Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Lid posted:

The privatisation of QANTAS was a stupid idea then and its even worse now.
I really don't see why the government needs to own an airline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Is Joe Hockey still drooling over the possibility of selling of Qantas completely?

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

Probs after Medibanks privitisation

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It was one of the best income earners, as an airline compared to the rest of the world it was the #1 airline which fostered tourism to Australia, it for its times allowed for significant innovation in aviation through its engineering divisions, and everything since then has been managing to lose more money by constantly downsizing to be a shell of its former self in the name of competition. It was a terrible idea.

And as Anidav says do you think, if the government need not own an airline, full privatisation would be your ideal?

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Anidav posted:

Paul Keating and Kevin Rudd go hand in hand as the Labor Party's biggest Prime Ministerial fuckwits. Both of them put Me before We and both of them relied on personality politics and lost due to a negative ratfucker on the opposition benches defaming the government of the day. No amount of gotchas or jokes will save people like them and there will never be a Fightback! moment to give them a second chance like Keating got.
What is the name of your party's leader and why is it not Christine Milne?

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Why do they need to own a bank?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Anidav posted:

Paul Keating and Kevin Rudd go hand in hand as the Labor Party's biggest Prime Ministerial fuckwits. Both of them put Me before We and both of them relied on personality politics and lost due to a negative ratfucker on the opposition benches defaming the government of the day. No amount of gotchas or jokes will save people like them and there will never be a Fightback! moment to give them a second chance like Keating got.

I don't give a rats arse for Rudd but Keating did give the Redfern address, and by the time he was done, he'd actually done something constructive compared to 11 years of Howard. It's truly saying something though when you compare the last 40 years and realize the only creative PM we've had was Gough and that was born out of the frustration of watching decades of Menzies. We have to face facts, we're just a very pedestrian and complacent culture.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Yeah, the only creativity we got was politically assassinated by the CIA. Bodes well for us.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Dilkington posted:

I want to reexamine some impressions I have of Australian political culture- I wonder if any of you would mind considering these two questions:

In general, how do you feel about the Hawk/Keating governments?

Of the Prime ministers since Curtin, which do you assess most positively?

Thanks.

Most people here are too young to remember Keating or even most of Howard. So don't be surprised if it's most people here have 'nostalgic' opinions about it (for a lack of a better term).

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Historically the best Prime Minister we had was the one who decided we were a lost cause and walked into the ocean to join the underwater scholars of Atlantis.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lid posted:

And as Anidav says do you think, if the government need not own an airline, full privatisation would be your ideal?
I was under the impression it was fully privatised?

Lid posted:

It was one of the best income earners, as an airline compared to the rest of the world it was the #1 airline which fostered tourism to Australia, it for its times allowed for significant innovation in aviation through its engineering divisions, and everything since then has been managing to lose more money by constantly downsizing to be a shell of its former self in the name of competition. It was a terrible idea.
We have other avenues for those though; we don't need to own an airline to run a tourism campaign, and we can do R&D through universities and research organisations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

More PMs should follow in his example.

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

NORTH KOREA IS ONLY KOREA.

:siren: SPOTTED ON A BUS IN PERTH :siren:

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I was under the impression it was fully privatised?
The government holds 51% of shares or something I think, it's like half-half.

Queensland has you beat, mate.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Anidav posted:

Historically the best Prime Minister we had was the one who decided we were a lost cause and walked into the ocean to join the underwater scholars of Atlantis.

"All the way with LBJ"

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Doctor Spaceman posted:

NEVER SELL ASSETS THAT ARE MAKING MONEY.

Also, selling the CBA was really daft, we wouldn't keep having (good) treasurers at war with the big banks if they were owned by the government. I assume it made a shitload of money too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Anidav posted:

The government holds 51% of shares or something I think, it's like half-half.
There's a 49% cap on foreign ownership, but the rest is held by Australian investors / corporations, not the government.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Splode posted:

NEVER SELL ASSETS THAT ARE MAKING MONEY.

I agree, but would Qantas still be making money for the government now though?

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

quote:

Dozens of police have swarmed to a far north Queensland home amid reports of a multiple stabbing in Cairns.

There are up to eight victims at the Manoora property, including seven children

This is probably worse than shooting up a chocolate shop.

I wonder what the reaction will be.

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!

Adnar posted:

The reaction will be pretty bad - 8 kids confirmed dead...

God dam :(.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Adnar posted:

Came here because of this. Terrible. 7 kids, and a woman who's relation to the children isn't known. Might be some kind of domestic abuse thing.

edit: 8 kids unfortunately.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

loving hell.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark
e: ^^^^ holy poo poo

As an airline acts as a conduit for tourism and trade to the country it has much wider ramifications than making money for stakeholders. I'd argue privatising any major service provider, especially in a country that has trouble supporting more than one such service, is a bad thing. You're effectively cementing in a private monopoly, or if you can somehow legislate that away you're cementing in poor service.

Also private industry has shown they're terrible at managing high risk industries. :v:

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
Yeah but how brown is the guy and has he requested an IS flag yet? The answer to these questions will determine whether or not our nation will change forever/lose our innocence.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
Someone toss an ISIS flag up there and we can really turn this into a thing

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

As valid a point as you guys may be making, can we please not go down this road when eight children have just been murdered?

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Kim Jong ill posted:

As valid a point as you guys may be making, can we please not go down this road when eight children have just been murdered?

I don't really see an issue with it, considering all of these deaths will be forgotten in two days because there was no link to the FOTM terrorism threat.

Who knows, maybe all of Cairns will be covered in flowers as a memorial for these poor kids and the CM will run a page entitled "the moment Australia changed forever", but I'm not holding my breath.

RIP Chillun, some of us won't forget you.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Kim Jong ill posted:

Seriously, some of you need to pull your heads in.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Adnar posted:

As a Queenslander I am honestly sad to say I am expecting it to have been perpetrated an insane white guy and social media to be abuzz with comments about how stupid Queenslanders are, people dropping the opinion of White Male Privilege leading to domestic abuse and murder; and in general none of the togetherness the nation showed during and after the events in Sydney.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Sanguine posted:

As an airline acts as a conduit for tourism and trade to the country it has much wider ramifications than making money for stakeholders. I'd argue privatising any major service provider, especially in a country that has trouble supporting more than one such service, is a bad thing. You're effectively cementing in a private monopoly, or if you can somehow legislate that away you're cementing in poor service.
That's definitely an issue for the domestic market but I don't think it's as much of an issue for international flights though? QANTAS gets less than 20% of international flights currently

quote:

Also private industry has shown they're terrible at managing high risk industries. :v:
Fair point.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Sounds like the attacker was the 35yo woman in hospital.

e; christ, the youngest was 18 months

e; relevant: http://www.theonion.com/articles/gently caress-everything-nation-reports,30743/

Murodese fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 19, 2014

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Doctor Spaceman posted:

That's definitely an issue for the domestic market but I don't think it's as much of an issue for international flights though? QANTAS gets less than 20% of international flights currently

Fair point.

That needs to be emphasised. Currently is not then, nor arguably what it would be if not for privatisation.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Kim Jong ill posted:

This is a serious question, do you just want people to all post "wow this is really horrible", and then not discuss it? Or do we discuss it in a few days? There really doesn't seem to be much point in every single poster coming in and posting "Wow this is awful". It certainly is, but there really isn't much point in fifty "Jesus how horrible" posts, may as well discuss the issues that led to this incident, or the issues arising from the media coverage.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lid posted:

That needs to be emphasised. Currently is not then, nor arguably what it would be if not for privatisation.

The argument was about the risk of privatisation creating a private monopoly, and for international flights that's not (currently) the case.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Splode posted:

This is a serious question, do you just want people to all post "wow this is really horrible", and then not discuss it? Or do we discuss it in a few days? There really doesn't seem to be much point in every single poster coming in and posting "Wow this is awful". It certainly is, but there really isn't much point in fifty "Jesus how horrible" posts, may as well discuss the issues that led to this incident, or the issues arising from the media coverage.

At least it's not the US where you get the weekly gun massacre and then all the creepy gun people come out saying, "Hey now pardner, people are dead here y'all. This just isn't the time for having the gun control debate."

If you put off important things every time something horrible happens, you'll never get anything done.

Kim Jong ill
Jul 28, 2010

Splode posted:

Discussing the issues at hand can be done entirely without making quips about the attackers ethnicity or whether or not an IS flag was present.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Kim Jong ill posted:

Discussing the issues at hand can be done entirely without making quips about the attackers ethnicity or whether or not an IS flag was present.

poo poo, really? Someone needs to let the Daily Telegraph know!

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The contents of the argument would be the same. All you'd be changing is the tone.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Kim Jong ill posted:

Is this comment directed at the entirety of the Australian mainstream media

efb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
The media's reaction to and handling of tragic events such as these is a pretty important issue to discuss.

• Locked thread