Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Sir Unimaginative posted:

And then when you need a job your hiring committee rejects you because "well if you're going to be this wasteful with your own poo poo" (and not even the PR value means anything because there's too many "watch me blow hundreds of hours of other people's labor and probably more than a couple of my own in a microwave or under a hammer for ~~~INTERNET CRED~~~" videos to get much shock or chatter value anymore).

Probably not worth it, even if you plan to be a small business owner for the rest of your life. The economy's been weirding out since the Internet started and shouldn't be counted on that hard.

this isn't a likely thing to happen ever and in conclusion: smash it up please. please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Malt posted:

Ya, they aren't working for us.

Edit: Found the spot on a LP and the bombs are working there. Nothing happens in our game.
I had to restart the game at an early point because the door to the weather changing temple wouldn't open.

Then the patch landed yesterday and erased and broke the challenges system.

Also I was unable to buy the digital version on PSN. And the Lara figure I got had a big scratch on her forehead.

gently caress that game.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

univbee posted:

:eng101: Actually some launch window 360 games don't have 1080p on the packaging since the earliest 360's couldn't do that resolution.

But yeah, the whole reason why that's a standard for the packaging on both the PS3 and 360 is that they are talking about the signal being output and give zero fucks about the game's actual resolution, because HDTV's sold in the early-to-mid 2000's could be weird about supported resolutions. I had a Sony rear projection TV with component in that could do 480p and 1080i but could not do 720p; it would take a 720p signal but downsample it to 480p. A PS3 doesn't really have a proper scaler and the games themselves have to support the output (I think every game was required to have 480i, 480p and 720p as supported resolutions but anything else was flexible), and most games won't output an actual signal in 1080i or 1080p; like if I play GTA5 on my PS3, which is set to 1080p, the signal will actually change to 720p. This means that, if I was still using that rear projection TV, I could only actually play GTA5 on PS3 in 480p. However, the 360's upscaler is much more flexible and will actually upsample the 720p to 1080i, so the 360 version actually would look significantly better.

Basically if anyone had brought Sony and/or Microsoft to court about it in those days, those companies would have argued it was about the actual output signal and not the game's internal resolution and left it at that.

I remember trying to play the game with a projector at my brother's, but his could only output 720p, while the PS3's menu would output at a maximum resolution, which was 1080p - so it would be just blank screen with "output not supported" until the actual game started, scaled down to 720p and actually have some graphics. It took me a while to realize that could be changed with some changes to PS3's settings.

Also, maybe I just missed it, but I didn't see what the suit is actually fighting for - refunds, correction in the press, Sony's closing?

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

The claim that an expensive product selling hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of copies (and associated hardware) was advertised on false pretenses is not on the face of it frivolous. Misrepresentation being common in the games industry is an argument for more, not less, action to correct this problem.

The 2kool4skool self-loathing attitude goons like to adopt about anything they like that's too goony is really silly and dumb.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
I got a PS4 from a Christmas party. Any consensus on what games aren't a waste of time/are coming out soon?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

univbee posted:

:eng101: Actually some launch window 360 games don't have 1080p on the packaging since the earliest 360's couldn't do that resolution.

Heh, yes, I remember MS yapping about how unimportant 1080p was. I just thought going into all that as well as everything else would be too quibbly/pedantic.

Then again, what would taking about video game tech specs on the internet even be without quibbling pedantry? :v:

quote:

But yeah, the whole reason why that's a standard for the packaging on both the PS3 and 360 is that they are talking about the signal being output and give zero fucks about the game's actual resolution, because HDTV's sold in the early-to-mid 2000's could be weird about supported resolutions. I had a Sony rear projection TV with component in that could do 480p and 1080i but could not do 720p; it would take a 720p signal but downsample it to 480p. A PS3 doesn't really have a proper scaler and the games themselves have to support the output (I think every game was required to have 480i, 480p and 720p as supported resolutions but anything else was flexible), and most games won't output an actual signal in 1080i or 1080p; like if I play GTA5 on my PS3, which is set to 1080p, the signal will actually change to 720p. This means that, if I was still using that rear projection TV, I could only actually play GTA5 on PS3 in 480p. However, the 360's upscaler is much more flexible and will actually upsample the 720p to 1080i, so the 360 version actually would look significantly better.

Basically if anyone had brought Sony and/or Microsoft to court about it in those days, those companies would have argued it was about the actual output signal and not the game's internal resolution and left it at that.

Exactly, which is why I noted that it was 'technically true' since the boxes don't say 'native'. In much the same way, the claim that Shadow Fall's MP is native 1080p is also technically true (though, in my personal opinion, far less misleading), and if Sony actually lost this case it would be really ridiculous.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

dscruffy1 posted:

I got a PS4 from a Christmas party. Any consensus on what games aren't a waste of time/are coming out soon?

drat, that's some Christmas party. What genres do you like?

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

-Dethstryk- posted:

Shouldn't the collector in you also tell you that anything sold as a collectible is usually not going to be that valuable in the long run

Yeah but that is because most things sold as a collectible are then mass produced into the millions... there are only 10k of these things. Even stupid open box Net Yaroze systems go for $3-400 on eBay these days.

I'm getting one and I don't know what to do with it. I'm pretty sure I'm just going to open and play the gently caress out of it because who really cares in the long run about whatever profit I can wrangle... and the system does look pretty boss.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

abagofcheetos posted:

.I'm getting one and I don't know what to do with it. I'm pretty sure I'm just going to open and play the gently caress out of it because who really cares in the long run about whatever profit I can wrangle... and the system does look pretty boss.

I just opened mine with the same line of thinking. If anyone calls me a moron for opening it, well they may be right but gently caress it, I have something I really want and thats what matters.

Looks like I need to buy some games and import Guilty Gear Xrd from America now...

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I wanted to get one just to resell for stupid money. Also amiibos.

Wonderful Bread
Nov 11, 2013
Hey guys, I've got an issue with my DS4. My right trigger (R2) is resistant whenever I press it. It started up after my roommate's cokehead friend slept on our couch one weekend, likely on top of my PS4 remote. This hasn't been an issue until just recently, since I've only been playing Rebirth. Does anyone know if this is something that can be fixed? It works fine as long as I press the bottom of the trigger up towards the PS4 but gradually starts sticking again if I let it go.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

dscruffy1 posted:

Three more months until the only thing that gets recommended is Bloodborne. :v: Until then check out Dragon Age Inquisition, DriveClub, Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes, Far Cry 4, Tomb Raider, and The Last of Us.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Don Lapre posted:

I wanted to get one just to resell for stupid money. Also amiibos.

I'm hoping they release more just to gently caress that up. I wanted one for stupid nostalgia reasons.

Although this is also triggering me back to the days I worked at EB during the PS2 launch. Wild times.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I'd say Binding of Isaac is also a must-buy at this point.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

PantsBandit posted:

drat, that's some Christmas party. What genres do you like?

About the only things I'm not into are sports and racing. Ideally something I didn't already get on the PC or PS3, like Last of Us and Isaac and GTA5. I've heard good things about Second Son, for instance.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
edit: gently caress someone made this joke and I didn't refresh :(

VarXX fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Dec 18, 2014

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

abagofcheetos posted:

Yeah but that is because most things sold as a collectible are then mass produced into the millions... there are only 10k of these things. Even stupid open box Net Yaroze systems go for $3-400 on eBay these days.

I'm getting one and I don't know what to do with it. I'm pretty sure I'm just going to open and play the gently caress out of it because who really cares in the long run about whatever profit I can wrangle... and the system does look pretty boss.

destroy it

VarXX posted:

I'm going to sue every company that put out a game on the last gen consoles because every game last gen said 720p/1080p on the box but was actually 720x480 upscaled 99% of the time

that was MS/sony not the separate companies, they required it show which resolutions they would upscale to. also false advertising is poo poo and i cannot believe anyone would try and contest that, but the kill zone example is kinda the worst possible one to take through to court imo.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

BreakAtmo posted:

Heh, yes, I remember MS yapping about how unimportant 1080p was. I just thought going into all that as well as everything else would be too quibbly/pedantic.

Then again, what would taking about video game tech specs on the internet even be without quibbling pedantry? :v:

Exactly, which is why I noted that it was 'technically true' since the boxes don't say 'native'. In much the same way, the claim that Shadow Fall's MP is native 1080p is also technically true (though, in my personal opinion, far less misleading), and if Sony actually lost this case it would be really ridiculous.

Wouldn't this open up the floodgates to all sorts of BS suits? Like, if a game claimed 60fps but dipped down to 55fps in intense bits, now there would be precedent to sue for 'false advertising'.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Post a youtube of spraypainting "XBOX RULES NUMBER 1" on it

Stux posted:

that was MS/sony not the separate companies, they required it show which resolutions they would upscale to.

More importantly, it shows which resolutions your TV could be set to and still see the game. Remember that this was 2005/6 where TVs didn't always come with universal scalers that could convert anything to anything.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Spalec posted:

Wouldn't this open up the floodgates to all sorts of BS suits? Like, if a game claimed 60fps but dipped down to 55fps in intense bits, now there would be precedent to sue for 'false advertising'.

Honestly I think the most likely outcome from all this is that they're just going to stop advertising the resolution/framerate of console games full stop.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

dscruffy1 posted:

If you have friends who like to local co-op, Nidhogg, Sports Friends (game is not your typical sports game), and Towerfall: Ascension are all good times. Resogun is probably still the best Ps4 exclusive. There's a lot of stuff I would recommend in general but it's all multiplat. Assuming you haven't, or don't want to play these on some other platform, Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, Wolfenstein: New World Order, The Last of Us Remastered, GTA 5, and Shadows of Mordor are all really easy recommendations. If you want only the AAA completely exclusive games, then Infamous: Second Son is a good game. Not great but it's solid and easily worth the price now.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'm only about an hour into AC:Unity and I'm pretty blown away by how terrible it is. Combat is bad, FPS is sluggish, controls (besides the controlled descent thing, which is cool) seem worse than previous AC games, loading times are terrible, it hard-locked my PS4 before I got to the title screen...what a disappointment. I knew going in that it was bad, but yikes.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Stux posted:

destroy it

I might consider an experiment on how resilient 360s are to firearms in the spring... havent turned it on in years and the stupid thing barely even works anymore.

I bet that power brick could take a beating.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

dscruffy1 posted:

Bloodborne in a couple of months, definitely, if you like Souls games. Resogun is really cheap and a great "sit down and play for 20 minutes oops I just wasted 2 hours." Dragon Age Inquisition looks fantastic on the 4 and will give you shitloads of playtime if you like that sort of thing. MGS is a glorified (but really good) demo you can probably pick up for $20 and Phantom Pain comes out next year as well.

EC posted:

I'm only about an hour into AC:Unity and I'm pretty blown away by how terrible it is. Combat is bad, FPS is sluggish, controls (besides the controlled descent thing, which is cool) seem worse than previous AC games, loading times are terrible, it hard-locked my PS4 before I got to the title screen...what a disappointment. I knew going in that it was bad, but yikes.
I just got this as a Christmas gift, maybe I'll return it unopened and get something else :smith:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

abagofcheetos posted:

I might consider an experiment on how resilient 360s are to firearms in the spring... havent turned it on in years and the stupid thing barely even works anymore.

I bet that power brick could take a beating.

thats no fun as it isn't a limited edition playstation that people have been going mad over.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What are the differences between the PS4 and PC versions of Minecraft?

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

I said come in! posted:

Although I don't play Minecraft, I'd guess mods are where the biggest difference lies - I very much doubt the PS4 version supports them.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

I said come in! posted:

pc version is a bit ahead of the console versions in updates and mod support

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Szurumbur posted:

Although I don't play Minecraft, I'd guess mods are where the biggest difference lies - I very much doubt the PS4 version supports them.

I've never played Minecraft before, I don't really like playing games on PC, so i've been looking at the PS4 version since I can get it for $5.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

I said come in! posted:

I've never played Minecraft before, I don't really like playing games on PC, so i've been looking at the PS4 version since I can get it for $5.

From what I understand, the differences are typical consoles vs. PC situation - the PS 4 version is a bit smaller in terms of gameworld, though it's still fairly large, and of course you probably can't simply download whatever mod you wish. It still is perfectly fine game and Minecraft port in all regards, it seems.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The PC version map size is limited by physics

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Szurumbur posted:

From what I understand, the differences are typical consoles vs. PC situation - the PS 4 version is a bit smaller in terms of gameworld, though it's still fairly large, and of course you probably can't simply download whatever mod you wish. It still is perfectly fine game and Minecraft port in all regards, it seems.

this gets muddled as minecraft pc will just keep generating the world for an extremely long time so yeah, its smaller. but not like on the ps3/360 where the game world is significantly restricted to where you can hit the edges without major effort, the ps4 version is big enough that its not noticeable for a good while (36 times bigger i think?)

console versions have a tutorial and a simplified crafting system as well. instead of having to remember recipes you can simply pick from a list and i think its better honestly, most people mod the pc version to do that anyway.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Consoles also have splitscreen.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Just wanted to pop in and say that I just bought a ps4, my first playstation of any generation because last of us seems like a rad game.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

FCKGW posted:

Just wanted to pop in and say that I just bought a ps4, my first playstation of any generation because last of us seems like a rad game.

it is a really rad game

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How's multiplayer in Minecraft PS4? Is it pretty easy to find a gameworld to connect to and just play with random people?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

I said come in! posted:

How's multiplayer in Minecraft PS4? Is it pretty easy to find a gameworld to connect to and just play with random people?

if its like the other console version you can only play with friends and friends of friends etc through invites and inviting others.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Also the console versions have great controller support. I haven't played on PC in a while, but last time I did, you had to do all sorts of voodoo to get a controller working, and personally I feel like Minecraft is made for chilling out on the couch instead of sitting at a desk. But that's personal preference.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
The Crew is only £25 at Game in the UK at the moment. Worth it? I loved me some test drive unlimited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Bigsteve posted:

The Crew is only £25 at Game in the UK at the moment. Worth it? I loved me some test drive unlimited.

It's another UBISoft disaster. Very buggy game and the servers don't work, which is terrible because it's online only.

• Locked thread