Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oracle posted:

RT+LS to loom menacingly
RT+RS to disappear when someone's back is turned
modesty slider in options for female clothing

I'd be down for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

http://www.mtv.com/news/2024737/exclusive-batman-endgame-march-dc-comics/

Four one-shots coming out of the end of Endgame for Detective Comics, Batgirl, Arkham Manor and Gotham Academy.
And the cover to Batman #40 is amazing.

Bedtime Stories
Jul 28, 2013
Because everyone loves unnecessary tie-in inventory issues! :v:

I hope these are like Annuals and the regular #40s are coming out as well, but, y'know...DC... :ughh:

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Teenage Fansub posted:

http://www.mtv.com/news/2024737/exclusive-batman-endgame-march-dc-comics/

Four one-shots coming out of the end of Endgame for Detective Comics, Batgirl, Arkham Manor and Gotham Academy.
And the cover to Batman #40 is amazing.

That's based off the statue of Michael which was also used in Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Bedtime Stories posted:

Because everyone loves unnecessary tie-in inventory issues! :v:

I hope these are like Annuals and the regular #40s are coming out as well, but, y'know...DC... :ughh:
They're solicited as [Title here]: Endgame #1, so it's probably safe to say regular issues will come out as well. Guess we'll see when March solicits hit within the next few days for all titles.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I just saw that Batman Eternal started a new arc a few issues back - would that be a decent enough jumping in point, or am I going to be completely lost without having read the previous issues? I have the Vol 1 collection coming from the library but that's all I'll really have access to as far as catching up.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

Dunbar posted:

I just saw that Batman Eternal started a new arc a few issues back - would that be a decent enough jumping in point, or am I going to be completely lost without having read the previous issues? I have the Vol 1 collection coming from the library but that's all I'll really have access to as far as catching up.

It didn't start a new arc, it's just been one long meandering storyline, albeit an entertaining one. You'll need to have read everything, in my opinion.

Bedtime Stories
Jul 28, 2013
Welp.

Batwoman and Arkham Manor are dead.

It's not Batman, but lol @ Klarion getting the plug pulled after 6 issues. Good job, Nocenti.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Previously in the Batman thread:

Pope Corky the IX posted:

This is probably just a rumor, seeing as how I can't find anything about it online, but a few of the employees at my local comic shop were telling me yesterday that 'Arkham Manor' has been changed to a one-shot miniseries. Apparently DC started pulling their last-minute changes poo poo with Duggan and he got fed up enough to quit the project. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

By the way, Gerry Duggan quitting 'Arkham Manor' after only six issues apparently came from Scott Snyder himself. He frequently visits my local comic shop and he told them about it the last time he was there. Story is that he was pissed off at how DC functions compared to Marvel, considering he's been doing Deadpool for three years now without a complaint.

I don't buy there not just being a plan to end this with Eternal and everything else, and especially the part with Snyder dishing to comic book guy, but congrats!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 16, 2014

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Batwoman's been dead for a while, good to hear DC is going to stop Weekend at Bernie's-ing it at least.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

THAT is how you do a scary Joker.

e: The most obvious Batman & Robin spoiler:

:)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Dec 17, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Well this Joker is more terrifying than faceless Joker.

Though it's gone so far now the Scarecrow toxin Batman "got out of his system" has to end up playing some sort of effect on things.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Teenage Fansub posted:

e: The most obvious Batman & Robin spoiler:

:)

I think you mean

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
That makes me really happy. :3
EDIT: Was Taters I don't even want to hear it just let us enjoy this.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Waterhaul posted:

Well this Joker is more terrifying than faceless Joker.

Though it's gone so far now the Scarecrow toxin Batman "got out of his system" has to end up playing some sort of effect on things.

That's what's really nagging at me, how the gently caress is this Joker everywhere, and got all this poo poo planned all at once? Its beyond unbelievable even for a Batman/Joker story. So much so it kinda just has me disinterested, where as Batman and___________ was pretty drat badass ridiculous. Also that issue's drawing of Darkseid is pretty terrifying in a monolith kind of way.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
"Bruce! Now that you've brought Damian back from the dead, you can do the same for Dick right?!?"
"Uhhh yeah...sure...."

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They brought back Damien?

Lame.

He was more interesting dead.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
What ongoing Batbooks are actually worth reading? Right now I'm catching up on B&R because I know I want to keep up with that one, but it seems like the others can be hit or miss. How's Justice League?

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

poonchasta posted:

What ongoing Batbooks are actually worth reading? Right now I'm catching up on B&R because I know I want to keep up with that one, but it seems like the others can be hit or miss. How's Justice League?
Aside from B&R, I recommend Gotham Academy, Catwoman and Grayson the most. Arkham Manor is interesting too but you should just trade wait it since it's confirmed as a stealth-mini ending at issue 6.

Justice League has been great post-Forever Evil thanks to Lex Luthor. He'll probably be kicked off the team after this current arc, but it's been great.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Jiro posted:

That's what's really nagging at me, how the gently caress is this Joker everywhere, and got all this poo poo planned all at once? Its beyond unbelievable even for a Batman/Joker story. So much so it kinda just has me disinterested, where as Batman and___________ was pretty drat badass ridiculous. Also that issue's drawing of Darkseid is pretty terrifying in a monolith kind of way.

Yeah, I like a good Joker story but Snyder's loving stupid.

RHATO and B&R were fantastic at least.

EDIT: Although on second thought, B&R events have some very unpleasant implications for the bat family as whole, considering that everyone believes Dick death and well, the whole thing should be such a massive gently caress you for Jason.

Not that anyone will pick on those threads of course.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 18, 2014

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Well Tomasi already included Secret Agent Dick in an issue, so he's not ignorant to the fact that Dick isn't around. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets brought up at some point.

As far as a "gently caress you" to Jason - B&R 20 was enough of one that I think Jason is just numb to the whole thing at this point.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Jiro posted:

Yeah but being ridiculous is the point right? Like it's gone far beyond normal that there just has to be something else at play. Like now The Joker on top of everything else knows Bruce's identity now, is unkillable and has existed for over a hundred years as some kind of devil. I presume whatever else is at play it's an attempt to break Bruce, to have the Joker goes so far beyond that Bruce has "no choice" but to kill him.

poonchasta posted:

Adjectiveless Batman has been consistently good - great since #1.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

Yeah but being ridiculous is the point right?

This is the arc with the miniaturized sun fist.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Waterhaul posted:

has existed for over a hundred years as some kind of devil.

My god it all makes sense. Ra's Al Ghul was the Joker ALL ALONG.

(Hey Scott Snyder, I pulled a complete bullshit plot twist and dragged another Bat-character into the story in that one sentence alone, I think I am qualified to join the Batman Eternal writing team, please read my resume tia)

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Teenage Fansub posted:

This is the arc with the miniaturized sun fist.

Well yeah there's ridiculous comic book science and then just straight up saying The Joker is the devil.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Waterhaul posted:

Well yeah there's ridiculous comic book science and then just straight up saying The Joker is the devil.

Why does everyone think he's the Devil? Just because he was shot in the chest? Could be wearing body armor, I'd be more inclined if Gordon put one between the eyes AND THEN he gets up. Kinda feels like Snyder is doing his own Thomas Wayne Jr./Barbatos thing that Morrison did only its with his true enemy The Joker! Would not surprise me if its like the Animated series episode where Mad Hatter has him locked up in his own head's nightmare world.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Jiro posted:

Why does everyone think he's the Devil? Just because he was shot in the chest? Could be wearing body armor, I'd be more inclined if Gordon put one between the eyes AND THEN he gets up. Kinda feels like Snyder is doing his own Thomas Wayne Jr./Barbatos thing that Morrison did only its with his true enemy The Joker! Would not surprise me if its like the Animated series episode where Mad Hatter has him locked up in his own head's nightmare world.

Because just prior to Gordon shooting him you have Gordon rummaging through records and seeing the Joker in the background of pictures from every major crazy event to take place in the hospital, going back so far as 1910. Like Joker is literally an evil demon/devil/whatever from a horror story that's been in the background for over a hundred years. Which in itself would be a crazy retcon to attempt but would contradict Snyder's Red Hood stuff he did earlier.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Waterhaul posted:

Because just prior to Gordon shooting him you have Gordon rummaging through records and seeing the Joker in the background of pictures from every major crazy event to take place in the hospital, going back so far as 1910. Like Joker is literally an evil demon/devil/whatever from a horror story that's been in the background for over a hundred years. Which in itself would be a crazy retcon to attempt but would contradict Snyder's Red Hood stuff he did earlier.

Sorry I don't think I was being too clear, I remember the images Gordon was seeing, and then Joker going all bogeyman and popping out from under the bed which is kind of horrifying in of itself. But where has this mentality of Joker=Devil emerging from? We know the entire town is laced with some kind of Joker/Fear Toxin, whose to say that initial effects aren't hallucinatory fear toxin first and then going full Joker smile? I guess I'm just not buying it on grounds that I don't see Snyder contradicting lore he put down himself, plus it would turn into ANOTHER secret history of Gotham angle a Bruce Batman would have no idea about.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'd like Snyder to put in doubts like Gordon saying he doctored the photos, but never actually reveal any 'truths' and just leave him frustratingly vague.

e: Like all of the tales the lady is getting in the backups.

I'm not as into the Jokerized masses, cause it's been done to death, but I really, really like this Joker.

ee: That Scarecrow fear toxin in the first issue will have to wrap around, right? I just remembered that. It'll be the antidote to the Joker virus.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Dec 18, 2014

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Jiro posted:

Sorry I don't think I was being too clear, I remember the images Gordon was seeing, and then Joker going all bogeyman and popping out from under the bed which is kind of horrifying in of itself. But where has this mentality of Joker=Devil emerging from? We know the entire town is laced with some kind of Joker/Fear Toxin, whose to say that initial effects aren't hallucinatory fear toxin first and then going full Joker smile? I guess I'm just not buying it on grounds that I don't see Snyder contradicting lore he put down himself, plus it would turn into ANOTHER secret history of Gotham angle a Bruce Batman would have no idea about.

Well yeah the Joker isn't going to really turn out to be the Devil but it's the current red herring the story is throwing. Like I expect something like the B:TAS series reveal before the story is over (especially with Bruce still recently "recovered" from the worst Scarecrow toxin he's experienced) but currently as far as things are concerned there's nothing to say that the Joker toxin is anything other than what has been shown and Gordon/Bruce have not been effected by it yet

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Dec 18, 2014

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I just finished reading the Stephanie Brown Batgirl run. It was really good, and didn't feel rushed because of cancellation or anything. Felt like it could last 25 issues more, but I really have no complaints because it ended on a high note.

As I understand it--Stephanie is Spoiler in Nu52, and Cass hasn't even made an appearance? With the Batgirl relaunch it seems that Barbara is going to wear the mantle for the next few years, then.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I worry that it might all end with "it was all a dream/fear toxin" cop-out. I want to dislike Batman more than I should. I'm not a big fan of Snyder's Joker but at least he is aware of the silliness of what he is doing and going hog-wild with it.
My favourite bit of the comic is where Gordon tells Bats that he killed the Joker. The guy is so happy and stuff. I figured that is how everyone in Gotham would feel if the Joker just died (and a few fans too).
Also major cred should go to Greg who has been knocking the book out of the park with his artwork. It is amazing how effective his art has been at creating a creepy menacing atmosphere.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

Also major cred should go to Greg who has been knocking the book out of the park with his artwork. It is amazing how effective his art has been at creating a creepy menacing atmosphere.
The eventual Snyder/Capullo Batman omnibus is going to be freaking gorgeous.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

It wouldn't really contradict anything. It's not even really explicitly stated that Red Hood One is the Joker. Either way, the Joker being more than human is something he started in Death of the Family.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Dec 20, 2014

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

Has anyone been reading Catwoman with the new creative team? I dropped off the Nocenti run, but I heard it's started to get better with the switch.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yeah. It's completely different.
It's worth a try if you have a taste for mob family politics over any sort of action.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Dunbar posted:

Has anyone been reading Catwoman with the new creative team? I dropped off the Nocenti run, but I heard it's started to get better with the switch.
It's pretty good. Selina is more subdued compared to how she's usually written, but it's a good plot and interesting take on her. Though I highly suggest you read up on what's been going on in Eternal, otherwise you might get confused as to why she's suddenly the leader of a major crime family.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

This more than makes up for Tynion's lovely annual :allears:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Well at least they didn't leave Starfire's costume the way it's normally drawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I really liked this annual. Tynion is so much better than he was two years ago with the first Mr Freeze one.

• Locked thread