Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theadder
Dec 30, 2011

mlyp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Sagebrush posted:

just imagine the existential question posed by working in a facility with a turbine with molten sodium flowing through it at 2000 degrees and twice the speed of sound

:stonklol:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
is that really any worse than working in a building that houses star-hot plasma contained only by the grace of an electrically generated magnetic field?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

well the total amount of star-hot plasma in the system at any given time is only a couple of grams, and if it did breach containment you'd just get a big flash of light and then nothing.

i'd rather be in the room with the tokamak than the room with several tonnes of molten metal loaded with all that kinetic and thermal energy

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
that plasma just seems so ethereal whereas i know (relatively) what a mass of molten sodium looks and would probably feel like

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

total number of people killed by manmade fusion: i dunno maybe like 1 or 2 from h-bomb related cancers
total number of people killed by molten metal in steel mills alone: uh, like tens of thousands

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE
if we're talking about actual danger you're at more risk on the drive there

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Sagebrush posted:

im not really sure what people are taking offense with in my post?? i didn't say that sewage wasn't a big deal, just that understanding "germs are what cause disease" is probably even more important because it leads to "ok keep germy sewage away from people" and also dozens of other conclusions that improve public health

we made the connection of "poop water = disease" a hell of a lot longer ago than germ theory, we just don't always have a good way of getting non poop water. we've found Stone Age ruins with toilets that drain into rivers and freshwater wells from 8000 years ago. the drat Mayans basically invented stone water filters.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
this is a surprisingly stupid middle school argument

really, the critical failure modes for either are basically instantly fatal. thanks to our unending hubris i'm sure many people will get to enjoy one or the other

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

we made the connection of "poop water = disease" a hell of a lot longer ago than germ theory, we just don't always have a good way of getting non poop water. we've found Stone Age ruins with toilets that drain into rivers and freshwater wells from 8000 years ago. the drat Mayans basically invented stone water filters.

what we really need is for some enterprising young buck to disrupt the water filtration market

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
there's one thing that has a 100% mortality rate

it's being born.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

infernal machines posted:

what we really need is for some enterprising young buck to disrupt the water filtration market

but how will you do any of the regular startup activities from that?
- collecting user metadata
- collecting contact lists
- target advertising
- increased "engagement"
- make lots of money from venture capital
- buy herman miller aeron chairs
- have a ball pit in the office

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

three words: internet of things

as long as your water filtration system is maximally invasive and tweets/instgrams/logs and uploads everything that passes through it there's plenty of data for target hungry advertisers

plus you can gamify water consumption! now with facebook integration

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
so we've arrived back at this then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJklHwoYgBQ

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Nintendo Kid posted:

also because it was already scheduled to have the two oldest reactors fully replaced in 2013 and 2014 respectively

yes, and if tepco weren't a bunch of shitlords who falsify data to regulators and ignore their engineers' safety concerns those reactors might have actually survived until then

where's that simcity 2000 guy when you need him

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

three words: internet of things

as long as your water filtration system is maximally invasive and tweets/instgrams/logs and uploads everything that passes through it there's plenty of data for target hungry advertisers

plus you can gamify water consumption! now with facebook integration

wasn't there a goon who was working with a charity installing networked water pumps in African villages so they could track when they break down

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

wasn't there a goon who was working with a charity installing networked water pumps in African villages so they could track when they break down

that sounds familiar, but really that's the easy part. from there you want to apply "surge" pricing to your other pumps in the region, and give your water vending partners a heads up too.

maybe push out an automated sms blast with "feeling thirsty? try Dasani™".

don't forget about your "safe drinking" fees for potable water sources

monetization is key

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

maybe push out an automated sms blast with "feeling thirsty? try Dasani™".

in that part of the world it's Nestlé, and people already have quite a bit of experience with them

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Wild EEPROM posted:

there's one thing that has a 100% mortality rate

it's being born.

um actually I think you'll find elijah and enoch never died, don't you even read your bible?

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

FMguru posted:

the greatest living american (jimmy carter) has almost singlehandedly eliminated hookworm's cousin (guinea worm) in africa

in 30 years it went from infecting 3.5 million people a year to 138

good work jimmy

:unsmith:

i didn't know about this, thank you for the information :)

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Soricidus posted:

um actually I think you'll find elijah and enoch never died, don't you even read your bible?

other things biblical scholars don't get: margin of error

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Condiv posted:

stymie's never right

don't quote or compliment anime dog tits

Stymie has actually never been wrong about anything as far as I remember.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Citizen Tayne posted:

Stymie has actually never been wrong about anything as far as I remember.

i've always said that stymie is right, but in the wrong way or for the wrong reasons

but lately he's just been plain right. it's eerie.

Apr 7, 2003

Nintendo Kid posted:

also because it was already scheduled to have the two oldest reactors fully replaced in 2013 and 2014 respectively

The first nuclear power plant in the world was right outside Pittsburgh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shippingport_Atomic_Power_Station

We also made all the reactors for Navy nukes at Bettis Laboratories.

Apr 7, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

i've always said that stymie is right, but in the wrong way or for the wrong reasons

but lately he's just been plain right. it's eerie.

Stay safe, Stymie. Being right all the time is a burden I know all too ell.

Apr 7, 2003

Citizen Tayne posted:

The first nuclear power plant in the world was right outside Pittsburgh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shippingport_Atomic_Power_Station

We also made all the reactors for Navy nukes at Bettis Laboratories.

Its final core was an experimental, light water moderated, thermal breeder reactor and is notable for its ability to transmute (inexpensive) thorium to uranium-233 (the latter being the fissile material that fueled the reaction within the reactor core).[4] The reactor was capable of an output of 60 MWe.

hahahhaha

That plant still has two active reactors but they're PWRs.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

pointers posted:

CANDU attitude

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I'm more amazed by the fact that any mechanical thing can rotate a metal shaft with 1 gigawatt of power

I'm guessing a gigawatt nuclear plant has multiple turbine+generator pairs or something

how the hell does that even work, like how do the turbine blades not get blasted off their welds? that's some serious loving torque, what with an entire Manhattan's worth of electrical load pushing back on the generator

Apr 7, 2003

Mr Dog posted:

I'm more amazed by the fact that any mechanical thing can rotate a metal shaft with 1 gigawatt of power

I'm guessing a gigawatt nuclear plant has multiple turbine+generator pairs or something

how the hell does that even work, like how do the turbine blades not get blasted off their welds? that's some serious loving torque, what with an entire Manhattan's worth of electrical load pushing back on the generator

lol

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

i mean sure each reactor needs like a billion dollars' worth of heavy water but lol if your country doesn't have tens of thousands of deep lakes with lots of the stuff hanging around at the bottom
we put billions into dumb unoccupied condos we can throw an extra billion at reasonable power

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Mr Dog posted:

the largest power plant in the country, palo verde, can do over a gigawatt per generator http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palo_Verde_Nuclear_Generating_Station

so it's possible somehow lol

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Mr Dog posted:

I'mma guess the blades and rotors are milled out of solid blocks of titanium or whatever rather than welded together

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

omg
omg
MODS!?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?

Apr 7, 2003

Munkeymon posted:

I'mma guess the blades and rotors are milled out of solid blocks of titanium or whatever rather than welded together

Those rotors certainly aren't old.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Citizen Tayne posted:

Those rotors certainly aren't old.

or unbalanced

I read about some technique for building turbine blades where they basically start with a little crystal of metal and grow the entire blade via some type of deposition so it's as close to perfect as we can get

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

so someone mentioned agricultural land restoration projects and yes yes yes
1) biochar. gently caress yes biochar. increases cation exchange capacity, water retention, has a shitload of carbon so throw a lil nitrogen on that bitch and u got urself some beneficial microbes going. do a biochar
2) loving great green wall bitches. basically acacia trees have real deep roots AND they fix nitrogen?!?! holy mother of gently caress these things are awesome already. but then THEN they totally LOSE THEIR LEAVES AT A TIME WHEN AGRICULTURAL CROPS ARE IN ACTIVE GROWTH. so u can plant MUTHAFUCKING CROPS under these trees and they wont gently caress with the root system, get fuckin NATURALLY FERTILIZED and can still get sun and poo poo?!!? plus ur CREATING MUTHAFUCKING JOBS AND DISTRUPTING THE AGRICULTURAL ECONOMY b/c u gotta harvest those bitches between trees and aint no loving big-agri mass producution machines doin' that poo poo.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Green_Wall
3) and gently caress this documentary is awesome even if it gets all preachy at the end http://www.symphonyofthesoil.com/

loving soil (it is not dirt IT IS NOT DIRT) bitches, keeping things alive

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

FMguru posted:

the greatest living american (jimmy carter) has almost singlehandedly eliminated hookworm's cousin (guinea worm) in africa

in 30 years it went from infecting 3.5 million people a year to 138

good work jimmy

:unsmith:

hookworm has re-appeared in the american south

reminder: hookworm is a disease you get from walking barefoot through human feces

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Sagebrush posted:

it's more amazing to me that a modern gas turbine-generator set can turn better than 60% of the heat energy in the steam into electrical power, entirely mechanically

gas turbines don't use water, except in combined-cycle (brayton + rankine) systems that use waste heat from the gas turbine to generate steam . the ideal brayton cycle has a thermodynamic efficiency around 45% and the ideal rankine cycle is under 40%. These can both be increased with various funky arrangements (multistage systems and combined cycles) but neither is going to hit 60% solo, and that's before considering the mechanical -> electrical conversion (which is pretty drat efficient but not perfect). from what I can tell, real-world fuel to electricity numbers for the combined cycle are in the 50% range.

Sagebrush posted:

just imagine the existential question posed by working in a facility with a turbine with molten sodium flowing through it at 2000 degrees and twice the speed of sound

"what kind of bad sci-fi book am I in?"

sodium-cooled reactors don't use sodium as a working fluid (which is insane), but as a coolant and heat transfer medium. from what I can gather sodium velocities are on the order of 10 m/s.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

reminder: hookworm is a disease you get from walking barefoot through human feces

people are apparently infecting themselves with it now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

comprehensively solving public health problems in the remotest, least developed parts of sub-saharan africa is easier than teaching southerners not to stand around barefoot in their own poo poo

• Locked thread