Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i am a fan of their meddling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

"it's a free market, fellow assholes" -saudi arabia to the world

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

as of right now the exchange rate is somewhere around 1:60 dollars:rubles, it was as bad as 1:80 yesterday

maybe the surprise middle-of-the-night 175% interest rate hike helped?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

when i was single and living in a studio i just ate at my computer desk every single night

sad :(

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

born on a buy you posted:

don't gently caress with opec

hahaha your new name is awesome

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

the addams family was also from a bayou that happened to have tons of oil afaik

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHIC1FMn-TA

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

i think u mean

same

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
i eat my computer every night :)

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Metrication posted:

i eat my computer every night :)

same but rear end

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Farecoal posted:

actually you are just a bad poster

these arent mutually exclusive though

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

a company that makes "environmentally sustainable" paper plates valuing itself at 2.5 million dolalrs

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

a company that makes "environmentally sustainable" paper plates valuing itself at 2.5 million dolalrs

I'm so desensitized to valuations that I can't get incensed for anything under ten figs

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Luigi Thirty posted:

2.5 million dollars sounds like about the value of the production facility and machinery, that doesn't sound too out of line?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

seems low if anything? assuming they are making them in house

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Luigi Thirty posted:

That doesn't sound wrong or unreasonable. Did you mean billion?

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Luigi Thirty posted:

wouldn't it be more environmentally sustainable to just make, i dunno, actual plates? that you can reuse. lmbo

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

fits my needs posted:

wouldn't it be more environmentally sustainable to just make, i dunno, actual plates? that you can reuse. lmbo

people gonna buy paper plates for their dumb parties anyway, might as well mitigate the issues

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

biodegradable disposable plates have been the hot poo poo for years now

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lol don't tell congress

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

fits my needs posted:

i'm the environmentally conscious person who protests leather and nuclear energy

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

im the plate

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
weird

we got an after-hours delivery that's hawaiian candy

big island cookies and poo poo

is that a california holiday thing or somethin

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

nuclear energy is bad, and not good.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

reminder: we dont know how bad Fukushima was, it might have been pretty bad

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

BONGHITZ posted:

the Pacific Ocean literally has cancer now

also the poison plume will reach North America any day now

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

BONGHITZ posted:

don't build nuclear energy on a fault line, or any place that might develop one

so really just tie a bunch of balloons to a nuclear energy plant and float it in the sky with the cables running down

problem solved

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

theadder posted:

im the plate

you're quite the dish!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

:rip:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

hey now, canada has oil and housing

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

computer parts posted:

hey now, canada has oil and housing

depending on where you are the housing bubble is because of the oil market.

the good 'ol one-two punch

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BONGHITZ posted:

and all it took was the biggest earthquake and tsunami to hit Japan in recorded history, which also caused a bunch of oil refineries to destroy themselves in all-consuming infernos and spread pollution everywhere

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

BONGHITZ posted:

how do we not know how bad it was? did a spill teleport somewhere else?

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

infernal machines posted:

depending on where you are the housing bubble is because of the oil market.

the good 'ol one-two punch

i'm still trying to figure out what's fueling high housing costs in southern ontario

the insurance industry? banking?

lol

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Necc0 posted:

how do we not know how bad it was? did a spill teleport somewhere else?

well we can just NEVER KNOW MAN we just CANT

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Cold on a Cob posted:

i'm still trying to figure out what's fueling high housing costs in southern ontario

the insurance industry? banking?

lol

everyone want's to live near the centre of the universe, toronto

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

VLADIMIR GLUTEN posted:

well we can just NEVER KNOW MAN we just CANT

ffs godzilla hasn't even shown up yet, let alone the giant ant men.

you just wait until they do, then maybe we'll know the extent of the damage

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

if they actually have legitimate manufacturing equipment they would be ripe for purchase by a larger manufacturer

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
paper plates that aren't treated w/ heavy plastic film are biodegradable cause its just paper and the ones that do have the plastic can be recycled w/ both the pulp and plastic reclaimed. they also make biodegradable film out of corn these days so you can use that instead of plastic.

also everyone uses recycled paper in they plates, not because its environmentally friendly, but because it can be less expensive than making the paper out of trees.

so really all paper plates are already environmentally sustainable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

December 17, 6:56pm

quote:

Amid Scrutiny, Uber Says It Will Focus More on Safety
LOS ANGELES — Uber promises to focus on rider safety amid increasing concerns that its drivers are not adequately screened for past criminal convictions.

In a blog post Wednesday, Uber's head of global safety defended the company's safety record but also wrote that "as we look to 2015, we will build new safety programs and intensify others."

December 17, 10:40pm

quote:

Massachusetts Ride-Share Driver Accused of Rape

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
CAMBRIDGE, Mass. — A Massachusetts Uber driver is accused of sexually assaulting a woman who had summoned the ride-sharing service.

Authorities say 46-year-old Alejandro Done was arraigned Wednesday in Cambridge District Court. The Boston man pleaded not guilty to charges of rape, assault to rape, kidnapping and two counts of assault and battery.

The driver allegedly told the woman that he would need a cash payment, so he took her to an ATM.

Authorities say he then drove her to a secluded location and sexually assaulted her.

also totally not a bubble at all

quote:

The $41 billion valuation for the ride-sharing service Uber may or may not be a bubblicious number, but it certainly shows that the venture capital industry is in a bad place.

To understand, you need only peruse the startling valuations for other companies that have received venture capital funding in the last few weeks. Here are some of them:

■ Instacart, a same-day grocery delivery service based in San Francisco, began a $100 million fund-raising round valuing it at $2 billion.

■ WeWork Companies, a company that provides shared office space (think Uber for offices), closed a $355 million funding round valuing it at $5 billion.

■ Stripe, an online payment company, completed a $70 million investment round that valued it at $3.5 billion, double its $1.75 billion valuation earlier this year.

■ The mobile games maker Kabam announced that employees and investors were selling $40 million in shares to a group of investors. After an earlier round of investment last summer, the company was valued at more than $1 billion, up from $700 million last year.

It is not just about apocalyptic valuations. Companies are going from zero to billion-dollar valuations faster than ever before, despite a lack of revenue and, perhaps, even a market plan. In the frenzy, ideas that once were discarded as failures are being recycled into billion-dollar start-ups. Remember, same-day grocery delivery is nothing new. Kozmo.com and Webvan were same-day delivery services that failed when the dot-com bubble burst, losing hundreds of millions of dollars. Yet Instacart, a company with service in only 15 areas, is hurtling toward a valuation in the billions.

The high valuations have gone beyond old ideas and new ones that want to be the Uber of office space or dry cleaning. In the past few weeks, Vox Media, the Internet media start-up, closed a funding round that valued it at $380 million, $130 million more than Jeff Bezos paid for The Washington Post, while Change.org, the online petition service, raised $25 million at an undisclosed valuation from a number of investors, including the Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates, the Yahoo co-founder Jerry Yang, the Twitter co-founder Evan Williams and others. When media start-ups can raise millions just because they are new companies, rather than the old struggling ones, you know the froth has spread.

Still, the spree of billion-dollar valuations in the past few weeks shows us that something more is going on. That is where the terrible business of venture capital comes in. In the last five years ending in 2013, according to Cambridge Associates, venture capital’s returns trailed the Standard & Poor’s 500-stock index by 5.4 percentage points, earning 12.5 percent a year against the S.&P. 500’s 17.9 percent. Venture capital trailed private equity firms even more, failing to justify the 10-year lockups and other fees that investors in venture capital funds must agree to.

In this world, the top 10 percent or so of venture capital firms, the elite, are the only ones that consistently perform well. That includes Andreessen Horowitz and Accel Partners. But even the storied Kleiner Perkins is struggling to keep up.

Yet every venture capital firm is trying to stay alive and in the game. And the only way to do so is to ride the herd and hope that you have the next Facebook. More than 40 percent of venture capital’s investment so far this year was in software — mainly apps, according to the National Venture Capital Association. Venture capitalists are rushing to get in on the new, new thing, which just happens to be mostly apps and Uber knockoffs.

In this market, the crazy valuations are just the price of survival for venture capital firms. That’s how an online grocer like Instacart or WeWork can have billion-dollar valuations. These companies may have ideas that work, and if they do, the payoff is perhaps another Facebook. But more likely, everyone is overestimating market share and pushing assumptions to even get the privilege of investing.

• Locked thread