Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
It's not the most fun part of the game, but I never thought it was that bad. What is your party?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Draile posted:

Never go inside the Firewine Ruins. There is nothing in there and the area is terrible. Just visit the outskirts for the weapon mastery bracers.
The game effectively lets you skip the area by going through the evil halfling's house straight to the ogre magus. As for the rest of the area, pickpocketing a longbow of marksmanship off one of the ghosts (I think a skill a bit over 100% suffices for that) is handy if you have an archer-heavy party since there aren't that many magic longbows in the game.

Draile posted:

I don't hate Cloakwood but I understand people who do. Two areas are filled with undetectable web traps and the dungeon at the end no different than the Nashkel Mines.
They can be detected. What I do in that area (and in trapped dungeons in general) is cast Invisibility on a Thief and send him around finding and disarming all of the traps before moving in with my whole party.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

Mzbundifund posted:

Bring Minsc to make best use of a special treasure there!

Which treasure, exactly? Is it something that already was in the base game (if so, I'd have a pretty good idea what you're referring to), or a new EE item?

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

Nycticeius posted:

Which treasure, exactly? Is it something that already was in the base game (if so, I'd have a pretty good idea what you're referring to), or a new EE item?

I assume it's the +2 two-handed sword that grants free action. One of the best weapons in the game, for sure.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Draile posted:

Never go inside the Firewine Ruins. There is nothing in there

What are you talking about? There's tons of kobold archers in there!

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Well right after asking about Cloakwood I get to its actual plot point, so I guess I'll see if it's the hell it seems to be described as.
It's just not that good an area. It isn't bullshit like the area north of the Friendly Arm Inn where Ankhegs will pop up and murder your mages in a single round if you don't know what's about to happen. Wyverns are kinda fuckers but they're also very valuable kills in both head and XP terms, which is nice.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
IMO the worst area from a game design perspective is the basilisk area. its either impossible or just free exp if you use protection from petrification. i remember the first few times i played the game, back in the day, i just skipped it because i didn't understand english well enough to realise you only need a lvl 1 spell protection to completely murder them.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Who needs protection from petrification when you have Korax the friendly ghoul.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Dyna Soar posted:

IMO the worst area from a game design perspective is the basilisk area
Yeah there's like 2 areas in the whole game with Basilisks AFAIK, the area that's built around them, and there are a couple in Candlekeep. The first are, ok there are a lot of stone adventurers around and stuff, but it's still a gently caress-you if you don't have one of your mages able to use Protection from Petrification with the incredibly valuable level one slots you're usually reserving for Sleep / Mage Armour / Shield / Magic Missiles / Chromatic Orb, etc. etc.

Second time's just really rude.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Isn't there one in a random warehouse once you reach Baldur's Gate also?

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb
Yes, and a few on the roof of Durlag's Tower.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

Hulk Krogan posted:

Yes but this one you get warned about in a quest so you can prepare for it or just avoid the bastard.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

There is a basilisk random encounter ("you have been waylaid by monsters and must defend yourself") which is by far the biggest bullshit the game can throw at you.

Yes, you can trivialize basilisks with a level 1 spell. But you're not going to have time to get that spell off if you get ambushed.

I will actually carry a potion of mirrored eyes in a quickslot on my main dude during ironman runs just because I fear that encounter that much.

I did, however, learn that random encounter maps are actually all the same in each area. I learned that when Coran got turned to stone during an ironman and I didn't have stone-to-flesh scrolls, so I kept moving. Several in-game weeks later, I got ambushed on that side of the world map, and there's the Coran statue.

This also works if you get the "recruit Dorn" ambush and you have to abandon a party member in the wilderness. S/he'll still be there assuming you get that encounter map again.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I have had BG1EE on my ipad for months but cant get into it. The touch controls are just too annoying. I assume there is no way to get it to work with a bluetooth keyboard and mouse?

I have an old rear end netbook that I might revive an turn into my "traveling old RPG" system.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

FairGame posted:

This also works if you get the "recruit Dorn" ambush and you have to abandon a party member in the wilderness. S/he'll still be there assuming you get that encounter map again.

Shouldn't you be able to console yourself to that encounter map?

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Hulk Krogan posted:

Dootman posted:

Yes, and a few on the roof of Durlag's Tower.
Also a couple in the Candlekeep catacombs. Another way to deal with them if you don't want to bother with Protection from Petrification is to ascertain their exact location with a stealthed character an then throw an Emotion spell at them while they're in the fog of war. They're then completely harmless and can be easily taken out.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
The firewine ruins is the most baffling place to me. It's a giant maze inside of a bridge? That also has an Egyptian tomb aesthetic? And there's next to no reward for going in there? There's a good bit of Baldurs Gate that really feels half finished, or feels as though the developers builts the areas first and then mashed a narrative into them second.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Dyna Soar posted:

its either impossible or just free exp if you use protection from petrification.

I said this a few pages ago, but this is totally the story of so much in these games.

FairGame posted:

There is a basilisk random encounter ("you have been waylaid by monsters and must defend yourself") which is by far the biggest bullshit the game can throw at you.

Also I've played this game countless times in the last 15 years and never had that encounter. I dont disbelieve you, just sayin~

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Zeniel posted:

The firewine ruins is the most baffling place to me. It's a giant maze inside of a bridge? That also has an Egyptian tomb aesthetic? And there's next to no reward for going in there? There's a good bit of Baldurs Gate that really feels half finished, or feels as though the developers builts the areas first and then mashed a narrative into them second.

Coming back to the original Baldurs Gate after polishing off IWD makes this very apparent. There's some real care put into the dungeon design in Dale while the BG ones are a series of tiny corriders with a few traps and some enemies milling about. They could not have planned on a six man squad when building the indoor areas because it's such a pain in the rear end navigating a full party. I'm drawing near the end of my original Baldurs Gate run and I recall the dungeon design in the sequel to be far better.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Metal Meltdown posted:

Coming back to the original Baldurs Gate after polishing off IWD makes this very apparent. There's some real care put into the dungeon design in Dale while the BG ones are a series of tiny corriders with a few traps and some enemies milling about. They could not have planned on a six man squad when building the indoor areas because it's such a pain in the rear end navigating a full party. I'm drawing near the end of my original Baldurs Gate run and I recall the dungeon design in the sequel to be far better.

The dungeons definitely get much better in the sequel. I recently refinished BG 1 and had a ball of a time. Finally managed to kill Aec'Letec without losing anyone to his death gaze, although Jaheira did have to bludgeon Imoen to death to do this and it took waay to many tries. Having started BG2 for the first time in ages. I'm finding that I really can't get into to it. BG 1s writing is all over the shop but it's not anywhere near as grating as it is in BG2.

Minsc never shuts up and his quips are very long winded. Imoen keeps going into morbid detail about her torture in a the writer was a major creep kinda way. And dear god why did I never notice how friggen whiny Aerie was when I was younger. Everyone is so one dimensional, which wouldn't be so bad if their one dimension wasn't so insufferable and of course the romances, ugh, why did any of that poo poo become popular its loving awful . I don't think I can carry on with it any more.

Icewind Dale on the other hand I'm having a blast revisiting. I do have one question though, why was Brother Poquelin trying to build a giant iron boat to sail on lava? Apart from the obvious reason that that would be awesome.

Zeniel fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 20, 2014

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

Metal Meltdown posted:

They started getting dungeons right in TotSC, Durlag's Tower is the best dungeon in any of the IE games I've played. I was expecting something similar to Durlag's Tower and Watcher's Keep when I did Trials of the Luremaster, that place was a bit of a letdown. It is more of an IWD-style choice than anything since it focuses more on mobs than puzzles/quests.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Zeniel posted:

Icewind Dale on the other hand I'm having a blast revisiting. I do have one question though, why was Brother Poquelin trying to build a giant iron boat to sail on lava? Apart from the obvious reason that that would be awesome.
I can't remember exactly, but I think he was going to have Maiden Ilmadia and the fire giants ride them somewhere and burst out + murder everyone.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Metal Meltdown posted:

Dungeons are the only thing IWD does.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

fong posted:

Also I've played this game countless times in the last 15 years and never had that encounter. I dont disbelieve you, just sayin~

I've played this game countless times in the last 15 years and never once have gotten the "infiltrate the bandit camp" stuff to fire successfully, and instead just have to murder my way through it.

I think you got the better end of the deal in terms of "poo poo that can happen but is rare" Especially since Tazok apparently doesn't even stay dead within BG1, to say nothing of popping back up in Firkraags dungeon.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Zeniel posted:

The dungeons definitely get much better in the sequel. I recently refinished BG 1 and had a ball of a time. Finally managed to kill Aec'Letec without losing anyone to his death gaze, although Jaheira did have to bludgeon Imoen to death to do this and it took waay to many tries. Having started BG2 for the first time in ages. I'm finding that I really can't get into to it. BG 1s writing is all over the shop but it's not anywhere near as grating as it is in BG2.

Minsc never shuts up and his quips are very long winded. Imoen keeps going into morbid detail about her torture in a the writer was a major creep kinda way. And dear god why did I never notice how friggen whiny Aerie was when I was younger. Everyone is so one dimensional, which wouldn't be so bad if their one dimension wasn't so insufferable and of course the romances, ugh, why did any of that poo poo become popular its loving awful . I don't think I can carry on with it any more.

Ditch Aerie and Minsc. Grab Mazzy and either Viconia or Anomen (Anomen can be a little annoying, but he's not whiny and if you're a dude he doesn't try and hit on you). Imoen has very little dialogue after you rescue her.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

Draile posted:

I assume it's the +2 two-handed sword that grants free action. One of the best weapons in the game, for sure.

Yeah, figured as much. Thanks!

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Skwirl posted:

Ditch Aerie and Minsc. Grab Mazzy and either Viconia or Anomen (Anomen can be a little annoying, but he's not whiny and if you're a dude he doesn't try and hit on you). Imoen has very little dialogue after you rescue her.

I would do but I'm a cleric so I've no need to take another one and I rolled with Anomen the last time I played this game way back when. I was definitely considering Mazzy. Honestly its also the fact that I've completely forgotten where most of everything is and a decent approach to the game. I think I'm just kind of over BG2.

All good though IWD is still tons of fun, just started HoW, drat babarian skeletons are giving my rockin party a good lesson in humiliation.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Zeniel posted:

I would do but I'm a cleric so I've no need to take another one and I rolled with Anomen the last time I played this game way back when. I was definitely considering Mazzy. Honestly its also the fact that I've completely forgotten where most of everything is and a decent approach to the game. I think I'm just kind of over BG2.

All good though IWD is still tons of fun, just started HoW, drat babarian skeletons are giving my rockin party a good lesson in humiliation.

If you have a high enough level cleric one of the silliest tactics you can deploy on that island is to activate turn undead and then have a wizard throw invisibility on him. You can then run around at your leisure as all manner of undead simply explode from your undetectable presence. This actually works anywhere in the game with a lot of undead but that island was probably the first time in the game my turn undead was potent enough for the trick.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Zeniel posted:

Oh, in that case you don't need either. Grab Edwin, Nalia or Jan; or Haer'Daelis if you don't feel the need for a full mage until you get Imoen back (Jan might be a little grating actually, since you can't stand Minsc).

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Edwins out because I'm a do gooder who likes to do good and all that.

I'm cool with Jan, he's never really bugged me the same way Minsc does, it's just his sound prompts are so long winded and they seem to repeat more than everyone elses. I can only hear, "A DEN of STINKING evil..." and boos incessant squeaking so many times. I probably wouldn't find Jan as entertaining as I used to, but then again, most of the writing in this game seems a lot worse these days.

I've currently got Nalia, but she feels pretty dead weight and her "FOR THE NEEDY!" lines cracks me up every time for how stupid it is.

I'd totally regrab Haer'Dalis, I loves me NPCs with unique character profiles that you can't just pick yourself and he's just so cheerful even when he dies. Plus he's played by Michael Bell and he's also from Sigil and a blade to boot! What's not to love about that guy?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

If anyone hasn't seen the Star Trek Next Generation episode Chain of Command, it has David Warner (Irenicus) kidnap the main character and torture him in a dungeon.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

I can't believe I just found out today that BGEE is steam play for Mac now....

Only problem is that the font when you tab over an item ignores the system font scaling and I can't read it on a rMBP. Anyone know if there's a fix for it?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Zeniel posted:

Edwins out because I'm a do gooder who likes to do good and all that.

I'm cool with Jan, he's never really bugged me the same way Minsc does, it's just his sound prompts are so long winded and they seem to repeat more than everyone elses. I can only hear, "A DEN of STINKING evil..." and boos incessant squeaking so many times. I probably wouldn't find Jan as entertaining as I used to, but then again, most of the writing in this game seems a lot worse these days.

I've currently got Nalia, but she feels pretty dead weight and her "FOR THE NEEDY!" lines cracks me up every time for how stupid it is.

I'd totally regrab Haer'Dalis, I loves me NPCs with unique character profiles that you can't just pick yourself and he's just so cheerful even when he dies. Plus he's played by Michael Bell and he's also from Sigil and a blade to boot! What's not to love about that guy?

Edwin's not that Evil he's just a selfish rear end in a top hat. Nalia's a fine replacement, you just need to equip her with all the thief enhancing gear available if she's your main thief. No one who levels up as a mage is dead weight, in fact she can cast the most damaging non epic spell and Edwin can't, which is kinda important at later level.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Skwirl posted:

Edwin's not that Evil he's just a selfish rear end in a top hat. Nalia's a fine replacement, you just need to equip her with all the thief enhancing gear available if she's your main thief. No one who levels up as a mage is dead weight, in fact she can cast the most damaging non epic spell and Edwin can't, which is kinda important at later level.

What spell are you referring to? Edwin's a Conjurer, which locks him out of Divination magic. Divination doesn't have any damaging spells at all.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mzbundifund posted:

What spell are you referring to? Edwin's a Conjurer, which locks him out of Divination magic. Divination doesn't have any damaging spells at all.

I thought he also didn't get Necromancy, I might just be thinking of Jan. Horrid Wilting is the spell I was thinking of.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Yeah I'm pretty sure Necromancy is counter aligned to Illusion magic so Jan won't be able to get that spell.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Edwin laughs when paladins die and tries to kill Elminster. Though so does my MC usually so maybe he's not so bad.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Best character in Baldur's Gate is the doppelganger of Winthorp.

Zeniel fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Dec 20, 2014

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Wow...

So I'm starting my Ironman game for the next thread since I have some free time, and while I've played BG off and on for the past 21 years, I just now noticed that Kahlid is a fighter/mage. I always thought he was just a lovely fighter. Even better he starts with identify.

I'm still going to kill his rear end but at least he'll help make some money first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Hughlander posted:

Wow...

So I'm starting my Ironman game for the next thread since I have some free time, and while I've played BG off and on for the past 21 years, I just now noticed that Kahlid is a fighter/mage. I always thought he was just a lovely fighter. Even better he starts with identify.

I'm still going to kill his rear end but at least he'll help make some money first.

He's actually just a fighter but some mod makes him a fighter/mage