Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

There are a lot of reasons that reading the stock trends isn't very informative, but in general the most useful thing to do is to track market reaction to their quarterly statements. Even the reaction to that is almost entirely speculative but at least it's based on information about the company's actual health, rather than fluctuations that could be happening for any number of reasons that are largely outside the purview of this thread.

Similarly, blog posts literally going "Total revenue is down X%! What does this mean?!?" are not exactly definitive.

This is not to say that I disbelieve any reports of the company's bad business model or wish to say that I don't believe they are on a course to failure, just that it's more useful to look at things like what online retailers are doing (and not doing) with the product, and how the Warhammer "scene" is deteriorating, sometimes to the point of non-existence, everywhere one cares to look.

Their last dividend payout was at 16 pence per share which is down from 20 pence per share provided at the close of their fiscal year back in May. After their disastrous freefall at the start of the year the stock rallied up until shortly after their end of financial year. Since then it's been on a downward trend with small bumps corresponding to general meetings and other news. Their dividend payout in late November was met with a 6.8% drop from then til now which is not the best response.

I think the market is taking a bit of a wait and see approach. For what it's worth analysts are still giving a buy recommendation so it appears an upturn is suspected possibly based on the new CEO.

We'll see what happens. The USD/Pound exchange rate has rallied substantially so they'll be forced to stop using that excuse shortly and their half yearly report is due out on Jan 14 2015. If it's more of the same expect trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Look at sergeant Jorgen von Vampire here!

The new tac box seems to be lousy with bits, but, then again, when will you be using BA stuff to convert anything else?

I wonder if one could make a business out of selling Space Marine torso backs... nah, that's probably stupid.

And sorry for posting BOLS like. It just seemed that if people on BOLS are getting a little worried (even if their supporting facts are wonky), stuff might really be going south :ohdear:

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
I want to point out that the last time I was probated from the 40k thread it was over a joke about greenish black being a product of oxidation. Of iron or copper.

In terms of thread/sa chat, I don't even understand how I'm supposed to be part of the same species.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

I want to point out that the last time I was probated from the 40k thread it was over a joke about greenish black being a product of oxidation. Of iron or copper.

In terms of thread/sa chat, I don't even understand how I'm supposed to be part of the same species.

You earned my love forever with that Chaos Marine post you did a few years back.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I mean more that if there was something that was straight-up worthless in a codex, the Next Edition codex would usually have made it much more appealing.

The loyal servant learns to love the lash paddle.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

JerryLee posted:

Unbound 40K thread should come back for good.

But how will I justify my purchases :ohdear:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

BULBASAUR posted:

But how will I justify my purchases :ohdear:

through tear filled vision

KamNZ
May 4, 2009

At least I'm warm...
I've been a fan of 40k since 2nd Edition back in the day but I'm honestly completely baffled by the state of the game today - The dataslates and formations they keep piling on really do seem to exist solely for the sake of squeezing more money out of existing customers and making it confusing as poo poo for newcomers.

It really does seem like the FOC structure was established much like the 'free-to-play' model you get with mobile games (albeit one you have to pay $140 NZD for) after which they give you a 'pay-to-win' option allowing you to break the same FOC restrictions by buying the dataslates and corresponding kickass units at great expense.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

The 40K thread was just one big long :stare: for me, as people staunchly defended their right, nay privilege, to pay a ton of money for GW products, and haughtily derided those who took umbrage at having to buy a bunch of new units to make their previously-viable Blood Angels usable again in anything outside of "playing at home"-type situations. It's gone from simple brand loyalty to full-blown Stockholm syndrome at this point.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Is that what that argument was about? I just skipped over it after finding out the 200 new posts weren't something exciting.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

NTRabbit posted:

Is that what that argument was about? I just skipped over it after finding out the 200 new posts weren't something exciting.

Yeah, basically it can be summed up as people being (somewhat justifiably, IMO) outraged that the new Blood Angels codex rendered their Assault Marine/jump-pack troops-heavy armies invalid, taking away both a previously-valid (over the preceding two codices) army build choice and the "flavor" that made BA different from standard SM armies.

The response from GW's defenders was basically :dealwithit:, along with several long-winded posts about how people shouldn't whine about having to give GW even more money since they did put some nice BA bitz in the BA-specific tac squad boxes (which nobody was asking for or even really needed, to be frank).

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

petrol blue posted:

So what's the deal with blood angels specifically? Why are they costing £300 more than others?

No, what's happening is a new BA release. Before, when armies got new releases, they'd get a new book for $30. Now, when armies get new releases, they get a gutted version of the old book for $70-$100 alongside a second Day 1 DLC book that contains the Good Stuff (but needs the former book to function) and also possibly some further DLC PDFs or campaign books that contain the rest of the army, in addition to the cost of the new models required to keep your army legal in the new edition.

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Just to be clear, Hollismason's argument is that we should all be fine with paying out ~£152 ($239 US) on rules so that we can use an army which cost £25 for the rules last time round. Because dataslates and formations are that great. He also thinks we should then be okay spending another £97 ($152) on new model kits to make up for the 'or whatever' gaps those rules still leave.

edit:
Basically, GW recently introduced "Formations" which are specific army builds which grant special rules (so if you buy 3 specific tanks with specific gear + 40 specific dudes with specific gear then they all get a specific buff on top of their regular rules). Every army's new release is now split into multiple books, 1 book for the basic units, 1 book for special characters and special items, and 1 book for Formations that largely allow you to do the stuff you used to be allowed to do in just 1 book.

Broken Loose fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Dec 18, 2014

KamNZ
May 4, 2009

At least I'm warm...
It's pretty ridiculous when they're willing to forgive them for making their existing models pretty much useless, because they're now giving them the opportunity to buy new pretty models. Models that they wouldn't have even needed had they not changed the rules on them in the first place...

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Broken Loose posted:

No, what's happening is a new BA release. Before, when armies got new releases, they'd get a new book for $30. Now, when armies get new releases, they get a gutted version of the old book for $70-$100 alongside a second Day 1 DLC book that contains the Good Stuff (but needs the former book to function) and also possibly some further DLC PDFs or campaign books that contain the rest of the army, in addition to the cost of the new models required to keep your army legal in the new edition.

Did they price hike those again, because I thought the new codices were only $50 unless you wanted the limited edition. Granted the one and only 6E+ codex I've bought is CSM, so over 2 years ago now.

All of the rest of what you said is spot on though.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Glad I'm avoiding that thread. Normal table top doesn't matter anyway, and I got enough headaches from facebook fan groups, because those seem to go up in flames once in while, which would end in group admins claiming that this group is for fans only. As if Warmahorde/Infinity/historical players go to GW groups to start poo poo. Hell hath no fury like a fan scorned.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
The thread has basically collapsed into a cesspool of apologists or those afflicted with stockholm syndrome (with a few folks there for the rules/news or macabre humor). All the cool normal posters that made that thread great left around the time of 7th edition. Its getting emptier and the poor new guys get to deal with meltdowns and bitter posting from pessimistic assholes like myself.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

JerryLee posted:

Did they price hike those again, because I thought the new codices were only $50 unless you wanted the limited edition. Granted the one and only 6E+ codex I've bought is CSM, so over 2 years ago now.

In Australian Dollars every physical Codex and supplement is $83 with the exception of Space Marines, $90, and Imperial Knights, $65 - so C:SM and Sentinels of Terra is $173, or Eldar + Iyanden is $166, f.ex

The interactive digital Shield of Baal is $89.99. Interactive Codexes are $60, supplements $50. eBook Codex is $45, supplement $40

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

NTRabbit posted:

In Australian Dollars every physical Codex and supplement is $83 with the exception of Space Marines, $90, and Imperial Knights, $65 - so C:SM and Sentinels of Terra is $173, or Eldar + Iyanden is $166, f.ex

The interactive digital Shield of Baal is $89.99. Interactive Codexes are $60, supplements $50. eBook Codex is $45, supplement $40

Well, yes, but I assumed he was talking about USD because that would correspond with the figure of $30 for the old codices.

The codexes did get a noticeable improvement in terms of presentation when they went from $30 to $50; it wasn't a baldfaced price hike to the extent GW has done elsewhere. The newer ones are hardcover, a bit thicker, have more color, etc. They still aren't worth $50 in a sane universe but the paperback 5E codices weren't worth $30 by that metric either.

BULBASAUR posted:

The thread has basically collapsed into a cesspool of apologists or those afflicted with stockholm syndrome (with a few folks there for the rules/news or macabre humor). All the cool normal posters that made that thread great left around the time of 7th edition. Its getting emptier and the poor new guys get to deal with meltdowns and bitter posting from pessimistic assholes like myself.

If it helps, you're one of my favorite warhams on SA. You still love the game and are a big fan of some of the cooler poo poo that can be done with it like 30K armies, but you don't drink the kool-aid like serious gaylord, Ghost Hand, et al. do (guys who would be similarly cool and awesome if it were all about the models and battles and money/rules were no object).

JerryLee fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Dec 18, 2014

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I haven't looked at very many 7th codices but I noticed with my Ork one that there's no longer any sort of tactica or painting/modelling sections, which seems weird to me. It's just fluff, photos, army list, and appendices. Do any of the 7th books have a 'How to paint this army' section anymore?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

JerryLee posted:

Well, yes, but I assumed he was talking about USD because that would correspond with the figure of $30 for the old codices.

The codexes did get a noticeable improvement in terms of presentation when they went from $30 to $50; it wasn't a baldfaced price hike to the extent GW has done elsewhere. The newer ones are hardcover, a bit thicker, have more color, etc. They still aren't worth $50 in a sane universe but the paperback 5E codices weren't worth $30 by that metric either.

Quick check shows $50 for a Codex or supplement, $58 for the C:SM codex and $41 for Imperial Knights in Yankee Funbucks

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

BlackIronHeart posted:

I would definitely agree with this. That recast chat went on for pages and no one was even probated shows that it's certainly trending up. Or maybe the mods simply abandoned the 40K thread, not that anyone would blame them...

I guess it's time to reveal the secret: I did not probate people for recast chat because I am actually a recast of Winson from Guangzhou.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Ettin posted:

I guess it's time to reveal the secret: I did not probate people for recast chat because I am actually a recast of Winson from Guangzhou.

I loving knew it, you're totally the wrong colour gray

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
We should've known because the body bag was plain, without the Forge World label.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Pierzak posted:

We should've known because the body bag was plain, without the Forge World label.

Dudes, you can totally buy legit mods from eBay, even if they're shipped from China. Promise.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sometimes I wondered how the hell the 40k thread could amass more new posts faster than the magic thread. Now I know, or had I always known but never wanted to acknowledge it? It is a cursed, terrible knowledge.

I'm gonna stick to slam sector 40k. All we need is a space jam/Barkley SUAJ Gaiden remix

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
A long time ago I stopped reading the 40k thread, instead I just scroll through it looking for cool pictures.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Am I correct that the Forces book contains WMH-style Theme Forces? (Ie: The ones that come in their magazine or free if you bought the app.)

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

of course this is after you remove all the posting chaff

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Broken Loose posted:

i've never been so tempted to describe a situation as "drinking the kool-aid" as what's happening in the 40k thread right now.

apparently, expecting not to pay $300 to continue playing a game you were already fully equipped to play is entitled and unreasonable.
Yeah uh... there must be some really weird poo poo in his Gumbo.

BlackIronHeart posted:

Apparently, the main way BA armies were built was to have jump-pack assault marines as your main troop choice. That was their gimmick, their draw. This was possible under the past two codices. You can't do that now unless you use specific formations from White Dwarf/Shield of Baal book (which cost money) that also require other models players may not have (which cost even more money). GW basically monetized the character of the army even further than they have before.
Even then, those 'troop' Death Company are a single unique 5-man squad with a fixed weapon loadout. A 5-man squad with jump packs isn't going to survive for long on the table.

JerryLee posted:

Yeah, I don't think anyone would ever argue that 'add new units that you'd like to have' is bad. PP, often held up as the anti-GW, does this and everyone thinks it's fine.
Better yet, the occasionally bring out new stuff that has synergy with some underplayed existing models (a recent case in point, the new Circle warlock Bradigus brings some new tricks to Wolds and can make them really drat good). Another good example is the unti attachment for Warpborn Skinwalkers, turning the unit from a lower mid-tier unit to a very effective meatshield with strong offensive potential.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The response from GW's defenders was basically :dealwithit:, along with several long-winded posts about how people shouldn't whine about having to give GW even more money since they did put some nice BA bitz in the BA-specific tac squad boxes (which nobody was asking for or even really needed, to be frank).
I was honestly shocked by this. One particular poster really felt the need to take every opportunity to do it, too. I kept reading it as:
"Wowee, that's a neato new Tactical squad for the Blood Angels!" *rocking back and forth on his heels with hands in his pocket, while chewing gumbo* "Geez, that really helps make up for how BA players can't field their DC and ASM anymore!"

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
I feel really sorry for this guy who had his commission finished at the beginning of this month:

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

adamantium|wang posted:

I feel really sorry for this guy who had his commission finished at the beginning of this month:

Lmbo

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

adamantium|wang posted:

It's ok, he can just play unbound or commission some tac squads.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

BlackIronHeart posted:

Do any of the 7th books have a 'How to paint this army' section anymore?

That's the dataslate they flog you for £1.99* a pop :ssh:

*there or thereabouts

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I should have guessed that. :(

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008
The Sons of Sanguinius Painting Guide is £20 for softback, or £19.99 for the interactive ebook.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I dont mind £20 for a decent painting book.

However that is not a decent painting book.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Renfield posted:

The Sons of Sanguinius Painting Guide is £20 for softback, or £19.99 for the interactive ebook.

I think, of all the things I hate about GW's sudden dropping of all pretenses and just overtly jerking off in their fans' faces, the fact that their touted 'we're making codexes digital too!' cost near the exact same as their overpriced physical ones is one of the most inexcusable.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

HiveCommander posted:

I was honestly shocked by this. One particular poster really felt the need to take every opportunity to do it, too. I kept reading it as:
"Wowee, that's a neato new Tactical squad for the Blood Angels!" *rocking back and forth on his heels with hands in his pocket, while chewing gumbo* "Geez, that really helps make up for how BA players can't field their DC and ASM anymore!"

It's particularly dumb because, unlike say the Black Templars or Dark Angels, a Blood Angels tac squad in appearance...is just a tac squad. By which I mean the BT have their tabards and stuff, while the DA have their robes. The Blood Angels, on the other hand, have good ol' regular SM armor, with no extra frills or other accessories (like tabards or robes). Nope, it's just the standard-issue SM armor, just painted red and with different iconography.

There was basically no need for a BA-specific tac squad box. New BA players would be just fine with painting their space mans red and calling it a day, and die-hard BA players likely had a ton of bits left over from all those Death Company and Sanguinary Guard they put together when they first came out. Creating a BA-specific tac squad kit is basically solving a problem that didn't exist.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

If I can sperg for a moment, the Blood Angels were always described as having extraordinarily intricate and detailed armor. They would take time to sculpt and paint beautiful stuff onto their armor. They were artists as well as warriors, presumably to put the focus that requires in contrast with their latent bloodlust. I actually really like the new BA tactical kit, but changing the FoC to accommodate is just the worst kind of bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Renfield posted:

The one penny difference is hilarious

• Locked thread