Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
I accepted a lucrative contract to put a satellite in orbit of Minmus came up before I had completed the "Explore Mun" one. After finishing Mun, but not doing the Minmus satellite, I was not offered an "Explore Minmus" contract. Is this a bug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Palicgofueniczekt posted:

I accepted a lucrative contract to put a satellite in orbit of Minmus came up before I had completed the "Explore Mun" one. After finishing Mun, but not doing the Minmus satellite, I was not offered an "Explore Minmus" contract. Is this a bug?

Nope. You leapfrogged it. Same thing happens if you overengineer and hit orbit before doing the progressive altitude records.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
But I didn't enter Minmus SoI.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Can I use CKAN to install the Deadly Re-Entry mod? I've been wanting something to spice things up when I enter Kerbin's atmosphere at 2 km/s.

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

No, satellite contracts prefer bodies that you have orbited in the lower difficulties, but higher difficulties can sneak in a few that you haven't. (They are still weighted towards ones you have, though.)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

:negative: I swear this version of the game hates me, maybe I should have waited for 0.90.1

I can't switch between ships on the map in this version. This is really aggravating, but I remember reading somewhere that if I double click a shitload on the ship I want to switch to, sometimes it'll work! So I tried that.

Immediately, everything goes to poo poo. There are now two toolbars. Chunks of the map are missing. My ship doesn't show up, and its trajectory shows up as a dot hovering above the lunar surface with the Ap and Pe markers on top of each other. I can open the menu but none of the buttons do anything. I alt-F4.

Start the game back up and all of my contracts are gone. All of my completed ones, and all of my pending ones, including non-randomly-generated ones like Explore Minmus that I have an irrational desire to keep in the list.

I think I need to either start keeping persistent.sfs under version control, or turn quicksave/quickload back on and just only use it when the game fucks up spectacularly, because this is getting ridiculous.

Arsonide posted:

I'd considered that, but in a contract with five waypoints, that would fill up a lot of valuable real estate in that tiny contract app.

Realistically, the stock contract window is completely, 100% useless and can't even show the entirety of most stock contracts. Everyone is already well used to either scrolling it up and down constantly or using Contracts Window + anyways.

HonorableTB posted:

Can I use CKAN to install the Deadly Re-Entry mod? I've been wanting something to spice things up when I enter Kerbin's atmosphere at 2 km/s.

Try it and see?

Yes. Other "hardmode" mods like TAC Life Support and RemoteTech are in the database and will become available as they update to 0.90, too.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 19, 2014

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

ToxicFrog posted:

Realistically, the stock contract window is completely, 100% useless and can't even show the entirety of most stock contracts. Everyone is already well used to either scrolling it up and down constantly or using Contracts Window + anyways.

You can expand the length of the window. I wish it was wider, but it's certainly not useless.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

ToxicFrog posted:

There needs to be an option to pin only the contracts you're working on to the screen from a separate list of all your contracts. Think the quest HUD in most MMORPGs (does WoW still have this?).

Also, I'm wondering if there are ways to activate parts like antenna without clicking on them. Really having a consolidated menu with the various ship toggles would be great.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Sokani posted:

You can expand the length of the window. I wish it was wider, but it's certainly not useless.

:aaaaa:

ryde posted:

There needs to be an option to pin only the contracts you're working on to the screen from a separate list of all your contracts. Think the quest HUD in most MMORPGs (does WoW still have this?).

Also, I'm wondering if there are ways to activate parts like antenna without clicking on them. Really having a consolidated menu with the various ship toggles would be great.

You can assign them to action groups.

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE
I just took a lander to Minmus and fulfilled two visual survey missions, two temperature data missions, and a science data mission. Landed with 23 contract notifications and 1.2 million kesos. It felt pretty good. Got over the level 2 R&D hump and immediately grabbed about 12 different techs since I had 2000 science saved up.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
Hey Max, any idea when your team will get the interior of the Mk1 inline cockpit redone? It's my favorite one to use but with no windows or screens inside you can't really do the in-cockpit stuff.

Related note, any word on doing something alone the lines of RasterPropMonitor officially? Love that stuff.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Or go crazy and make it like an F-35 helmet.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

OAquinas posted:

Nope. You leapfrogged it. Same thing happens if you overengineer and hit orbit before doing the progressive altitude records.

God drat it. I got the first altitude one then went right to orbit. I needed that cash too.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I think my biggest in game request would be a maneuver node editor that doesn't feel like punching myself in the dick when doing orbital transfer planning without having to use MechJeb or another node editing mod.

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
My "Explore Minmus" contract finally appeared. Apparently there are Minmus deniers out there that I need to quash.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Or go crazy and make it like an F-35 helmet.

what, sitting in a closet or staring straight at the ground?

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
My SAS is going crazy, should I chalk this up to a mod going crazy or what? I've verified the game files, also started a new game and it still does it.

Also coincidentally discovered that doing an EVA will crash the game. I think something is seriously broken.

Flatten and reinstall from scratch?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

ToxicFrog posted:

You can assign them to action groups.

Once you do the building upgrade that allows action groups ;) I spent a good few minutes going over the VAB screen trying to find where the AG editor had moved to till it dawned on me that it was also something you had to buy.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
Whoever recommended the settings.cfg fix for improving framerate on/near Kerbin, holy poo poo I love you. I went from ~2-4fps to just about 30! Even the regular campus screen got a huge boost so now I can actually pan around and rotate to see the tiny buildings.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/43253-Default-Terrain-Quality-Without-most-of-The-Lag%21

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So when I get a satellite Orbit contract offer like this:

Do I have to replicate that inclination and its orientation? Its inclined 30 degrees or so. Can I launch this satellite and have it inclined 30 degrees, but say "clockwise a quarter turn" of that one and it still counts? Or do I have to match that orientation too (meaning launch when KSC is under the orbital path or conduct an inclination change in orbit when crossing the path).

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
So here's a reentry tip for people who use both Deadly Reentry and FAR that I just discovered a few weeks ago.

I knew FAR makes tweaks to lift and angle of attack's effect thereon, but one neat thing that I didn't know until recently is that it (and presumably also NEAR) properly models the changes even on just a lone pod plus heat shield, which is extremely useful. With SAS set to hold it at s-vel retrograde +25° pitch like the Apollo CMs, I can easily dip my periapsis several kilometres further into Kerbin's atmosphere on a return mission from the Mun than I can with it pointing perfectly retrograde.

As an example, I keep my heat and shockwave settings bumped up a bit for an extra bit of difficulty, and when pointing just retrograde, I need to aim for about 30.5 km; much lower and bad poo poo happens, much higher and I scoot right back out of the atmosphere. But when returning from the exact same altitude, adding some pitch on reentry enables me to come in at around 25-26 km, and with lower peak temperature, too, while even 28-29 km will have me skipping back out.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Been a succesful two nights of Kerbaling for me. Finally getting planetary transfers down thanks to Illectro. Did duna with a probe lander last night. Today was a more ambitious trip to Eve. Still probe only, but I had a six mini probes clustered around a 7th one. One goo container, materials bay, temp, and barometer each. Worked wonders. the second chute was totally overkill but I had no idea how much the gravity was going to counteract the pea soup of Eve. not a total waste, can use them to cut horizontal speed with the first, then land with the second.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So when I get a satellite Orbit contract offer like this:

Do I have to replicate that inclination and its orientation? Its inclined 30 degrees or so. Can I launch this satellite and have it inclined 30 degrees, but say "clockwise a quarter turn" of that one and it still counts? Or do I have to match that orientation too (meaning launch when KSC is under the orbital path or conduct an inclination change in orbit when crossing the path).

You can match all of the parameters of that orbit regardless of when you launch. Burn radially/anti-radially to get your apoapsis and periapsis lined up, then match inclination. It takes a bit more fuel, of course, but saves you from having to be too careful with launch windows.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
So I just started playing again after not playing since before Contracts were a thing. I'm having issues getting the game to recognize the first couple contracts as completed. Like I'll shoot up over 5000m and it'll check off on the little app, but when I get back down and recover the craft, it winds up reverting somehow. Probably not the world's biggest hassle since I can "cheat" it completed (and I'll probably restart once more mods get updated) but does anyone know what causes it?

Also, which mods force a restart? Like obviously if I add in RemoteTech later I'll need to not have satellites in orbit, but are there any mods that I'd have to completely restart the campaign to use?

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
We're currently planning a rebuild of Kerbalizer to help with better integration ingame. Can't really share details but we're planning a long overdue diversification of a certain set of ingame models for 1.0 and a Kerbalizer revamp fits that very well.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Found my VAB problem.
If you ever find yourself unable to load or save ships in the AB/SPH, but building and launching directly still works, you probably have a corrupt .craft file in your save. Once you take it out you should be able to save/load your ships normally.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Found out that running KSP outside Steam results in a huge performance increase. Not sure whether to blame KSP 0.90, Steam, or the 14.12 GPU drivers, but performance is now better than it was in 0.25 and I'm able to turn everything back to maximum again. :toot:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

You have to exactly* match the orbit, including the LAN -- the "same" orbit rotated around the primary doesn't count.

* Within the limits of the contract, some of them let you be pretty sloppy.

Maxmaps posted:

We're currently planning a rebuild of Kerbalizer to help with better integration ingame. Can't really share details but we're planning a long overdue diversification of a certain set of ingame models for 1.0 and a Kerbalizer revamp fits that very well.

Is this for 1.0 as in "it's not planned until 1.0" or as in "this is something that will be implemented in the 0.9x series leading up to 1.0"?

Also, please, please, please let us pay unlock costs from the VAB in 0.91, it's really irritating having to switch back and forth between the VAB and the research building half a dozen times when building a rocket.

Moly B. Denum
Oct 26, 2007

ToxicFrog posted:

Also, please, please, please let us pay unlock costs from the VAB in 0.91, it's really irritating having to switch back and forth between the VAB and the research building half a dozen times when building a rocket.

If you right click on the part in the VAB, there should be a button to buy the unlock at the bottom of the info window.

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.

ToxicFrog posted:

Is this for 1.0 as in "it's not planned until 1.0" or as in "this is something that will be implemented in the 0.9x series leading up to 1.0"?

It's basically supposed to happen asap.

Madox
Oct 25, 2004
Recedite, plebes!

ToxicFrog posted:

I pay unlock costs in VAB all the time. RIght click the part and the info window should stick and not move/disappear, then the pay button is clickable. Is this what you mean?

Madox fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Dec 19, 2014

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I'm pretty sure I don't know the meaning of the word overkill. 7500 thrust on a single orange tank. That thing goes off like a bat out of hell. When I just had a single tank instead of two I was at 8300M in 19 seconds. The new offset system is wonderful.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Alaan posted:

I'm pretty sure I don't know the meaning of the word overkill. 7500 thrust on a single orange tank. That thing goes off like a bat out of hell. When I just had a single tank instead of two I was at 8300M in 19 seconds. The new offset system is wonderful.

Install FAR and that thing will really cook :jeb::respek::getin:

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I didn't think this was such an extreme maneuver, but jeb is freaking out.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

They're disgusted by your flagrant abuse of procedural fairings :colbert:

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Spookydonut posted:

I didn't think this was such an extreme maneuver, but jeb is freaking out.

What? How? Jeb can't freak out, he is hardcoded not to. WHAT DID YOU DO??

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I got my first free kerbal contract, built a rather dodgy rescue ship and sent it off. Having upgraded the monitoring, I actually had maneuver nodes so getting a close rendezvous only took two corrections once in orbit. Then I switched over the the kerbal at 2km and used his pack to get over to the rapidly disappearing rescue pod. Grab some EVA reports (unfortunately going EVA kicks the kerbal and the pod into a spin still in this version) while going round to land close to KSC and we're done.

The lack of SAS is the worst though and I assume it's in the latter parts of the tech tree since I can't see it in the R&D under 100 bit. Adding mods is also a 2 edged sword now since you have to pay for all those new pieces to play with. I'm finding myself being very selective at first and adding parts from the VAB if I actually need them.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

Splode posted:

What? How? Jeb can't freak out, he is hardcoded not to. WHAT DID YOU DO??

Nah, he can sometimes. I'm not sure what causes it.

I loved when we first got IVAs and it turned out Jeb couldn't see anything.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Nah, he can sometimes. I'm not sure what causes it.

I loved when we first got IVAs and it turned out Jeb couldn't see anything.

Explosions often frighten him.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison

Ratzap posted:

The lack of SAS is the worst though and I assume it's in the latter parts of the tech tree since I can't see it in the R&D under 100 bit.

Pilot kerbals grant SAS and the 90 science control node has a probe core that grants SAS. I just unlocked the control node to mount a rescue mission for a pilot stranded around minmus, because gently caress flying anywhere with the stayputnik. Doing anything without SAS is a huge pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

Ratzap posted:

I got my first free kerbal contract, built a rather dodgy rescue ship and sent it off. Having upgraded the monitoring, I actually had maneuver nodes so getting a close rendezvous only took two corrections once in orbit. Then I switched over the the kerbal at 2km and used his pack to get over to the rapidly disappearing rescue pod. Grab some EVA reports (unfortunately going EVA kicks the kerbal and the pod into a spin still in this version) while going round to land close to KSC and we're done.

The lack of SAS is the worst though and I assume it's in the latter parts of the tech tree since I can't see it in the R&D under 100 bit. Adding mods is also a 2 edged sword now since you have to pay for all those new pieces to play with. I'm finding myself being very selective at first and adding parts from the VAB if I actually need them.
SAS is based on which probe you use, not any building upgrades. The first probe core with stability assist is the OKTO. If you'd been lucky, the stranded Kerbal would have been a pilot and that would provide it too.