Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I've now reloaded my game four times. Each time, the Queen of Pomerania (my vassal) usurps two duchies from the King of Poland (my vassal). They're both related to me. On the final reload, somehow the war showed as a war I was in but I'm not even involved:

She always wins the war, which isn't surprising, and then becomes independent. There's no notification beyond her somehow usurping two duchies. Is this something new or do I need to break out the console to fix it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Gough Suppressant posted:

https://www.youtube.com/user/arumba07

This guy does pretty good informative LP series. He's done a couple of norse ones including one for the Charlemagne patch where he takes a norse feudal society up to be a merchant republic.

Arumba is the reason i wish you could just subscribe to playlists. I tried to subscribe to him cause hes got some cool vids here and there, but the guy flooded me with like 6-8 random videos a day and pushed everyone else i was subbed to down and away.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Oh good. *claps happily*

And I'm sure you've heard this one too, but I've ran into an annoying bug where I can't disband vassal troops/ships sometimes from the military pane, have to go to each unit and do it.

Nope actually never, if you have a save on it report it on the bug forum.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Dongattack posted:

Arumba is the reason i wish you could just subscribe to playlists. I tried to subscribe to him cause hes got some cool vids here and there, but the guy flooded me with like 6-8 random videos a day and pushed everyone else i was subbed to down and away.

http://youtube.videodeck.net/

solves all your subscription problems.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

I just started a game as one of the Irish provinces in 769. It's now 901, and I've noticed that all the Irish provinces that I don't own, as well as the provinces in the remainder of the British Isles, have changed from their 769 names to the usual ones they have in the Old Gods start. However, my provinces are still stuck with the old-style names (i.e. Desmond is still Deasmhumhain). Is there a way to get province names to convert automatically, or is it something I have to go in and change myself?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

double nine posted:

http://youtube.videodeck.net/

solves all your subscription problems.

Wow i hate it, thanks for trying to help tho. I hate the normal youtube subscription box also equally.

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
I am super lovely at this game, and I think I prefer it that way. Losing in this game is super hilarious and fun. My Old Gods start Poland is in a hilarious death spiral of lunatic/possessed/syphilis-riddled boy-kings after getting off to a fast start.

I dunno what the inheritance rate on syphilis is but I've had my poxy heir come of age, grab 5 concubines and die at age 20 leaving behind 1-2 kids 3 times now.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Last night I was messing around with After The End and this unhappy situation happened. :saddowns:

Also, @ the After The End devs, if I wanted to make Americanist heresies (specifically Jeffersonians) able to go on Americanist pilgrimages, would all I need to change is add a "religion = jeffersonian" in the religious_decisions.txt file?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Is there somewhere on the character sheet to see an individual's personal combat rating, or is it a hidden value? I guess it might be better to keep it hidden so that each duel will have some suspense but I'm wondering if I'm just missing something.

Way of Life seems really good so far, everyone's all excited about banging all ye olde wenches but even the little stuff is fun. My Irish warlord with a military focus ended up becoming friends with his spymaster after a few sparring matches to practice dueling :3:

Also that Indian portrait thing I've been mewling about was apparently fixed at some point so that's cool.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

It keeps throwing me off that the diplo menu is a right click thing now. Wouldn't mind the old button being added back as an additional way of accessing it. Also that you means you can efficiently bribe two people at once.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I find it a bit disappointing that I only seem to be able to "Spy On" people from my own realm and just sort of petty stuff. I was hoping it could be expanded into a whole intrigue web/network that would actually be pretty useful for plots and so on.

However, I do like the detail that I can choose to focus on Learning focuses if I'm imprisoned. It's a nice little detail!

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Is there somewhere on the character sheet to see an individual's personal combat rating, or is it a hidden value? I guess it might be better to keep it hidden so that each duel will have some suspense but I'm wondering if I'm just missing something.

Its shown under the combat modifier icon if you hover over it. If you don't have any combat rating it shows nothing.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Vengarr posted:

What should I do with all these church holdings on my turf? Burn them down and build something else? Convert them into bingo halls?

Get Tribal Organization up to at least Medium, and then revoke all of the infidel ones. Hand them out to proper Norse Germanic holders. Once you get up to Medium Org, no one of the proper faith cares when you revoke titles from infidels.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

I'm a bit unfamiliar with the new mechanics so I'm a bit unsure how to proceed with my Marrakech game.

In the Charlemagne start, Marrakech begins tribal with their capital in the eponymous province, which has six potential holding slots. Now normally, this would be perfect and I would be feudal pretty much immediately using stolen Jew gold. but I'm trying for a west Mediterranean trade republic, so I need a coastal province. The best one near me is Tangier, which I can easily conquer, but it isn't tribal.

Now, I haven't played a lot of merchant republics, but my understanding is that they are based around one specific city holding, and as such if I form a city in the four-holding coastal province that is tribal and available to me (Massat) that will essentially be my base of operations for the whole game. So should I just build the town there before I expand too much?

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
So I was going through my prisoners after another holy war and I could not execute, release or take as a concubine one of the women and could not figure out why, especially when the ransom button was lit up but the guy kept refusing. It turns out she (well, her husband) holds a temporary title as a revolt leader. But he is leader of a revolt that is vassal to the guy he is revolting against.

I tried killing him but it generated someone to replace him instead of his actual heir and left her with the same weird state. I don't think I've ever been involved in a revolt like that so what happens if I switch over to him to just force him to give up his revolt so it stops being all screwy. Will it game over?

I'm going to go look through the rest of the revolts that have been hanging around when I get back, since the muslim kingdoms started shattering into smaller and smaller groups once I won a couple holy wars and kept instigating revolts/stabbing people. I thought perhaps to just weaken them for a time, but tiny 1 county fiefdoms everywhere is a little nuts.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

LaSalsaVerde posted:

I'm trying for a west Mediterranean trade republic, so I need a coastal province. The best one near me is Tangier, which I can easily conquer, but it isn't tribal.

Now, I haven't played a lot of merchant republics, but my understanding is that they are based around one specific city holding, and as such if I form a city in the four-holding coastal province that is tribal and available to me (Massat) that will essentially be my base of operations for the whole game. So should I just build the town there before I expand too much?

The easiest/most reliable way would be to conquer Massat, and make it your capital. Turn it into a city, and you'll then become a republic. If Tangier is the capital of a Kingdom (I can't recall if it is or not), you can them form that Kingdom, make it your primary title, and then move your capital to Tangier.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
A little sad that after conquering and converting to Catholicism Jerusalem, Damascus, Medina, & Mecca, Sunni moral authority is on the rise. :smith:

On the other hand, my 14 year old middle son wanted to be a monk, so I said, "Sure, why not," and gave him the duchy of Aswan as his own private Prince-Bishopric. When he turned 23 he was elected Pope. :stare:

Now, since I have near infinite piety from kicking the poo poo out of the Middle East, I can continually milk the Pope dry of all the gold he collects from Christendom and have him send it all to the Holy Land. Probably got 4000 gold so far, and I'm only 50, so hopefully lots more cash coming my way. :dance:

I guess the Holy Roman Emperor wasn't impressed though, and tossed up his own antipope.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

DrSunshine posted:

I find it a bit disappointing that I only seem to be able to "Spy On" people from my own realm and just sort of petty stuff. I was hoping it could be expanded into a whole intrigue web/network that would actually be pretty useful for plots and so on.

However, I do like the detail that I can choose to focus on Learning focuses if I'm imprisoned. It's a nice little detail!

I randomly murdered one of my counts by using the "spy on" command, so that was nice. What was less nice was earning the enmity of his entire house, an issue I made worse by dueling each of the late count's son's to death as they came of age via the war focus. Ultimately the county ended up in the hands of one very pissed off sister, but that was an issue fixed with some money-gifts and time spent with the seduce focus.

It's good to be king. :agesilaus:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I found a really good Old Gods start for those wanting the Norseman experience without dealing with the Sons of Lothbrok. The Count of Nantes (Breizh/Brittany, mainland Europe) is an unaffiliated Norse Pagan who starts with ~1500 event troops and 40 event galleys. He's also personally strong, with Viking, Holy Warrior, a son, and a nubile wife. You can immediately start conquering Brittany, or go raiding for more cash. You'll also get an event that turns you into the Normans fairly soon after starting.

The only problem is that if you want to expand past the duchy of Brittany (Like, say, if you want the kingdom of Brittany, goldurn one-duchy kingdom :argh:), you need to either poke the Karling beehive or close your eyes and think of England. I managed to just pull off a planned invasion of West Francia, even though I had the entirety of mainland European Christendom on my rear end about it.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Does choosing a focus on Family help prevent your spouse from getting seduced? If not, why not?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Groogy posted:

Nope actually never, if you have a save on it report it on the bug forum.

Okies, I'll see if it continues and post it there if it does.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Ramc posted:

Does choosing a focus on Family help prevent your spouse from getting seduced? If not, why not?

Dunno, but in my current game I married a chaste Byzantine princess, gave her gifts, honorary titles, and focused on family for the first five or ten years and I never got any suspicious/cheating events.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah, all of a sudden I'm *looking* for Chaste on the list of potential wives instead of avoiding it.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Dareon posted:

I found a really good Old Gods start for those wanting the Norseman experience without dealing with the Sons of Lothbrok. The Count of Nantes (Breizh/Brittany, mainland Europe) is an unaffiliated Norse Pagan who starts with ~1500 event troops and 40 event galleys. He's also personally strong, with Viking, Holy Warrior, a son, and a nubile wife. You can immediately start conquering Brittany, or go raiding for more cash. You'll also get an event that turns you into the Normans fairly soon after starting.

The only problem is that if you want to expand past the duchy of Brittany (Like, say, if you want the kingdom of Brittany, goldurn one-duchy kingdom :argh:), you need to either poke the Karling beehive or close your eyes and think of England. I managed to just pull off a planned invasion of West Francia, even though I had the entirety of mainland European Christendom on my rear end about it.

On the other hand, if you want a really hard Norse experience, check out Dyre the Stranger in Kiev. He starts out landlocked, all of his subjects are Slavic, and within a few years you'll be right next to the Magyar deathstack. Not to mention, you have next to zero chance of reforming the faith since you're on the other side of Europe from all the Norse holy sites.

Before Charlemagne came out, I was having a lot of fun as his descendents after I converted to Orthodoxy, married the Basilissa of Byzantium, and showed those weakling Catholics how kick Mongol rear end as the Emperor of Russia Varangia :black101:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Aw. The game's teasing me. Reading through the event files, I thought there was now a way in vanilla to bring back hellenic paganism - a lunatic male with the seduction focus can decide to seduce a rosebush. He thinks there's a nymph involved - but apparently he's right, because it has a fifty percent chance of generating a child. The child's mother is actually generated beforehand, as an Irish Hellenic Pagan, but she's killed off in the event, and the child itself is given the lunatic's religion.

Also, lunatic women can seduce a centaur. Best not to dwell too long on that.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 18, 2014

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Any suggestions for a cool year to start playing as a count in the Byzantine Empire? I have never played there before.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
It hardly matters what year you start. The Byzantine Empire is eternal and unchanging. (Well, at least from the old gods start on.)

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Strudel Man posted:

Aw. The game's teasing me. Reading through the event files, I thought there was now a way in vanilla to bring back hellenic paganism - a lunatic male with the seduction focus can decide to seduce a rosebush. He thinks there's a nymph involved - but apparently he's right, because it has a fifty percent chance of generating a child. The child's mother is actually generated beforehand, as an Irish Hellenic Pagan, but she's killed off in the event, and the child itself is given the lunatic's religion.

I had a lunatic queen for fifteen years and never had a lunatic specific event.

I also had a guy who was regent for his two year old liege and never got a single event related to it.

:smith:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Yeah, that's a pity. They have events for these crazy edge cases, but they aren't particularly likely to appear, even when they apply.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 18, 2014

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Dongattack posted:

Any suggestions for a cool year to start playing as a count in the Byzantine Empire? I have never played there before.

My current game started in 1081 (The Alexiad) as the northermost county in Karvuna (can't remember the name, but it borders the Black Sea and the Danube).

Be warned: every duchy in the Empire is a viceroyalty, so expanding from there is really, really tricky. I became Emperor in 1200 or so when the succession switched to Elective and everyone and their dog got a claim on the throne. Somehow (I'm not even sure how) I wound up with ~3000 ducats, so I made a faction and pressed it after the Byzantines lost most of their troops in a war against the Seljuks and hired a poo poo-ton of mercenaries to back me up.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

Sounds like a quick event change to make it so the mother doesn't die would do the trick.

edit: Took a look at the event (WoL.561), I guess you could just make the baby have the religion of the mother, while still killing her. Keeping her alive would require also changing the event so she spawns in your court instead of the Pope, which was presumably done so you don't get the double popup about the new character arrival/death.

binge crotching fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Dec 18, 2014

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES
Patch notes for the new VIET update:

quote:

Fixed several events not being triggered
Fixed Aztecs always using chocolate-flavored toothpaste if they convert to Zoroastrianism
Fixed inconvenient boner event happening to females

:allears:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

SeaTard posted:

Sounds like a quick event change to make it so the mother doesn't die would do the trick.

edit: Took a look at the event (WoL.561), I guess you could just make the baby have the religion of the mother, while still killing her. Keeping her alive would require also changing the event so she spawns in your court instead of the Pope, which was presumably done so you don't get the double popup about the new character arrival/death.
If you're willing to change events, there's no end to the ways you can reintroduce hellenic paganism. I was just interested in the possibility that you could do it in a completely vanilla game.

edit: Is anyone else noticing that the "dismiss realm levies" button frequently doesn't work? It's a little annoying now when I want to keep my own troops out for any straggler enemies that may show up, but let the vassals go home to keep them happy.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

nutranurse posted:

Last night I was messing around with After The End and this unhappy situation happened. :saddowns:

Also, @ the After The End devs, if I wanted to make Americanist heresies (specifically Jeffersonians) able to go on Americanist pilgrimages, would all I need to change is add a "religion = jeffersonian" in the religious_decisions.txt file?

Franklin noooo

afterend_decisions is the file you want to go for, regarding your question there. In the first decision, there's this bit:
code:
		potential = {
			is_ruler = yes
			religion = americanist
			age = 16
			prisoner = no
			capable_only = yes
			NOT = { trait = pilgrim }
			NOT = { trait = on_pilgrimage }
			NOT = { has_character_flag = failed_pilgrim }
		}
Change the "religion = americanist" line to
code:
			OR = {
				religion = americanist
				religion = jeffersonian
			}
and that'll get it working. It'll still be a little wonky, though, since the pilgrimage site events check to see if they're controlled specifically by Americanists, rather than Americanists and Americanists heresies, so if the site's controlled by a Jeffersonian that'll play out as if you're asking an infidel lord for permission to visit, I think.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Okay I started a new game as the Caliph of the Abbasids in the 860-era start. Everything is on fire and half of the Caliphate is now independent, which is about what I expected, but I'm a little curious as to how all of these minor states with 4 provinces or so each are raising armies that totally dwarf mine. I'm looking at an enemy army about 6700 strong and I can produce about 3k with my vassals and everything. I've noticed this problem ina couple of other games. How come the AI always seems so swole compared to me?

Edit: Also is there a map mode to show what I personally hold? I don't really have a sense of how powerful I am personally relative to anyone else. And is there a way to, when I'm looking at another character's screen, show what they hold?

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 18, 2014

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Strudel Man posted:

If you're willing to change events, there's no end to the ways you can reintroduce hellenic paganism. I was just interested in the possibility that you could do it in a completely vanilla game.

I have a bad habit of jumping down the modding rabbit hole for everything, so I didn't even think of what your original hope was for.

So yes, unfortunately there is still no way to get a Hellenic Pagan character in ironman. If groogy could just change the child birth event to use prev instead of root for the religion, that would do it.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Sharzak posted:

Okay I started a new game as the Caliph of the Abbasids in the 860-era start. Everything is on fire and half of the Caliphate is now independent, which is about what I expected, but I'm a little curious as to how all of these minor states with 4 provinces or so each are raising armies that totally dwarf mine. I'm looking at an enemy army about 6700 strong and I can produce about 3k with my vassals and everything. I've noticed this problem ina couple of other games. How come the AI always seems so swole compared to me?

Edit: Also is there a map mode to show what I personally hold? I don't really have a sense of how powerful I am personally relative to anyone else. And is there a way to, when I'm looking at another character's screen, show what they hold?

You can use the 'direct vassals' view (I think its icon is a large crown and a small crown?) which colour-coordinates all of your own and your direct vassals' lands, (their vassals are just lumped in with their direct liege's colour/name) which should provide the information you're after.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 18, 2014

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Reforming the classic Roman Empire, complete with Hellenistic faith, has been a long time goal for me in this game.

None of that Byzantine nonsense.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Doctor Schnabel posted:

Ok gang, Dr. Schnabel has a dream: in a week or so I want to start as some West Slav pagan in the Charlemagne start and my goal by game's end would be to have a Christian empire in central and eastern Europe. However, I have no idea how to be a barbarian. Would I want to form Poland while still tribal, or do I want to go feudal before that? How about conversion? Before or after going feudal? Do I pretty much have to hope and pray someone sends a Christian preacher to my house before I convert, or could I realistically expedite that somehow?

Eventually, I'd like to convert this game to an EU4 campaign (and mod it a little to have my Commonwealth use the HRE mechanics, instead of those dudes to the west of me).
So I've been thinking about this some more, and now I'm wondering if maybe it wouldn't be better to start off as a Norseman in like Jutland or something, punch and kick my way along the coast into the Danzig area, and then just spread south until I feel like feudalizing and converting to Catholicism. Somewhere in there I'd also do a capital change to Krakow and culture convert to Polish or whatever.

The idea here, I guess, is to do a Rurik, except southward instead of eastward, and the logic behind it is that Norsemen have an easier time getting cash moneys because boats. Is this sound, or will my levies be crap on account of the wrong religion/wrong culture provinces? If so, could I game it by calling up some prestige troops and raid with them? I'm thinking I'd keep them from despawning by staying in eternal, warhammer40k conflict with some one-province idiot somewhere.

Can't check any of this myself at the moment, as I won't be near my vidya gaming computer till the weekend, and I still need to actually buy WoL+Charlie.

Major Isoor posted:

You can use the 'direct vassals' view (I think its icon is a large crown and a small crown?) which colour-coordinates all of your own and your direct vassals' lands, (their vassals are just lumped in with their colour/name) which should provide the information you're after.
You can also go into diplo mode, which should give your demesne a pale green color

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
I managed to get my Irish tribals to switch over to Feudalism by about 800AD without massively pissing off any of my vassals and I was really proud of that, but apparently now I need to build a fully-upgraded hillfort in every single one of my counties to remove the -30 opinion penalty? Where the hell am I supposed to get that sorta scratch? I'm making about 1 gold a month, and my only revenue stream before was raiding/ransom. Is there a good way for feudals to make money that doesn't require more money first? I have a ton of prestige and piety, if it helps.

• Locked thread