Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

zoux posted:

It's a bad loss and you know what that means: leaked memos.

So the memos confirm what we already knew?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Dante Logos posted:

So the memos confirm what we already knew?

It seems to indicate that the Latino vote did not magically switch over to Republicans.

So yes.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They always do. The funniest part of that was the firm that sent those memos was like "uuuhhh if you don't straighten this poo poo out, y'all are gonna get 38 percent", so they fire the firm and lo and behold she gets 39 percent.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

zoux posted:

They always do. The funniest part of that was the firm that sent those memos was like "uuuhhh if you don't straighten this poo poo out, y'all are gonna get 38 percent", so they fire the firm and lo and behold she gets 39 percent.

"Hey, we got 39 percent, that means the firm was wrong all along!"

Christ, I'm starting to agree with the interpretation that the Democratic Party is the party of losers. That said, I'd rather be a loser than a cartoony super villain who votes Republican.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:
Guess who's running for mayor?

http://www.ksat.com/content/pns/ksat/news/2014/11/19/exclusive--van-de-putte-announces-mayoral-bid.html

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
So the Austin mayoral runoff is coming up, with early voting ending on Friday. Anyone got a quick rundown of the two candidates?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

An Angry Bug posted:

So the Austin mayoral runoff is coming up, with early voting ending on Friday. Anyone got a quick rundown of the two candidates?

Adler wants to cut your property taxes, Martinez cares about poor people and public transit.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

An Angry Bug posted:

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.
If you're in Austin District 6, please vote in the runoff. For personal reasons with which you may disagree, I consider candidate Don Zimmerman to be a shitbag and that opinion has nothing to do with his politics. You have no reason to believe me and I won't go into details.

Thank you and have a good day.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Wait, what's the dividing line there? Having trouble interpreting the map.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

And if you're in district 4, please also vote in the runoff because Laura Pressley is a 9/11 truther.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Hey emfive, this is Alec. I am glad you like the mummy eating the bowl of shitty pasta with a can of 'parm.' I made that image for you way back when. I’m glad you enjoy it.

An Angry Bug posted:

Wait, what's the dividing line there? Having trouble interpreting the map.

It's basically I35. The area east of downtown (across what used to be East Ave) was the area zoned for black people to live in.

quote:

And if you're in district 4, please also vote in the runoff because Laura Pressley is a 9/11 truther.

I LOLed the other day when I noticed that that old building along 53rd kind-of near Epoch, formerly plastered with weathered "Ron Paul" posters, is now plastered with Laura Pressley posters.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Twerk from Home posted:

Adler wants to cut your property taxes, Martinez cares about poor people and public transit.

The way Adler wants to cut taxes is important too. His proposal is a 20% exemption which gets more and more popular as you move west across the city into neighborhoods of million dollar plus houses. They stand to get exemptions greater than the entire value of many properties in the East.

Has anyone else noticed that Adler has really gone hard negative lately? I've been getting a flood of mailers from his campaign pretty much accusing Martinez of kicking puppies for fun.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Vote in rich people, because rich people get things done, all the East side voters want is handouts.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

The way Adler wants to cut taxes is important too. His proposal is a 20% exemption which gets more and more popular as you move west across the city into neighborhoods of million dollar plus houses. They stand to get exemptions greater than the entire value of many properties in the East.

Has anyone else noticed that Adler has really gone hard negative lately? I've been getting a flood of mailers from his campaign pretty much accusing Martinez of kicking puppies for fun.

Yeah I've seen some mailers and a lot of insinuations that Martinez is too dumb to be mayor because he doesn't have a degree. Which was obviously a huge impediment to being a council member and head of Cap Metro.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

emfive posted:

If you're in Austin District 6, please vote in the runoff. For personal reasons with which you may disagree, I consider candidate Don Zimmerman to be a shitbag and that opinion has nothing to do with his politics. You have no reason to believe me and I won't go into details.

Thank you and have a good day.

If you live in Austin district 6, please vote against General Shitbag Don Zimmerman. For fear of litigation I won't get specific, but gently caress his for-profit rear end.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Badger of Basra posted:

Yeah I've seen some mailers and a lot of insinuations that Martinez is too dumb to be mayor because he doesn't have a degree. Which was obviously a huge impediment to being a council member and head of Cap Metro.

Is Austin a Mayor-centric or City Manager type city?

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

The City Manager reports to the Council. I'm not sure what the power dynamics are but for what it's worth I almost never hear about the City Manager in Austin news.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

As it is now it is a city manager centric system. Council and the mayor aren't too involved in the day to day operation of the city. (Thank goodness)

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Nonsense posted:

Is Austin a Mayor-centric or City Manager type city?

City Manager. The current City Manager isn't popular so he's in the news occasionally.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

:catstare:

quote:

Condoleezza Rice is the front-runner to replace embattled William Powers as the next president of the University of Texas, alumni sources say.

http://pagesix.com/2014/12/12/condoleezza-rice-front-runner-for-university-of-texas-president/

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Ewwwwwwwww. Please let's not have that.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I guess we know who's getting in the playoffs next year.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

computer parts posted:

I guess we know who's getting in the playoffs next year.

Damnit you beat me to it. :argh: To be fair no amount of rigging will get us into the playoffs as long as Swoopes is still qb.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Rice is pretty well qualified as an academian, really. And I've always gotten the impression that she's probably a decent person. Were it not for her association with the Bush years she wouldn't be a terrible choice.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

ReidRansom posted:

Rice is pretty well qualified as an academian, really. And I've always gotten the impression that she's probably a decent person. Were it not for her association with the Bush years she wouldn't be a terrible choice.

Yeah. It could be worse. At least she has experience in university administration (Provost at Stanford) and has presumably worked with students. Unlike some state uni presidents.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, Adler crushed Martinez in the run off.

I can't remember who are the crazy candidates for CC, how'd they fare?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

zoux posted:

Well, Adler crushed Martinez in the run off.

I can't remember who are the crazy candidates for CC, how'd they fare?

Mackenzie Kelly is very proud of her 1300 votes.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Despicable shitlord Zimmerman won in district 6 I think.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

emfive posted:

Despicable shitlord Zimmerman won in district 6 I think.

Yup, by 300 votes. I wonder how long it is before he sues another council member because they didn't vote for something that he wants.

Pressley didn't win. Surely because of everyone being unable to think correctly due to all the radiation from our smart meters.

Also Almanza lost too, thank goodness. Having the ANC be represented via Tovo is bad enough but having a PODER member on council would have been an utter NIMBY clusterfuck.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

African National Congress?

I'm sad the triangle man didn't win.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Austin Neighborhoods Council. One of the groups that reflexively and vociferously opposes anything but single family homes in central Austin by screaming about "Neighborhood Character".

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Shifty Pony posted:

Austin Neighborhoods Council. One of the groups that reflexively and vociferously opposes anything but single family homes in central Austin by screaming about "Neighborhood Character".

So, in short the kind of people that WANG would get along with wonderfully? In that case I say good riddance. It's been nearly a decade since I lived in Austin proper so my grip on the local politics has become more than a little rusty.

For reference on the sort of people WANG are, my mom call's WANG's paper the "Tarrytown Tattler". It's just a bunch of white people going "Oh look how cute X's daughter was in the Fourth of July parade!" and is only a few degrees short of "Some poor, darkie Mexican's moving into Tarry Town" at times.

And no, I will not stop calling the West Austin Neighborhood Group "WANG".

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 17, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

And PODER is the reason I have to throw away my toilet paper in a trash can because my broken sewer line runs under a tree and we have to have someone come out and inspect the root system and bless a new path before I can have a new line put in?

Seriously I get that we don't want green spaces cut down for development or whatever but this is a loving emergency.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

zoux posted:

And PODER is the reason I have to throw away my toilet paper in a trash can because my broken sewer line runs under a tree and we have to have someone come out and inspect the root system and bless a new path before I can have a new line put in?

Seriously I get that we don't want green spaces cut down for development or whatever but this is a loving emergency.

No that would be the Austin Heritage Tree Foundation and the myriad ordinances they have gotten passed regarding trees in this city. Although the ordinances are increasingly used as an anti-development weapon I think that the AHTF is just populated by starry eyed environmental hippies. Not that that makes your poop-trash situation any less annoying.

PODER is a strange bird. It started as a group opposed to the East Side getting shat on by industry and helped get a whole bunch of tank farms moved away from residential areas. Now it is really hard to pin down exactly what it exists for. Ostensibly it is anti-gentrificaion but that seems to be defined as "whatever Susan Almanza personally dislikes this month". Recently their target has been urban farms.

emfive
Aug 6, 2011

Shifty Pony posted:

Yup, by 300 votes. I wonder how long it is before he sues another council member because they didn't vote for something that he wants.

I was frankly surprised that anybody who's not a horrible human being managed to do OK in District 6.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I'm glad District 3 seems to be well represented at least. :unsmith:

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

If East Austin is so tired of being poo poo on why doesn't it just secede and form its' own municipality?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Randandal posted:

If East Austin is so tired of being poo poo on why doesn't it just secede and form its' own municipality?

I don't think you can do that, and even if you could there's not really much incentive to keep any high paying jobs in that municipality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Shifty Pony posted:

PODER is a strange bird. It started as a group opposed to the East Side getting shat on by industry and helped get a whole bunch of tank farms moved away from residential areas. Now it is really hard to pin down exactly what it exists for. Ostensibly it is anti-gentrificaion but that seems to be defined as "whatever Susan Almanza personally dislikes this month". Recently their target has been urban farms.
Coverage of which makes her supporters very angry. I remember there was some blowup on my Facebook with PODER supporters calling the Austin Chronicle racist because it appeared to not sufficiently love Susana Almanza enough.

Which was weird because their evidence for this was the Chronicle giving favorable coverage to her brother Pio.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Dec 18, 2014