Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

muon posted:

Love me some (I assume) release promo bulk rares!

Sandsteppe Mastodon - Rare - 5GG
Creature - Elephant
Reach
When Sandsteppe Mastodon enters the battlefield Bolster 5 (Choose a creature with the least toughness or tied with the least toughness among creatures you control. Put 5 +1/+1 counters on it.)
5/5

Bolster is a neat mechanic though.

You think that's the Abzan promo? If so, odd it isn't a white creature. Maybe just the event promo. Seems like a strong limited card anyway, and neat that it sounds like each clan gets a new mechanic. I was hoping for more Delve cards, but there's probably only so much you can do with the mechanics.

Having reach, that thing could turn a game around if played onto an empty board as a 10/10 for 7. Getting a 5/5 and turning the smallest guy you have into a fattie doesn't seem at all bad either. And boster seems nicely complimentary of the Abzan "counter lord" guys, a few cheap ones with Bolster 1-2 should do a good job of enabling them. So maybe Sultai will have something for loading the graveyard. Completely random thought, I think Transmute might work well for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

muon posted:

Creature - Elephant
Reach
When Sandsteppe Mastodon enters the battlefield Bolster 5 (Choose a creature with the least toughness or tied with the least toughness among creatures you control. Put 5 +1/+1 counters on it.)
5/5

Doran EDH will like this guy. Not a Treefolk, but pumping another dude (Doran, for example), as well as being a 5/5 itself isn't bad.

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene

BizarroAzrael posted:

You think that's the Abzan promo? If so, odd it isn't a white creature. Maybe just the event promo. Seems like a strong limited card anyway, and neat that it sounds like each clan gets a new mechanic. I was hoping for more Delve cards, but there's probably only so much you can do with the mechanics.

Having reach, that thing could turn a game around if played onto an empty board as a 10/10 for 7. Getting a 5/5 and turning the smallest guy you have into a fattie doesn't seem at all bad either. And boster seems nicely complimentary of the Abzan "counter lord" guys, a few cheap ones with Bolster 1-2 should do a good job of enabling them. So maybe Sultai will have something for loading the graveyard. Completely random thought, I think Transmute might work well for them.
I think it's the Launch promo, like Dragon Throne of Tarkir was for KTK.

Also guessing they're going to go with the usual 1-2 new mechanics, not 5 new ones.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Sandsteppe Mastadon + Sage of Hours would be neat.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Bolster seems really good for whip decks.

:suicide:

Gina like vagina
May 8, 2007

"Tears of the Mariners."

I think I read a review of that. Thought it was one of those baseball stories like "Pride of the Yankees", you know? But it's just about some crabby old sailors, stuck in this little town.
I have a quick question if anyone can answer. When Yavimaya Coast says: 'Tap: Add Green or Blue to your mana pool. Yavimaya Coast deals 1 damage to you.' Where do you assign that damage? Does it have to be to your life total or can you assign it to a creature/token?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Krigen posted:

I have a quick question if anyone can answer. When Yavimaya Coast says: 'Tap: Add Green or Blue to your mana pool. Yavimaya Coast deals 1 damage to you.' Where do you assign that damage? Does it have to be to your life total or can you assign it to a creature/token?

Sorry bud, it's to you, the player.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

muon posted:

Creature - Elephant
Reach
5/5

I love how anti-synergystic this keworkd is with Sylvan Caryatid. :negative:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Entropic posted:

I love how anti-synergystic this keworkd is with Sylvan Caryatid. :negative:

Probably better that way or else the Abzan decks would likely somehow get durdlier than they are presently..

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
That thing is a house in Limited.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Bolster seems really good for whip decks.

:suicide:

Yeah but you're not gonna play that Durdly Elephant over Hornet Queen.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I'm assuming there will be like a 1G 1/2 Bolster 1 or something.

Probably no Outlast creatures in FRF, but some other +1/+1 counter in DTK, so Bolster gets to play nice with both.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I think what I like best about Bolsterphant is that he can buff himself if he's alone or somehow your smallest dude.

Also, I'd like to point out to the people who will inevitably speculate about Bolster cards that Bolster is an action (like Proliferate), not a keyword ability (like Extort), so you could have such as "XG - Sorcery - Bolster X." It's not just an ETB thing.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

They've made it a keyword action and not an ability. So, presumably it's going to be on more than etb triggers, and will be stapled on spells. e:f,b

It also combos great with Charging badger.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

They've made it a keyword action and not an ability. So, presumably it's going to be on more than etb triggers, and will be stapled on spells. e:f,b

It also combos great with Charging badger.

Finally, I knew keeping forty copies of that card around was going to pay off.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I would absolutely love it if Crackling Doom was shoehorned into Khans to deal with an otherwise overpowering Bolster Bogles deck. :allears:

EDIT: Also this seems like a pretty Temur mechanic, and synergizes nicely with the 4/2 Khan.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

LordSaturn posted:

I would absolutely love it if Crackling Doom was shoehorned into Khans to deal with an otherwise overpowering Bolster Bogles deck. :allears:

EDIT: Also this seems like a pretty Temur mechanic, and synergizes nicely with the 4/2 Khan.

Well the Elephant has the Abzan watermark, so it's either theirs or not specific to a Clan. Bolster as a name seems to fit Abzan too, the most like a formal military.

Erdos
Dec 31, 2005
So maybe they are giving each clan a different signature mechanic than they had in khans? Let's all wildly speculate on the other four. Dredge for sultai?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Erdos posted:

So maybe they are giving each clan a different signature mechanic than they had in khans? Let's all wildly speculate on the other four. Dredge for sultai?

There is no way they would put Dredge in the same standard format as Cruise and Dig.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

mcmagic posted:

There is no way they would put Dredge in the same standard format as Cruise and Dig.

There will totally be a Dredge/Delve card in Dragons!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

BizarroAzrael posted:

There will totally be a Dredge/Delve card in Dragons!

I mean, that's a much safer bet than there being one in FRF since Ken "I loving hate dredge" Nagle is leading FRF.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Necroplasm is a cool card you guys

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
If it adds +1/+1 counters I'm going to be using it in my cube. I hope there's a big white bolster creature and a small black bolster creature.

weird vanilla
Mar 20, 2002
When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Well the Elephant has the Abzan watermark, so it's either theirs or not specific to a Clan. Bolster as a name seems to fit Abzan too, the most like a formal military.

It fits with the Abzan flavor of endurance, strengthening the weakest link in the chain, etc.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

I thinks it's safe to assume it's Abzan, it fits the flavor of the clan pretty well.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
gently caress it, let's blow this whole thing wide open. Dredge 4 lyfe.

May every set redefine all formats.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

I Love You! posted:

Dredge is love, dredge is life.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 18, 2014

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I don't like how Abzan treats their elephants. At least in Temur they're equals. :colbert:

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Zoness posted:

Dredge is love, dredge is life.

Don't tell that to Ken Nagle.

Not that I agree with him, I think there's great fun to be had in graveyard stuff, and Dredge is one of the most interesting decks to watch (Manaless especially so)

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Dredge is cool in itself, but not printable with Delve. I do think Transmute works though, and is also in-colour for Sultai.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Serperoth posted:

Don't tell that to Ken Nagle.

Not that I agree with him, I think there's great fun to be had in graveyard stuff, and Dredge is one of the most interesting decks to watch (Manaless especially so)

My favorite part of dredge is when people realize that despite having dealt with my primary plan there's still way more zombies than they can deal with in play.

Like at GPNJ I was staring down a board of Thalia (which means you can literally cast nothing as manaless of course) and Batterskull but 14 zombie tokens generated by just letting ichordis die is still enough to smash through that.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

I Love You! posted:

May every set redefine all formats.

A card with the name LOL, no mana cost, text that says this card cannot be played, and Dredge 20

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Jabor posted:

Nice in a deck with non-Caryatid mana dorks, since it makes two sizeable threats for effectively one card.

That's still 7 mana and 3 fewer threats than Hornet Queen though, so I don't see it making too much Constructed impact.

e: Bolster isn't targeted (you choose on resolution)? Seems neat.

Card looks like the Green starter deck promo, really.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Don't we already know that green is temur, black is sultai, blue is jeskai, red is mardu, and white is abzan?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

forbidden lesbian posted:

A card with the name LOL, no mana cost, text that says this card cannot be played, and Dredge 20

Dredge 200

Make the dredge player work for it.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

gently caress Transmute, give us Transfigure.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

bhsman posted:

That thing is a house in Limited.

Total bomb if you have anything with Trample. Let's hope we're getting Prophetic Flamespeaker to be good.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

LordSaturn posted:

Every Sultai Keyword is just gonna be from Future Sight, can't wait for gravestorm in Dragons.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Banding confirmed as the Jeskai mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

LordSaturn posted:

Just all the black Future Sight mechanics.

Gravestorm.

Ee eff bee.

• Locked thread