Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
I was for a long time in a situation where I wanted to play Vietnamization to get my forces from extreme overstretch into a situation where I could restore some control, and I probably could, given more time, but every time I wanted to Vietnamize I was the fist one up on a good card and didn't want to pass it up. That sucked.

How can the VC help the NVA with resources? Just by recruiting and letting them infiltrate, or is there actually a resource trading mechanic that I missed in the rulebook?

Also, am I the only one who thinks playing ARVN is extremely tricky? Your get rich quick scheme revolves around having the US piggyback you to victory, while your get rich slow scheme leaves you vulnerable. In any case, it's easy for any faction to stop your plans cold, I feel. I don't think other factions can be so easily tampered with by everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Anyone (except the US, that doesn't have resources) can trade resources to the current active player. So the VC can sorta bankroll the NVA if the NVA suddenly finds themselves out of resources. I've also used this rule as the Government in ADP to give the Taliban resources in order to decrease US support and prevent the US from doing civil actions :q:

I have seen the ARVN win or get close to victory: I feel the key is to slowly build patronage throughout the game and have the US do a lot of dirty work in terms of sweeping and clearing regions. Ideally the way you want to play it is to play off the US: pester him to do airstrikes any time he can, ask him to help you on the Mekong Delta, make deals with him to ensure he's out in countryside in the south while you take care of the North (large number of US casualties are really really bad for both of you and you want to avoid them at all costs), inciting him to increase his footprint into the country (but then leave you being able to vietminize) etc. Also, dropping stuff from active to passive support can provide a source of risk-free patronage, as long as you are careful that the US can't just sprint to victory.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Another quick TK question:

Playing through Op. Barbarossa, beginning turn 2, and want to make sure I'm understanding the supply rules. The "2 free hex" allowance, cannot go through EZOCs, correct?

In this area:

The Soviet 11th and 8th Inf. are cut off, correct? Or do support units not give off EZOCs (the Axis Air Force)? In which case, the 11th Inf. would be able to trace a line back to Minsk, but the 8th Inf. would be cut off by the Axis 16th Inf.'s EZOC. I would imagine it's the former, since it seems that "units" give off EZOCs, not just ground units.

Also, for the combination phase, am I understanding right that I can combine any one-step units for any two-step units in my pool, as long as they fit the recipe guide? That's the gist I'm getting.

Interesting game so far - it's looking like the Axis may lose the Bessarabia area the way things are going. Full map if anyone is interested:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Only ground units project ZOCs. Friendly units negate EZOCs, so the 8th is actually in supply.

You have to be careful with combinations, since units that have both 1 step and 2 steps can only combine if they are already on the board. The only legal combinations that bring off-board stuff are listed on the faction sheets IIRC.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Tekopo posted:

Only ground units project ZOCs. Friendly units negate EZOCs, so the 8th is actually in supply.

You have to be careful with combinations, since units that have both 1 step and 2 steps can only combine if they are already on the board. The only legal combinations that bring off-board stuff are listed on the faction sheets IIRC.

The German 2/3 step infantry, the German 2/3 step HQ's, and the Soviet 2/3 step HQ's aren't listed, they're all just any two single infantry steps of the appropriate nationality. I think you're correct that everything else is either a 1/2 stepper or has a listing

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
I got Advanced Squad Leader for Christmas (we opened our presents early) but I inadvertently got only the rules rather than an actual playable version with counters and stuff.

Am I looking at getting the starter kit to get playing? Or something else. And is there a way to start playing without buying that stuff?

Bullbar fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Dec 18, 2014

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

I got Advanced Squad Leader for Christmas (we opened our presents early) but I inadvertently got only the rules rather than an actual playable version with counters and stuff.

Am I looking at getting the starter kit to get playing? Or something else. And is there a way to start playing without buying that stuff?

ASL:SK has its own stripped-down set of rules, but I guess you could play it using the original ASL tome.

Another option is just playing it using VASSAL and any of the freely-available scenarios online. But... if you want to play real, full-blown ASL, you need the base game.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
I'm a little confused as to what actually is the base game in that case. Not the starter kit? All I've got at the moment is the entirety of the rules.

Edit: It seems to be Beyond Valor? Which costs over $100 and isn't currently available. Getting the rules seems to have been a huge mistake.

Bullbar fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Dec 18, 2014

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

I'm a little confused as to what actually is the base game in that case. Not the starter kit? All I've got at the moment is the entirety of the rules.

Edit: It seems to be Beyond Valor? Which costs over $100 and isn't currently available. Getting the rules seems to have been a huge mistake.

You can buy any ASL module and play it with the rules, AFAIK. But, I'm not an ASL expert so I'll defer to someone else.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I'm actually hankering to play some Vassal USE/TK. I'd need to re-read the TK because the USE rules have poisoned my mind recently. TK at least has something for the allies/soviets to do while the other is having all the fun though.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Tekopo posted:

I'm actually hankering to play some Vassal USE/TK. I'd need to re-read the TK because the USE rules have poisoned my mind recently. TK at least has something for the allies/soviets to do while the other is having all the fun though.

My brain isn't comprehending what USE is.

I'd be down for TK if you want to do PBEM or PBDropbox or something. It's rare that I have many hours of free time to do live play though :\

edit-- Oh duh, Unconditional Surrender. I'd be up for either.

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Dec 18, 2014

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
I'd love to play USE, but can't really sit down until the 21st because of Christmas stuff.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Tekopo posted:

COOL CORN posted:

My brain isn't comprehending what USE is.

I'd be down for TK if you want to do PBEM or PBDropbox or something. It's rare that I have many hours of free time to do live play though :\

edit-- Oh duh, Unconditional Surrender. I'd be up for either.

I'd do a non-live game of TK anytime, and I'll have a week off at the beginning of January where I can be available for live play of anything. Unfortunately, I'll probably be too busy with the holidays to live play anything before that.

Arrion
Aug 2, 2010

Yes, Beyond Valor is the core module that includes all the system counters, so you need it if you really want to get into the system. MMP is pretty good about keeping it in print (unlike most ASL stuff), so it should be available sometime soon if it's OOP right now.

The starter kits come with everything you need to play including simplified rules. You can sort of use the starter kit counters and maps to play with the full rules, but there will be some stuff missing. Sniper counters off the top of my head.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I could be tempted by TK, though I prefer live I might be able to swing PBEM.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
RE: Advanced Squad Leader

Think of Starter Kits as standalone 'expansions.' But yes, Beyond Valor is the one you start with.

Highly recommend buying a Starter Kit. Save the rulebook for if you like ASL enough to spend the dough on Beyond Valor. By the time you grok the rules BV will be in print anyways :smug:

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
I could probably run a PBP game. Would you guys prefer USE or Axis Empires?

Morholt
Mar 18, 2006

Contrary to popular belief, tic-tac-toe isn't purely a game of chance.
Dibs on a spot if it turns out to be USE. The designer wrote some rules for PBEM games at the back of the rulebook you should check out in that case.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Taran_Wanderer posted:

I could probably run a PBP game. Would you guys prefer USE or Axis Empires?
I don't mind, but currently I am more well-versed in USE and would need to re-read the TK rules. I think I'd rather play TK for the crazy and USE because I know the system better.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

I don't mind, but currently I am more well-versed in USE and would need to re-read the TK rules. I think I'd rather play TK for the crazy and USE because I know the system better.

Would you like to journey through the tables?

The solution is obviously to play Empires in Arms.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Panzeh posted:

Would you like to journey through the tables?

The solution is obviously to play Empires in Arms.
I'll play one, I'm just not sure which one :v:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I would love a PBP AE. You could have people sign up for minor countries and play them if/when they come into play :v:

I'm up for whatever though.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013

COOL CORN posted:

I would love a PBP AE. You could have people sign up for minor countries and play them if/when they come into play :v:

I'm up for whatever though.

Yeah, I was thinking of something like that, but I don't know that many people would want to do that, considering most of the minor nations have only a handful of units.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
That's actually a good thing. Only having a handful of counters means you're in quick and probably out quick, but get a taste for the game without having to go in too deep during your first playthrough. You have to focus on cooperating with others more than on devising your own grand strategy. With a big game, that's a great way to introduce new players. It worked for my No Retreat PBP, at least.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Yeah, I was thinking of something like that, but I don't know that many people would want to do that, considering most of the minor nations have only a handful of units.

I would be all over an AE PBP,.

I don't think there would be too many people up for playing it, so you could limit it to the big interesting ones like Italy/France/Turkey/Poland/Chinese countries (actually, that would be pretty good for simulating a lot of the issues in coordinating the nationalist army...)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I'd be up for playing Japan if we are doing an AE PbP.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Alright folks, looks like we're doing an Axis Empires PBP. I'll take a look at the rulebook(s) and put up a thread tomorrow or on the weekend. PM me with your nation(s) of choice if you'd like to reserve a spot. Bonus points if someone thinks up a witty thread title.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Taran_Wanderer posted:

Alright folks, looks like we're doing an Axis Empires PBP. I'll take a look at the rulebook(s) and put up a thread tomorrow or on the weekend. PM me with your nation(s) of choice if you'd like to reserve a spot. Bonus points if someone thinks up a witty thread title.

:neckbeard:

I'm unreasonably excited about this.

Just PM'd with my country of choice. I hope I get it, on account of I already speak Russian.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
Thread's up!

Thanks for the thread title, Tekopo!

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
How hard would it be for a total newbie to the game to participate? I'm relatively a newbie at this type of wargame as well. I'm hoping to play Totaler Krieg irl next year so it would be good to have a little experience. At the very least I'll be reading along.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

How hard would it be for a total newbie to the game to participate? I'm relatively a newbie at this type of wargame as well. I'm hoping to play Totaler Krieg irl next year so it would be good to have a little experience. At the very least I'll be reading along.

The game doesn't start until Sunday, so you can download VASSAL/the VASSAL module along with the rulebook/the playbook (both from GMT) and get up to speed within a couple days. The playbook has really good intro scenarios that ease you into the game.

For instance, the first training scenario for Totaler Krieg (A.1) is Case White in Poland. It's very small, and it literally says "read these rules sections before playing, and read these rules sections as you play. This first scenario will teach you basic movement and combat." Then the second training scenario teacher a little more, then a little more, then you're advised to read a few sections that will bring you up to speed for a full game.

It's certainly not a beginner board game or anything by any means, but with the way the playbook/rulebook are laid out, I personally found it a lot easier to learn than a lot of other games. I mean, I still beat my head against A Victory Denied which has like a 10-page rulebook, just because it's so vaguely written.

The faction leaders (Me, Tekopo, BlackMongoose I think?) will be making the high-level decisions along with card choices and stuff, but actual unit movement and combat within the minor countries will be handled by the controlling person, if I understand correctly.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Tekopo I'm learning USE and it's a hell of a good game, I don't know why I waited so long - I think I was turned off by the lack of numbers on the counters :v: maybe I was worried things would be too abstracted.

It's a really nice solution for dealing with stacking, and keeps the focus on the strategy rather than unit density. I dunno, I like it. I wanted something that scratched the TK itch but didn't cost $120+ :) I think it's in the 40s on Amazon.

What I'm saying it maybe in a week or so we'll get together on VASSAL!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

COOL CORN posted:

Tekopo I'm learning USE and it's a hell of a good game, I don't know why I waited so long - I think I was turned off by the lack of numbers on the counters :v: maybe I was worried things would be too abstracted.

It's a really nice solution for dealing with stacking, and keeps the focus on the strategy rather than unit density. I dunno, I like it. I wanted something that scratched the TK itch but didn't cost $120+ :) I think it's in the 40s on Amazon.

What I'm saying it maybe in a week or so we'll get together on VASSAL!
USE has an awesome combat system which is really fast and feels more realistic by the unit activation/movement system, which means that stuff that is far away from the front-line DOES have a disadvantage (because it can do less attacks). This kind of soured some of the movement systems of other games for me because single/double impulse systems (move, then fight! Was something in the front-line while something moved across Russia to fight? No worries, the rules treat them exactly the same!) is kind of weird in retrospect.

Also the support system in USE is SLIIIIGHTLY better than TK/DS, because how many turns something is out of the fight is not decided by delay rolls. TK has a much better production/diplomacy system though.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So with Cuba in the news this week I decided to break out Cuba Libre again for sine solo play. I went in as the 26 July Movement and lost both times I played. First to the government after two very short propaganda rounds and the second time to the Directorio by the skin of my teeth. When a prop round came up before I could make back done of the losses in opposition I took cause I went for a capability instead.

Also it really seems like the Mafia can pull a pretty easy win in the game I had forgotten about that.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
I think I just saw a used FAB: The Bulge for 35 bucks. Please somebody tell me to calm down and stick to playing cool games I already own and don't play enough, why do I keep throwing money at this stupid hobby.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I've gotten a bit of a Napoleonic kick and i'm thinking about trying to learn The Napoleonic Wars.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Lichtenstein posted:

I think I just saw a used FAB: The Bulge for 35 bucks. Please somebody tell me to calm down and stick to playing cool games I already own and don't play enough, why do I keep throwing money at this stupid hobby.

FAB: Bulge is a pretty good game actually, it's playable in a long evening and even casual wargamers can get into it pretty easily. Despite that, it has a decent amount of depth, and the asset system is pretty excellent design. Sorry for being an enabler...

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Is there a big difference between Totaler Krieg (1999) and Axis Empires: Totaler Krieg (2011)? I can't tell if they are totally different games or not.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

COOL CORN posted:

Is there a big difference between Totaler Krieg (1999) and Axis Empires: Totaler Krieg (2011)? I can't tell if they are totally different games or not.

Axis Empires is something of a sequel and is somewhat different in a lot of ways. It's a significant revision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Panzeh posted:

Axis Empires is something of a sequel and is somewhat different in a lot of ways. It's a significant revision.

Gotcha. I was curious if the $11 TK was worth buying over the $100 AE:TK :)

Meh guess I'll stick to vassal. I don't get how TK can cost over 100 and USE is only like 40.