Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Sperglord Firecock posted:

There's a switch next to that AC switch.

It leads to the main fan-shaped thing in front of my engine. The fan is not covered in a shroud.
:psypop:

I know there is no shroud there as I've been saying from the beginning of your thread, but is there a fan in the right spot period?

The fan is supposed to be behind the radiator, right in front of the engine like the ^^ photos previously showed, which I began to doubt hence my earlier edit.

If not, as I suspect there isn't, the previous owner was a god drat hack and no wonder you're having heating issues. Hopefully nothing serious has happened.

Get a fan and clutch, even a non-turbo should be fine, and put it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

DefaultPeanut posted:

I'm going to go with: there is no mechanical driven fan at all.

Here is a picture of one with the mechanical fan, sans shroud.
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/850/1961/2123480025_large.jpg
It looks like the clutch should be driven by the pulley that we can see just peeking up in this picture:

I kind of doubt the entire fan is hiding behind the top radiator brace due to perspective.
http://www.xenonz31.com/Images/Clutchfan/Coolingfanfull.png
Your engine seems to be missing the fan clutch too, as we should be able to see it mounted to the water pump pulley in your engine bay picture.

Hit up a wrecker and find a fan shroud, fan clutch and fan. Or be prepared to cook your engine. The AC fan won't pull (or push, depending) enough air to keep your engine adequately cool.

Hold on, I'm gonna take a picture tomorrow. This isn't an AC Fan, it's an electrically-driven two-fan set up right ontop of the radiator.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Behind (IE: motor side) of the radiator or the front? The front is the OEM spot for the AC condenser fan and won't give nearly enough air movement for the radiator.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Alternately, the PO replaced the mechanical fan with an electric one for "reasons". I'd figure it out and pull it asap.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Dec 19, 2014

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
Motor side of the radiator. Like I said, when the fan is on, it never gets above 180 degrees.

Not the OP, the PO.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

OK, so no mechanical fan at all then.

Solution: Get the old fan/clutch from the PO or buy from a wrecker. The PO was obviously concerned about parasitic drag from a loving 30 year old VG30ET and decided electric is the way to go for which he should be shot.

You still need to confirm that air is purged from the cooling system even though the fan is almost certainly the problem.

You could look at wiring a thermo switch for the fans but no offense, that seems beyond your present skill set. The fan hub is literally 4-6 bolts and I'm hopeful you could do that.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Edit:

Turns out it's a Datsun 310. There is no 300X.
How in the gently caress could you confuse a 310 with a 300ZX other than the numeral "3"?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
OK. So. The Datsun 310 is the one with the broken heater? When I said I was worried that you thought a wiring problem caused the heater to not work "in the Z" I guess I was talking about that, because I missed your edit where you said it was not a "300X" which I guess I assumed you meant 300ZX. Which didn't exist in 1980 so that should have been my clue, but like I said I don't really know these cars.

Sorry for the massive derail about heaters that this thread suffered because of my poor reading comprehension.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It's not so much poor comprehension, this thread is all over the place. His Z31 has heating issues, the mystical 300X is a potential beater while he gets his pussy wagon in shape.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Pics of the fans.

More times than not the lovely dual ebay setups suck less than a good working mechanical.

It takes some serious loving work to get better performance from an electric vs mechanical with "universal" ones.

If its no volvoid fan, or mkIII, its probably a piece of poo poo.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

slidebite posted:

It's not so much poor comprehension, this thread is all over the place. His Z31 has heating issues, the mystical 300X is a potential beater while he gets his pussy wagon in shape.

Yeah I'm aware of the cooling issues thie Z31 has, I just mis-interpreted him and thought that the heater not working was another one of them. Turns out that's the other car.

I'd be really worried about how long it was driven with the belt thrown; I can't imagine driving a turbo car with zero water circulation is a good idea.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

If I understand it right, the 300ZX hopefully hasn't had a belt thrown, it just has no mechanical fan which is a stupid move from the PO.

Dude just needs to do a little bit of elbow grease, getting parts and research, of which there is plenty of help right here, to get his ride going.

It's not tough, he just needs to take the time to comprehend what is needed and do it.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

slidebite posted:

If I understand it right, the 300ZX hopefully hasn't had a belt thrown, it just has no mechanical fan which is a stupid move from the PO.

Dude just needs to do a little bit of elbow grease, getting parts and research, of which there is plenty of help right here, to get his ride going.

It's not tough, he just needs to take the time to comprehend what is needed and do it.

It has. Remember when he took it to the mechanic because the battery died? It's because it threw the belt.

Nope.

I forgot the switch existed.

The reason the battery "mysteriously died" was because the alternator belt actually mysteriously vanished. Don't ask me how. Then the battery died.

The heater actually works on the 300ZX. Pushes out a nice amount of heat into the cabin, although the face-level vents don't push anything out, which makes me kinda sad.

It gets pretty toasty in the cabin, though.

I'm going to see what I can do, but I am bad at this, and this is entirely a giant massive learning experience. :<

I'm just worried because I expect the water pump is on the same belt as the alternator.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Everyone stop loving sperging and take some time to read.

1) the car doesn't overheat
1a) it has twin eBay fans activated by a switch
2) the car does in fact have a working heater
3) the car overheated once due to flinging an alt belt
4) the car may or may not have a parasitic battery drain

OP, ask for this for Christmas:
http://m.harborfreight.com/professional-301-piece-mechanics-tool-kit-45951.html
(It's $150 with a coupon currently)

mafoose fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 19, 2014

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 222 days!)

That is a pretty lovely set, even being Harbor Freight. It has virtually no usable wrenches, and they added a ton of their $5 for twice-as-many-as-here screwdrivers. OP would probably do better picking up the sockets, wrenches, and pliers separately.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

SF please take a bunch of pictures of the engine bay for us, from every angle and point of view. Its so frustrating that you havent done that yet. We can help you.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Fart Pipe posted:

SF please take a bunch of pictures of the engine bay for us, from every angle and point of view. Its so frustrating that you havent done that yet. We can help you.

I'm gonna get it tomorrow when it's light outside.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Make sure your camera isn't overheating and the battery posts aren't too weak for it to turn on. :ohdear:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Viggen posted:

Make sure your camera isn't overheating and the battery posts aren't too weak for it to turn on. :ohdear:

:golfclap:

sometimes you're ok, Vigge.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Viggen posted:

Okay, that was pretty funny, I'll take that.

:golfclap:

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Viggen posted:

That is a pretty lovely set, even being Harbor Freight. It has virtually no usable wrenches, and they added a ton of their $5 for twice-as-many-as-here screwdrivers. OP would probably do better picking up the sockets, wrenches, and pliers separately.

You buy the cheap wrenches separately (and don't get the polished ones, get the metric ones that go from 8mm to 32ish).
This was my junkyard set for years, I've pulled many engines, transmissions, etc with it throughout the years. For someone with no tools this is a great starter set. Plus these screw drivers are their snap on knock offs. I've only broken one of them compared to countless ones of the others they sell.

This set has enough random tools in it that it doesn't matter if he's working on a Datsun, Chevy, or VW, it'll have almost everything needed, regardless of vintage.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Can I post my Z32 here?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

TescoBag posted:

Can I post my Z32 here?

Depends, was it a bad choice?

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Raluek posted:

Depends, was it a bad choice?

Nobody will ever convince me it was!

Had a new engine last Christmas though :(

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

TescoBag posted:

Nobody will ever convince me it was!

Had a new engine last Christmas though :(

I'm not sure it would fit in with this thread if you have actually made some good choices on the car, but I'll allow the OP to decide either way!

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

TescoBag posted:

Can I post my Z32 here?

My uncle has two of those, a red and a black. They were bad choices because they're both automatic non-turbo cars. :(

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

CornHolio posted:

My uncle has two of those, a red and a black. They were bad choices because they're both automatic non-turbo cars. :(

Still great to drive!

Mine is a manual turbo and they're becoming hard to find in the UK these days. :(

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

TescoBag posted:

Still great to drive!

Mine is a manual turbo and they're becoming hard to find in the UK these days. :(

I didn't know they made turbo'd 2+2'd ones, or did we just not get them stateside?

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

CornHolio posted:

Weren't those cars just really really sluggish without a turbo?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

It depends on what you mean by "sluggish." I mean, it's basically a RWD Maxima. Not slow, not sports-car-quick, quick enough for most though.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Korwen posted:

I didn't know they made turbo'd 2+2'd ones, or did we just not get them stateside?

Possibly just didn't get them stateside! Mine is an import however.

I dunno they're relatively nippy!

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

One of my buddies a long time ago had a NA one. It wasn't what I would call sluggish, but for an enthusiast it didn't make any sense. It was almost as tough to work on as a turbo (seriously cramped engine bay) and the gains from modding it were very minimal. Kind of like modding a V6 Mustang, if you're wanting a really fast car you're just better off buying the superior platform first.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Korwen posted:

One of my buddies a long time ago had a NA one. It wasn't what I would call sluggish, but for an enthusiast it didn't make any sense. It was almost as tough to work on as a turbo (seriously cramped engine bay) and the gains from modding it were very minimal. Kind of like modding a V6 Mustang, if you're wanting a really fast car you're just better off buying the superior platform first.

Very much this. They're great cars but if you get the turbo version there is so much you can do to increase the power easily. It doesn't make sense to get the NA version.

I dropped a new clutch, ECU, injectors and a boost controller in mine and it's up to 400hp. ezpz

edit: Forgot I added a new air filter too!

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

Imma jus' leave this here..

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

IIRC a stock NA Z32 put out more HP/torque than a stock Turbo Z31.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

slidebite posted:

Huh. Welp.

I still think the first gen looks much better than the second gen.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

cursedshitbox posted:

More times than not the lovely dual ebay setups suck less than a good working mechanical.

I'm assuming you mean "suck" as in airflow rather than a statement of quality, C/D?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

slidebite posted:

they are a bit heavier though

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
Since you say your job in the Navy was electrical systems then I have to ask, did you leave voluntarily or did they kick you out?

Maybe you can install this and not have to flip a radio shack switch on and off?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hda-3652

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Vitamin J posted:

Since you say your job in the Navy was electrical systems then I have to ask, did you leave voluntarily or did they kick you out?

Maybe you can install this and not have to flip a radio shack switch on and off?
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hda-3652

I left voluntarily. TBH, I struck into the rate on a 100% advancement rate as an undesignated Fireman because I didn't really want to work in the 140 degree engine room anymore. I knew next to nothing about electrical systems, and they pretty much made no effort to teach me, instead sending me to do, well, bitchwork.

• Locked thread