Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

Pyroclastic posted:

Most of our elementary schools were literally wired by parents and teachers. Complete rewires are in the plans, but the consultant is really emphasizing a focus on wireless, which worries me. The way I've been hearing it, we're talking 2-3 ports per room: WAP, IP phone, and media station for the projector. I can see this kinda working if we really go 1:1, but the ratio hasn't been determined yet, and if it's low, then teachers are going to want desktops in their classrooms for incidental use, and the thought of desktops with wireless make me feel weird. Having fewer ports per room than we have now (even if they're 15+ years old with yellowed, brittle, 10mbit rated dual-port AMP modules) seems like a loss of functionality (especially since he wants to eliminate the use of small switches for classroom minilabs).

I just hope the district takes the report to heart and things actually change. It took us 20 years to get into this hole, but maybe we can crawl out in 3-5.

I did something really similar about a year and a half ago in a similar environment. The federal government provides massive grants to make this kind of stuff happen in schools and you should absolutely take advantage.

My building is about 900 users, and over the summer I ripped out at least 50 netgear hubs, brought in 10GbE with fiber to the core, and banned ethernet connections for most of my users. We're at 50 Aerohive WAPs going up to 55 this year and it's working great with ubiquitous dual band coverage and gigabit internet. I hover around 700 devices daily on the wireless network, including wireless cards in all of the student desktops that are left (we're 85% mobile now). My 2.4 ghz band is incredibly crowded but I expect that problem to get better every day and it's possible to steer clients up to the 5ghz band in a pinch. I get much better metrics from Aerohive than I ever did with traditional monitoring too. So much control :science: I didn't have to go to bid once and I get 80% off the ISP. State contracts and E-Rate are cool.

One thing we did not consider was that state testing (PARCC specifically for us) is incredibly failure prone on wireless. We had to rewire a couple classrooms just to be sure this stuff would work when the online version of the test becomes mandatory.

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Dec 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

"Guess you're off with pay til you're better then." - Developed countries. (Of which I do not claim the US to be one.)

Just wait till you go to an actual developing country. The US will look like Sweden. This doesn't excuse many of our poor labor conditions, but god drat can it get much, much worse.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

psydude posted:

Just wait till you go to an actual developing country. The US will look like Sweden. This doesn't excuse many of our poor labor conditions, but god drat can it get much, much worse.

It sure can. Being the richest country and having a lot of geopolitical clout does not make you a developed country however. Look around - our infrastructure is 80 years and falling apart, our labor laws are nonexistent, a single health problem can force you into bankruptcy and literally destroy your life, unions are pretty much nonexistent as well... All the while the the boss is literally screaming at you because you're sick and just need some rest. In the richest country in the world. It truly amazes me that there aren't more office shootings.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
Things that are pissing me off lately:

It was good to get out of Desktop helldesk in up to where I'm at but despite me knowing I'm still in a helldesk-type position it hit me at a deep this week. Decided to make myself a Snake Bite last night afterwards.

What mainly triggered it was in part from hearing what a co-worker of mine had to deal with. Someone come in to him that basically was rude and badgering for a good 30 minutes while he tried to get a manager on. That person ended up hanging up and calling in multiple times doing similar to other people. The manager he engaged basically didn't want to get on the call.

Whenever you think you're done with stupid poo poo, events like these are an cold bucket.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Pissing me off: NetSuite.

1. If any <non-vendor user> responds via email, NetSuite always stamps the response with the ticket opener’s username.
2. If a user responds via the NetSuite web UI, NetSuite always shows the email From: field as coming from <vendor's support organization>.

Seriously: who configures this type of poo poo and thinks that's okay?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Chalets the Baka posted:

It sure can. Being the richest country and having a lot of geopolitical clout does not make you a developed country however. Look around - our infrastructure is 80 years and falling apart, our labor laws are nonexistent, a single health problem can force you into bankruptcy and literally destroy your life, unions are pretty much nonexistent as well... All the while the the boss is literally screaming at you because you're sick and just need some rest. In the richest country in the world. It truly amazes me that there aren't more office shootings.

Try going somewhere they don't actually have hospitals that can fix your health problems or 80 (60, really) year old infrastructure, because they don't have any at all. Suicide nets instead of labor laws.

The US has its problems, but saying it's not a developed country (or talking about problems like you're a 22 year old who's just discovering how the world works and thinks the sky is falling) is inane.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Had to get that burn in on those young people, didn't you? News flash you bitter old fossil, some people actually want things to get better.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

evol262 posted:

The US has its problems, but saying it's not a developed country (or talking about problems like you're a 22 year old who's just discovering how the world works and thinks the sky is falling) is inane.

Is emigrating illegally to another country because you couldn't afford the half-million dollar hospital bill due to a brain aneurysm you had no control of inane? My friend's health insurance he had through his employer didn't protect him from that.

Comparing the United States to Mogadishu and saying "Just discovering the how the world works huh? :smuggo:" is a nice thing to do if you're a complete moron, but if you're at all grounded in reality then maybe you'd accede that it's not a trait of any other developed country on the face of this planet. And our IT employers are complicit in these kinds of things happening.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

An Angry Bug posted:

Had to get that burn in on those young people, didn't you? News flash you bitter old fossil, some people actually want things to get better.

We just elected a deeply conservative congress and Scott Walker is probably going to run in 2016. I wouldn't hold out hope that things are going to get better for the average American worker any time soon.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Just saying "developed" and "developing" are pointless descriptors. The US is unarguably doing better than India and is a hell of a lot better than China. And even though both China and India both get called "developing" it's not as if they're really comparable that simply either.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
That's correct, but China and India aren't claiming to be leaders of the free world or, with the exception of China, the richest countries on the planet. Is life better here than in the majority of India? In many ways, especially if you're white, certainly. But consider the proportion of money in a Scandinavian country's economy and their welfare and labor laws, and compare that to the US'. We're much richer, yet people's lives literally depend on them having a job, while no such disparity exists across Scandinavia. Taking sick time? Maternity leave? Even taking vacation hours to which you are entitled are tickets to getting screamed at by your employer and risk getting fired, and losing everything you have. While the problem is systemic across all industries in the US, it is truly some poo poo that pisses me off and I think it's always relevant to working in IT.

Nobody should have to worry about losing everything because they need to rest at home for a few measly days in a country where we can afford to not have that happen.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Chalets the Baka posted:

That's correct, but China and India aren't claiming to be leaders of the free world or, with the exception of China, the richest countries on the planet. Is life better here than in the majority of India? In many ways, especially if you're white, certainly. But consider the proportion of money in a Scandinavian country's economy and their welfare and labor laws, and compare that to the US'. We're much richer, yet people's lives literally depend on them having a job, while no such disparity exists across Scandinavia. Taking sick time? Maternity leave? Even taking vacation hours to which you are entitled are tickets to getting screamed at by your employer and risk getting fired, and losing everything you have. While the problem is systemic across all industries in the US, it is truly some poo poo that pisses me off and I think it's always relevant to working in IT.

Nobody should have to worry about losing everything because they need to rest at home for a few measly days in a country where we can afford to not have that happen.

All valid points, but one thing people always fail to realize about Scandinavia is that not a single Scandinavian country has a population larger than New York City (I'm counting the part of New Jersey that's basically NYC, because despite the protests of NYC residents, it is). It's much easier to effect positive change in a smaller, more homogeneous population. Take a country with a population 35 times bigger than Sweden's, with a relatively recent history of domestic slavery and genocide, and with diverse ethnic and religious groups, and getting anyone to agree on anything as simple as minor changes to a social safety net becomes nearly impossible. Look at how much push back there was to the ACA - the exact same system designed and championed by the Republican candidate in 2012, and which numerous governmental and independent agencies had projected to save the US taxpayers billions of dollars over the course of just two decades.

The same thing can really be said about most countries in North and South America, not just the United States. It's incredibly easy to sit back and say that something should be a certain way. It's an entirely different problem to sit down and figure out how to make that happen.

psydude fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 18, 2014

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

psydude posted:

All valid points, but one thing people always fail to realize about Scandinavia is that not a single Scandinavian country has a population larger than New York City. It's much easier to effect positive change in a smaller, more homogeneous population. Take a country with a population 35 times bigger than Sweden's, with a relatively recent history of domestic slavery and genocide, and with diverse ethnic and religious groups, and getting anyone to agree on anything as simple as minor changes to a social safety net becomes nearly impossible. Look at how much push back there was to the ACA - the exact same system designed and championed by the Republican candidate in 2012, and which numerous governmental and independent agencies had projected to save the US taxpayers billions of dollars over the course of just two decades.

The same thing can really be said about most countries in North and South America, not just the United States. It's incredibly easy to sit back and say that something should be a certain way. It's an entirely different problem to sit down and figure out how to make that happen.

While on its face, the argument "Sweden's population doesn't approach America's by a longshot, checkmate." might make sense, consider that the population of the entirety of Western Europe is 80 million bodies larger than the United States and all Western European countries have universal healthcare, and worker's rights, and a robust welfare system to protect and grow its citizens. The States part of the United States are much like individual countries, and there's zero legitimate reason - none - that we can't implement and accomplish the same things.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
And here I am, sipping tee from the UK and enjoying my more than I will ever use amount of sick days. Suck it, other countries :smug:

(Before anyone points it out, I got that bonus poo poo in my contract put into my basic)

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

meanieface posted:

looks like loading 90s website photos

Ahh, pixelation and slow top-down loading. The fetish that almost was.

potato of destiny
Aug 21, 2005

Yeah, welcome to the club, pal.
poo poo that is pissing me off this week: Microsoft, and their increasingly lovely windows updates.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

potato of destiny posted:

poo poo that is pissing me off this week: Microsoft, and their increasingly lovely windows updates.

gently caress, i just approved a bunch of updates. What blew up now?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Sickening posted:

gently caress, i just approved a bunch of updates. What blew up now?

KB382694 replaces all Sony icons with pictures of glorious leader.

AutoArgus
Jun 24, 2009
Client challenged me to send them something that slips through the cracks of their new content filter to test it out.

Just goatse'd a client.

:v:

AutoArgus fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Dec 18, 2014

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

So, there's a customer of ours that is asking for "Use Cases" for our troubleshooting. A little background. My group is the escalation point of last resort besides project stuff we do based on my company's technology. In our group are SME's for not just the specific tech we make and manage, but in info sec, networking, that kind of stuff. When things are escalated to us, we're typically beyond any kind of rule-of-thumb or standard resolutions. It's poo poo has well and truly hit the fan, but no one can locate the fan kind of problems. So when we get pulled into those issues, we tend to diagnose from experience and deep knowledge of the product and technologies involved. Hell, sometimes I'll come up with a solution and have to work my way backward to the problem to present the logic behind it.

So, this customer doesn't like that. They want to know what our "play book" is. How do we arrive at the conclusions we reach. Is there a standardized method. THEY WANT loving SWIM LANES. And little binders with Case 1) and then steps on diagnosing and resolving. Case 2) and more steps. I very surprised they haven't been told to piss off, but maybe not as they do pay us a substantial amount of money. So now there's an internal meeting with senior personnel on how we're going to prepare this information for the customer.

Oh, and the rich thing is, they aren't even unhappy with us. We have a good working relationship with their IT teams and have resolved more than a few thorny issues with them. This seems to be driven by the executive class because apparently they wield some measure of this control over other, lesser vendors and service providers. Whatever, during the internal meeting I was steaming and I had this little chat via IM with my Boss who was on the call, and 100% got our backs on this (honestly, this is being pursued internally by the account teams. go figure)

ME:
Here I have use cases
Case 1 - gently caress off

BOSS:
yes I know,

ME:
Case 2 - because we're smart and good at this stuff.
Case 3 - Seriously, go away and let me do my job.

BOSS:
1,2,3, :)

ME:
I can make those into a swim lanes if you want

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 18, 2014

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Man, it's times like this that make me glad I work in a company with unlimited sick time where if you don't take your vacation days they roll over an unlimited amount. Also, after three years your sick time goes up by 40 hours every year. ... And there's paid maternity leave. And paid bereavement leave. Neither of those comes out of your PTO budget.

Our health insurance is bitchin', too. I went in for a check on my integrated cardioverter/defibrillator, and the four hours I spent in the hospital for that were no problem. poo poo, the six DAYS it took me to recover from the installation were no issue, either. No copay on either... I'm starting to think that I really have it made, here.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

AutoArgus posted:

Client challenged me to send them something that slips through the cracks of their new content filter to test it out.

Just goatse'd a client.

How is that possible?

Surely step one of designing any content filter is to stop goatse. It's like a basic standard.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

spog posted:

How is that possible?

Surely step one of designing any content filter is to stop goatse. It's like a basic standard.

Step 1 is a naughty words regex. Step 2 is randomly blocking things because *reasons*. Step 3 is don't block goatse for some reason.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

flosofl posted:

So, there's a customer of ours that is asking for "Use Cases" for our troubleshooting. A little background. My group is the escalation point of last resort besides project stuff we do based on my company's technology. In our group are SME's for not just the specific tech we make and manage, but in info sec, networking, that kind of stuff. When things are escalated to us, we're typically beyond any kind of rule-of-thumb or standard resolutions. It's poo poo has well and truly hit the fan, but no one can locate the fan kind of problems. So when we get pulled into those issues, we tend to diagnose from experience and deep knowledge of the product and technologies involved. Hell, sometimes I'll come up with a solution and have to work my way backward to the problem to present the logic behind it.

So, this customer doesn't like that. They want to know what our "play book" is. How do we arrive at the conclusions we reach. Is there a standardized method. THEY WANT loving SWIM LANES. And little binders with Case 1) and then steps on diagnosing and resolving. Case 2) and more steps. I very surprised they haven't been told to piss off, but maybe not as they do pay us a substantial amount of money. So now there's an internal meeting with senior personnel on how we're going to prepare this information for the customer.

Oh, and the rich thing is, they aren't even unhappy with us. We have a good working relationship with their IT teams and have resolved more than a few thorny issues with them. This seems to be driven by the executive class because apparently they wield some measure of this control over other, lesser vendors and service providers. Whatever, during the internal meeting I was steaming and I had this little chat via IM with my Boss who was on the call, and 100% got our backs on this (honestly, this is being pursued internally by the account teams. go figure)

ME:
Here I have use cases
Case 1 - gently caress off

BOSS:
yes I know,

ME:
Case 2 - because we're smart and good at this stuff.
Case 3 - Seriously, go away and let me do my job.

BOSS:
1,2,3, :)

ME:
I can make those into a swim lanes if you want
Do I smell some consultants loitering around with your customer

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

angry armadillo posted:

Do I smell some consultants loitering around with your customer

I wouldn't be surprised. Accenture is the Belloq to my Indiana Jones. Always showing up after I do the heavy lifting.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Again we see there is nothing you can virtualize which I cannot v2p.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
I <3 u DT

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
I think I've reached maximum VoIP/eFax kool-aid saturation. I shudder every time I see a 66 block.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Roargasm posted:

I did something really similar about a year and a half ago in a similar environment. The federal government provides massive grants to make this kind of stuff happen in schools and you should absolutely take advantage.

My building is about 900 users, and over the summer I ripped out at least 50 netgear hubs, brought in 10GbE with fiber to the core, and banned ethernet connections for most of my users. We're at 50 Aerohive WAPs going up to 55 this year and it's working great with ubiquitous dual band coverage and gigabit internet. I hover around 700 devices daily on the wireless network, including wireless cards in all of the student desktops that are left (we're 85% mobile now). My 2.4 ghz band is incredibly crowded but I expect that problem to get better every day and it's possible to steer clients up to the 5ghz band in a pinch. I get much better metrics from Aerohive than I ever did with traditional monitoring too. So much control :science: I didn't have to go to bid once and I get 80% off the ISP. State contracts and E-Rate are cool.

One thing we did not consider was that state testing (PARCC specifically for us) is incredibly failure prone on wireless. We had to rewire a couple classrooms just to be sure this stuff would work when the online version of the test becomes mandatory.

Yeah, I think we're too late to get E-Rate this time around, but we're planning on applying and hopefully being able to make use of the funding to get to that one-WAP-per-classroom point.
I believe the plan is that every laptop, computer, and tablet we buy from now on will be 5GHz. 5GHz will be a private, secure-as-we-can-manage (maybe MAC whitelist) AD network, while 2.4GHz will be our public BYOD internet-only network. One of our problems right now is how overly difficult it is to get on our wireless despite still having to sign into our webfilter once you're connected. We're broadcasting like 5 different SSIDs. Terrible.

We're using SBAC for our state testing, and we've had relatively good results with it on wireless (we could have 90 netbooks connected to one Ruckus WAP and as long as we staggered logins and program launches a bit, it worked well), especially when they introduced local caching servers. My biggest issues with it are stupid GUI decisions & bugs, that make using it on most of our mobile labs problematic (they're mostly older, cheap netbooks and generally top out at like 600 vertical res. The software doesn't play well with low vertical res and can freak out, preventing students from scrolling or displaying questions properly. We had identical problems with the software for two years in a row).

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
If I hear "hey good thing I reached you I need a network engineer, my printer won't work" ONE. MORE. TIME...

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Dick Trauma posted:

Again we see there is nothing you can virtualize which I cannot v2p.

It occurs to me that I could (and did) say 'it belongs in a museum' a lot at my last job. drat round-reel tape drives.

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
An email comes in inviting everyone in Support to the annual kick-off meeting in a nice hotel with a party and partners are also invited.

Then a follow-up email arrives clarifying that support engineers aren't invited.

Almost as good for morale as hearing people talk about their annual bonus and realise that again the support engineers were the only people not to get them. One of our european teams started some union legal action to clarify what numbers have to be met to get the bonus and rather than comply the company announced they were cancelling the bonus scheme.

skooky
Oct 2, 2013

Baconroll posted:

An email comes in inviting everyone in Support to the annual kick-off meeting in a nice hotel with a party and partners are also invited.

Then a follow-up email arrives clarifying that support engineers aren't invited.

Almost as good for morale as hearing people talk about their annual bonus and realise that again the support engineers were the only people not to get them. One of our european teams started some union legal action to clarify what numbers have to be met to get the bonus and rather than comply the company announced they were cancelling the bonus scheme.

That is all kinds of hosed up and lovely.

My favourite thing is heading upstairs when sales are putting on free food (support not invited) and just taking it - 99.9% of the time they are too spineless to say anything about it

:ohdear: I.. I thought this was for sales only

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

My boss is so bad for that. (Among so many other thing she's bad at)

Holds meetings and lunches for development, doesn't invite QA.

Yeah way to create a team there.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.

Dudley posted:

My boss is so bad for that. (Among so many other thing she's bad at)

Holds meetings and lunches for development, doesn't invite QA.

Yeah way to create a team there.

The annual holiday grazing was scheduled for today and Bob Evan's is catering - from 11am until 1pm. If any of the other shifts want food they have to come in on their time off. It's like they forget that half of the unit doesn't work 1st shift, and those of us on the weekend don't even work on Friday. We politely pointed this out and were told too bad - either come when the food is being served or don't eat. It's like they're not even trying to pretend they don't give a poo poo about anyone who isn't on 1st shift, but that's okay. I'm bringing in my famous spaghetti and meat sauce and garlic bread on Saturday for the weekend 3rd shift. The five of us are going to eat like kings.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

skooky posted:

That is all kinds of hosed up and lovely.

My favourite thing is heading upstairs when sales are putting on free food (support not invited) and just taking it - 99.9% of the time they are too spineless to say anything about it

:ohdear: I.. I thought this was for sales only

I went upstairs to see everyone crowding round a bunch of cakes only to be told this this specifically was for this floor, and no one else was allowed. Really wanted to just take a slice to see what they'd do. Maybe eat it while staring them in the eye.

Instead I slunk back to my cave like the lesser person I am.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

flosofl posted:

I wouldn't be surprised. Accenture is the Belloq to my Indiana Jones. Always showing up after I do the heavy lifting.

In Denmark they go by the name Accidenture. They hosed up the City of Copenhagen's migration to a new (Accenture driven) payroll system so bad it cost them $millions to fix, and in the end they had to roll back several months' of pay for a thousand people that for some reason or other just didn't show up as having been paid or not. Some people got $0 for months while others got quadruple pay. The City had to make emergency bank transfers to cover the affected people and wound up publicly begging all their employees to go over their pay stubs and accounts carefully and transfer any extra pay back voluntarily, because no one knew who got too much.

The company still exist in Denmark, but they haven't gotten any big clients since that stunt, and most of their employees are fresh out of college because anyone with a reputation doesn't want them on their CV. :v:

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

skooky posted:

If they do say anything, then you just go "Oh, I'll be sure to let the others know" and leave with your free food. What are they gonna make you do, throw it away?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Spazz posted:

If they do say anything, then you just go "Oh, I'll be sure to let the others know" and leave with your free food. What are they gonna make you do, throw it away?

Helping yourself and complementing the whole thing while doing it is a great tactic as well. You are being really nice, they would look like giant jerks if they told you to gently caress off. Appearances matter a lot in an office. Abuse it to get free food.

My company had the christmas lunch today, and out of the 5-6 people working in the kitchen, only one was called up to thank them for the work. The others, some who did a lot of the work, got nothing. Director is a nice guy, but tends to forget to include everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Crowley posted:

In Denmark they go by the name Accidenture. They hosed up the City of Copenhagen's migration to a new (Accenture driven) payroll system so bad it cost them $millions to fix, and in the end they had to roll back several months' of pay for a thousand people that for some reason or other just didn't show up as having been paid or not. Some people got $0 for months while others got quadruple pay. The City had to make emergency bank transfers to cover the affected people and wound up publicly begging all their employees to go over their pay stubs and accounts carefully and transfer any extra pay back voluntarily, because no one knew who got too much.

The company still exist in Denmark, but they haven't gotten any big clients since that stunt, and most of their employees are fresh out of college because anyone with a reputation doesn't want them on their CV. :v:

I still remember when they used to be part of Arthur Andersen consulting. The CIO at one of the first companies I started at used to have a rule "No Andersen consultants." He said when they were hired as a 3rd party to audit and recommend solutions it was always interesting how the only solution they recommended was an expensive service supplied by Andersen.

They spun off of Andersen right before the Enron thing (the Enron accounting scandal more or less destroyed Andersen as the powerhouse they used to be). Unfortunately, the taint followed.

I've been in meetings with some of their "power" consultants. Talking "best of breed" and "synergizing" workflows. And condescension. Dripping, syrupy condescension. Like we were lucky they were on the call. Of course, between myself and a coworker who is a genuine, certified genius (knows it and gives zero fucks), Accenture no longer wants to be in the same meetings we are in. We spend most of the meetings citing RFCs, product documentation, bug reports, and god drat common sense to tear into any solution they recommend. They sound good and like they will address the issue at hand, but there's always something that will make it not work as intended, break hilariously during common usage scenarios, or end up being some kind of jargon laden service that is still in the design phase. My boss actually received an email from one of our PMs that Accenture complained about our "unprofessionalism" when we had invalidated most of the solution he wanted us to implement as non-workable for technical reasons. Boss shared that one with the group. We laughed.

gently caress Accenture.