Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Ran a silly zombie run today and got complemented for the size of my thunder thighs by a dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
latest cycle results:

bench 265x5
squat 380x13
ohp 180x1 LAFF
dl 495x10

running 3/4 mile in a 7-730 pace without my knee feeling like poo poo the day after too. Super

Pft stuff is steadily getting back to where it used to be or improving by busting prs every so often.

227-230 body weight

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

ElMaligno posted:

Ran a silly zombie run today and got complemented for the size of my thunder thighs by a dude

You at Robins?

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Yo peeps, help a fat brother out.
I want to start a lifting routine, but not sure where to start. I would prefer to avoid free weights at the start and rely on the machines at the gym. Lower body isn't a concern, I got that handled. Not so worried about getting bigger, though that wouldnt be a problem. I just need a starter routine. I used to do this poo poo, but have forgetten everything I used to know, and trying to google for this poo poo is innundating. Anyone want to help me out?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

free weights every day

machines are for women and old people

just lift weights eat less and stop being fat

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

free weights every day

machines are for women and old people

just lift weights eat less and stop being fat

Already eating less, and doing cardio. I have lost nearly 100lbs since Feb.
And I am broken as poo poo so qualify as an old person.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

Already eating less, and doing cardio. I have lost nearly 100lbs since Feb.
And I am broken as poo poo so qualify as an old person.

ok if you're broken and need to use machines then you need to talk to a PT and figure some poo poo out, honestly.

otherwise starting strength is a very good beginner program, as long as you take it slow and make sure your form is top notch.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

bulletsponge13 posted:

I want to start a lifting routine, but not sure where to start. I would prefer to avoid free weights at the start and rely on the machines at the gym. Lower body isn't a concern, I got that handled. Not so worried about getting bigger, though that wouldnt be a problem. I just need a starter routine. I used to do this poo poo, but have forgetten everything I used to know, and trying to google for this poo poo is innundating. Anyone want to help me out?

You're really limiting yourself if you're not using free weights. Go to YLLS and find the Starting Strength thread. many a goon has gotten a lifting start from that thread. I know I did. Go to that and then squat deadlift and bench a ton and then you'll be strong like ox.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Quick update:

235 squats
250 deadlift
Can do 4 chinups in a row now
Can do 2 pullups in a row now

Drinking a bloody mary now :dealwithit:

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah as ready said starting strength is great. If you already have legs covered in however way you've convinced yourself at least focus on power/compound lifts. Assuming you can do them physically.

Lift heavy cold iron. Then do the same thing but a bit heavier. Rinse/repeat. Eat some food.

He'll even weighted pull-ups and dips (assuming you can do 10 body weight) will get your upper body far.

Not to be too intrusive but what are your physical limitations? I think we could help you out better if we had a better understanding

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Two blown out knees (two torn ACLs that Orthos say aren't worth fixing, and torn PCL in the left knee, crushed cartiledge, and general arthritis), blown right ankle, and compressed spine. These are just the ones that gently caress up my exercise routine.
I can't do squats/deadlifts/ lifting that requires legs, as per doctor's orders. I already ignore much of his advice by hiking, and various cardio, but not being able to walk the next day, or getting stuck in the down position doesn't work out so well. When I said lower body is covered, I meant that I am not worried about the skipping leg day day look. I was planning on sticking to machines because they are more forgiving form wise, and I don't have to stand. I am also worried about using hosed up form and not getting the proper results.
I know I sound like a big baby, but I really do want to get in better shape, but need to go slow.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

The reason that machines suck compared to iron is that you use your muscles to keep it steady as you go through the movement of your exercise. A machine does that for you, which takes away a bunch of the effectiveness.

Machines have a use- like I said, if you're broken and can't perform the exercise safely, then it's all you got. But free weights do so much more for you than a machine.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

bulletsponge13 posted:

Two blown out knees (two torn ACLs that Orthos say aren't worth fixing, and torn PCL in the left knee, crushed cartiledge, and general arthritis), blown right ankle, and compressed spine. These are just the ones that gently caress up my exercise routine.
I can't do squats/deadlifts/ lifting that requires legs, as per doctor's orders. I already ignore much of his advice by hiking, and various cardio, but not being able to walk the next day, or getting stuck in the down position doesn't work out so well. When I said lower body is covered, I meant that I am not worried about the skipping leg day day look. I was planning on sticking to machines because they are more forgiving form wise, and I don't have to stand. I am also worried about using hosed up form and not getting the proper results.
I know I sound like a big baby, but I really do want to get in better shape, but need to go slow.

Yeah, I'd say you're broken enough to qualify to using machines.

I'd say look for a gym with a decent Nautilus or w/e brand circuit routine. Dips/pullups would be great too, but really I would talk to a PT to see if they could recommend stuff for you to be doing.

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010

bulletsponge13 posted:

Sorry to hear about your injuries man. Some of the best beginner workouts are simple 3x8 or 5x5 routines where you hit 3-5 exercises per session and have you training 4-5 days a week. Look up something on body building.com or starting strength. It's not so much choosing the "right program" as it is just being consistent with training, eating, and rest. Get those 3 locked on, and you'll be doing well. The biggest mistake people make is assuming the gym is where it all happens. This is dead wrong. You can bust your rear end day in and out, but if you don't eat the right food to fuel your body, and your rest is poo poo, you simply won't progress and you'll feel like poo poo all the time.

If you can, get those surgeries to fix up your knees. Even if you're not going to be a professional athlete, walking, hiking, jogging dead lifting and squatting moderate weight shouldn't be debilitating exercises for the rest of your life. At the least, get a referral to a physical therapist to work with you and your injuries and show you how to strengthen your legs using some other kind of work.

Free weights are great for compound movements, and machines are great for isolating weak spots and may allow you to do stuff that your injuries normally prevent your from doing with free weight. Do what you can, and good luck.

Before you start changing up your diet you need to figure out your daily averages for the junk you're inhaling now. Don't change up a thing for a week, and just write down numbers for your meals. Calories, sugar, carbs, trans fat etc. This will give you an idea of where you need to start lowering your counts to help shed weight. Most often high carb intake leads to putting on fat, so eating less carbs is were most people start. The next point is don't go for fad diets. poo poo like no carb, paleo, juicing blah blah blah. Save that for later or never do it (juicing is retarded). If you can't control the normal food you eat, you're going to flop during a more intense one where you may find your energy levels plummeting because you're not allowed to eat any carbs. Log whatever you drink too, including beer, and log you body weight to see how it fluxuates with what you eat.

I hope it doesn't seem to over whelming since you're just starting. Key things are: know what you eat and how it affects your body weight/how you do in the gym (treat food as fuel). training consistently, and get 8 hours of sleep a night. Simple.

ElMaligno posted:

Quick update:

235 squats
250 deadlift
Can do 4 chinups in a row now
Can do 2 pullups in a row now

Drinking a bloody mary now :dealwithit:

nice job!

elite_garbage_man fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 7, 2014

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Thanks everyone. I want to respond to everyone, but holy poo poo you guys are stellar with support and poo poo.
Eating- I have been adjusting my eating habits slowly. Cutting out fast food, cutting out all the useless crap, watching what I take in, and eating healthier poo poo has all helped a lot, along with cardio most days. I went from about 350 in Feb (avg. 346, with maxing closer to 360) to 265 last week. It hasn't been easy, but gently caress it, nothing easy is worth it. Except sluts- god bless their slutty little hearts. All kidding aside, cutting out soda and caffiene sucked. Bad.

On the knees- I have seen 8 or 9 Orthos, each diagnosing a different problem until I saw the same Ortho team that the Eagles were using and a Doc finally saw that everyone missed ACL tears years prior. The Ortho who did my scope surgery went ahead and cut a bunch of tendons to relieve pressure a few years prior, and compounded all the issues. I have done a couple courses of PT, with no significant results. The last Ortho said surgery was an option, but not a great one- my ACL is already at the lower limits of what a surgical repair would be, and he said wouldn't help too much with the pain, considering all the other poo poo. He was also the only surgeon I have ever met who didn't want to cut me, so there's that. Surprisingly, after all the weight loss, I seem to hurt more and longer than before, even when doing nothing, but it's whatevs, I need to get unfat.

I will give free weights a try, after checking out the starting strength thread. I will also start checking this thread.

Not for nothing, tonight I did an hour at 68- 70 RPMs on the eliptical (it sucked), then a short ab thing to get my feet wet. In the past I have gone too hard, too fast and hosed up my momentum. 20 full sit ups, 50 crunches, 50 reps on the Ab Coaster (no weight) foward and obliques.

GaelicNinja
Feb 15, 2012
Why not swim? I know you're doing a lot of cardio anyways, but swimming is both low impact and hits the rest of your body as well. Water routines in general are pretty great for low impact workouts anyway, since it gives resistance and cushioning too.

Kick-Puncher
Jan 20, 2006
So I stopped running and my run on my PT test has continued to drop ~14, 13:45, to 12:58 on saturday. I have just been doing a bro split for lifting 3 days a week. I dont know what the gently caress and my weight increased by about 15 pounds.

On the opposite end of the spectrum how do I make sure one of my guys actually does things for exercise? I am NG so I live about 45 minutes away from him and there is no way I am driving up to run with his rear end.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Kick-Puncher posted:

On the opposite end of the spectrum how do I make sure one of my guys actually does things for exercise? I am NG so I live about 45 minutes away from him and there is no way I am driving up to run with his rear end.

You threaten him with physical harm and then follow through when he does not do what you say.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Give him a written counseling, that'll show him

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Kick-Puncher posted:

So I stopped running and my run on my PT test has continued to drop ~14, 13:45, to 12:58 on saturday. I have just been doing a bro split for lifting 3 days a week. I dont know what the gently caress and my weight increased by about 15 pounds.

If he's NG and not motivated enough to work out he's not going to. It sucks but it's the loving truth. We had people on remedial pt that had to bring in logs of when they worked out, which could easily be faked but at the same time it's easy to test them and see if they're doing anything at all each month.

Just keep a paper trail and kick him the gently caress out and be happier that he hosed himself over by not working out hard enough to get a 60 in each event.

Kick-Puncher
Jan 20, 2006

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

If he's NG and not motivated enough to work out he's not going to. It sucks but it's the loving truth. We had people on remedial pt that had to bring in logs of when they worked out, which could easily be faked but at the same time it's easy to test them and see if they're doing anything at all each month.

Just keep a paper trail and kick him the gently caress out and be happier that he hosed himself over by not working out hard enough to get a 60 in each event.

This is where I am at right now. He is safe for another year I think he has to go two years without passing a record test. He passed the last one because of a profile and some bullshit regulation.

Yelling and smoking do nothing other than bring tears and vomit.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Kick-Puncher posted:

This is where I am at right now. He is safe for another year I think he has to go two years without passing a record test. He passed the last one because of a profile and some bullshit regulation.

Give him a diagnostic each month until he passes.

terrez
Mar 20, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkZ0hcJPcFw

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Kick-Puncher posted:

unless youre combat arms you should stop giving such a gently caress you goddamn weirdo

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

So I joined the 24 hour gym near me last week. It's awesome to be off work at 3am and be at the gym at 3:10am and working out

I haven't worked out in like 6 months so I'm just starting over from scratch on starting strength, doing 50 lbs squats is bullshit but whatever, I'm taking it slow as gently caress and not going to gently caress up my knee again

random question- the modified SS has people doing deadlifts every day until power cleans like 4 weeks in to replace one of the days. I'm saying gently caress it until I can at least get back to 135 on the deadlifts so I don't have to bend over so far to do them. I do them on my B days still, but I've just been doing 5 sets of 3 pendlay rows on A days with all the warmups and poo poo. Sound ok, or is there something better I can be doing to help myself out?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

unless youre combat arms you should stop giving such a gently caress you goddamn weirdo

fat pogs are the worst pogs

Kick-Puncher
Jan 20, 2006

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

Combat engineer, I would be happy with him transferring to medcom but I dont think that they will even take him.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

random question- the modified SS has people doing deadlifts every day until power cleans like 4 weeks in to replace one of the days. I'm saying gently caress it until I can at least get back to 135 on the deadlifts so I don't have to bend over so far to do them. I do them on my B days still, but I've just been doing 5 sets of 3 pendlay rows on A days with all the warmups and poo poo. Sound ok, or is there something better I can be doing to help myself out?

That's not a modified SS, that how the actual SS program starts. You deadlift three times a day for "the first couple weeks" (no actual time is given in the book) then you move into power cleans. Also Rips never talks about doing rows (mentioning rows in the YLLS SS thread is a no no LOL), so just deadlift for two weeks and start powercleaning on the third. Also you can probably add pull-ups and chin-ups to your routine of the third/forth week.

Since I cant do power cleans my current SS workout looks like:

Workout A:
Squat
BenchPress
Deadlift
Chin-ups (currently 3X5)

Workout B:
Squat
Press
Deadlift (-20 lbs the max rep so I don't destroy my back)
Pullups (currently 2X5)

You could also alternate between deadlifts and back-extensions (I just remembered back extensions now LOL), then alternate deadlifts/powercleans and back-extensions.

I think I'll just change my second deadlift day into a back-extension day.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

So I joined the 24 hour gym near me last week. It's awesome to be off work at 3am and be at the gym at 3:10am and working out

I haven't worked out in like 6 months so I'm just starting over from scratch on starting strength, doing 50 lbs squats is bullshit but whatever, I'm taking it slow as gently caress and not going to gently caress up my knee again

Do the deadlifts with less than 135 and rest the bar + weight on some stacked up plates. Alternatively if they have a power cage just put the bar a couple pegs up from the bottom and pull from there.

In other news, 5/3/1 continues to impress the poo poo out of me. I am making steady progress on all my lifts and in particular I've smashed through previous highs on my overhead press. Bench is probably my slowest progression, I seem to be about to plateau soon but I have made some progress. Unfortunately as I've mentioned before I've been blessed with monkey arms without the monkey strength.

Also, I've cut out deadlifts for the time being. It is a great lift but as a I get older, I'm not sure what it costs me in recovery is worth the payback. It's not like I'm training for a comp, I'm just trying to be strong and fit. It seems like regular deadlifting leaves me with a much higher fatigue level and detracts from my other lifts and workouts. I will probably try to go back to DL after my PRT this week and just start hella low and work my way up and see if that helps.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

vulturesrow posted:

Alternatively if they have a power cage just put the bar a couple pegs up from the bottom and pull from there.

im dumb, and feel dumber for not thinking of this

ty for your service

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

phone died last night when I was writing this and I fell asleep so here goes.

The lower you start the better on SS IMO. Too many people (me included I made this mistake my first time as well) go way too heavy on their initial lifts because they want to look strong or some poo poo

Uhm, are you following this one? Just follow the OP

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522349&perpage=40#post410496136

I did pendlay rows instead if bent over because I like them and haven't been "coached" properly in power cleans. So I'm scared to be pushing big wait there. Pendlay are fun and make you feel like a beast. Just make sure you get your form in check.

Pull ups and dips are a nice addition. Work your way up with those just like the other lifts. Toward the end I was doing 2x6-8 pull ups with 60 lbs. :getin:

I did the hyper extensions but didn't really bother with ab work unless I felt like it

Anyways if you know what you're doing and poo poo etc you'll see great results. I was doing mild cardio in conjunction and saw great results in physique and size.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Looks like my protein still has 40% off whole site for Black Friday

us.myprotein.com/home.dept

11 lb bag of whey for like $50-60, heh. I spent more than I'd like to say. Plus a ton of peanut butter and instant oats

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Ok, checking back in. My gym doesn't have a nautilus circuit, so I am back on my own or I have to find time to meet with the personal trainer rear end in a top hat.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
Its amazing how eating more can help your lifts so much. I've added 40 lbs to my deadlift by eating more.i now get taped though.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

So a couple weeks ago I fell on the stairs directly onto my tailbone. I took it easy and laid off the gym while my butt, neck, and back recovered.

Neck and back are doing good, butt still feels a bit off, but doesn't hurt. Eager to get back to the gym though so I think I'm just going to lay off deadlifts/squats for a while.

Anything different you guys could recommend that doesn't work the butt? Probably going to work on my bench and stuff.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

So a couple weeks ago I fell on the stairs directly onto my tailbone. I took it easy and laid off the gym while my butt, neck, and back recovered.

Neck and back are doing good, butt still feels a bit off, but doesn't hurt. Eager to get back to the gym though so I think I'm just going to lay off deadlifts/squats for a while.

Anything different you guys could recommend that doesn't work the butt? Probably going to work on my bench and stuff.

I'd suggest trying as much as you can without actual pain, honestly. Gradually and carefully, but the general rule with back injuries is the less you baby it the better the outcomes are.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

FOURTH WAVE LESBRO posted:

I'd suggest trying as much as you can without actual pain, honestly. Gradually and carefully, but the general rule with back injuries is the less you baby it the better the outcomes are.

Yeah, I felt it last night a bit so I basically said gently caress it and did the treadmill for a bit while watching ESPN guys make fun of the Bears. At least I'm not hurting today but man

gently caress backs

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
Hit a pretty big mile stone this week on bench as my workout weight 3x8 at 225 with a minute rest between sets. Less than a year ago I could barely put this weight up for 7 reps as my max set for 5/3/1 now I tossed it around like some baby weight. Last set had to be broken up into 6/2 but still rad I got the first two without even stopping to catch my breath.

Also hit a set of 75 pushups in 2 minutes at 230lbs bw the next day.

Train consistently, eat, sleep, get results.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Seems no matter how much I bench or how great of shape I am my pushups loving suck. I got perfect form but I can only do maybe 40-50 honest non-PFA pushups. poo poo even when I was dipping 65 lbs 2x8 my pushups sucked

I do have some perfect pushups which have been collecting dust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I got long noodle arms and I suck real bad at push-ups. I've always had big legs and playing soccer growing up just made them better. I'm lucky I joined the navy cause I could totally max pushups there with their weak standards and lack of giving a poo poo.