Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Drawing 3 cards will never not be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cams
Mar 28, 2003

I am having a lot of fun playing Holiday Cube and forcing the Voltaic Key/Time Vault combo as much as I possibly can.

Got it off turn 1 last time thanks to Black Lotus.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

BizarroAzrael posted:

loving christ, I drafted an amazing Mardu deck online, win the first game quickly, have to wait 30 minutes for round 2, win the first game super quick, and the fucker just stalls me until I run out of time in game 2.

Yeah I've worried about this before -- If your opponent has his jimmies sufficiently rustled by game 1 and decides he just wants to sit there on his turn and wait out the clock, what happens? Does the game draw? Does it count a loss for the player who went to time?
I know in Hearthstone there are time limits to each turn, so if you just want to be an asshat and sit there like a pouty baby, your turn ends and your opponent can beat you anyways. What happens on MTGO?

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.
Both players essentially have a chess clock on modo. Whenever it's your priority, the clock counts down. Run out of time and you instantly lose the match. If you time out, it's nobody's fault but your own.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Dungeon Ecology posted:

Yeah I've worried about this before -- If your opponent has his jimmies sufficiently rustled by game 1 and decides he just wants to sit there on his turn and wait out the clock, what happens? Does the game draw? Does it count a loss for the player who went to time?
I know in Hearthstone there are time limits to each turn, so if you just want to be an asshat and sit there like a pouty baby, your turn ends and your opponent can beat you anyways. What happens on MTGO?

You start with 25 minutes on your clock. Whenever you have priority your clock counts down. When your clock reaches 0, you lose the match. There is no way to lose on time because of your opponent. There's little tricks you can use to take a few seconds off of your opponent's clock, but that's it.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I think you have about 5 minutes to do something? Might be more. Hate those dicks.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
You lose the match at ten minutes of inactivity, I think. Repeatedly waiting nine and a half minutes to piss your opponent off is a punishable offense though, I believe.

Victory Lap
Feb 25, 2001
Do you guys offer your opponent's any leeway for infinite combos online?

A couple iterations of the cube ago I was playing an absurdly slow opponent and with about 3 minutes left on his clock, >10 left on mine, he assembled Palinchron + Mirari's Wake + 6 lands for infinite mana (very slowly, like 20 clicks per mana generated) and Capsize to bounce all my permanents. I didn't scoop, he raged and then timed out.

Dick move or standard?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

You lose the match at ten minutes of inactivity, I think. Repeatedly waiting nine and a half minutes to piss your opponent off is a punishable offense though, I believe.

It's punished by the fact that you'll lose on time by doing that

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Victory Lap posted:

A couple iterations of the cube ago I was playing an absurdly slow opponent and with about 3 minutes left on his clock, >10 left on mine, he assembled Palinchron + Mirari's Wake + 6 lands for infinite mana (very slowly, like 20 clicks per mana generated) and Capsize to bounce all my permanents. I didn't scoop, he raged and then timed out.

Dick move or standard?

V good.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Victory Lap posted:

Dick move or standard?

I make exceptions for Twin, but yes; I scoop if I would be dead in paper. ie If they assemble Melira's/Viscera Seer/Finks, I give it to them, because even though I'm not technically dead, I can't win and they're just going to scry until they find a Redcap. If you have Force of Will or something in your deck, I could almost see not scooping because you have outs to his infinite bounce, but if you were just doing it to not lose, that's pretty lame. I've scooped to people who had MTGO crash halfway through our match and were about to time out with lethal Valakut triggers on the stack because for some stupid reason there's no "same target for all" button.

whateverfor
Jul 23, 2007
fuck you sped

Victory Lap posted:

Dick move or standard?

If clock isn't a factor I just scoop, if there's a chance they timeout I don't. Frankly 25 minutes is plenty of time to finish a match and it is your own fault if you run out regardless of how finicky your combo is.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

People clicking their infinite combo a bunch gives you more time for the other queue that you are in, just like sideboarding.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I think they changed the prize structure for Swiss vs Single Elim this cube? The breakdown actually seems skewed to the swiss events, with a winning record there getting you another free draft and first place making a 50% profit.

I seem to remember getting more points by NOT doing swiss, which was the whole motive to do those as it was a lot easier to go infinite. I could be wrong, but I just seem to remember it being a lot more of a difference.

whateverfor
Jul 23, 2007
fuck you sped
The cube payout is the same as it's been forever, Swiss always gave you more phantom points it just didn't give out boosters.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

I occasionally play familiar storm in pauper. Once you get infinite there is a loop that takes about 12 clicks to generate 1 mana, another loop to turn 2 mana and 12 clicks into drawing 2 cards, and then a third loop once you find your one of sages row denizen to mill the opponent using 12 clicks.
No one ever scoops. It's also impossible to actually play three games. The fastest I can combo off is 8 minutes. My super secret pro strat is that if I win game 1, I instantly scoop game 2. That way I at least get to be on the play.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

suicidesteve posted:

I make exceptions for Twin, but yes; I scoop if I would be dead in paper. ie If they assemble Melira's/Viscera Seer/Finks, I give it to them, because even though I'm not technically dead, I can't win and they're just going to scry until they find a Redcap. If you have Force of Will or something in your deck, I could almost see not scooping because you have outs to his infinite bounce, but if you were just doing it to not lose, that's pretty lame. I've scooped to people who had MTGO crash halfway through our match and were about to time out with lethal Valakut triggers on the stack because for some stupid reason there's no "same target for all" button.

I've had everybody scoop to Mindslaver online even without the combo.

The only people I've had make me play it out were Scapeshift and Burn. :getin:

I played out the Slaverlock in a modern tournament last night, just a casual match, nothing serious, just killing time.

Bastard made me play out his turns. As Vampires. With Doom Blades and no burn or removal that worked on Vampires. :argh:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I had a guy do a slaver lock on me in a Modern tourny online and then he asked me to scoop until I pointed out that he did it wrong and couldn't win the game.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

I'm definitely OK with people making you play out Slaverlock. You knew what you were getting into when you built it.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Angry Grimace posted:

I had a guy do a slaver lock on me in a Modern tourny online and then he asked me to scoop until I pointed out that he did it wrong and couldn't win the game.

How this sounds hilarious.

Dungeon Ecology posted:

I'm definitely OK with people making you play out Slaverlock. You knew what you were getting into when you built it.

In paper you can just demonstrate a lock I believe though. I remember reading it on some judge blog like 1000 years ago so it could be different.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Snacksmaniac posted:

In paper you can just demonstrate a lock I believe though. I remember reading it on some judge blog like 1000 years ago so it could be different.

You need to actually be able to win too. Same reason you should sometimes force people to play out their Vault/Key combo. Sometimes they still die to their Mana Crypt.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

suicidesteve posted:

You need to actually be able to win too. Same reason you should sometimes force people to play out their Vault/Key combo. Sometimes they still die to their Mana Crypt.

You win by decking them because you keep drawing Mindslaver unless there's a lock other than ruins/slaver we're talking about.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Yeah this deck turned out ok.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Snacksmaniac posted:

You win by decking them because you keep drawing Mindslaver unless there's a lock other than ruins/slaver we're talking about.

No, I'm just an idiot and forgot you're drawing the same card repeatedly.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

It's ok friend. If you're in extra turns you're screwed though!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Snacksmaniac posted:

I don't remember the board state, but he wasn't decking either me or himself.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Dec 19, 2014

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't remember the board state, but he wasn't decking either me or himself.

That seems impossible given that if he's got you in the lock you have no way of stopping him outside of Pact of Negation.

Which he'd use to counter some spell and make you lose anyway.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

That seems impossible given that if he's got you in the lock you have no way of stopping him outside of Pact of Negation.

Which he'd use to counter some spell and make you lose anyway.
I don't remember exactly what the board state was or what the problematic card was but he did in fact stop doing it. I'm pretty sure I didn't imagine the entire scenario - I can't remember exactly how, but something was causing me to not draw cards.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Holiday Cube seems pretty bad, Vedalken shackles just guarantees tedium.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

BizarroAzrael posted:

Holiday Cube seems pretty bad, Vedalken shackles just guarantees tedium.

Aint gunna stop turn 1 Sundering Titan yaaaall

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Holiday Cube owns forever. Nothing but haymakers or unplayable hands that do nothing.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

En Fuego posted:

Aint gunna stop turn 1 Sundering Titan yaaaall

Daze probably does, and this guy had it too. And Top.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Snacksmaniac posted:

Holiday Cube owns forever. Nothing but haymakers or unplayable hands that do nothing.

I cast an Isochron Scepter exiling Fire/Ice, used that to draw a couple cards before my opponent Repealed it. So I recast it exiling Memory Lapse. Loving this Cube.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I've only had one chance to draft it. I drafted a weird S+T/Tinker deck with two Eldrazi but no Blightsteel (is he still in?) I felt kind of bad for knocking off a nuts storm deck round one but I lost round two to Pattern of Rebirth/Emrakul.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Snacksmaniac posted:

I've only had one chance to draft it. I drafted a weird S+T/Tinker deck with two Eldrazi but no Blightsteel (is he still in?) I felt kind of bad for knocking off a nuts storm deck round one but I lost round two to Pattern of Rebirth/Emrakul.

Blightsteel is back. Tried to build an Eureka deck (it was really bad), and couldn't get both of em in my hand.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Haven't seen poo poo for Power in five Holiday Cube game so far :(

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Gyshall posted:

Haven't seen poo poo for Power in five Holiday Cube game so far :(

I keep getting both Time Walk and Timetwister. I've even passed on the latter a few times and had it table to the point of being a last pick once.

Got to live the dream once and Time Walked, Timetwister on my extra turn after emptying my hand, redrew Time Walk with 2 up to recast it. In my second extra turn I gambled on a Memory Jar and drew both Tezzeret and Time Vault for the lock, though I only needed two more extra turns to hard cast Emrakul.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

I saw a pearl P3P2 but that's it. Haven't seen vault yet either :(

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I see vault a lot because I think a lot of players don't understand the combo.

Evidence: I got Cliqued last night the turn I was going to go off with both pieces in hand and my opponent thought about it for a while then declined to take a card. It took me a second for the shock to wear off before I cast both cards, triggered the extra turn, and my opponent immediately scooped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
In my mess of a draft I had Vault and Tezz the Seeker, but my manabase was bad and I was bad.

I also had a Jet, which was fun, but never got to cast it.

• Locked thread