Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

While there were worse episodes in the season, I did not like Robots of Sherwood very much at all. There was such a strong air of unrealality to the episode and Robin and the Merry Men were so stereotypically themselves that I kept expecting Gatiss to say "No of course he's not the real Robin Hood don't be silly" but it never happened. And because of that I couldn't get into the episode. Then that nonsense at the end with the Golden Arrow, and ugh, at least the next episode was way better.

That being said, I did love

Jerusalem posted:

Sheriff: Nottingham is not enough.
Clara: It isn't?
Sheriff: After this... Derby!
Clara: ....right.
Sheriff: Then Lincoln! And after Lincoln....
Clara: Worksop?
Sheriff: THE WORLD! :byodood:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Barry Foster posted:

Here's someone doing a half decent impression of the Ninth Doctor doing a decent impression of the Eleventh Doctor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yboaJYXisGY

Man, I miss the Ninth Doctor.

That's actually pretty good. Shame that Eccleston and his enormous ears didn't last longer.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

Kill the Moon is actually pretty good. Forest almost manages to be good but the KIDS DON'T NEED MEDS message is really hosed up.

You just gotta learn to understand the stories as being based on thematic logic instead of psuedoscientific bases.

No. I don't care that they ran on fake science, I care that they cheated. Kill the Moon was only able to reach its endpoint by bullshitting past every completely valid reasonable point of argument possible, not even overlooking it, just taking a valid, empirical point as to why its conclusion was erroneous and going "nah, it doesn't actually work like that." When, of course, it actually does. And even beyond that, every single plot beat hit some kind of contrivance that made my nose wrinkle. Why was Chloe smuggling Windex in her spacesuit, was she that neurotic about puking? Where was she smuggling it? Whyfore the fat comic-relief astronauts, when someone that out of shape would have been smeared across their seat by the g-force like a booger on the underside of a desk? Then you had the pointless "world voting" scene, the repeated, ignorant, outright contradiction of exceedingly basic science, the under-explanation of vital plot points, the off-putting abortion-debate analogue, and - most damningly, my same issue with "Journey's End" - the fact that Kill the Moon was a vital point in the season's overall arc, what with that whole Clara-Doctor blowout at the end. Blithe, lazy, insulting trash from start to finish.

Forest of the Night takes those same issues and compounds it with a dozen awful child actors and the aforementioned "meds" moral. Season 8 seems to be a really didactic season - appropriate when the Companion is a teacher and the Doctor comes off as a pissy tenured professor half the time - and teaching false messages, or actively harmful ones, is especially inexcusable in that context.

Thank Christ that those were the only real downbeats for me thus far. Moffat seems to have an awful lot of credits in this batch of episodes and he provides a safe quality baseline, with dudes like Mathieson providing peaks and the liches in charge of those two episodes giving me deep, dark valleys.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Oxxidation posted:

No. I don't care that they ran on fake science, I care that they cheated. Kill the Moon was only able to reach its endpoint by bullshitting past every completely valid reasonable point of argument possible, not even overlooking it, just taking a valid, empirical point as to why its conclusion was erroneous and going "nah, it doesn't actually work like that." When, of course, it actually does. And even beyond that, every single plot beat hit some kind of contrivance that made my nose wrinkle. Why was Chloe smuggling Windex in her spacesuit, was she that neurotic about puking? Where was she smuggling it? Whyfore the fat comic-relief astronauts, when someone that out of shape would have been smeared across their seat by the g-force like a booger on the underside of a desk? Then you had the pointless "world voting" scene, the repeated, ignorant, outright contradiction of exceedingly basic science, the under-explanation of vital plot points, the off-putting abortion-debate analogue, and - most damningly, my same issue with "Journey's End" - the fact that Kill the Moon was a vital point in the season's overall arc, what with that whole Clara-Doctor blowout at the end. Blithe, lazy, insulting trash from start to finish.

Forest of the Night takes those same issues and compounds it with a dozen awful child actors and the aforementioned "meds" moral. Season 8 seems to be a really didactic season - appropriate when the Companion is a teacher and the Doctor comes off as a pissy tenured professor half the time - and teaching false messages, or actively harmful ones, is especially inexcusable in that context.

Thank Christ that those were the only real downbeats for me thus far. Moffat seems to have an awful lot of credits in this batch of episodes and he provides a safe quality baseline, with dudes like Mathieson providing peaks and the liches in charge of those two episodes giving me deep, dark valleys.

There are loads of issues with Kill the Moon and Forest but I'm so used to people taking issue with stuff that ISN'T bad in them that I went off on you unreasonably.

As for the abortion thing, I think Moon made a serious effort to be as careful about it as possible given its plot. The decision is made exclusively by women, for one. But yeah.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

adhuin posted:

That's actually pretty good. Shame that Eccleston and his enormous ears didn't last longer.

Eccleston is still the best nuWho Doctor.

Yeah, I said it.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

DoctorWhat posted:

There are loads of issues with Kill the Moon and Forest but I'm so used to people taking issue with stuff that ISN'T bad in them that I went off on you unreasonably.

As for the abortion thing, I think Moon made a serious effort to be as careful about it as possible given its plot. The decision is made exclusively by women, for one. But yeah.

Problem is that in this metaphor, the Planet plays the part of a Woman and the 3 characters decide against her wishes, what's best for her Uterus Moon.

A Very poor choice/use of a metaphor.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Robot of Sherwood is one of my favorite episodes of the past season. It's so funny and perfect the way Capaldi interacts with the Merry Men and Robin Hood. Great episode.

Today I finished up another Tom Baker audio, The Renaissance Man. It is amazing how 80 year old Tom just absolutely nails his younger self. Like you'd imagine he might be a bit old and out of it, but not at all. He sounds more like his tv voice than almost any of the other Doctors, and you'd imagine that being the oldest and farthest from playing the part it'd be the hardest. Or that he'd stumble over the more esoteric sci-fi dialogue. But nope, he's dashing around the room, throwing out technobabble, outsmarting bad guys, charming everyone, and just utterly nailing it. And I'm not even a big 4th Doctor fan. He's winning me over though, much like McGann did with 8 who became one of my favorites after hearing his audios.

Another nice touch is the music. The score and cues sound exactly like the ones from the 70s. Now, it would distract from the story if a 5 audio had a bunch of synth stuff, or we had to listen to a serious 7/Ace/Hex audio with Keff McCulloch Keffing it up all over the place. But in these 4DAs it's so right.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Barry Foster posted:

Here's someone doing a half decent impression of the Ninth Doctor doing a decent impression of the Eleventh Doctor.

THis is genuinely pretty good, although the delivery could be better. This is something that would've gotten Nine very shouty, I don't really buy 'cheerfully calm' in this instance.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I forgot, I received After The War's gift earlier this week and I can't wait to unleash that insanity upon my unsuspecting friends.

For reference, this is what I received, in CD form:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qb6DqiNb3A

Thank you, thank you, you mad bastard. :getin:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

Kill the Moon is actually pretty good. Forest almost manages to be good but the KIDS DON'T NEED MEDS message is really hosed up.

You just gotta learn to understand the stories as being based on thematic logic instead of psuedoscientific bases.

Yeah. Kill the Moon is definitely one of the most divisive episodes of the season and justifiably so. I do think even if you really like it, as I do, you can understand people's complaints with it. Forest is a little too obvious in eyeroll worthy ways, which I am generally able to forgive Doctor Who for, and the medication thing, I really think, is an attempt a Harvey-like message about forced conformity, so I can't hate it, I just think it fails in execution at a great many of the things it tries to do. I definitely agree with Oxx that the Mathieson episodes were just the sort of thing Doctor Who needs. I hope they can get him for an episode or two for the next couple of seasons.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the big problem with Forest of the Night is that it never really went anywhere.

adhuin posted:

Problem is that in this metaphor, the Planet plays the part of a Woman and the 3 characters decide against her wishes, what's best for her Uterus Moon.

A Very poor choice/use of a metaphor.
If you think it was this then they correctly decided not to get involved. But I don't think an (inanimate) egg ever can be analogous to a pregnancy nor do I think they intended for it to be so.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The Master has a chocolate fountain in his TARDIS? :allears::toot:

Also, if you haven't received your gifts yet, remember the deadline for posting was Wednesday just gone so they may still be in the system.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Astroman posted:

Robot of Sherwood is one of my favorite episodes of the past season. It's so funny and perfect the way Capaldi interacts with the Merry Men and Robin Hood. Great episode.

Today I finished up another Tom Baker audio, The Renaissance Man. It is amazing how 80 year old Tom just absolutely nails his younger self. Like you'd imagine he might be a bit old and out of it, but not at all. He sounds more like his tv voice than almost any of the other Doctors, and you'd imagine that being the oldest and farthest from playing the part it'd be the hardest. Or that he'd stumble over the more esoteric sci-fi dialogue. But nope, he's dashing around the room, throwing out technobabble, outsmarting bad guys, charming everyone, and just utterly nailing it. And I'm not even a big 4th Doctor fan. He's winning me over though, much like McGann did with 8 who became one of my favorites after hearing his audios.

Another nice touch is the music. The score and cues sound exactly like the ones from the 70s. Now, it would distract from the story if a 5 audio had a bunch of synth stuff, or we had to listen to a serious 7/Ace/Hex audio with Keff McCulloch Keffing it up all over the place. But in these 4DAs it's so right.

I really enjoyed that, it's full of wonderful little touches (the Doctor getting a phone-call from an unexpected source and explaining what was said is brilliant) and lots of fun between the Doctor and Leela, particularly the bit where this happens (paraphrased) :

Baddie: Surrender immediately!
Leela: I could kill him easily Doctor, let me slice his throat!
Doctor (sighing): Oh.... alright then.
Leela: Really? FINALLY! :haw:
Doctor: No I mean we surrender.
Leela: Oh. :smith:

She's just so excited when she thinks he's given her the green light to kill.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think the big problem with Forest of the Night is that it never really went anywhere.
If you think it was this then they correctly decided not to get involved. But I don't think an (inanimate) egg ever can be analogous to a pregnancy nor do I think they intended for it to be so.

It might not have been the writer's intent, but a LOT of people (or a very vocal minority on the Internet) saw it that way. It makes drawing the interpretation valid, but also very, very tricky to talk about without the conversation turning south. I managed to review it without mentioning the idea, but the potential for discussion about it was there...

Kill the Moon was a memorable episode, but it suffers from (I believe) the Doctor acting way out of character and some really, really, REALLY bad quasi-science.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I think the characterization in Kill the Moon makes up for a lot, but also that it has a lot to make up for.

I go back and forth on Forest. I think it's ultimately crippled by a very clumsy script and a better one that hit similar themes could have made for an utterly fantastic episode.

But basically:

Oxxidation posted:

Thank God for Jamie Mathieson

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

docbeard posted:

I think it's ultimately crippled by a very clumsy script and a better one that hit similar themes could have made for an utterly fantastic episode.

Can't this be said of most bad Doctor Who episodes, though? I can think of very few that have an outright bad premise.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Can't this be said of most bad Doctor Who episodes, though? I can think of very few that have an outright bad premise.

I suppose it is a bit like I just said "If the episode had been better, it wouldn't have been as bad", but I think the script flaws were especially glaring here, like they just threw a first draft up on the screen and hoped for the best.

My roommate really liked Forest but she's really into mythic stuff.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Barry Foster posted:

Decent impression, but very flat.

OK, so it's not a shock that random youtube guy isn't as good as actor as Christopher Eccleston but here we are

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oxxidation posted:

If I was a different man, I'd find a post of yours making fun of me disliking Season 8 during one of these two episodes.

I am not a different man however because I am infinitely lazy.

Welcome to the fold, say hi to two of the worst written episodes of Who made in quite a long time!

Why Doctor Who

You can be so much better than this

Why

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Burkion posted:

If I was a different man, I'd find a post of yours making fun of me disliking Season 8 during one of these two episodes.

You'd be looking for an awfully long time, because no such posts exist. This is the first time I've piped up on anything related to S8.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

But I don't think an (inanimate) egg ever can be analogous to a pregnancy

Well that's certainly an opinion

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Oxxidation posted:

You'd be looking for an awfully long time, because no such posts exist. This is the first time I've piped up on anything related to S8.

No it's not. I forget when, but at some point when we were being negative you made a joke about it.

As said, way too lazy to go back and check. I remember thinking it was weird you didn't like these episodes either, and then you made a remark a short time later about not having seen season 8 yet on the review thread.

I have a good memory, I just cannot be bothered to use it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Burkion posted:

No it's not. I forget when, but at some point when we were being negative you made a joke about it.

As said, way too lazy to go back and check. I remember thinking it was weird you didn't like these episodes either, and then you made a remark a short time later about not having seen season 8 yet on the review thread.

I have a good memory, I just cannot be bothered to use it.

Well as luck would have it, I've got an excellent memory and a strong can-do attitude, so I just quickly backchecked my posts and found no references to S8. Several involving Occupation and scorpions, true, but nothing about S8. I'm the winner, now please give me my trophy and my motorcycle.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Trophy and motorcycle? What kind of thread do you think this is.

Trophy and racing car

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Trophy and racing car

This racing car:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Trophy and racing car

sunsweet
Nov 13, 2012

"Lana look," Rusev pointed out to the screen, "Pinkie Pie just scared Twilight Sparkle shitless! I love America and shit they put on TV!"

Why am I not surprised that this is apparently from the Pertwee era? I know what I'm watching next.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

BSam posted:

Yup. The Begining just arrived. Brilliant!

I hope you like it! Imo the first serial is a little weak but the daleks and edge of destruction are both good.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

Well as luck would have it, I've got an excellent memory and a strong can-do attitude, so I just quickly backchecked my posts and found no references to S8. Several involving Occupation and scorpions, true, but nothing about S8. I'm the winner, now please give me my trophy and my motorcycle.

:sigh: Fine.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Kill the moon is a terrible, terrible episode with awesome chemistry and acting, which is the opposite of my complaints about a lot of the season, and I enjoyed it more than I expected, because when it comes down to it most of my enjoyment from the show comes from watching The Doctor be The Doctor (whatever that means for a given doctor), and I really felt like Capaldi fully found his doctor in this one.

I also enjoyed Sherwood more than I expected too, for similar reasons. I was pretty sure I'd hate it based on the trailer from the previous episode, but much like The Unicorn and The Wasp (which is one of my favorite episodes, screw you general forum consensus :argh:), it just goes for over the top silliness, doesn't take itself seriously, and positively revels in the campiness. Plus, again, I felt like Capaldi was getting to try out some different moods on with the doctor, and again really settle himself more solidly into who exactly he'll be.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I love Kill the Moon. I also feel like you have to reach pretty hard to get an abortion debate out of it, but we've had this discussion before!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Android Blues posted:

I love Kill the Moon. I also feel like you have to reach pretty hard to get an abortion debate out of it, but we've had this discussion before!

I don't think you have to reach pretty hard. You certainly don't have to reach further than the production team did (remember the "ABORTED" display readout when the detonation was cancelled? Stuff like that is intentional.)

I think treating it as an anti-abortion and/or anti-choice screed is a bit of a stretch, in the same way that treating the Master -> Missy change as being straightforwardly about real-life trans issues doesn't quite work: the metaphors don't quite scan. But those plotpoints DO comment on and consider their respective subjects to a degree.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Oh so the bomb represents the fetus and stopping the explosion represents having an abortion?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Android Blues posted:

Should you be able to kill an unborn baby if it will kill the life of the "host"?

TADA WHAT A loving REACH

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Oh so the bomb represents the fetus and stopping the explosion represents having an abortion?

Again, the metaphor doesn't line up with the events of the actual story, no matter how you rotate things. But there are definitely overlapping themes and concerns and arguments, and the episode is aware of them. It's not what it's about, but the production team wasn't oblivious. I posit that, after initial story treatments and scripts were completed, the commonalities were noticed and the script/SFX/other elements were adjusted as a form of acknowledgement.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

I think treating it as an anti-abortion and/or anti-choice screed is a bit of a stretch, in the same way that treating the Master -> Missy change as being straightforwardly about real-life trans issues doesn't quite work: the metaphors don't quite scan. But those plotpoints DO comment on and consider their respective subjects to a degree.

This is a better way of putting than I have the last time this came up.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I enjoyed "Robot of Sherwood". It was fun. I was not really expecting much else. But I thought the same of Gatiss's other "the Doctor meets an historical figure" episodes ("The Unquiet Dead" and "The Shakespeare Code"), which were also enjoyable and fun, so :shrug:

The way "In the Forest of the Night" turned out was especially disappointing, I think, because someone with as much experience writing childrens' fiction as Frank Cottrell Boyce probably ought to have cottoned on to the implications of the medication angle.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 19, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

This is a better way of putting than I have the last time this came up.

Well I AM an amazing rhetorician-slash-genius. Ask anybody!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Metal Loaf posted:

I enjoyed "Robot of Sherwood". It was fun. I was not really expecting much else. But I thought the same of Gatiss's other "the Doctor meets an historical figure" episodes ("The Unquiet Dead" and "The Shakespeare Code"), which were also enjoyable and fun, so :shrug:

The way "In the Forest of the Night" turned out was especially disappointing, I think, because someone with as much experience writing childrens' fiction as Frank Cottrell Boyce probably ought to have cottoned on to the implications of the medication angle.

"Shakespeare" was Gareth Roberts, not Gatiss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

IT BEGINS

• Locked thread