Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I kind of think Hillary would actually lose a general election. I also think the republican nominee is going to be Rand Paul , who's going to appeal to young idealists just enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

greatn posted:

I also think the republican nominee is going to be Rand Paul , who's going to appeal to young idealists just enough.

Where are you seeing this groundswell of support among youngins for Rand Paul?

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
I hope we get another Santorum Surge too.

Rand Paul appeals to the rats nest hair crowd.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Alter Ego posted:

So...is this the RNC saying they'd support Elizabeth Warren? I don't get it.

It is pretty standard to try to interfere in the opposition's primary to bolster either the candidate you see as weaker, or to try to even the fight out so it gets more vicious and damaging for the eventual winner. Here what they're basically trying to do is to try to plant memes that will be used against Hillary in the primaries, weakening her for the general.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Rand Paul gave a fairly well-received speech in hostile territory at Cal, although he mainly stuck to poo poo he knew that crowd would like (e.g. gently caress the NSA, gently caress drones) instead of the black skeletons in his closet about the Civil Rights Act and such.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Rand Paul gave a fairly well-received speech at Cal, although he mainly stuck to poo poo he knew that crowd would like (e.g. gently caress the NSA, gently caress drones) instead of the black skeletons in his closet about the Civil Rights Act and such.

Did he actually say anything of substance? That's his problem: talks a lot but says little.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Is Ron going to run?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Is Ron going to run?

What do you think the point of Rand Paul is exactly?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

DemeaninDemon posted:

Did he actually say anything of substance? That's his problem: talks a lot but says little.

That perfectly describes his speech, actually.

Anecdotally the only Rand supporter I know is this white business student at Pitt I knew from my study abroad, and he supported Romney and McCain. Guy also threw me a bunch of casual racism on a bus, which made me not at all surprised when I learned he supports Rand for president.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Rand Paul gave a fairly well-received speech in hostile territory at Cal, although he mainly stuck to poo poo he knew that crowd would like (e.g. gently caress the NSA, gently caress drones) instead of the black skeletons in his closet about the Civil Rights Act and such.

Mainly he's competent enough to do this, and groups that he's offended he's gone and listened to extensively, probably to learn how to not offend them while saying the same basic message. He's able to go to the right of most of his party on issues the primary cares about, then he's able to go to the left of Hillary in the general on lots of issues independents care about.
Most notably foreign policy and police matters.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

That perfectly describes his speech, actually.

Anecdotally the only Rand supporter I know is this white business student at Pitt I knew from my study abroad, and he supported Romney and McCain. Guy also threw me a bunch of casual racism on a bus, which made me not at all surprised when I learned he supports Rand for president.

Was he an ideas guy? Rands an ideas man.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

DemeaninDemon posted:

The fear of Hillary is enough for me to support her regardless of how lovely y'all think she'll be.
I am totally looking forward to "the 90's redux", complete with Whitewater, Vince Foster, Monica Lewinsky, and maybe even Cattle Futures.:allears: This will be balanced out/bolstered by Bill and Hillary Clinton's newest and biggest scandal ever, BENGHAZI!
(I was watching an Al-Jazeera report about the current civil war in Libya, and one of the things they were talking about was the current fighting happening in Benghazi. Thanks to all the Republican screaming, the word "Benghazi" no longer registers to me as an actual place in Libya.:()

Joementum posted:

Romney got 47% of the vote and Karl's (hilarious) reaction wasn't that strange. Nobody predicted that Obama would beat the turnout models in 2012 and get more of the minority vote than he did in 2008.
This remains the greatest loving thing from that election.:allears:

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Is Ron going to run?
No, he's going to be 81 in 2016, and even the majority of hardcore Ron-Paulites acknowledge that he's too old now (dude would be 86 at the end of a hypothetical first term). Some of the Paulites are shifting over to Rand Paul, some are waiting until the primaries are closer to decide what to do, and some are splintering/looking for a new "messiah".

fade5 fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 18, 2014

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

DemeaninDemon posted:

Was he an ideas guy? Rands an ideas man.

I wouldn't be able to tell you man, I kinda kept my distance from him after one too many "where you from? no, where are you really from" questions.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Oh lordy I love the Monica line how it's Hillary's fault her husband got a bj from another woman.

E: yeah that dude totally sounds like the ideas man. Give him your finest knuckle sandwich if you ever see him again and he's unchanged.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Of the democrats it basically is Hilary's but personally I hope Jerry Brown runs and wins.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

greatn posted:

Of the democrats it basically is Hilary's but personally I hope Jerry Brown runs and wins.

Why do you hate America?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, “I would say that I’m gonna be trying to hold the first big Kirk for Senate fundraiser at a screening of The Interview, so that everybody shows the North Koreans that you cannot edit what we want to see and do in the United States, under the First Amendment." ~ Senator Mark Kirk (R-IL)

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, “I would say that I’m gonna be trying to hold the first big Kirk for Senate fundraiser at a screening of The Interview, so that everybody shows the North Koreans that you cannot edit what we want to see and do in the United States, under the First Amendment." ~ Senator Mark Kirk (R-IL)

Spite I can believe in.

gently caress, Lil' Kim the 3rd

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Oh lordy I love the Monica line how it's Hillary's fault her husband got a bj from another woman.

E: yeah that dude totally sounds like the ideas man. Give him your finest knuckle sandwich if you ever see him again and he's unchanged.

Well I mean maybe if she was a better wife and not a political scheming harpy he would have been satisfied at home and wouldn't have had to stick his cigar into an intern.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

drat, Tiffany's didn't even leave him enough money to print text on a jpeg.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Nobody could make a movie as absurd as this, our reality.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Goddamn I hate rooting for some dumb-looking movie about totally blowing up the foreign bad guys. Even more, I hate being on the side of opportunistic jackals like Newt.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Nebraska and Oklahoma have sued Colorado in the Supreme Court over CO's legalization of marijuana

quote:

In the most serious legal challenge to date against Colorado's legalization of marijuana, two neighboring states have asked the U.S. Supreme Court to strike down the history-making law.

Nebraska and Oklahoma filed the lawsuit directly with the nation's highest court on Thursday. The two states argue in the lawsuit that, "the State of Colorado has created a dangerous gap in the federal drug control system."

"Marijuana flows from this gap into neighboring states, undermining Plaintiff States' own marijuana bans, draining their treasuries, and placing stress on their criminal justice systems," the lawsuit alleges.

Colorado Attorney General John Suthers said in a statement that he will defend the state's legalization of marijuana, saying that the lawsuit is, "without merit."

"Because neighboring states have expressed concern about Colorado-grown marijuana coming into their states, we are not entirely surprised by this action," Suthers said. "However, it appears the plaintiffs' primary grievance stems from non-enforcement of federal laws regarding marijuana, as opposed to choices made by the voters of Colorado."

Colorado voters in 2012 passed Amendment 64, which legalized use and limited possession of marijuana by anyone over 21. The new law, tied for the first in the nation to widely legalize marijuana at the state level, came after more than a decade of legal use and possession of marijuana in Colorado for certain medical purposes.

Stores able to sell up to an ounce of marijuana to any adult with a Colorado I.D. — or a quarter ounce to any adult with an out-of-state I.D. — opened on Jan. 1 this year. So far, recreational marijuana stores in Colorado have made more than $300 million in sales in 2014. The lawsuit does not target Colorado's separate medical marijuana system, where registered patients must be Colorado residents.

Nebraska and Oklahoma's complaint argues that Colorado does not have authority to pass laws that conflict with the federal prohibition on marijuana. Doing so, the states claim, violates the Supremacy Clause of the U.S. Constitution.

"Colorado Amendment 64 obstructs a number of the specific goals which Congress sought to achieve," the lawsuit states.

But much of the complaint focuses on harms the two states say have come to them as a result of legal pot sales in Colorado. The lawsuit says the states have suffered increased costs from arrests, the impoundment of vehicles, the seizure of contraband, the transfer of prisoners, and other problems associated with marijuana — which is strictly illegal in the two states — flowing into Nebraska and Oklahoma. The states say the problems amount to "irreparable injury."

The lawsuit does not cite any figures to back up the claims.

News stories since Amendment 64's passage have repeatedly noted the complaints of law enforcement officers working in the two states that marijuana legalization in Colorado is straining their budgets. For instance, the police chief in Sydney, Neb., told a television station this year that half of his department's traffic stops now result in a marijuana arrest. He said the department burned through its yearly overtime budget in six months, mostly paying officers overtime to go to court to testify in marijuana prosecutions.

Another Nebraska television station reported this year that, while the state's highway patrol has not seen a jump in marijuana citations, it seized nearly twice as much suspected drug money in 2014 as in 2013. Late last year, a spokesman for Oklahoma's Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs told The Denver Post that Colorado marijuana has earned a reputation for potency in his state.

The lawsuit argues that Colorado also has done little to keep pot from leaving the state. Marijuana customers are not subject to criminal background checks and their purchases are not tracked, the lawsuit notes.

"Nebraska taxpayers have to bear the cost," Nebraska Attorney General Jon Bruning said at a news conference Thursday, in comments reported by the Omaha World-Herald. "We can't afford to divert resources to deal with Colorado's problem."

"Fundamentally," Oklahoma Attorney General Scott Pruitt said in a statement, "Oklahoma and states surrounding Colorado are being impacted by Colorado's decision to legalize and promote the commercialization of marijuana which has injured Oklahoma's ability to enforce our state's policies against marijuana."

It is unclear whether additional states will join the lawsuit against Colorado. A spokeswoman for the Kansas attorney general's office said the state is "assessing our options."

Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper earlier this year proposed hiring two analysts to track out-of-state marijuana diversion, something that ultimately wasn't funded. In an interview Thursday, Hickenlooper said he has talked with officials from Nebraska and Oklahoma about their concerns and how to address them.

"I'm not sure filing a lawsuit is the most constructive way to find a solution to whatever issues there are," he said.

Legal analysts also expressed skepticism about the lawsuit.

"Congress can't force states to criminalize marijuana," Vanderbilt law professor Robert Mikos, an expert on the intersection of federal power and state marijuana laws, wrote in a blog post. Oklahoma and Nebraska "cannot simply force Colorado join their fight," Mikos wrote.

University of Denver law professor Sam Kamin wrote in an e-mail that the lawsuit does not mount much of a challenge to Colorado's ability to legalize marijuana use or possession. Rather, it focuses only on the commercial sale and state regulation of pot — meaning, even if it is successful, it might not entirely strike down Amendment 64 but could lead marijuana stores to close.

Brian Vicente, an attorney who was one of Amendment 64's chief proponents, charged that the lawsuit is "largely without merit."

Likewise, other legalization advocates blasted the lawsuit. Mike Elliott of the Marijuana Industry Group said the lawsuit, if successful, could lead to a resurgent marijuana black market. Mason Tvert, another of Amendment 64's proponents, said Nebraska and Oklahoma are "on the wrong side of history."

"It's unfortunate the state of Nebraska is trying to dictate the laws here in Colorado," Tvert said.

But groups opposed to legalization cheered the lawsuit. Kevin Sabet, a co-founder of the national group Smart Approaches to Marijuana, said legalization of marijuana "is not implemented in a vacuum."

"Colorado's decisions regarding marijuana are not without consequences to neighboring states, and indeed all Americans," Sabet wrote in a statement.

Republicans are opposed to state's rights or ending the War on Drugs, news at 11

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
congratulations brannock

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
solution: ban sales to individuals with an Okie or Nebraskan ID

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
My favorite part of the CO legalization is still the letters-to-the-editor lady who was afraid for her childrens safety because snowboarders were going to start smoking weed.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Two conservative states are trying to dictate legislation to a neighboring state by appealing to the Supreme Court? States rights*!

* only for states we approve of.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Republicans love states rights as long as the rights are rights they agree with, this is new and exciting news because

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
states rights means states have the right to decide what types of individuals to put in their place

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Intel&Sebastian posted:

My favorite part of the CO legalization is still the letters-to-the-editor lady who was afraid for her childrens safety because snowboarders were going to start smoking weed.

"Start".

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

My Imaginary GF posted:

solution: ban sales to individuals with an Okie or Nebraskan ID

"In a 5-4 decision we find that banning the sale of items based on the state of the purchaser's residence violates the Interstate Commerce Clause of the US Constitution." And then we get a backdoor to selling health insurance across state lines. :getin:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Intel&Sebastian posted:

This is now my new standard for being old and out of touch.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Captain_Maclaine posted:

This is now my new standard for being old and out of touch.

Think of all the poor coke dealers who'll have to switch to a downmarket distributorship model once weed is legalized.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

:thejoke:

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

quote:

The lawsuit does not cite any figures to back up the claims.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ComradeCosmobot posted:

"In a 5-4 decision we find that banning the sale of items based on the state of the purchaser's residence violates the Interstate Commerce Clause of the US Constitution." And then we get a backdoor to selling health insurance across state lines. :getin:

This would also gently caress up a ton of gun laws.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Doesn't actually matter, you don't put evidence like that into a complaint. They'd have to introduce it eventually, but there's nothing even remotely strange about it not being there yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

computer parts posted:

2018 will be funny if Clinton wins because there is an above average chance that Cuba will normalize relations with the US.

This was a great call. Less than a week from this post and Cuba and the US are normalizing relations :aaa:

• Locked thread