Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jonny 290 posted:

If I had the urge or drive to go into politics or bureaucracy I would become FCC chairman and reallocate the spectrum such that any station that is not independent or independently owned would be stuck in the 102-108 ghetto. Suck it, Clear Channel. 88-92 would go religious just to keep them happy, and then 92-102 would become a 10 megahertz swath of community, LP and unlicensed FM.

gently caress some media ogliarchies

i dont get it whats bad about 102-108

infernal machines posted:

we have this in TO. i'm not entirely clear on the legality but the one i know of has existed for something like 20 years, they're run out of a co-op apartment complex and their transmission range is basically just the block or so around the complex.
here it is: Star Ray TV - UHF 15

looks like the CRTC is giving them some poo poo, but they're not shut down yet.

in the us tons of schools have very low power tv broadcasting licenses for only slightly larger ranges. some of them can even still do analog due to the power used

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

As a Millennial I posted:

lmfao did you accidentally meet mitch altman

:pcgaming:

:wom:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Nintendo Kid posted:

i dont get it whats bad about 102-108

Nothing; Clear Channel just doesn't deserve the amount of spectrum they currently ruin. Also it'd be less financial hit for them to reband to the high side than for a bunch of community/college stations.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

jonny290 start the separate radiothread

quote:

To whoever brought up weev: i am not sure what your point is considering I am probably the person on the internet who has argued about his endless loving bullshit shock tactic racism the most. YES YOU SHOULD HAVE KICKED HIM OUT.

I just do not understand why people are so intent on validating the truly lovely things people say. You have the right to say whatever you want. I have the right to tell you to stfu. As a culture, noisebridge has the right to say it does not tolerate certain kinds of speech, because it alienates huge portions of the potential outreached population.

If someone has an I AM A RAPIST tattoo on their face, I am not going to sit around and ponder whether it's ironic or whether they are just loving stupid. Give me a loving break. I cannot believe that we are even having to discuss this and I cannot believe that on another thread there is some bullshit about a guy trying to defend himself court of law style over whether he groped a girl or not, as if she isn't a grown loving adult who is capable of talking about what happened to her and what she directly witnessed to her person.

Noisebridge: you continue to outdo yourself. hep out. *mike drop*

pram
Jun 10, 2001
free weev

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

pram posted:

free weev

with purchase of full-priced weev of equal or greater value

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

pram posted:

free weev

ooh he'd be great @ noisebridge

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

pram posted:

free weev

no don't

you'd have to pay me an awful lot to house teh weev

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

minivanmegafun posted:

no don't

you'd have to pay me an awful lot to house teh weev

Not me. i've got a shovel and a few hours

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

Not me. i've got a shovel and a few hours

are we building a mud hut?? ?:)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Mido posted:

are we building a mud hut?? ?:)

you might call it that

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

cool cool I like mud huts :) *digs vigilantly*

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

You won't have noisebridge to kick around forever!!

Meeting Notes 2014 12 16 posted:

Financial report
We're broke.
No we're not!
We have three months in the bank. $27,868, roughly $10k of which is NoiseTor.
Would be nice to have more.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

i hate the stupid wiki formatting they use for their meeting notes

quote:

About Rayc
What happened?

Mitch: this tears me apart :(
He has become very hurtful recently. He was screaming and yelling violently at people.
Rayc has been doing excellent things for Noisberidge in the last few months.
Noisebridge has been through his cycle several times
First time Mitch has been on his poo poo-list.
Was caught sleeping on top of the elevator. Never did take responsibility. Was temporarily banned by consensus. Didn't stay away for the whole 6 months; people let him come back early.
Recently after a long positive part of his cycle, he hit a negative part of his cycle, and yelling at people. It became apparent that he was living here again recently. Was again asked to take a break a few days ago, but didn't, more screaming and yelling violently.
People need to help him find help outside of NB.

Kevin: Last week, late at night, there was an agreement from Rayc with Kevin and Torrie that he would take a break. He went to sudo room for a day, and then returned.
Can this be another temporary break instead of permanent?

Mitch: needs to be years

Torrie: everything is temporary.

Bill: i find it hard to believe he does things out of no reason. ok, he was living here again, sounds like he's homeless. So, if he isn't here, he has nowhere to be? How to help him?

Pod: commenting as an outsider, only known him 2 months. Haven't seen his dark side, always super positive, very sad to hear he won't be around here to work with. Did see some progression of him getting a little nutty with devotion to the electrical project, seen this before where people put a lot into a community and then expect some support in return. Can't this community support him now?

Mitch: not in the space anymore.

Torrie: He needs love and support. We've given what we can.

Fiona: maybe people who've worked with him can do some sort of intervention to get him to seek professional help. wide range of services available in SF, but only he can do it. also make it clear it isn't a permanent ban.

Mitch: he has gotten a lot of support from people in the community; seems impossible to get past a wall once he decides something is a certain way. Anyone else would've been kicked out long ago; people like him.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

quote:

# some beings want you to walk on eggshells even @ NB.
# bet you 73 bitcoins if it was a black chick with ink that said>>
# black pride or black power or another culture doing the same>>
# NO ONE would say a word about it, especially to them.
# do they actually know what the asian ink SAYS and MEANS>>
# that comes through the house?
# the latino ink?
# the russian ink?
# the invisible ink?
# nope.

# +1 jim
# and white power isn't always a racial slogan it's the rascist minds>>
# and race baiters that interpret it that way and want others to.
# though of course it *is* used by beings with negative intonation.
# how does anyone know he didn't do it in the pen to get affiliated and>>
# survive.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

"[Noisebridge-discuss posted:

[SPAM] Re: Red asked to leave."]

quote:

You know what I don't care what you think. I will continue to exercise my brain instead of simply reacting to things without thought. If that makes me racist in your eyes so be it. You can continue to pretend that you have a monopoly on suffering and fear to feel superior.
yeah, everything here is certainly about how i stated i have a monopoly on suffering, and not just trying to defend myself and other minorities from continuing to feel the suffering that we experience in all other walks of life at noisebridge, while a bunch of white guys stand around and justify it and tell us to get over it. and people wonder why minorities need minority only safe spaces to feel safe in, it's because of situations exactly like this.

[...]

i honestly cannot even believe that people are actually saying "oh minorities, why can't you just be nice to the skinhead, you are part of the problem". because fyi: this is exactly what you are saying. perhaps you might want to rethink your position because it is one of incredible privilege that simultaneously erases the experiences of minorities in this country and tells them to just get over their on-going oppressions and struggles.

quote:

quote:

I wonder if you might want to join me in hosting an anti-racism workshop in the space some time in the next few weeks
I think this is a great idea. I've only been coming into the space for a few weeks but there's a few frightening things I've noticed.

I would love to help out on this workshop. We should get the white power guy to come and put him on the spot, then once we've destroyed his arguments and he's banned from the space, have the SFPD kick his rear end outside the gate downstairs. This should give everyone in the neighbourhood a good impression that peckerwood whiteys need to watch their step here.

I also think we should put together some sort of anti-sexuality workshop. A week or so ago when I was cleaning up the kitchen, I saw someone I didn't recognize. This guy had a gay pride tattoo on their arm and were wearing a black shirt with 'breeders for fertilizer' written on it under a denim vest. This is also hate speech, and if anyone recognizes this person he should be asked to leave as well.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

quote:

While Noisebridge is not kink-un-friendly, as we try to be welcoming to all, it is not part of sex-play community, and is in fact on the other end of the spectrum wrt to safety. Your scene is at The Citadel, bro, not here.
Come here to solder your vibrator, not use it.

quote:

Man, how can this keep happening, Dru? Every time you stick your hand down
the pants of someone while ostensibly help them intravenously inject
medicine in the corner of a place that's for teaching Python, it seems like
otherwise rational people leap to all kind of grotesque misunderstandings!

Can't a person pursue their non-creepy pursuit of entirely consensual
sexuality in a dark corner of a hackerspace without having the thought
police come along and misinterpret their defences of entirely unwarranted
semi-naked drug shooting up complaints by the person who had their pants
entered as something *grotesque*? What's our culture coming to?

This is just like that time when the white power tattooed chap came into
the space, and people were in some way disturbed by their narrowminded
assumption that somebody who has a creed that specifically calls for the
death or expatriation of people based on their race TATTOOED ONTO THEIR
NECK might be in some way disturbing to others, or worse, might even have
some sympathy to that particular opinion.

How do people get so prissy and close-minded that a person can't tattoo
nazi imagery onto the back of their neck, then, when asked to help out with
the shooting up of medicine in a dark corner of a place for soldering
Arduinos, can't cop a quick feel without everyone turning into all
"lah-di-dah maybe we should talk about your behaviour in a semi-serious
fashion" thought police?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

just read this. all of this.

https://www.noisebridge.net/pipermail/noisebridge-discuss/2013-June/037528.html

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
https://plus.google.com/+HannahGrimm/posts/5517czLTefa

quote:

I've been spending time at Noisebridge for the last year, and in that time, I've been harassed by multiple people on many different occasions, almost always with members present. Never once has a member intervened or spoken up on my behalf: not when Weev called me a oval office or made anti-semitic, anti-mormon, anti-woman, anti-gay jokes loudly in the space, not when someone loudly (and descriptively) told me about the "sluts" they double-penetrated the night before, not when an individual (upon seeing me about to leave the space on my Powerisers) declared "I love your stilts. I'm going to make you my bride and then those will be mine" before slapping my rear end as I was leaving just a few weeks ago. The closest thing I have felt to supported in the space was when one individual decided to doocratically paint over the bathroom wall, which at the time was covered in images of maimed and broken crying women with enormous tits and waists so thin they would make Barbie jealous. It has become abundantly clear to most women in the space that "Be Excellent" has failed us.

Any other night, the telling of these stories would simply have been an explanation of why we were willing to let go of Noisebridge, why we were ready to withdraw from the community, but that night we had just come from a room full of interesting, engaging, awesome feminist hackers, and I had sitting in my email a very clear anti-harassment policy that had been created by the good folks at the +Ada Initiative and the ladies of Double Union. Once the dust had settled, we made a proposal: to adopt an anti-harassment policy, post it visibly in the space, and empower members to remove the toxic elements from the community, without having to go through the consensus process to do so. The policy we proposed is as follows:

Noisebridge is dedicated to providing a harassment-free experience for everyone, regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, or religion. We do not tolerate harassment of people at our events or space in any form. Sexual language and imagery should be only be used for positive purposes in accordance with best practices advocated by professional sex educators (if you’re not sure what those are, don’t do it). People violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled from the space or the event at the discretion of any Noisebridge member.

Harassment includes offensive verbal comments related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, religion, sexual images in public spaces, deliberate intimidation, stalking, following, harassing photography or recording, sustained disruption of talks or other events, inappropriate physical contact, and unwelcome sexual attention. People asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately."

The key strength of the policy is that it allows a member to kick someone out, without requiring consensus to do so. This prevents the situation we've sadly been dealing with in which individuals have blocked attempts to remove predators from the space, but brought some concerns about evidence and the possibility of innocent people being excluded. The policy did pass (provisionally), but not without objection. The arguments against it were the standard ones: free speech, false accusations, and straight-up denial of there being a problem at all. A few people expressed concerns about the possibility of the policy being used in retaliatory ways (the old "false-rape accusations" argument), including Monad, the lone member who threatened to block. He, of course is responsible for perhaps the best quote of the night: "The first sentence is fine.....the rest of it is just stupid to me."

Monad was demonstrating exactly the problem Noisebridge has had for years. He was fine with the idea of there being a policy, with saying "Noisebridge is dedicated to providing a harassment-free experience," but he balked at the idea of defining what harassment was or creating any system by which it could be dealt with. In short, he wanted to simply be able to say "be excellent" and have it happen, but wasn't willing to accept that for some things, specifics are needed.

Some arguments, especially those that erupted on twitter after Leif Ryge, a Noisebridge member, tweeted his displeasure about the policy [2], centered on the idea that it was tantamount to censorship, banning "sexual imagery and language." Of course, Leif's tweet was misleading, as the policy doesn't ban sexual language & imagery entirely, just mandates that "Sexual language and imagery should be only be used for positive purposes." It's a far cry from the "censorship" that some people are claiming this represents.

In the end, we weren't able to convince Monad from backing down on his threat to block, a position he justified by claiming that the policy might be used alongside false accusations as a way of removing people you don't like from the space, so we settled on a compromise: to pass the measure with an expiration date, so that we could have a few months to tweak the language, perfect it and smooth out any issues, and see whether or not any of these "false accusations" that are so often the favorite arguments of rape apologists actually occurred. To those of you that believe that the policy is needed, but needs some tweaking, I hope that you will use the time between now and January to iron out the details and come back with an even better policy: one that makes it clear that harassment is not acceptable behavior in the space, that still has teeth, and that can draw clear lines and boundaries that ensure that unwanted sexual attention is unacceptable while perhaps approaching the issue from a slightly more sex-positive standpoint. The policy has been posted on github [3]. Let's make it better.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

quote:

when one individual decided to doocratically paint over the bathroom wall, which at the time was covered in images of maimed and broken crying women with enormous tits and waists so thin they would make Barbie jealous.

lol

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i wonder if, as an alpha male, i could just walk in there and totally take over the joint and have dozens of nerds building toys for me and all the women at my feet

i mean it's just ripe for taking ownership of but nobody seems to be doing it so why not me?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Tim Polt posted:

wow let women in hacker/anarchist space, next thing you know there is harassment policy in place.... Not that I disagree that people should be treated well but having to police anarchist place sounds like a hosed up idea to me. "Be excellent to each other" - should be more than enough, if it does not work its another issue, but this taking it to far.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sniep posted:

i wonder if, as an alpha male, i could just walk in there and totally take over the joint and have dozens of nerds building toys for me and all the women at my feet

i mean it's just ripe for taking ownership of but nobody seems to be doing it so why not me?

yeah just bring in a working electronics project

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Nintendo Kid posted:

yeah just bring in a working electronics project

im pretty sure just an Idea will work

i dont have time to implement, that's what they are for

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Sniep posted:

i'll start the page on the noisebridge wiki

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sniep posted:

bring a sane idea, become their king

bring a working project, become their god

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Nintendo Kid posted:

bring a sane idea, doocratically become their king

bring a working project, doocratically become their god

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

they defend against outside threats through the clever use of dangerously faulty wiring, leaking plumbing, holes in the walls and piles of human feces everywhere

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

if you are an outsider the homeless man sleeping on top of the elevator will jump down into the car and press the emergency button

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

pseudorandom name posted:

they defend against outside threats through the clever use of dangerously faulty wiring, leaking plumbing, holes in the walls and piles of human feces everywhere

their defenses are weakening. they passed their electrical inspection

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

Was caught sleeping on top of the elevator.
:holymoley:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

mission impossible reboot lookin kinda lovely

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012

Sniep posted:

sounds like lots of people are owning the space, except for the people using it as intended.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How does a special room only accessible by the elevator work. Does he mean its in some sort of crawlspace above the elevator when its at the top of the shaft, Or just a regular floor without stair access.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
if you bring in an idea and let these idiots work on it they'll probably accidentally murder you with it

"[Noisebridge-discuss posted:

About the missing robotic arm on wheel chair robot"]Hi Hao,

I have the robotic arm on my shelf. Some people thought it was too unweildy, and the robot is dangerous enough without it.

It has pneumatic actuators on it, which is to say that originally it was operated with a pressurized air source and solenoids (which I don't have) to move it around. I feel that the appropriate way to use it now is to fit it with electrical motors (which I do have) and let the pneumatic cylinders remain as the movement support structure. Although I hardly care what is done with it if someone else takes the initiative.

If you are at noisebridge the same time as me, I will get the arm out for you, or i can do that ahead of time and put it somewhere you can get to it. I would like to hear about the arm you're making, and what you hope to do with it.

Your project sounds very interesting.

quote:

Unwieldy would be one way to describe it. Dangerous would be a more accurate way.

The last time I saw the robot in use, it was randomly crashing in to bikes and had no functional emergency stop mechanism. It was quite challenging to stop it.

The motors are high torque and fast. Without the arm, the robot is pretty dangerous. With it, it is potentially lethal.

I would encourage you to consider safety first and figure out how to properly control and stop the robot before you make it even more dangerous.

quote:

The robot already has a safety mechanism. You can't get it to move without a login and some knowledge of how the scripts work. The incident with the robot crashing into the bikes was when a certain person (who is a member of noisebridge) was entrusted with that access and handed the controls over to some kids, unsupervised. These were the same kids who, one of which at least, would entertain himself by cutting the wires off of things in the hack shelves and crushing cellphones in the vise in the shop, or sawing cellular phones in half... who knows what else.

Anyway, if you want to supply a giant red button, i'll wire it in.

-jake

quote:

That's good to know. At the time it want clear to me what was going on.

That being said, the first problem I saw with the robot ramming somebody was caused by the operator simply not paying enough attention to where it was. The guy controlling it was hacking on some control related system and let the robot operate well outside of a distance that allowed him to see what was going on. I'm not really sure how you fix that sort of problem.

quote:

I have a big-assed red estop button just waiting for a use. I'll drop it on your shelf.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
wow it sounds like it'd be impossible to actually make progress on any kind of project at noise bridge

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
altho it provides a wanna be hacker a good excuse for why he hasn't followed through on any of his pie in the sky ideas

oh i swear i had it working perfectly last night but then someone pooped on it, cut the wires, and crushed it in a vice grip

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

quote:

These were the same kids who, one of which at least, would entertain himself by cutting the wires off of things in the hack shelves and crushing cellphones in the vise in the shop, or sawing cellular phones in half... who knows what else.

21st century version of hacking your neighbors cat into small chunks

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i looked it up btw and "noisetor" is just some tor nodes set up at noisebridge which they beg for donations for, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
if you want to stir the hornets nest, just go on the mailing list and do a "mens rights hacking" night suggestion and claim you're from redpill or voices for men

• Locked thread