Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Madmarker posted:

Banding confirmed as the Jeskai mechanic.

Banding is really more of an Abzan mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Jeskai gets Flanking. Mardu gets Bushido?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

odiv posted:

Jeskai gets Flanking. Mardu gets Bushido?

Temur gets Rampage

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Mardu seems to make more sense with flanking, IMO.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Who would get Horsemanship?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

bhsman posted:

Mardu seems to make more sense with flanking, IMO.
Yeah, you're right, I was thinking it was blocking or blocked.

I think this is the week I'm going to try to complete a playset of all the Khans fetches. Wish me luck!

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Cactrot posted:

Temur gets Rampage

Craw Giant reprint confirmed. :getin:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Serperoth posted:

Who would get Horsemanship?

Horsemanship would be really good for them as well, but I think they'd be more comfortable with Flanking than unblockable as a mechanic.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

LordSaturn posted:

gently caress Transmute, give us Transfigure.

Can't wait to offload all these Skaab Ruinators when they make a 3cmc transfigure guy.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Considering the kind of play style Jeskai promotes, it would be cool if their mechanic read something along the lines of "Do X. If you cast another spell previously this turn, also do Y/instead do Y."

Go for those explosive turns.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
Just give jeskai storm.

:getin:

But yes I agree lets put the combo mechanic from hearthstone in :haw:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hearth stone's combo mechanic is sweet. The only complaint I have about it is how strongly it warps the rogue's tempo since it counts the coin.

Would be fun to see combo cards in petal decks.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Someone a while back mentioned how busted Ancestral Visions is in Cube. :agreed:

I had a game last night where I had to mul to 5, leaving me with Island, Mox Sapphire, Balance, Visions, and something useless (probably Glen Elandra or something). I played my Island and mox, suspended the visions, and passed.

No land drawn for 4 turns, but I did get my mox blown up by Abrupt Decay in perhaps the most unfun play I've been on the receiving end of in a while.

Then Visions popped and gave me a Plains, which let me cast balance against a junk aggro/ramp player with 7 creatures in play. I had to discard to 2 cards in hand, but I was able to keep Oblivion Ring, and Mishra's Factory, and he was left with two lands and a Voice elemental token unfortunately (hence why I kept the Ring). Next turn he just went land swing for 1 go, and I was able to take it out with the ring after drawing Sphinx's Rev, and I just went to town with Mishra's Factory and cast my Geist of Saint Traft (which he tried bouncing repeatedly with Karakas and couldn't figure out why it wasn't working).

Then he stuck an Archangel of Thune, which I was planning on stealing, until he landed a Baneslayer Angel, so I let the first angel go and stole the second with Sower of Temptation. Unfortunately that died immediately, but it bought a turn that allowed me to Miracle a Terminus and go back on the Factory plan until he cast a Brimaz.

Thankfully, since that took so drat long, I finally drew my sixth land to cast the Frost Titan that had been chilling in my hand for too long, tapping it down and knocking him to 7 with the Factory.

This is where I screwed up but was still fine. My last card was Daze, and my opponent tapped out for Garruk, Apex Predator. I had F6ed to walk away and get my thing in the microwave that was beeping, assuming at this point that Daze was a dead card.

I was bailed out by that last line of text on Frost Titan that I always forget: Counter poo poo that targets it unless they pay 2! He tried killing my Titan and it fizzled for the win. The correct play (for him) would have been to kill his own Brimaz, which put him out of lethal range, then next turn kill my Titan when he has the mana to pay (or draw something else).

Probably the most insane mul to 5 win I've had, and it was all thanks to Ancestral Visions. If anything, it was a good thing I didn't draw land, since it let me hold off on Balance until Visions popped and get a nice clean 7 for 1 (11 for 1 if you count his lands). There were at least 3 points where I thought I was doomed but bounced back because the power level of individual cards is just so high.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Visions is almost as good as Treasure Cruise :smuggo:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Gyshall posted:

Visions is almost as good as Treasure Cruise :smuggo:

It's not even close to as good.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

mcmagic posted:

No, but I can't think of a single point in any cube draft where I would have wanted to cast Cruise. Visions is more powerful in that I can cascade into it, it can bail me out of a horrible mulligan for free, etc.

Cruise is the better card, just not in this environment.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

forbidden lesbian posted:

A card with the name LOL, no mana cost, text that says this card cannot be played, and Dredge 20

We've talked about this before, that card could read "At the beginning of the end step, if this card is in your graveyard, you lose the game" and still see play as a 4-of in Dredge.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Chamale posted:

We've talked about this before, that card could read "At the beginning of the end step, if this card is in your graveyard, you lose the game" and still see play as a 4-of in Dredge.

You missed the point

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

Which is why they should unban Visions when they ban Cruise.

My guess is they just have both of them banned.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 18, 2014

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Oh they're banning Treasure Cruise? THat sucks.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

rabidsquid posted:

It's only banable in Modern.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

Some people want it banned. We haven't heard from Wizards yet.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

kizudarake posted:

Some people want it banned. We haven't heard from Wizards yet.

We're lucky that they already forgot to ban it once but I guess its RIP now :(

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Ban gitaxian probe imo

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Gyshall posted:

Ban gitaxian probe imo
Probe makes me laugh, because it is pretty clearly a mistake and I doubt anyone at WoTC has ever noticed.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
The most infuriating thing to play against in Holiday Cube is when someone manages to assemble the ridiculous four-color hyper-ramp reanimator train.

Even worse is when they come back online entirely because they topdeck Bloodbraid Elf, Cascade into Shardless Agent, then Joraga Treespeaker when they'd been dead next turn if they hadn't. :(

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
I'd just like to point out that awakening zone is the best it's ever been in the cube, as it synergizes so lovely with skullclamp, craterhoof behemoth, and just being able to ramp in general.

Edit: also opposition trololo

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

its about time wotc found something that goes good with Opposition

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mighty Dicktron posted:

The most infuriating thing to play against in Holiday Cube is when someone manages to assemble the ridiculous four-color hyper-ramp reanimator train.

Even worse is when they come back online entirely because they topdeck Bloodbraid Elf, Cascade into Shardless Agent, then Joraga Treespeaker when they'd been dead next turn if they hadn't. :(

Please tell me they had vengevine in their graveyard.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

CountFosco posted:

I'd just like to point out that awakening zone is the best it's ever been in the cube, as it synergizes so lovely with skullclamp, craterhoof behemoth, and just being able to ramp in general.

Edit: also opposition trololo

It has been v. good for the past few iterations actually!

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

cheetah7071 posted:

Please tell me they had vengevine in their graveyard.

Pretty much the only way to make this play more absurd, but no, they at least didn't have that.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Infuriating Loop: Recurring Nightmare + Wurmcoil Engine + Phyrexian Metamorph.

Makes it worse: Black Lotus powers it out turn 2.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Black Lotus powers out most degenerate combos turn 2

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Or turn 1.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I love when a mono green ramp player just scoops to my Stoneforge Mystic fetching a Sword of Body and Mind.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Turn 1 Daydo Fackman isn't a good combo!

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Dr. Stab posted:

They've made it a keyword action and not an ability. So, presumably it's going to be on more than etb triggers, and will be stapled on spells. e:f,b

It also combos great with Charging badger.
I want to see an Instant that just says "Bolster 1. Bolster 1. Bolster 1." Would that be too confusing?

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

BaronVonVaderham posted:

No, but I can't think of a single point in any cube draft where I would have wanted to cast Cruise. Visions is more powerful in that I can cascade into it, it can bail me out of a horrible mulligan for free, etc.

Cruise is the better card, just not in this environment.

In my cube I consider Treasure Cruise to most often be a 4 mana spell with the potential upside of being less mana. I'm a big fan of it, and I run it over Ancestral Vision just because my only cascade spell is Bloodbraid Elf and I already run a slough of draw spells.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
loving christ, I drafted an amazing Mardu deck online, win the first game quickly, have to wait 30 minutes for round 2, win the first game super quick, and the fucker just stalls me until I run out of time in game 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

BizarroAzrael posted:

loving christ, I drafted an amazing Mardu deck online, win the first game quickly, have to wait 30 minutes for round 2, win the first game super quick, and the fucker just stalls me until I run out of time in game 2.

How is that possible? You mean he didn't die fast enough and you ran out of clock? Isn't that your fault?

• Locked thread