't get me wrong, I liked Killing Them Softly, but more as a hypothetical example of what Guy Ritchie could make if he were slightly less of a hack, but it's not, like, transcendent filmmaking or anything. But it's only one degree removed from the same media/political cynicism shown in Nightcrawler. It has its issues but pretensions of depth I don't think is one of them. It's just that its criticism isn't particularly mature or complicated and it's not pretending that it is.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Guy Ritchie

I don't like this. I can kinda tell where you're coming from but I just don't like it.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

NeoSeeker posted:

I don't like this. I can kinda tell where you're coming from but I just don't like it.

Look, we all know that Snatch is hilarious, I'm just sayin'.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
In all this Nick Cave talk I just want to say real quick that Bad Seeds and Teenage Jesus and the Jerks bandmember Jim Sclavunos did two albums as The Vanity Set and they are amazing, I would even say many of the songs are better than many Nick Cave albums. For some reason I have only ever met one person who ever listened to the band though. :iiam:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

precision posted:

In all this Nick Cave talk I just want to say real quick that Bad Seeds and Teenage Jesus and the Jerks bandmember Jim Sclavunos did two albums as The Vanity Set and they are amazing, I would even say many of the songs are better than many Nick Cave albums. For some reason I have only ever met one person who ever listened to the band though. :iiam:

My favorite Jim Sclavunos trivia fact is that he, not Bob Bert, drummed on Sonic Youth's first album.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

NeoSeeker posted:

He did a commentary for the film on the dvd. It was a bit boring, but it was pretty insightful and I enjoyed it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Devil and Daniel Johnston is on Crackle if you don't watch it I will straight up cut you.

It's one of those documentaries where you don't have to know or like anything about the guy to like the movie. In fact if you know nothing about him it probably makes it a lot better and crazier.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

precision posted:

The Devil and Daniel Johnston is on Crackle if you don't watch it I will straight up cut you.

It's one of those documentaries where you don't have to know or like anything about the guy to like the movie. In fact if you know nothing about him it probably makes it a lot better and crazier.

Great documentary. I actually met him backstage after a concert. My wife asked if she could hug him and he replied "Naw, my dad won't let me :("

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Yeah, I'm like 3 months behind the curve on this, but Compliance was a drat good movie. I didn't enjoy it, but it was good.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

DangerDummy! posted:

Yeah, I'm like 3 months behind the curve on this, but Compliance was a drat good movie. I didn't enjoy it, but it was good.

Oh poo poo, I remember hearing about this movie when it was at Sundance but I never got around to seeing it. Added to the list! Thanks for reminding me.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Feelgood movie of the year that one.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

LogisticEarth posted:

Apparently Ryan Murphy had hoped to spin Coven off into its own series which is why absolutely nothing of actual consequence happens until after they came back from break and messily introduced Papa Legba to tie everything up in the final episodes because by that point it was obvious that a spinoff wasn't going to happen.

So far season 4 is a definite step up even if it hasn't quite reached the levels of the first two seasons. I'm actually relieved that it's Jessica Lange's last season because having her play the same type of character in every season only with a different accent is really starting to hold the show back at this point.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That Bill Burr special is loving hilarious. I usually don't like really abrasive comics but Burr is too funny to ignore.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

DangerDummy! posted:

I stopped watching halfway through that one. I convinced myself that I knew where it was going and didn't need to finish it, but I'll admit I was actually just really uncomfortable. I did something similar with The Dirties pretty early on, where I just couldn't take the level of discomfort involved. Are either worth going back and finishing (I do know everything that happens in Compliance, but not The Dirties)?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I've watched the first two episodes of Marco Polo. Its not bad, but it hasn't hooked me yet. I feel completely neutral about it.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

NESguerilla posted:

That Bill Burr special is loving hilarious. I usually don't like really abrasive comics but Burr is too funny to ignore.

The Tabernacle was an awesome venue choice too

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Chainsawdomy posted:

I stopped watching halfway through that one. I convinced myself that I knew where it was going and didn't need to finish it, but I'll admit I was actually just really uncomfortable. I did something similar with The Dirties pretty early on, where I just couldn't take the level of discomfort involved. Are either worth going back and finishing (I do know everything that happens in Compliance, but not The Dirties)?

I don't make it a habit of watching stuff that bums me out because I'm baby and I let stuff effect me too much sometimes, but I really thought it was a pretty great film, it explored some truly bizarre human phenomena, and there were some legitimately good performances in it. You should finish Compliance.

Then take a shower.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Alterian posted:

I've watched the first two episodes of Marco Polo. Its not bad, but it hasn't hooked me yet. I feel completely neutral about it.

2 episodes in and feeling the same. Will keep going for now though.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

Agreed. Somehow he gets on a really high note even with darker material.

I dunno if he's sober or not. But not drinking on stage helps.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I don't normally like the "RAWR I'M SO ANGRY AND I CURSE A LOT ISN'T THAT FUNNY" comics, and I'm not even 100% a fan of Burr's poo poo, but that new special is loving golden, and a great example of doing dark humor right.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

NeoSeeker posted:

I dunno if he's sober or not. But not drinking on stage helps.

He's sober I'm pretty sure, I listen to his podcast occasionally

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Yea I don't normally like the "RAWR I'M SO ANGRY AND I CURSE A LOT ISN'T THAT FUNNY" comics, and I'm not even 100% a fan of Burr's poo poo, but that new special is loving golden, and a great example of doing dark humor right.

Yeah I watched his other specials a few years ago and when I turned the first one on, within 10 minutes I as like "nope, gently caress this guy he's obnoxious...ehhh this is really funny though. Maybe I'll finish it (queue marathoning all of them) ".

The whole bit about carrying a woman into the bedroom was one of the funniest bits I've seen. Also, honorable mentions would be the .22 calibur and the guy making "bitch noises" on the plane.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

The .22 bit was hilarious because the crowd's involvement was extremely palpable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Uh I'm like 10 minutes in and so far it's standard terrible Bill Burr poo poo. I'm probably going to hate the remaining 70 minutes, right?

• Locked thread