Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I was heavy into New Order, Depeche Mode, and Twitch-era Ministry in the late 80's early 90's. Someone in my Journalism class gave me a copy of Vivisectvi and off I went.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I was into hardcore punk and little else till I heard The Sisters of Mercy; that kicked off an exploration of gothic rock that led somehow to synthpop, futurepop, aggrotech, and then sort of backward into the rest of industrial.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I was a Rammstein kid. From there I found the rest of the NDH bands (Eisbrecher must've been the first ever band I found about myself without hearing about it from a friend or my brother?) and then slowly through that the rest. What really broadened my horizons w/r/t to this poo poo was writing for the website Germaniac.com (created by Gregory Pilling, the swell dude who makes my artwork nowadays. Funny how these things work, eh) which obviously meant I needed to find a lot of stuff like news etc. about artists I didn't know or care abot myself. Was on a brief hellectro/whatever kick sometime in like 2007 but even the teenage me soon realized it was baaaad. Since then I guess my tastes have been fairly consistent, it's all been documented extensively in these threads I guess

ohrwurm
Jun 25, 2003

Me and my friends? The Crow and Mortal Kombat soundtracks.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Mortal Kombat here too. I heard Rammstein then listened to old Covenant and it went from there.

Danger - Octopus! posted:

FV's latest statement is maybe a tiny bit revealing since they refer to their detractors as "left wing freaks". Oh well. :doh:

:catstare: what exactly is this guy's history?

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
I unironically think the MK soundtrack probably got more people into industrial than anything else I know of.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
Probably.

I'll never forget the first time I heard this in its entirety. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPc5ij8ImVM

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 17, 2014

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Twiin posted:

I unironically think the MK soundtrack probably got more people into industrial than anything else I know of.

Or that one Thrill Kill Kult song on the Crow soundtrack which also led to me buying a whole bunch of their albums before I discovered none of their other songs were that awesome.

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

You might surprise yourself.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I think Wing Commander: Prophecy hit the same late 90s note

1. Prophecy (Terminalmix) - Cobalt 60
2. Cloning Technology (Replica) - Fear Factory
3. The Vampire Strikes Back - Die Krupps
4. Eifersucht - Rammstein
5. Billy Club - Junkie XL
6. The Awakening - Das Ich
7. Stray Bullet - KMFDM
8. Mercy - Paradise Lost
9. Gravitation Zero - Project Pitchfork
10. Headhunter - Eskimos & Egypt
11. The Theme (Of Progressive Attack) Trip Mix - Brooklyn Bounce
12. Komit - Juno Reactor
13. Darwin Was Right - Cobalt 60

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

I gotta say though Mortal Kombat inperticular did give industrial that second wind in the mid 90s, the first soundtrack went platinum in a week and they made a follow up CD called More Kombat with freaking Chemlab's Exile on Mainline. The movie itself even had a bunch of Stabbing Westward used as score music. In the MK dev team John Tobias who designed the charecters was a big fan of Stabbing Westward and stage designer Steve Beran can be see wearing a KMFDM shirt under his zipped jacket during the Making-Of MK3. Seeing as the MK team was only a handful of people in the early 90s (who's input on the movie was more than welcome), the soundtrack was probably influenced by them.

Quirk
Oct 11, 2004

Also the Mortal Kombat Annihilation CD changed my life.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Yeah, I've fond memories of hearing the Utah Saints version of the MK theme in alt clubs in the late 90s and early 00s.

Also, I've not thought about Stabbing Westward in a long time. I think I still have Ungod somewhere.

Flying Squirrel
Oct 24, 2007
Thanks, Zombie Lincoln
I was in high school in the late 90s, was mostly into punk stuff, Bad Religion, etc. I had a friend who was big into NIN and all, and it was really through him. He branched out into Depeche Mode, and hey, that wasn't too bad, but then he had this album that had just come out, VNV Nation's Praise the Fallen, and that was like nothing I had really heard, so it just kinda went from there.

BigPoot
Jan 16, 2013

For me it was as I was coming off a metal binge in middle school (early/mid 90s). Heard NIN and Ministry via MTV and liked them, then there was an article on Skinny Puppy in some metal magazine (Rip maybe?). Was curious so I talked my parents into getting me a copy of Last Rites via Columbia House. Didn't "get it" right away, but once I did that got the ball rolling.

However, I ended up drifting away from industrial and the like in the late 90s for more experimental stuff.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Also, I've not thought about Stabbing Westward in a long time. I think I still have Ungod somewhere.

I was just thinking about them the other day, because the singer's current band has a new album coming out soon. The first single really scratches that 90s itch for me, I'm looking forward to the rest of the album.

Speaking of the 90s, Gravity Kills is almost entirely to blame for the music I listen to. I wish they'd hurry up and finish the new album they were working on a couple of years ago.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I have a hard time being nostalgic for Stabbing Westward given the persistent rumors I've heard about the lead singer since then.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Quirk posted:

I gotta say though Mortal Kombat inperticular did give industrial that second wind in the mid 90s, the first soundtrack went platinum in a week and they made a follow up CD called More Kombat with freaking Chemlab's Exile on Mainline.

loving Chemlab. I hung out with the goth-lite kids in high school, we'd get the one dude's older brother to buy us beers, play Goldeneye on the N64, and listen to KMFDM and NIN, then one of them lent me Burnout at the Hydrogen Bar and holy gently caress. That album, and East Side Militia, still own real hard.

I burned out on VNV and future pop, stopped following the scene for a while, then started dating a girl who was really into CombiChrist et al (who I was really into until I actually listened to the words). I've been going to more shows the last couple of years, which has gotten me back into the scene, even if I've gotten old and terrible and wear ear plugs most of the time. There's really just one halfway-decent club night a month here in Baltimore, and a place up in Wilmington Delaware that does good shows, even if they're usually on loving Thursday nights.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

TOOT BOOT posted:

I have a hard time being nostalgic for Stabbing Westward given the persistent rumors I've heard about the lead singer since then.

I have a hard time being nostalgic for them because they were and still are terrible

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
The new Click Click album "Those Nervous Surgeons" is pretty good. I've never listened to them and they kind of own. They're industrial but weird and do their own thing. Been around forever.

Kind of like Lead Into Gold... Especially the song "Man in a Suit"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZlh6OIcGlA

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 18, 2014

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

ANAmal.net posted:

I've gotten old and terrible and wear ear plugs most of the time.

Only idiots don't wear earplugs at concerts so you're definitely not terrible :)

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people
I first got into industrial from the soundtrack to The Matrix. That, and some late night show on MTV that showed the music video for Closer uncensored.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

TOOT BOOT posted:

I don't know anything about that and I'm not sure I want to, is it worse than being a Nazi or Thomas Rainer (ho ho, the redundancy of my words)?

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I always liked Bile's "I Reject" on the Mortal Kombat soundtrack, 9 year old me was pretty cool. I am kind of bummed that nothing else they've done is all that interesting but that particular song is still heavy as hell.

I also liked Ace of Base because they synthesized some pretty top notch European 90s beats.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Man, Seabound's Speak in Storms didn't even get an honourable mention on ID:YD.

Was insanely excited about that album coming out and I just can't be bothered to care about it :(

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Dunno about you but I was Sea-burned out a long time ago. Of that entire subgenre to be honest.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

That's the one that did it for me. I'd happily still listen to No Sleep Demon, Beyond Flatline, and Double-Crosser.

Not sure what your definition of 'the genre' is, but Seabound was almost my last hope. I'm still holding out for Ashbury Heights.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Can't speak for the entire subgenre but I thought Speak in Storms was a strong album overall, even with that song about the airplane crashing on top of some clowns. If there's just a crushing amount of Seabound-like music coming out then by all means post some other good examples!

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

But that I'm super deep in any genre, industrial started with NIN and gravity kills.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Potential BFF posted:

I also liked Ace of Base because they synthesized some pretty top notch European 90s beats.

"The Sign" holds up better than I expected disposable 90's dancepop to.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Prop Wash posted:

Can't speak for the entire subgenre but I thought Speak in Storms was a strong album overall, even with that song about the airplane crashing on top of some clowns. If there's just a crushing amount of Seabound-like music coming out then by all means post some other good examples!

It's a good album that's following a string of three GREAT albums and a 5+(?) year hiatus. As for Seabound-like music, there's Frank Spinath's side projects, Edge of Dawn (which I like) and Ghost & Writer (which I don't).

Flying Squirrel
Oct 24, 2007
Thanks, Zombie Lincoln

Babby Sathanas posted:

Dunno about you but I was Sea-burned out a long time ago. Of that entire subgenre to be honest.

Seabound is weird for me, I really liked No Sleep Demon when it came out, and nothing since than has been bad, quite the opposite, but it just...falls flat with me somehow

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

"The Sign" holds up better than I expected disposable 90's dancepop to.

It really does. I decided to listen to the album for the sake of nostalgia a while back and while it's certainly not synthpop, let alone industrial, they peg the driving synth thing pretty well in a few songs, especially Young & Proud. At the very least it opened up the door to angry machine music for me. I'm in your debt, groovy Swedes :sweden:

And here's that Bile song because the drone at 1:16 kills.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Speaking of ID:YD's year end list, I'm just perplexed at their #1 pick. Seeming was interesting for being the pop project of that-guy-who-wrote-that-industrial-book, and I liked The Burial well enough the first few times I heard it, but something about it just doesn't do anything for me.

Also puzzled that Mircalla didn't get any love, though that may be due to a string of small releases... but put all their 2014 work together on a playlist and it's the "album" I listened to the most this year.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Flying Squirrel posted:

Seabound is weird for me, I really liked No Sleep Demon when it came out, and nothing since than has been bad, quite the opposite, but it just...falls flat with me somehow
For me Seabound is like sleepy Sunday afternoon music. I like to put it on in the background, but not too loud. I'm getting old.

As far as ID:YD's list, I like most of those albums but don't quite understand #1 either. But it's not exactly an objective list. No such thing. Though I kind of like the idea of going crazy and doing something unexpected for #1. You didn't expect this, sucker!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

LabyaMynora posted:

It's a good album that's following a string of three GREAT albums and a 5+(?) year hiatus. As for Seabound-like music, there's Frank Spinath's side projects, Edge of Dawn (which I like) and Ghost & Writer (which I don't).
I agree with the main sentiment. But it's the lyrics that bug me the most on Speak in Storms. They're suddenly more nonsensical than Project Pitchfork's worst offences.

Also while I quite like Edge of Dawn, I love Ghost & Writer a tonne. I find G&W a lot more unique and interesting.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
If anyone isn't listening to Death in Rome, you're missing out holy poo poo :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE29Ic8Wxko

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beP82Vd9N_I

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
The Mortal Kombat soundtrack was amazing and introduced me to a whole slew of new music I never thought I would like. Before that I would listen to whatever was on the radio and not like it. I must have bought an album or even all the albums from almost every band on those soundtracks.

Nowadays I listen to a lot of trip hop and bjork and I don't like the new industrial sound but I still go back and listen to the old stuff :beerpal:

I even tried to track down Urban Voodoo's album because I liked Brutality so much. It took me 10 years and it cost $50 but I finally got a physical copy of it and it's pretty good!

Overbite fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 19, 2014

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

I saw The Dreaming not too long ago, Chris sat out in the small crowd and watched the opening act, had a drink with me and put on a killer show. What rumor is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Photex posted:

I saw The Dreaming not too long ago, Chris sat out in the small crowd and watched the opening act, had a drink with me and put on a killer show. What rumor is this?

Inappropriate relationships with young fans, at least during the 90s when I heard it second or thirdhand. No idea whether it's true or not but I haven't listened to them since.

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 21, 2014