Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
movax
Aug 30, 2008

Dead Reckoning posted:

I have to admit, a movie with "assassinate a named, sitting head of state" as a plot point seems pretty out there.

Day of the Dolphin :getin:

e: ok, so not quite, but I love that movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

The fact that the embargo against Cuba has lasted 50+ years is ridiculous.

Furiously masturbating over the purported superiority of the Cuban government is also ridiculous. Where did these people post before D&D?

Its pretty lol though how it's managed to develop a better healthcare system than the US despite the embargo and its was sweet having a place in the Caribbean you could go to that wasn't full of boomers who'd been vomited up by some grotesque cruise ship.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Musharraf blames India for the attack on that school in Peshwar.

NPR also broadcast part of an interview where he blamed the US for letting the Taliban run out of control in Afghanistan, which made me nearly punch my car's radio.

The CIA should've killed him instead of getting him a retirement palace in Turkey.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Its pretty lol though how it's managed to develop a better healthcare system than the US despite the embargo and its was sweet having a place in the Caribbean you could go to that wasn't full of boomers who'd been vomited up by some grotesque cruise ship.

It's full of ugly UK boomers instead.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Dec 18, 2014

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Boats full of guns for hire

I saw this on the BBC and thought, wow, that must be so cool, then thought, HAHAHAHA no.... maybe not the best idea to have shipping containers of hi-tech military gear floating about in pirate infested waters.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

Its pretty lol though how it's managed to develop a better healthcare system than the US

If people have unfucked access to care you're ahead of the US, though. There's a lot of stuff we do great, then there's health care. And a shitload of other things.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Burt posted:

I saw this on the BBC and thought, wow, that must be so cool, then thought, HAHAHAHA no.... maybe not the best idea to have shipping containers of hi-tech military gear floating about in pirate infested waters.

It's not that big of a deal. Somali pirates generally get scared off by having water hoses sprayed at them (literally), let alone bullets.

This is a much better solution then what they were doing before which was tossing all of thier guns overboard every time they pulled in, and then buying new ones off the black market when they got back underway

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
"The government has no respect for privacy!!!!"

But two things that the public thinks is awesome as poo poo:
>Fappening
>Sony Leaks

Also butthurt about:
>PirateBay taken down

Major breaches of privacy and breaking the law is hella tight as long as you're the one doing it

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Analogical posted:

>Fappening
>Sony Leaks

Also butthurt about :
>PirateBay taken down

Major breaches of privacy and breaking the law is hella tight as long as you're the one doing it

All 3 of those things are cool and I mostly feel bad for whatever dude in the NSA has to read my boring rear end emails and texts/look at my dick pics.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Analogical posted:

>Fappening
>Sony Leaks

Also butthurt about :
>PirateBay taken down

P.sure if what the NSA was doing was intercepting and releasing celebrity nudes people would have been cool with it.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

P.sure if what the NSA was doing was intercepting and releasing celebrity nudes people would have been cool with it.

Not gonna lie, with few exceptions, I kind of wish the fappening never happened. Not out of respect for anyone's privacy, but because it kind of sucked to see what some of these people look like without airbrushing(Jlaws butthole aside).

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

I'm still waiting for the poo poo to hit the fan over our Cuba deal yesterday.

I can't believe everything south of Fort Pierce isn't being burned to the ground by a bunch of angry spics.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Burt posted:

http://marsec-union.com/

"4 Nigerian teams, Armed with AK47 – Insured Lagos, Police navy in Nigerian waters $12500 weekly ! Best MarSec deal in West Africa"

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Burt posted:

Trident had a barge at Port Suez they kept their weapons on but the Egyptian government didn't like losing out on the money so they managed to sink it or something. Egypt charges like $100k+ a month to store weapons and like that article says there are a lot of countries that are uncomfortable with ships carrying weapons. Nigeria won't let ships carry weapons but that is probably because the government officials are getting a cut of any hijacking cash.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Genocide Tendency posted:

I'm still waiting for the poo poo to hit the fan over our Cuba deal yesterday.

I can't believe everything south of Fort Pierce isn't being burned to the ground by a bunch of angry spics.

According to polls, about 60% of Cuban-Americans are in favor of the shift, with a vocal minority opposed. Republicans will block any substantive changes anyway, at least until one of theirs gets in the White House and they can stop reflexively screaming and making GBS threads themselves every time the president opens his mouth.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The dichotomy between the Obama administration's foreign and domestic policies is very odd.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Some Butte, Montana wannabe thugs picked the wrong house...

http://empirenews.net/bin-laden-shooter-rob-oneill-mistakenly-attacked-by-street-thugs-seeking-to-collect-debt-from-neighbor/

Robert O’Neill, the former United States Navy SEAL who shot and killed Osama Bin Laden, had his home mistakenly invaded by members of a street gang this morning shortly after 1AM. O’Neill was uninjured, the five intruders all suffered injuries and remain hospitalized, but are expected to make a full recovery. Their names were not released in anticipation of the oncoming media storm.

Butte Police Commissioner Bartholomew S. Harrington told members of the Associated Press in a brief press conference that the five men, part of a local street gang connected with the infamous Crips, were seeking to collect on a drug debt and invaded the wrong house, with the intended target just so happening to be the next door neighbor of O’Neill’s.

“Mr. O’Neill had just turned in for the night, but was awoken by a loud crash when his backdoor was abruptly kicked in. As the five thugs ran aimlessly through the home, Mr. O’Neill used silent hand-to-hand combat tactics to individually disarm them of their weapons. Once Mr. O’Neill had taken down the five men and secured his home, he brewed a pot of coffee and called the police station. Those boys sure did find the wrong house!” commissioner Harrington said as he chuckled.

O’Neill had little to say on the matter when Butte Daily Times journalist Kevin Williamson interviewed the celebrated war hero.

“It was nothing really. Those kids didn’t have their mission planned out properly and hit the wrong target. I hated to break their wrists and dislocate each of their knees like I did, but it was necessary in order to immobilize the invasion. I hope they get the money that is owed to them once they get out of jail and decide to live better lives. My main concern is getting my back door fixed. Those boys really did a number on the door jamb,” O’Neill stated.

The neighbor who was the intended target seems to have abandoned home and has not been found by police. According to the men in custody, the debt was over a $50 bag of marijuana.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Arishtat posted:

Some Butte, Montana wannabe thugs picked the wrong house...

http://empirenews.net/bin-laden-shooter-rob-oneill-mistakenly-attacked-by-street-thugs-seeking-to-collect-debt-from-neighbor/

Robert O’Neill, the former United States Navy SEAL who shot and killed Osama Bin Laden, had his home mistakenly invaded by members of a street gang this morning shortly after 1AM. O’Neill was uninjured, the five intruders all suffered injuries and remain hospitalized, but are expected to make a full recovery. Their names were not released in anticipation of the oncoming media storm.

Butte Police Commissioner Bartholomew S. Harrington told members of the Associated Press in a brief press conference that the five men, part of a local street gang connected with the infamous Crips, were seeking to collect on a drug debt and invaded the wrong house, with the intended target just so happening to be the next door neighbor of O’Neill’s.

“Mr. O’Neill had just turned in for the night, but was awoken by a loud crash when his backdoor was abruptly kicked in. As the five thugs ran aimlessly through the home, Mr. O’Neill used silent hand-to-hand combat tactics to individually disarm them of their weapons. Once Mr. O’Neill had taken down the five men and secured his home, he brewed a pot of coffee and called the police station. Those boys sure did find the wrong house!” commissioner Harrington said as he chuckled.

O’Neill had little to say on the matter when Butte Daily Times journalist Kevin Williamson interviewed the celebrated war hero.

“It was nothing really. Those kids didn’t have their mission planned out properly and hit the wrong target. I hated to break their wrists and dislocate each of their knees like I did, but it was necessary in order to immobilize the invasion. I hope they get the money that is owed to them once they get out of jail and decide to live better lives. My main concern is getting my back door fixed. Those boys really did a number on the door jamb,” O’Neill stated.

The neighbor who was the intended target seems to have abandoned home and has not been found by police. According to the men in custody, the debt was over a $50 bag of marijuana.

quote:

Empire News is a satirical and entertainment website. We only use invented names in all our stories, except in cases when public figures are being satirized. Any other use of real names is accidental and coincidental.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Shh.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Ah yes, reputable news source empire news, thanks for the Facebook post grandma!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
There's so many of these dumb clickbait satire/news sites occupying space on the internet. I love to see what someone on Facebook thinks qualifies as a viable news source.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Slim Pickens posted:

Ah yes, reputable news source empire news, thanks for the Facebook post grandma!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

from the russia.jpg thread

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Zeroisanumber posted:

According to polls, about 60% of Cuban-Americans are in favor of the shift, with a vocal minority opposed. Republicans will block any substantive changes anyway, at least until one of theirs gets in the White House and they can stop reflexively screaming and making GBS threads themselves every time the president opens his mouth.

Im based out of a Miami office, and my father is Colombian who started and runs a construction and maintenance company in Miami since 1991. He had a business meeting near Versailles on 8th street (Calle Ocho) yesterday right after the news broke. Thats where people go when poo poo happens. He was coming out and told me it was a mad house, news trucks everywhere, all the spanish channels, cubans waiving flags and poo poo, giving speeches. He listened a bit and talked to some of his Cuban managers and everyone was pretty heated and against it. This is an older generation though so :shrug:

I work in enterprise software, and we have a few younger cuban people in my office who are slightly older than me and they were all about it, stoked to get some cuban rum and cigars. One of the guys was talkin about tryin to buy up property around the embassy to rent to Americans

Idk, reports from the ground make of it what you will

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYD9xu92zSg

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

gfanikf posted:

Florida Cuban reaction will be hilarious to watch though.

Guy I know's family has immmigrant Cubans and they're freaking the hell out about Obama helping Castro and letting Communists in. They are angry. It is hilarious.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
Goddamn it just let me believe wicked cool poo poo like that.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Just read the story I posted in the drunk thread about the ranger and his buddies getting into a firefight with drug dealers in Tacoma.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Slim Pickens posted:

About the only thing I miss about not having a facebook account anymore is laughing at people who get legit outraged over stuff they've read on The Onion/Christwire/Empire News etc.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
What's funny is that empire story even reads like some fake stuff. It's not even good satire.

AllDogsGoodDogs
Dec 30, 2008

Nuclear Tourist posted:

About the only thing I miss about not having a facebook account anymore is laughing at people who get legit outraged over stuff they've read on The Onion/Christwire/Empire News etc.
I think one of the funnier Duffleblog reactions I seen was the one about Guantanamo Bay inmates receiving GI Bill benefits.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Don't worry, they've literally started automatically adding satire labels to facebook posts linking to The Onion/Duffleblog, etc.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

psydude posted:

Don't worry, they've literally started automatically adding satire labels to facebook posts linking to The Onion/Duffleblog, etc.

The people who believe The Onion is real have too many spare chromosomes to know what the word "satire" means.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Fart Sandwiches posted:

What's funny is that empire story even reads like some fake stuff. It's not even good satire.

I think that's their deal. It's deliberately fake news designed as clickbait, the satire thing is hallow because there are never any actual jokes.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

Burt posted:

BBC News posted:

India's navy has seized floating armouries

...and immediately begun a Bollywood musical routine.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Best Friends posted:

I think that's their deal. It's deliberately fake news designed as clickbait, the satire thing is hallow because there are never any actual jokes.

yeah they're a poor knock off of the Onion or the Duffelblog, which are actually funny

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Don't forget the ultra hipster satire site McSweeneys or whatever.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Mustang posted:

yeah they're a poor knock off of the Onion or the Duffelblog, which are actually funny

They don't even want to be in the same league as the onion, fake news brings in ad revenue and the satire disclaimer just releases them from any liability. It's the next lovely level of clickbait listicle sites.

Speaking of actual satire, though, clickhole is an onion offshoot and is pretty drat funny.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

http://gizmodo.com/movie-theaters-cant-even-show-team-america-now-because-1672828807

I thought "don't let petulant angry fat kids push you around" was a lesson most of us learned in kindergarten but guess not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

What the gently caress is North Korea going to do? People being terrified of a country that can't even feed its own people while being trapped in the 1950's is so mind blowingly retarded I can't even comprehend it.

• Locked thread