Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Ah gently caress, I'm a pretty big fan of GTA V (Like IV did, it has grown on me over time) but it shatters my balls that it's so easy to lose, permanently, purchased cars and poo poo. I bought a baller (not Balla, gently caress those bustas) car with the first heist's pay as Franklin, tricked the whip out crazy good, spent about $300,000 all told, and promptly had to use another car in some mission I drove to. My ride then disappeared. It never showed up again, not after the mission, not in my garage, outside my house, or in the impound lot.

Is it so loving hard to have stuff you actually buy automatically return to your garage if you lose or destroy them? Hell, charge a fee for it, but other games have had this figured out years ago. What's the point in buying the car if you can't use them whenever you're doing anything because it'll get deleted from reality or some poo poo?

Ms Adequate has a new favorite as of 19:54 on Dec 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

The Colonel posted:

Xenogears is a really loving good JRPG, which is a genre of games I usually have a bit of trouble getting into. It's probably my favorite, I really dig the story, insane as it can get. But Disc 2 is kind of lovely. In a JRPG where I actually enjoy the gameplay, I would have liked there to be more of that in the last ten hours of the game rather than long plot summarizations and cutscenes. On one hand, they couldn't really do anything about it for budget reasons, but on the other hand, goddammit man learn how to manage your budgets.

The reason I often hear why Disc 2 was such a mess is because Xenogears was being developed alongside Final Fantasy 8, and Square transferred staff and resources to FF8.

The biggest travesty is that some of the Xenogears staff made their own studio (Monolith Soft) and released the Xenosaga games, got bought by Nintendo and SE has been sitting on the Xenogears name for no goddamn reason so we'll never have that sweet sweeping six game mech game epic.

(I should pick up Xenoblade since I heard it's good and I like giant robots).

PS The Tower of Babel's platforming drags Xenogears down.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

The part where they had to just give you the story in text without you playing it at all bummed me out so bad. I just killed the game for me. That, and having to play as Lynx in Chrono Cross were my most disappointing Playstation 1 moments. I did get over that Lynx thing eventually. It's not so bad when you see it coming.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

swamp waste posted:

I don't know man, Xenogears is already twice as long as any other RPG from that era and insanely huge chunks of it are devoted to stuff that is not interesting or relevant to the story. This is a game with multiple hours of sewer levels, in which the antagonist (God, from the Bible) is introduced at roughly the 40 hour mark. I don't think this game was ever going to be finished until someone from corporate turned off the money faucet.

Your enemy, God (you may know him from such literature as The Bible and The Ten Commandments, as well as the popular TV show The Simpsons)....

Sorry, but couldn't hear anything but Troy Maclure.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

The reason I often hear why Disc 2 was such a mess is because Xenogears was being developed alongside Final Fantasy 8, and Square transferred staff and resources to FF8.

The biggest travesty is that some of the Xenogears staff made their own studio (Monolith Soft) and released the Xenosaga games, got bought by Nintendo and SE has been sitting on the Xenogears name for no goddamn reason so we'll never have that sweet sweeping six game mech game epic.

(I should pick up Xenoblade since I heard it's good and I like giant robots).

They've been sitting on the Xeno stuff because the games sold like hot garbage and where loving poo poo.

Xeno 1 was barely a game, it was the proto MGS4 with how many goddamn cutscenes it had, Xeno 2 had no idea what kind of gaming is seemingly wanted to be and had the dumbest combat system ever, 3 was the only that resembled an actual RPG and the story was atrocious in it.

I really wanted to like the franchise but the games just weren't any good.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Lost Odyssey was a really fun game but god drat it takes like a full minute to load from the overworld screen to the battle screen. I remember picking it up and playing it and quitting after the first hour because I spent more time looking at those weird clock looking transitional thingies than I spent actually fighting enemies.

The game was a ton of fun and I thought it was one of the better RPGS for the 360, but drat if that wasnt' a constant drag.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Morpheus posted:

stuff about how Monster Hunter actually works

Thanks, good to know. All the game gives you is that they will start acting differently once they're injured. I'd figured that the panting and breath clouds were a sign of exhaustion, didn't know about the drooling.

darkhand posted:

Is that the duramboros fight?

Yes, yes it is. I've been pretty much exclusively using dual blades up until this point, but they're feeling more like a liability in this particular mision.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Austrian mook posted:

Yeah you have to have something wrong with you not to enjoy the plot of MGR

By the end of Armstrong's speech I was ready to vote Republican.

VOTE FOR STEPHEN ARMSTRONG! HE IS CONSTANTLY EXPLODING!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
He played college ball, ya know.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM33Hr94SKw

Best game.

Literally the only thing dragging it down is that you can miss out on the :krad: lyrical version of Sundowner's boss theme if you play it too well. That and the one cutscene where they reintrodued Sunny from MGS4 was a little too long and boring, and even then they had that weird security guard drooling over anime girls in the backgrounds for laughs so it wasn't all bad.

And also the PC version is like 24 gigs and most of those are uncompressed video files, but as far as Japanese PC game ports go it's still one of the better ones :japan:

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
I just wish instead of Senator Armstrong being basically Dick Cheney, it was literally Dick Cheney. Like, uses his name, his face, hire a impersonator to do the voice, everything. That would be safe under parody laws right?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Spalec posted:

I just wish instead of Senator Armstrong being basically Dick Cheney, it was literally Dick Cheney. Like, uses his name, his face, hire a impersonator to do the voice, everything. That would be safe under parody laws right?

Parody is a fair-use exception to copyright, which wouldn't be relevant. It might be considered defamatory though, which would be a problem. I'm not familiar with the game, so I don't know what the character is like, but if it were exaggerated enough then it would probably be fine, but if it could be interpreted as saying "This is what Dick Cheney is actually like and he is terrible." then that would be defamatory.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Tiggum posted:

Parody is a fair-use exception to copyright, which wouldn't be relevant. It might be considered defamatory though, which would be a problem. I'm not familiar with the game, so I don't know what the character is like, but if it were exaggerated enough then it would probably be fine, but if it could be interpreted as saying "This is what Dick Cheney is actually like and he is terrible." then that would be defamatory.

Senator Not-Cheney runs Not-Haliburton, which is discovered to be removing the brains of orphans for the purpose of creating cyborg soldiers in a secret facility in Guadalajara, and is also allied with a PMC that is destabilizing various countries in order to help PMCs everywhere make money from the fallout and to help the cyborg leaders of Not-Blackwater get their sadistic rocks off. Not-Cheney engineers an attack against the President on a trip to Pakistan in order to use the swell of patriotism to get a lucrative war going and help his planned presidential campaign. The president is warned in time and diverts his flight, but the public outcry is still enough to serve his purpose. Not-Cheney reveals that he wants to become president so he can stop the cycle of for-profit wars and create a Darwinist Libertopia. Raiden rips out his nano machine-infused heart.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Literally the only thing dragging it down is that you can miss out on the :krad: lyrical version of Sundowner's boss theme if you play it too well.

I managed to do his fight properly the second go around and man, what an awesome song. :allears:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Best game.

Literally the only thing dragging it down is that you can miss out on the :krad: lyrical version of Sundowner's boss theme if you play it too well. That and the one cutscene where they reintrodued Sunny from MGS4 was a little too long and boring, and even then they had that weird security guard drooling over anime girls in the backgrounds for laughs so it wasn't all bad.

And also the PC version is like 24 gigs and most of those are uncompressed video files, but as far as Japanese PC game ports go it's still one of the better ones :japan:

Also the fact that Sam is the only boss in the game that you can choose to fight and skip the level part.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tiggum posted:

There's a key difference between the two. Dick defended torture as "enhanced interrogation". Armstrong would have admitted to torture and called everyone opposed to it pussies.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Also the fact that Sam is the only boss in the game that you can choose to fight and skip the level part.

You can skip to the boss fights on the PC. All of them. Not sure how Armstrong's works because I never skipped right to him but I got the no damage achievements by just skipping right to the boss fights over and over again until I was good enough to pull it off.

Except Armstrong, though. There's no way in hell I'll ever be good enough to beat him without taking damage.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

WickedHate posted:

There's a key difference between the two. Dick defended torture as "enhanced interrogation". Armstrong would have admitted to torture and called everyone opposed to it pussies.

He would also have flex his muscles so hard the podium would explode and the surrounding area would erupt in lava, and then he'd ghost-ride his sweet-rear end Metal Gear Excelsus into the horizon, both middle fingers extended high into the air while patriotic dubstep booms from nowhere and everywhere at once..

Here's something that brings down Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance for me: NOT ENOUGH AWESOME ARMSTRONG SCENES.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kaubocks posted:

You can skip to the boss fights on the PC. All of them. Not sure how Armstrong's works because I never skipped right to him but I got the no damage achievements by just skipping right to the boss fights over and over again until I was good enough to pull it off.

Except Armstrong, though. There's no way in hell I'll ever be good enough to beat him without taking damage.

I should have mentioned that I was talking about on console. That was my mistake. A good thing to offset it: They gave the Sam & Bladewolf DLC for free if you had the game.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

I should have mentioned that I was talking about on console. That was my mistake. A good thing to offset it: They gave the Sam & Bladewolf DLC for free if you had the game.

Ah, fair enough. I knew it was a PC only thing but the post you quoted was talking about the PC version so I thought you might have just missed the option to skip to the boss fights~

Thing dragging a game down: I started playing Devil May Cry 4 today. In classic DMC fashion I am Very Terrible at the game. I managed to hold my own until I got to Belial, the first real boss. I died three times before I finally won. I assumed the game quietly turned the difficulty down behind the scenes because that's how games work these days but what I wasn't expecting was for the game to just outright tell me I suck in the results screen.

PENALTY: ENEMY HANDICAP

I know I'm bad, DMC! You don't need to tell me that! :argh:

Also I met Gloria and her boobs are out of control.

sforzacio
Nov 6, 2012

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Best game.

What the gently caress.

That was the coolest thing I've ever seen. I need to pick this up immediately.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

sforzacio posted:

What the gently caress.

Good news! It's currently on sale on Steam for $5.99.

edit: And that's the tutorial level.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

sforzacio posted:

What the gently caress.

It's like $ No Excuse dollars on Steam right now.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

One of the better ones? That game was ported perfectly. I have a lovely Lenovo notebook with like 4 gigs of ram, an intel "it turns the screen on and nothing else" video card, and an i3 and the game still runs at full 60fps on medium settings with the slashy option jacked up to max.

I only installed it for shits and giggles and didn't expect it to actually work. Imagine my surprise when I was hacking apart Metal Gears ten minutes later without a stutter in sight.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I installed Fallout New Vegas finally because I need something to play and goons are always gushing about it. I haven't played long but why is the move speed so atrociously slow?

Edit: I just started so I shouldn't be encumbered or anything.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Esroc posted:

One of the better ones? That game was ported perfectly. I have a lovely Lenovo notebook with like 4 gigs of ram, an intel "it turns the screen on and nothing else" video card, and an i3 and the game still runs at full 60fps on medium settings with the slashy option jacked up to max.

I only installed it for shits and giggles and didn't expect it to actually work. Imagine my surprise when I was hacking apart Metal Gears ten minutes later without a stutter in sight.

Ehhhhh there are some minor things like the fact that the mouse cursor always comes back for cutscenes or the fact that the game itself renders at no better than 720p and just upscales to go any higher. Aside from that though, it's a great port and goddammit people who don't have it go buy it right now it's like $6.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Len posted:

I installed Fallout New Vegas finally because I need something to play and goons are always gushing about it. I haven't played long but why is the move speed so atrociously slow?

Edit: I just started so I shouldn't be encumbered or anything.

You might be either walking by default, or turned it on accidentally. Hit caps lock a couple times while moving, you might be able to figure that out.

You also move slower when your legs are crippled, that might be happening.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

sforzacio posted:

What the gently caress.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is a game where the tutorial level has you get into a sword-fight with a giant aquatic monster-tank and ends with a fight with the manliest politician to ever grace Washington on top of the ruins of a giant spider tank you also had to sword-fight.

BUY THE GAME.

Also, who can forget:

AH'M FUKKIN' INVINCIBLE!

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme

Kaubocks posted:

Skipping to Armstrong starts the fight from the very beginning before he's lava. Which is great to see him chew the scenery but a pain for just tearing him up. Also can't skip to Bladewolf :(

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Hobo By Design posted:

Skipping to Armstrong starts the fight from the very beginning before he's lava. Which is great to see him chew the scenery but a pain for just tearing him up. Also can't skip to Bladewolf :(

On Very Hard mode I keep getting my rear end kicked just after he breaks Raiden's HF Blade. It's hilarious to watch him tackle and backhand Raiden over and over, but someday I'd like to beat him. And I keep dying to those loving Gekkos in the very beginning of Revengeance mode. It's technically my fault, but sucking at the game brings it down for me. :(

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Screaming Idiot posted:

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is a game where the tutorial level has you get into a sword-fight with a giant aquatic monster-tank and ends with a fight with the manliest politician to ever grace Washington on top of the ruins of a giant spider tank you also had to sword-fight.

BUY THE GAME.

Also, who can forget:

AH'M FUKKIN' INVINCIBLE!

"Kids are cruel Jack, and I'm very much in touch with my inner child"

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Dragon Age: Inquisition on PS3 is terrible to the point of absurdity.

The animation is laughably bad, and often incomplete. Everything clips through everything else. Characters frequently speak without moving their lips. I've seen PS2 games with better textures. The sound will often fail to load, leading to battles with music but no sound effects and vice versa. The script barely even qualifies as such, and the voice actors are very obviously in it for the paycheck. The controls are about as responsive as an ex-wife. Everything everything everything looks absolutely like poo poo, but in a twist of irony there's occasionally a no-name npc in the background wearing generic clothes or armor that are better modeled and textured than that of main characters. Everything is so shiny it looks like all of reality is sweating at all times. Dialogue choices are meaningless because the PC has the same bored tone no matter what you choose and the subsequent dialogue rarely matches the dialogue choice (for example the seemingly hardass choice of "unhand me!" results in "I'm innocent, please let me go!").

I mean, gently caress. Does anyone at Bioware give a poo poo anymore?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Screaming Idiot posted:

BUY THE GAME.

Also, who can forget:

AH'M FUKKIN' INVINCIBLE!

Does Revengeance have a "whiny baby" difficulty? The game looks awesome as all heck, but I understand it's by Platinum and I am laughably terrible at action games, or any games requiring reflexes. Or really most games.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Cleretic posted:

You might be either walking by default, or turned it on accidentally. Hit caps lock a couple times while moving, you might be able to figure that out.

You also move slower when your legs are crippled, that might be happening.

These are all possible, but the normal movement speed in New Vegas is just really slow compared to a lot of games. It's frustrating if I've been playing other stuff and come back to it after a while.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

YggiDee posted:

Does Revengeance have a "whiny baby" difficulty? The game looks awesome as all heck, but I understand it's by Platinum and I am laughably terrible at action games, or any games requiring reflexes. Or really most games.

Yeah, it's the one called 'Get Gud' :smuggo: But no seriously, gently caress the game judging you. It's not like it locks you out of moving on if you don't get a high enough rank. Just give it a shot on one of the lower difficulties and watch this video first because, the tutorial doesn't explain things well enough, according to most humans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2MHp6_SSMs

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

YggiDee posted:

I'm the same exact way and I beat it on both normal and hard difficulties. It starts a little rough but once you get into the hang of the combat system it's tons of fun. Normal mode had a decent challenge to it, and the item drops are fairly generous.
Just a few things to remember:
1.play the VR parry tutorial 2 or 3 times until you have it mastered, it's the cornerstone of the combat system and the game is all but impossible without it
2. The better you play the easier the game gets. I know that sounds obvious but the game rewards you with health and powerups for succsessful Zandatsu kills
3. Use your items. Chaff grenades, stingers and grenades are all very useful.
4.use your subweapons. They are all great at different things.

I'm practically retarded with alot of these action games but I had a blast with with Reveangance.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

YggiDee posted:

Yeah, you can put it on the lowest difficulty and there's an auto-combo mode where Raiden does sick moves if you just mash buttons. There's no harm in playing it like that. And, like the poster above said, health is really easy to come by if you kill enemies the correct way. Between that and an early-game secondary weapon (the polearm), you're fuckin' invincible if you use the super easy mode settings.

I'm pretty crap with action games, too, but getting the hang of parries, dodging, combos, etc. isn't as difficult as you'd think.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

The most annoying part of that was how there was a slight delay in the game deciding you were entering a random encounter and actually going into combat. You could still move but not hit any buttons, which meant you would be falling off ledges all the time as you move to jump.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Esroc posted:

At the other end of the scale, no 1440p, boooooooo. Otherwise, great game and hassle-free port.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Esroc posted:

Definitely picking it up so! Didn't think it'd work on my laptop but if it works on yours it definitely will!

edit: Only 3.99e AKA God's currency

EmmyOk has a new favorite as of 14:55 on Dec 19, 2014