Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

The Merkinman posted:

Two unrelated video series both about Mega Man released in the same week?
Teens React to Retro Video Games: Mega Man

I love how one of them never figures out how to use the buster until the second screen and some of them celebrate making it to the first ladder, thinking they beat the level.

And how they think Sniper Joe is a boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I didn't know you could charge the Mega Buster in Mega Man 4 because I had to play a rental copy that did not have a manual with it. I only figured it out by accident when playing Mega Man 5 by holding the B button down for some reason. I was nine.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I can understand that. I received Mega Man 3 without a manual, and figuring out sliding wasn't trivial.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The one who said "I can see why this is a classic" warmed my heart.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Schwarzwald posted:

I can understand that. I received Mega Man 3 without a manual, and figuring out sliding wasn't trivial.

That makes sense to me.

I think after Mega Man 2 and 3, my next Mega Man was Mega Man X, so it was pretty natural to figure out charging X-buster.

Possibly thanks to the same stuff Egoraptor lists in his video on the subject. I know wall-climbing truly did happen as he described.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
So a new megaman fan game was released today. Haven't played it yet, but here's the link:

http://mme.pagewizardgames.com/

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I do honestly really like seeing people play games like Megaman for the first time where the basics are easy but the fine control/dodging/whatever is quite hard, and see how quickly they catch on.
That 'reacts' video doesn't show as much gameplay as I want, though.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

CowboyAndy posted:

So a new megaman fan game was released today. Haven't played it yet, but here's the link:

I haven't had a chance to play yet, but it looks absolutely incredible!

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

CowboyAndy posted:

It... has some issues. The gameplay feels really off, it has plenty of bugs, Mega Man is stuck in his "taking a step" sprite when standing still, it doesn't seem to have gamepad support, a lot of the original sprites just don't look good and overall the polish is just severely lacking. However, it does have a lot of creative ideas and a good soundtrack.

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity, Mega Man Unlimited, Rock Force, Rokko chan and Street Fighter X Mega Man are all a lot better at emulating classic Mega Man games. 8-Bit Deathmatch and 2.5D are also very impressive.

There are cool creative ideas in here, but it's just bogged down by bad art and bad programming.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Wait did Street Fighter X Mega Man get less bad over time?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Volt Catfish posted:

Wait did Street Fighter X Mega Man get less bad over time?

No. It's still bad. This one is just more bad.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Is this what we've become? A Mega Man fangames thread?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Star Man posted:

Is this what we've become? A Mega Man fan games thread?

Yes.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You can talk about MM Zero being released on the NA Wii U VC, if you like.

There's also a MM VC sale running in NA until the 22nd:

MM II/III/IV (3DS) are $1.49 each

MM5/6 (Wii U) are $2.49 each

MM7 (Wii U) is $3.99

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 18, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Star Man posted:

It matches what the actual series has become so...yeah, actually

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Ever wanted to play Mega Man 1-4, but as Roll?

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,19011.msg269920.html

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Star Man posted:

Well, it's not exactly like Capcom is making any.

Not really.

Now if only someone could figure out how to make Mega Man be able to charge and slide in MM9 and 10...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Gammatron 64 posted:

Well, it's not exactly like Capcom is making any.

Not really.

Now if only someone could figure out how to make Mega Man be able to charge and slide in MM9 and 10...

Play as Protoman :D

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Star Man posted:

This is what happens when fans pick up the pieces

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
What's up with Mighty Number 9 or hwatever? THat game that looks like Megaman but with sick combos?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

MM7 (Wii U) is $3.99

Don't tell me it's just for NA. :negative:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

What's up with Mighty Number 9 or hwatever? THat game that looks like Megaman but with sick combos?

It's still coming out.

The same development team just released Gunvolt for the 3DS which can also be described as "Mega Man with sick combos" though.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Big Anime Fan Here posted:

It's still being made and is still on track for an April release, I think.

Big Anime Fan Here
Sep 8, 2010

by XyloJW
oh cool u play as ky kiske with guns. that looks sick thanks

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

MM7 (Wii U) is $3.99

I just came to post this, but you beat me to it. I did pick up II, III and IV on my 3DS, but I have the Anniversary collection and X collection that I can still play on my old Wii not U, so I don't see much reason to get anything like that on Wii U VC. I am tempted to get Zero, though... I have the DS collection of Zero 1-4 and the GBA cart of 2, but I would enjoy playing that game on the huge screen. Can you actually play VC games on the actual TV, or is it on that silly Wii U tea tray only?

Kind of a lacklustre offer, though... notice that 2 and 3, the most popular original MM games, aren't discounted, and neither is V from the Game Boy. They aren't ridiculously overpriced normally, it's the principle of the matter.

I have something like 1000 coins on Club Nintendo... it would be nice if they actually made available some games I want so that I could spend coins on them. Link to the Past, Super Metroid, Advance Wars, Legend of the Mystical Ninja... those would all be warmly received.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

http://rushjet1.bandcamp.com/album/mega-man-ii-gb-remade

So this happened.

Listening right now, liking it so far (though I'm only two robot masters in).

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Yeah, it's pretty cool. Seems this is a project Rushjet1 was more keen on doing, while MM2 was more "YOU GUYS KEPT ASKING FOR IT HERE IT IS NOW SHUT UP" and that's alright by me, but it's clear he was more into this one.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Hey you Like Mega Man?

Get the new Shantae.

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012

KennyMan666 posted:

http://rushjet1.bandcamp.com/album/mega-man-ii-gb-remade

So this happened.

Listening right now, liking it so far (though I'm only two robot masters in).

MMM dat title theme is so good.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Light Gun Man posted:

Hey you Like Mega Man?

Get the new Shantae.
I want to but it's not out in Europe yet and neither is Gunvolt.

Stupid region-restricting of digital releases...

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
There were enough Mega Man elements in the new Shantae that I kind of want someone to make a Shantae fangame that played like an NES Mega Man with Barons instead of Robot Masters. Healthy amounts of Metroid of course too.

There were also a lot of little tiny...I don't quite wanna say references, but like homages to cool mechanics / specific enemies of other past classic games. Like there are enemies that remind me a LOT of enemies from Rocket Knight Adventures and Chiki Chiki Boys. There's also a secret room hidden with a technique used in Mario 2.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Rockman 8, X4, X5, Battle and Chase, and Tron ni Kobun/Misadventures of Tron Bonne were released on the Japanese Playstation store for those that are interested.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
I picked up a cheap game on the 3ds that is clearly inspired by Mega Man.

The Legend of Dark Witch

It's got an interesting system stolen from Gradius where you gain energy by killing enemies. That energy can be used for boosts like speed and weapon power. The same meter is used for special weapons earned from bosses.

Boss fights are pretty good and very much styled as robot master fights. Damaging bosses helps refill your meter, which helps maintain special weapon power for boss weaknesses.

The game is pretty tough. There's an upgrade shop that lets you buy life upgrades and increase the amount of energy earned from killing stuff, which is sort of annoying because you start out really weak other wise. The currency is overall energy obtained, regardless of how much you've used in-level.

It's definitely super chibi-anime styled, but for $2.79 it's not a bad purchase for a challenging MM substitute.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Bought this myself the other day. It's certainly not bad, but not without issues. A set number of hit points rather than an energy meter isn't bad in and of itself, but with there literally being NO way of healing during stages, it gets annoying fast. You don't even get to heal during the boss refights (spoilers: there's boss refights in a heavily Mega Man-inspired game), and some boss attacks are really unforgiving to avoid. You also lose all your powerups and have to gather meter from scratch if you die, so, yeah. Sadly the Gradius-inspired powerup bar leads to Gradius syndrome. There even being a speed powerup in a platforming game feels like a bad idea from the start.

Still, worth the price, I'd say.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Great Joe posted:

Yeah, it's pretty cool. Seems this is a project Rushjet1 was more keen on doing, while MM2 was more "YOU GUYS KEPT ASKING FOR IT HERE IT IS NOW SHUT UP" and that's alright by me, but it's clear he was more into this one.

I love what he did with the Quint version of the Wily's Castle theme. Legendary game music composer Tim Follin once said that a song used in a greater work should only tell part of the story, and that the song and the rest of the work should provide each other with context. For example, Back to the Future's epic music conjures images of epic adventures in exotic locales, but the films all take place in the same town at different times, beginning with thirty years earlier. The epic new frontier is not some ancient civilization, but history as it applies to people personally. Likewise, Quint's theme, with its tenseness and Drums of Epicness(TM), conjure up images of a great and terrible killer robot... but Quint has Mega Man's size, shape and build. But once you know that the plot involves time travel and that the game's manual says Quint is from decades in the future, the reason epicness is being applied becomes terribly clear.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Dec 29, 2014

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
If you're not averse to webcomics and want to see an interesting interpretation of quint, check out MS Paint Masterpieces. Reminds me of the archie comic series in some ways.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Apologies for the bad picture...

Christmas present from the old wife. Ideally I'd get the Mega Man replica helmet to put on a little shelf in the middle, but I'm pretty sure my wife would kill me if I spent $100 on a piece of art.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

The Jorts of Zeus posted:

Apologies for the bad picture...

Christmas present from the old wife. Ideally I'd get the Mega Man replica helmet to put on a little shelf in the middle, but I'm pretty sure my wife would kill me if I spent $100 on a piece of art.

Heck yeah! Mega Man art bros

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

DisposableHero posted:

drat that is a hardcore game pad that makes me jealous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

DisposableHero posted:

I thought I liked video games

And then I saw this and now I'm not even sure anymore