Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Zohar posted:

Well, Nick Land laid out the definitive systematisation of "the dark enlightenment" in his eponymous essay and to a large extent it's a logical upshot of some aspects of his earlier thinking. He's probably singlehandedly the most influential force in defining them as a single "thing".

Like you said his earlier philosophy is fascinating and occasionally brilliant -- there's a reason he was so enormously influential in certain circles of British philosophy. He does actually still sometimes write interesting things, like his booklet from this November on templexity is a decent read I think, though not exactly stellar philosophy. I would say he's probably the only genuine intellectual in their camp, though even then most of his current output is garbage.

What's really gone on with him is hard to say. Accepting his turn against the traditional left, which is obvious from pretty much the beginning of his writings, it still seems contradictory to the point of surreality that someone so invested in breathless acceleration would support self-proclaimed reactionaries (though the example of Marinetti is, I guess, telling).

The most attractive explanation, I think, is that he's put it on for show -- maybe in the nietzschean way of weakening your opponents by supporting them with stupid arguments. In reality though he probably just self-identified too naively with his favourite hobbyhorses of neodeleuzian schizophrenia, antihumanism, and the bataillean defence of evil and is acting out in an increasingly vapid way his fantasy of being an ~evil genius~.

I'd love to write in more depth about him actually since he's someone whose development I'm really interested in analysing as part of my broader academic research at the moment but my laptop has shat the bed so I'm stuck on mobile at the moment.

I actually don't think he's contributed anything meaningful to philosophy, but at least he was an intellectual. Now apparently he thinks he's the joker? Alright Nick, have fun watching the world burn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

the black husserl posted:

I actually don't think he's contributed anything meaningful to philosophy, but at least he was an intellectual. Now apparently he thinks he's the joker? Alright Nick, have fun watching the world burn

While hanging out as a degenerate whitey expatriate in China. You've hit the Jackpot oh you guru.

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.
One of the most :psyduck: things about this for me is Justine Tinney throwing her support behind this movement. What does she think they'd do to transsexuals like her if they ever managed to gain any actual power, and why does she think it would be any different than what fascists always do?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Polybius91 posted:

One of the most :psyduck: things about this for me is Justine Tinney throwing her support behind this movement. What does she think they'd do to transsexuals like her if they ever managed to gain any actual power, and why does she think it would be any different than what fascists always do?

Because she is not very smart.

Dangit Ronpaul
May 12, 2009

Polybius91 posted:

Because she thinks she and her buddies are going to be the ones gaining power.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Justine Chuuni.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Dangit Ronpaul posted:

Because she thinks she and her buddies are going to be the ones gaining power.

She reminds me of a worse version of that rabbi who lived through the holocaust and then spent his life campaigning against efforts to get the names of gay holocaust victims included in memorials because he though gay people were immoral degenerates.

Trans Hitler vows that only black people and maybe Mexicans will be enslaved this time around.

Actually, does she have an opinion on gay people? It wouldn't surprise me if she just started acting as if she were always a woman and disavowed trans people after a certain point.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Somewhere Foucault is laughing and/or crying at Justine Tunney.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
Justine Tunney is what some people were afraid the LGBT movement was going to turn into after we got marriage. Luckily, conservatives are dumb enough to keep fighting that particular battle, so their is little chance of any one part of the rainbow throwing the rest under the bus.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I was wondering the other day, just how much of the Dark Enlightenment is tied to Silicon Valley psychopath software engineer and venture capitalist types? Like I saw something about PayPal CEO Peter Thiel talking about how "freedom and democracy are incompatible" and poo poo like that.

Speaking of which a high school acquaintance who made himself CEO of a new headphone brand was :qq:-ing about Thiel getting told to gently caress off by Cal students the other day. With poo poo like that, well, good riddance.

Jerry Manderbilt has a new favorite as of 05:37 on Dec 18, 2014

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I was wondering the other day, just how much of the Dark Enlightenment is tied to Silicon Valley psychopath software engineer and venture capitalist types?

Most of those are buttcoin libertarians. They're a bit too in love with constant innovation to really get into conservatism.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Some of the leading lights of this clownshow are from the Bay Area and are associated with Less Wrong and its collection of spergin' engineer types, so I expect there is a lot of cross-over. Anyway, what Thiel means by that freedom and democracy quote is that rich and powerful people aren't free to do whatever they want when they have to listen to the will of the useless eaters as expressed through democracy. The Dark Enlightenment solution to this problem involves creating a magical autocratic kingdom wherein blacks and poors are illegal.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
This has probably been said before but it amazes me how these types, much like randroids, always think they'll be the glorious captains of industry lording it over the untermenschen instead of burning in the city when Galt goes Galt.

If they read Lord of the Rings, they'd fashion themselves as Gandalf instead of some nameless mook who gets offed in a skirmish.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

The continued endurance of the Objectivist / Less Wrong / Dark Enlightenment types just proves that not enough people have played Bioshock.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Soylent Pudding posted:

The continued endurance of the Objectivist / Less Wrong / Dark Enlightenment types just proves that not enough people have played Bioshock.

Or they played it and really, really did not get it.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Luisfe posted:

Or they played it and really, really did not get it.

I'm not joking: in undergrad, I knew somebody in my program who really got into objectivism after playing Bioshock. He did come to class on shrooms occasionally, but did surprisingly well in courses.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

This has probably been said before but it amazes me how these types, much like randroids, always think they'll be the glorious captains of industry lording it over the untermenschen instead of burning in the city when Galt goes Galt.

If they read Lord of the Rings, they'd fashion themselves as Gandalf instead of some nameless mook who gets offed in a skirmish.

The funniest part of this is Gandalf has a bunch of speeches about how people like this are horrible. When the Numenoreans start acting like these jokers Sauron shows up and cons them into destroying themselves. Tolkien has a letter where he rags on the "pernicious and unscientific race doctrine" and also talks about how people who want to run government are the last people who should be allowed to. The Gondorians fight an idiotic war about race-mixing (the purists lose). They picked a bad piece of fiction to be their hobbyhorse.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

It's mostly the usual nerd/engineer misconception where they think they've figured out how society really works and how it can be optimized. Since they know best how a spherical society on a frictionless plane works, they'll obviously be able to rise to the top fairly easy once the current system that is holding them back falls away.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Which shows you what a half-thought out idea this really is.
Yes, regulations are "bad" for pure capitalism. But there is already plenty of people thriving and getting rich under those regulations.
If you aren't already at the top, how the hell are you going to get there with the wealthy kicking down even harder?

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
Mieville sums it up rather nicely, I think:

China Mieville posted:

Libertarianism is not a ruling-class theory. It may be indulged, certainly, for the useful ideas it can throw up, and its prophets have at times influenced dominant ideologies–witness the cack-handed depredations of the “Chicago Boys” in Chile after Allende’s bloody overthrow. But untempered by the realpolitik of Reaganism and Thatcherism, the anti-statism of “pure” libertarianism is worse than useless to the ruling class.

Big capital will support tax-lowering measures, of course, but it does not need to piss and moan about taxes with the tedious relentlessness of the libertarian. Big capital, with its ranks of accountant-Houdinis, just gets on with not paying it. And why hate a state that pays so well? Big capital is big, after all, not only because of the generous contracts its state obligingly hands it, but because of the gun-ships with which its state opens up markets for it.

Libertarianism, by contrast, is a theory of those who find it hard to avoid their taxes, who are too small, incompetent or insufficiently connected to win Iraq-reconstruction contracts, or otherwise chow at the state trough. In its maundering about a mythical ideal-type capitalism, libertarianism betrays its fear of actually existing capitalism, at which it cannot quite succeed. It is a philosophy of capitalist inadequacy.

Or actually, perhaps the neoreactionaries are better described as this sort of libertarian:

Kim Stanley Robinson posted:

Even if you want no state, or a minimal state, then you have to argue point by point. Especially since the minimalists want to keep the economic and police system that keeps them privileged. That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
How did we miss this great article?

quote:

All these people need to relax: watch a football game, drink some beer, read P.G Wodehouse, whatever.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

Polybius91 posted:

Is it wrong that I find it surprising there's not a vocal libertarian segment of trans people (at least, not that I know)? This isn't a sensitive way to put it, but if I was looking to take my life into my own hands in a really hardcore way, changing gender might come to mind.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Idiots in the comments are right for once, it is pretty insubstantial.

Although I do love the "first they laugh at you..." bit, it's always the last resort of ridiculous people.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

The Time Dissolver posted:

Is it wrong that I find it surprising there's not a vocal libertarian segment of trans people (at least, not that I know)? This isn't a sensitive way to put it, but if I was looking to take my life into my own hands in a really hardcore way, changing gender might come to mind.

being trans isn't just deciding one day that you feel like changing your gender for shits and giggles so yeah no

Political Whores
Feb 13, 2012

The Time Dissolver posted:

That's because Trans people by and large, having often been persecuted and attacked for who they are by the majority, understand the degree to which the individualist notion of society espoused by libertarians is a loving joke that would get them killed. The only reason gender and sexual minorities even have the status they do is because they successfully leveraged the state to ram it down the throats of bigots, and that's still very early in development for trans people. Have you read Hoppe? He basically sanctions micronations purging gay people for the public good. It's like asking why libertarianism is overwhelmingly male and white. Only the majority is ever isolated from reality enough to produce a large contingent of deluded to believe this poo poo.

I mean I guess LGBT people could try to band together to purge all the straight people, but that leaves anybody born outside the enclave sort of stuck.

E: there are of course, always exceptions to the rule, like Justine Tunney

Political Whores has a new favorite as of 14:28 on Dec 18, 2014

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
https://nydwracu.wordpress.com/2013/04/21/guest-post-pthag-on-the-history-of-sa-politics/

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I'm five paragraphs in and this has yet to make a point.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

quote:

In the fashionable neo-theosophical language of the Orthosphere, I am a Thal [purestrain TT, amud-type] and everyone in this story has melopepocephalic ancestry or tendencies.

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not and if it isn't what it even means. It doesn't seem to get much better.

Thermite
Aug 16, 2006

Huzzah!

It's like a hack philosophy professor having a stroke in text form.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

I couldn't make it past the first few paragraphs. Not because of the content, but because the author's writing style is so obtuse and prosaic. It's like Gene "Time Cube" Ray started reading some classics.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Dr Pepper posted:

I'm five paragraphs in and this has yet to make a point.

I skipped to the end to see if it get better. It does.

quote:

I wish I could close this post by putting these events into some properly Cenozoic context, but I can’t. I’ve moved too far away from Leftism to give a gently caress, and when the dam broke, what value that was made visible by virtue of being stored in a major Mesozoic reservoir ran away into the Internet-in-general. Perhaps those streams can be traced to see if they just ran away into rocky wasteland and thence to some sunless subterranean sea, or if they got trapped in aquifers where they are enriching — or poisoning — things quietly. If this essay illuminates anything latent in Cenozoic institutions like /pol/, or tumblr, or I don’t know what, that a reader was not aware of before, then I suppose this will not have been written in vain.

"Hmm, closing this out with 'I used to be leftist but then I became a little poo poo, anyway I hope tumblr and /pol/ notice me' seems weak, but what if I keep saying "Cenozoic" and quadruple the wordcount..."

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

InediblePenguin posted:

being trans isn't just deciding one day that you feel like changing your gender for shits and giggles so yeah no

Right now this is true, and it's pretty lovely and insensitive to say "well how come more people don't just choose to be trans just as a gently caress you dad sorta thing huhh!?"

However, I could totally see (maybe 20-40 years from now when it's way more socially acceptable and easier to do) people changing genders just 'cuz, for the same reasons they get piercings or breast implants or any of the other things people do to their bodies because they can. Personally I think that would be neato to have the option to be a girl that doesn't involve major social stigma and years of therapy and hormones and still very primitive surgery but I can also see it becoming tied to dumb controlling subcultures like The Time Dissolver mentioned.

This is all hypothetical though and in the current culture these are stupid, harmful ideas that de-legitimize transpeople so whatever.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

DrProsek posted:

I skipped to the end to see if it get better. It does.

"Hmm, closing this out with 'I used to be leftist but then I became a little poo poo, anyway I hope tumblr and /pol/ notice me' seems weak, but what if I keep saying "Cenozoic" and quadruple the wordcount..."

Calling /pol/ an "institution" is really hilarious to me for some reason

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Calling /pol/ an "institution" is really hilarious to me for some reason

It's like Plato's cave, except the cave is the Internet and the shadows on the wall are 4chan, tumblr, and Reddit.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

DrProsek posted:

Why is he referring to geological eras anyway?

I presume he redefines the terms somewhere or is he just using them as allusions to current as opposed to from a previous and now outdated era? Even if so though that is drat lovely writing.

Polybius91
Jun 4, 2012

Cobrastan is not a real country.

Devil Wears Wings posted:

I couldn't make it past the first few paragraphs. Not because of the content, but because the author's writing style is so obtuse and prosaic. It's like Gene "Time Cube" Ray started reading some classics.
You get that a lot with DE/neoreactionary types. I tried reading some Moldbug out of morbid curiosity the other day, but I didn't get very far before his droning, meandering tone made my eyes slide off the screen. If I know fascists, it has something to do with them believing that actually writing things that people have the patience to read is giving in to some sort of modern intellectual degeneracy.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Devil Wears Wings posted:

It's like Plato's cave, except the cave is the Internet and the shadows on the wall are 4chan, tumblr, and Reddit.

Plato's Mom's Basement

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Munin posted:

Why is he referring to geological eras anyway?

I presume he redefines the terms somewhere or is he just using them as allusions to current as opposed to from a previous and now outdated era? Even if so though that is drat lovely writing.

I searched the essay for Cenozoic and Mesozoic to see what he redefined them to, but I couldn't find anything. I honestly have no idea what he wants that to mean. At first I thought he meant "antiquated, old as the Cenozoic era" but then it would mean the same thing as Mesozoic and he doesn't seem to be saying /pol/ is outdated so :shrug:.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
He thinks the internet pre '97 is the oldest era, the early aughts as the mesozoic, and our current era as the cenozoic. Keep in mind these are people who also believe in the Singularity, so it makes sense that they'd be referring to the current era as something impossibly far in the past. I wonder if they've been introduced to Roko's Basilisk nonsense?

I enjoy people writing about SA from an anthropological perspective, no matter how bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Having read through a chunk of his article he does make it a theme and hence it does make sense in context. Still stupidly overwrought.

quote:

"Everyone has their own stratigraphy of the Internet which reflects their own history with it. I myself regard the Internet before 1997 as a Paleozoic world full of creatures endowed with an Edenic elegance and an unfinished roughness ... I admire this age very much, and contemplating the remains of their beautiful, austere web-pages, ... fills me with the same meditative calm of studying paleontology."

"We enter the Mesozoic when proles like your author found out about the Internet and the Cenozoic began in 2005 along with Youtube."

I'm currently more boggling at terms like "melopepocephalic" which apparently only shows up in that article and when trying to find the root of the term it leads me to a species of dolphin. Looking at the etymology of the dolphin name is not any more enlightening. Melo just means song.

Stupid poo poo like "melopepocephalic" and "dentifrices" (does loaning a word from French make you erudite these days?) aside it is a pretty good summary of the rise and fall of LF which could have been told in half the length.