Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Shaggar posted:

paper plates that aren't treated w/ heavy plastic film are biodegradable cause its just paper and the ones that do have the plastic can be recycled w/ both the pulp and plastic reclaimed. they also make biodegradable film out of corn these days so you can use that instead of plastic.

also everyone uses recycled paper in they plates, not because its environmentally friendly, but because it can be less expensive than making the paper out of trees.

so really all paper plates are already environmentally sustainable.

actually you should make sure your disposable replacements for durable goods are made from locally sourced artisinal recycled disposable replacements for durable goods, kids

Spime Wrangler fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Dec 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nightbae smokewheat
Feb 11, 2011

Spime Wrangler posted:

actually you should make sure your disposable replacements for durable goods are made from locally sourced artisinal recycled disposable replacements for durable goods, kids

actually you should pray for death idiot

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
YPPOS

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i am the same-day delivery grocery service valued higher than known grocery stores that offer same-day delivery grocery service for free

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Bloody posted:

i am the same-day delivery grocery service valued higher than known grocery stores that offer same-day delivery grocery service for free

maybe some guy with a head shaped like an egg will give you hundreds of millions then.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

boss said that he once was at a talk given by an angel investor that said that out of 100 companies he did due diligence in and thought that they were all likely to make money he did no better than choosing (prescreened) start ups at random

hence the current insanity

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

boss said that he once was at a talk given by an angel investor that said that out of 100 companies he did due diligence in and thought that they were all likely to make money he did no better than choosing (prescreened) start ups at random

hmm, this says nothing about how many of those 100 companies actually made any money

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

in both cases the answer is 0

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

hobbesmaster posted:

that sounds like this book

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I hope the bubble continues to grow and then a massive solar flare occurs and tech startup idiot savants have to work in mcdonalds and zuckerburg jumps off a building

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qntm posted:

hmm, this says nothing about how many of those 100 companies actually made any money

i forget the actual numbers it was something like 30 were a complete loss, 30 scraped along breaking even, 30 made decent money and 10 paid for the complete losses

ratios probably completely wrong

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

hobbesmaster posted:

seems low if anything? assuming they are making them in house

they are not

I have the poz and I'm shitposting while watching shark tank if that helps

"why do you think you can go from 1.5 million to 5 million in sales next year if you're unprofitable?"
"38 new SKUs!"
"with no purchase orders?"
"uhhhhhh"

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

BONGHITZ posted:

nuclear energy is bad, and not good.
coal is the best because it's not the cheapest and it definitely spreads literal poison and radioactive poo poo everywhere

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

BONGHITZ posted:

reminder: we dont know how bad Fukushima was, it might have been pretty bad

lol fukushima irradiated all of our food but that's ok because i only eat pussy

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

same but those Mormon survival 40 gallon drums

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

ears full of 90Sr

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

wheatbay daynight posted:

i always pray for death idiot

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

wheatbay daynight posted:

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Bloody posted:

i'm imaging all of these vc assholes as like lucille bluth, all, how much could a banana cost? ten dollars?

how much could grocery delivery be worth? 2 billion?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Main Paineframe posted:

and all it took was the biggest earthquake and tsunami to hit Japan in recorded history, which also caused a bunch of oil refineries to destroy themselves in all-consuming infernos and spread pollution everywhere

yeah, who cares about this when other things are happening!

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

coal is the best because it's not the cheapest and it definitely spreads literal poison and radioactive poo poo everywhere

better nuke ourselves then

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

what are you gonna do when we run out of pussy?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Necc0 posted:

how do we not know how bad it was? did a spill teleport somewhere else?

a bunch of monitoring stations were down when it happened and no one was manning the rest because its unpaid volunteer work

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

like mercury and fish eating higher up on the food chain only increases your exposure risk

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Elder Postsman posted:

i'm imaging all of these vc assholes as like lucille bluth, all, how much could a banana cost? ten dollars?

back in the day questions like "how much is a gallon of milk" were common at political debates

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Elder Postsman posted:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

back in the day questions like "how much is a gallon of milk" were common at political debates

one of my big political/media awakenings was actually spurred by Mad Magazine as a kid, who had a comic of Bob Hope in a limo with a caption to the effect of: "Advertises motor oil! Hasn't driven a car or worked on one in 40 years"

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

BONGHITZ posted:

a bunch of monitoring stations were down when it happened and no one was manning the rest because its unpaid volunteer work

if there were any significant damage we'd be able to detect it now, though? like you can still go to the gulf, close your eyes, spin around and go 'yeah right there. that's hosed up'

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
yeah but you're not allowed anywhere near the gulf due to exclusion zones and such

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Necc0 posted:

if there were any significant damage we'd be able to detect it now, though? like you can still go to the gulf, close your eyes, spin around and go 'yeah right there. that's hosed up'

the nuclear testing that was done in the midwest did not produce cancers for about 15 years, so idk if you'll ever be able to ~say for sure~

http://www.ratical.org/radiation/inetSeries/TTW_C1-BW.html (pretty good read if you are a nerd)

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BONGHITZ posted:

no you see, fossil fuel facilities also suffered massive catastrophic damage and spread pollution all over the place as a result, while only one nuclear plant had any problems at all, but atoms are scary so let's ban them and build more fossil fuel poo poo

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

I remember articles in the 90s about how Bush the elder went on a tour of a supermarket for some drat reason and was just amazed by barcode readers, because of course he hadn't even had to go shopping in decades. Ah yes, here.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

BONGHITZ posted:

radiation is scary, but ultimately radioactive contamination is just another form of pollution. there are plenty of other forms of pollution (many involving heavy metals) which also create a lot of health problems for those who come into too much contact with them, and those other forms of pollution do far more harm to humans and animals every day than man-made radiation does.

if your position is born out of a genuine desire to reduce harm, then there's an honest discussion that can be had as to how much harm nuclear energy byproducts cause humans, compared to the harm caused by, say, recklessly abandoning it for hydrocarbon energy (see: germany literally burning more coal rather than continue to operate nuclear reactors)

if your position is born out of a desire to see industrial and/or centralized society dismantled in favor of what you see as a more equitable and resilient structure, then that's fine, but you should probably be up-front about that sort of thing so that people can see and appreciate the greater context of your argument

if your position is born out of identity politics left over from a time when anti-war protestors were desperate to do anything that might slow down or halt the production of nuclear weapons, then yours is essentially a bad-faith argument and i have little sympathy for it.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Elder Postsman posted:

lol at vc getting into groceries. they probably just assumed that someone typoed and left some zeros off the profit margins.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

BONGHITZ posted:

what are you gonna do when we run out of pussy?

who would want to live in such a world, anyway?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Today's radiation pollution is just tomorrow's "oh god, we can get so much free energy from this, why were we throwing this away"

Not saying it's justified to poo poo U-235 tailings all over playgrounds, but nuclear trash has the unique property of still having a shitload of energy

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

paging fishmech to talk about thorium reactors

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

(many involving heavy metals)

:regd10:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

radiation is scary, but ultimately radioactive contamination is just another form of pollution. there are plenty of other forms of pollution (many involving heavy metals) which also create a lot of health problems for those who come into too much contact with them, and those other forms of pollution do far more harm to humans and animals every day than man-made radiation does.

if your position is born out of a genuine desire to reduce harm, then there's an honest discussion that can be had as to how much harm nuclear energy byproducts cause humans, compared to the harm caused by, say, recklessly abandoning it for hydrocarbon energy (see: germany literally burning more coal rather than continue to operate nuclear reactors)

if your position is born out of a desire to see industrial and/or centralized society dismantled in favor of what you see as a more equitable and resilient structure, then that's fine, but you should probably be up-front about that sort of thing so that people can see and appreciate the greater context of your argument

if your position is born out of identity politics left over from a time when anti-war protestors were desperate to do anything that might slow down or halt the production of nuclear weapons, then yours is essentially a bad-faith argument and i have little sympathy for it.

my position is that nuclear energy is bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

idk the world is pretty big, as long as its not near me whatever

or where the wind can blow it onto me

• Locked thread