Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

How will sharing worlds with other players work if the whole thing is procedurally generated. Like, supposing I find a unique planet populated with hot alien babes, will only I be able to gently caress them or can I share them with people on my friends list?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
i think that the universe is procedurally generated on server side and is consistent but massive, so you can share the co-ordinates to people for them to get to that place

but i don't know if they've been super clear about how its gonna work for any of it which kind of worries me

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Well there appears to be no release date and no confirmed platforms, which probably means they will run out of money at some point and just put out another one of the two dozen empty space sims already on the market. Derek Smart needs to come in and show these jokers how it's done.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

what, sony is giving it tons of support so they release it on ps4

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!

exquisite tea posted:

Well there appears to be no release date and no confirmed platforms, which probably means they will run out of money at some point and just put out another one of the two dozen empty space sims already on the market. Derek Smart needs to come in and show these jokers how it's done.

confirmed platforms: ps4. no release date: its a small indie team who just happened to have grabbed a bunch of hype.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
oh :smith: then i will set my expectations appropriately low

whats the next major release coming up? is it the feb/march release of bloodbourne?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

hubris.height posted:

whats the next major release coming up? is it the feb/march release of bloodbourne?

For PS4? The Order is in February, along with Dead or Alive 5 Last Round. Bloodbourne is late March now.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Eye of Widesauron posted:

Step off Hanzer we don't work with no AUGs

I miss being called that, lao wai just isn't the same.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
lol so there are no exciting jan / feb releases then

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
I recently replayed DE:HR and I had totally forgotten how garbage some parts were. The ending was extra hilarious in hindsight with all the mass effect 3 stuff

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Replaying through all the Mass Effects right now, I never bought any of the ME3 DLC or the extended cut but I feel (hope) that it is a more complete game with it. The combat in ME1 is really whack by today's standards but this is the most Bae custom face I've ever made in a Bioware game so I'm inclined to continue.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax
Can't wait to land on a planet in No Man's Sky and find out it was already discovered by Hitler_Was_Right88. The Order looks boring, but at least I'll be able to catch up on games until Bloodbourne comes out.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!

hubris.height posted:

indie teams have produced some amazing stuff, and what they have shown so far is actual gameplay footage. the latest video had a shot of the controller at the end at the PSX stream. even if they only released what was shown so far, id be in. its procedural stuff so a large amount of content is definitely doable by a small team like this.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Stux posted:

indie teams have produced some amazing stuff, and what they have shown so far is actual gameplay footage. the latest video had a shot of the controller at the end at the PSX stream. even if they only released what was shown so far, id be in. its procedural stuff so a large amount of content is definitely doable by a small team like this.

I think it'd be fun for awhile but the only way it could have some lasting appeal to me beyond the pretty graphics is if plots were allowed to develop, like this starship from whatever galaxy introduced an invasive giant insect species and now they're assimilating this entire sector of space, stuff like that.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!

exquisite tea posted:

I think it'd be fun for awhile but the only way it could have some lasting appeal to me beyond the pretty graphics is if plots were allowed to develop, like this starship from whatever galaxy introduced an invasive giant insect species and now they're assimilating this entire sector of space, stuff like that.

otoh i would just fly around forever even without that so

like there is going to be an aim and "story" in the game, just optional and not leaned on heavily.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

exquisite tea posted:

Replaying through all the Mass Effects right now, I never bought any of the ME3 DLC or the extended cut but I feel (hope) that it is a more complete game with it. The combat in ME1 is really whack by today's standards but this is the most Bae custom face I've ever made in a Bioware game so I'm inclined

[quote="exquisite tea" post="439179024"]
Replaying through all the Mass Effects right now, I never bought any of the ME3 DLC or the extended cut but I feel (hope) that it is a more complete game with it. The combat in ME1 is really whack by today's standards but this is the most Bae custom face I've ever made in a Bioware game so I'm inclined to continue.

It's probably because I'm not very invested in the Mass Effect series, but the ending thing felt like a overreaction as if it diminished the whole long and beloved journey.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Static Rook posted:

Can't wait to land on a planet in No Man's Sky and find out it was already discovered by Hitler_Was_Right88. The Order looks boring, but at least I'll be able to catch up on games until Bloodbourne comes out.

Injustice is free for PS+ so my gf and i are gonna beat the crap out of each other for a while

I hope No Man's Sky is like a modern day Starflight

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Ahundredbux posted:

It's probably because I'm not very invested in the Mass Effect series, but the ending thing felt like a overreaction as if it diminished the whole long and beloved journey.

I think the fixation on the ending was an overspecific reaction to the whole second half of the game in general, which was really rushed and lacked focus. While ultimately I think ME3 fell short at the end, I do think it failed in an interesting way, and the downright suicidal 8000 word goon treatises written about it will always be funny.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

So if I really loving loved Freelancer should I go get Elite

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
is Troika still making that Cyberpunk game

edit: I mean CD Projekt and apparently they are, awesome

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

precision posted:

is Troika still making that Cyberpunk game
You're thinking of CD Projekt and yes they are, its their next game after Witcher 3 comes out. Probably won't be for another two years though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
oh poo poo 65daysofstatic are doing the music for No Man's Sky? gently caress me sideways, this will be the ultimate "get stoned and just cruise around looking at poo poo game" won't it

literally all I want now is virtual tourism. Game's gonna rule

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Stelas posted:

So if I really loving loved Freelancer should I go get Elite

I don't know about Freelancer, but if you loved Freespace then you should definitely jump on that poo poo. Elite is definitely focusing more on the simulation side of things than the "having fun" side of things.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

exquisite tea posted:

Good luck, Gamer. The Mass Effect trilogy is an epic experience.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!

Alain Post posted:

Good luck, Gamer. The Mass Effect trilogy is an epic experience.

epically banal

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Mass Effect 1 is banal for sure. The other two games are massively good though.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!

Alain Post posted:

Mass Effect 1 is banal for sure. The other two games are massively good though.

massively banal

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It's actually massively win.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Good luck making your threads today gamers!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I've played the first Mass Effect at least three times already so it's NBD, if you just console cheat your way to the best guns + armor you can mow through the not-so-good combat sections and enjoy the thrill of seeing your custom Shepard face in a wide array of dynamic lightning environments.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Frank Horrigan posted:

I don't know about Freelancer, but if you loved Freespace then you should definitely jump on that poo poo. Elite is definitely focusing more on the simulation side of things than the "having fun" side of things.

Is it a better and more interesting version of the X-series

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Mass Effect 2 was great. Just forget the other two exist.

Shepherd destroyed the reaper, the end.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Mass Effect 3 is a thrilling conclusion to the epic journey. I love it, and the ending is cool.

ME2 is definitely the best in the series though.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Ddraig posted:

Mass Effect 2 was great. Just forget the other two exist.

Shepherd destroyed the reaper, the end.

All the Mass Effects are various shades of good to great, and Control is actually the best + most interesting ending.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

exquisite tea posted:

I've played the first Mass Effect at least three times already so it's NBD, if you just console cheat your way to the best guns + armor you can mow through the not-so-good combat sections and enjoy the thrill of seeing your custom Shepard face in a wide array of dynamic lightning environments.

I liked the combat in the second one, almost makes me wanna play that 3rd person Xcom game to get that without all the story-stuff

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Ahundredbux posted:

I liked the combat in the second one, almost makes me wanna play that 3rd person Xcom game to get that without all the story-stuff

If you liked the combat in ME2 then you should def. buy ME3 for the multiplayer. It's addicting, way better than even ME2 and there are still a lot of people who play it for some reason. ME3 is also on sale for like 6bux now on Origin so why not??

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

I spent an hour omnigelling everything and all I got was this stupid t shirt

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I never beat mass effect 1 and I don't think I ever will

elevators

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Mass Effect 2 has Mordin doing Gilbert and Sullivan. Clearly it is the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i beat me1 three times, me2 two times and me3 once. they were all pretty good

• Locked thread